All parent member reviews for The Croods

Parent Written byrizkisari March 23, 2013

colourfull movie good for the whole family

It is a fun and colourfull movie.Family can enjoy it together.Beginning of the movie was a bit dark and intense,especially Grud used the ending of hes story. It abused the family members and makes them really scared. After that the movie was ok because it explore and make kids think and act problem solving with creativity.
Educator and Parent Written by4OHickeys March 23, 2013

Way Above My Expectations - Great Family Movie!

I originally did not want to see this movie AT ALL. I wasn't impressed with the previews and really couldn't imagine where this storyline could go. I imagined the characters being flat, chased by (or chasing) dinosaurs, or hanging out in the cave. Boy, WAS I WRONG! This movie has a great storyline, meaningful subjects, beautiful animation, imaginative/out-of-the-box prehistoric animals and moves along very well. I enjoyed and appreciated this movie on many levels and found myself laughing out loud as much as both of my sons. The chase and running from danger scenes were never gratuitous or filler to move the movie along. They were all meaningful and actually very funny when you consider really how imaginative the animals really were (brightly colored, enlarged and merged figures such as a brightly-colored saber-toothed tigers and elephant mice). My 8-year-old loved it and said it was a definite see-in-the-theater movie (next time in 3D, he said) and for our download/DVD library when the time comes.
Adult Written bycourtwork April 16, 2013

Fun and entertaining - two thumbs up

I give The Croods two thumbs up. This movie has exciting action, incredible animation, lovable characters, and a compelling story line. I appreciate DreamWorks' choices to entertain using humor without being sexual, rude, or demeaning. The character development of the father and his relationship with his family, especially Eep is very touching. There are a number of intense chase scenes, where the main characters are being chased by giant prehistoric animals, with many near misses. I think it would be too scary for my 6 year old. My husband and I took our 10 year old, and we all three really enjoyed it. I recommend this movie for ages 8 and up.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byCamcam March 26, 2013

Excellent Family Movie

This movie was entertaining, it had a message and the characters were believable. Some of the prehistoric animals were a little "different" but my grandkids found it fun to explore their imaginations and decide what the species were since most were a combination of two animals (walking whales, flying turtles). We really enjoyed this movie.
Parent Written byMommy2013 April 5, 2013

Watch with caution.

I did not like that one of the Croods characters in this movie behaved completely like a dog (the baby) she growled and ran on all fours like a dog for the entire movie not just parts of it. And another part that I didn't like was that when one character was telling a story it sounded too closely to the story in the bible of Adam and Eve and the forbidden fruit or tree. The story instead sounds like it's siding with the snake that encourages rebellion. The story explains that there is a female tiger and her father tells her she can go anywhere except to a particular cliff. The tiger goes to that forbidden cliff and she finds light and beauty and she can even fly. otherwise this movie is entertaining with good quality animation or visual effects and cutesy. It is funny. I agree with the description of this movie about the violence, danger and risk. And concerns about the end of the world as these themes can make young children nervous. Parents should explain to children as they watch together. It can serve as a learning opportunity.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byMeredithR March 30, 2013

Fun family movie, best for older kids and adults

I saw this in the theater with kids ages 7, 6, 4 and 3. I loved it. It actually had me laughing out loud in parts. Lots of older kid and very tame adult humor. Here's what we thought: 6 and 7 year olds: Loved it! (They both like the Ice Ace movies and said The Croods is better.) They did think the chase scenes were scary but those scenes are over quickly and aren't gruesome. They questioned why the family had to leave their home and what all the lava was about (i.e. end of the world conversation). 3 and 4 year olds: The younger ones enjoyed it and sat in their seats the whole time (a first!), but it was a bit scary for them. They missed a lot of the inferences to death, safety, and the end of the world, but there are several chase scenes with wild scary animals, and while the people are meant to resemble a humorous depiction of cavemen, they were a little too wild and crazy for this age. My 3 year old had nightmares the night after seeing the movie, telling me he was afraid the mean tiger was going to eat him. Overall: This movie moves fast and is super entertaining. No gross blood and guts, and there aren't any scary death scenes with the exception of a creepy scene where killer birds flock together and eat an entire animal, leaving the bones behind. Be prepared to discuss the end of the world concept. There are some violent type actions between the Crood family members - bonking heads, running over each other, etc. - reminiscent of Looney Tunes. This movie is definitely NOT for kids under 5 or 6, and the older they are the more they'll enjoy it.
Parent Written byDan G. March 22, 2013

The best family movie so far this year

This is the best family movie so far this year. Based on the title, I expected a lot of 'crood' humor, but there is none. The storyline is good, the characters well developed, and positive messages abound. There is some suspense and a few frightening parts, but otherwise this is a good movie for any school-aged child.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy April 16, 2013

The Croods was TRULY a great movie.

Wow, I really laughed while I watched The Croods. I love that belt character. Because I always laughed when he said "DA, DA, DAAAA!" The grandmother was really funny too.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymomma18 April 2, 2013

Go and have fun!

So, so fun! Took my 7 and 10-year olds and their 11 and 14-year old cousins to the 3D. It was enjoyed by all...even me! The action was very exciting and the humor was entertaining. There was only 1 or 2 spots where I checked my 7-year old to see if she was handling the suspense okay, and she was fine. I must be a whimp because I had a "little water in my eye" at the ending. Nice message about protecting your family and learning to try new things. Beautiful animation. The 3D was fun, but probably not necessary to enjoy the movie just as much. A good show for spring break!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjenn1001 April 2, 2013

Go see this - you won't regret it.

The only violence is of the hunting/caveman variety and cartoony. The message of "following the light" and not letting your fears hold you back and the importance of family is timeless and should be repeated over and over. We loved it.
Adult Written bygbsfan March 30, 2013

Really good

I really enjoyed this movie. It had a good plot and was funny. It is a bit violent though, but nothing more than you'd expect to find in a PG movie. Some scenes may be a bit scary for younger children, but older children should be able to handle them just fine.
Parent of a 4, 4, and 8 year old Written bytammrudy March 24, 2013

The Croods will improve your mood!

This was fun for everyone...I mean everyone! My husband and I were laughing out loud along with the kids and all of the other kids/adults in the theater. Amazing visuals that keep your attention and a great story that moves along at a nice pace... adult behind me said the visuals reminded him of Avatar. The physical humor was funny and felt fresh. Very few worrisome moments for younger kids so If you want a happy night - see this movie.
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byMomma comma July 16, 2013

Not another dumb film

I admit when I first saw this I get not have high expectations at all. Take 1 for the team. I was wrong. It was amazing, the best. But the 2nd time, kill me now. That is why it has 4 stars. For the kids, it was pretty violent. Mountains falling, a character seeming dead. Not bad, but noticeable. It also has some flirting or relationship stuff. Plus, it has Emma stone and Ryan Reynolds for you if you do watch this fillm.
Parent Written bymomof2plus June 4, 2013

Fun Summer Family Movie!

Some very funny moments... good messages... creative movie! Enjoyed stepping back in time with The Croods! I would use caution with more sensitive children though as there is a sense of danger throughout. All in all a great movie!
Adult Written byWill loves movies May 31, 2013

Croods

The Croods is a great family flick. The voice acting is incredible especially by Stone, Reynolds, and Cage. The message is accepting one another for who they are and sacrifice. The last 20 minutes or so of this movie is quite intense. In fact, I heard kids crying in the theatre I was in. This movie is a great family movie.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper March 31, 2013

...

This movie had good role models and messages. It does contain some action that might be scary for really little kids and also has the slang phrase "sucky" in it.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycaribbeandream March 28, 2013

Go watch next year's Oscar winner for animated movie!

The makers of "How to Train your Dragon" hit another home run with this movie. It's heart-warming, laugh-out-loud-funny, and the animation is jaw-dropping amazing. My only one teensie-weensie issue is that they animators should have covered up the teenage daugher a bit more. She never behaved inappropriately but she showed too much skin. Other than that, I give this move two thumbs up!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bymcgold34 October 5, 2013

Fun family movie!

We watched The Croods with our 8 and 5 year olds. My 5 year old son was a little scared at the beginning (he has always been sensitive) but he stuck with it (we encouraged him to give it a shot... partly due to the many positive comments that I read on Common Sense). Sure enough, shortly after the introduction of Guy, he was loving it. There was a lot of peril in the movie (fear of "the end" was a big theme), but one of the messages of the movie was that living in fear isn't living (you need to explore and continually adapt to changes in life and that not all change is bad). The Crood family stuck together throughout and loved each other. We all ended up really enjoying the movie! Highly recommend it for family movie night!
Parent Written bymadshopper April 7, 2013

Fun movie

Both us parents and our 7-year old daughter liked this movie. I would echo the other reviews: great animation, funny but not in a stupid or crude way, and engaging. As a mother, I liked that the main character was a strong girl that looked different from the a lot of those other cartoon females out there. There is a scary creature that chases the family which may be too intense for the 5 and under crowd. There was an ongoing crush between the two main characters throughout the movie which may make some parents uncomfortable. Otherwise, it's a good choice for 7 and up.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bygoldfishy April 5, 2013

A little scary for little ones

There were a few scary scenes but everything turns out fine in the end. Great animation.