All member reviews for The Dark Knight

Excellent sequel much darker, more violent than the first.

Adult Written bypzacle@gmail.com April 9, 2008

How do you explain a psychopath to a kid?

The questions I've received from my mature 12 year old since the movie: Why do psychopaths want to kill, and wreck havoc, for its own sake? Are there really people like the joker in the world? Do we really have to get as bad as they are to stop them from hurting us? Can they be stopped? My daughter has had nightmares every night for a week. My recommendation is that parents exercise a higher level of caution than usual when considering this movie.
Adult Written byjeddsdad April 9, 2008

Intense experience

The Dark Knight went beyond the typical comic book film. It was an Intense experience that took me as the viewer through an wide range of emotions and engaged my brain. While I loved the movie, I came out of the showing needing time to process everything that was thrown at me over the last 2 1/2 hours. This film is definitely not for children. The viewer needs to be able to handle the emotion and reality that is put in front of them. While the violence happens quickly some actions are still shocking. All-in-all, still an excellent film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byChristian_girl March 13, 2010

The Creepiest PG-13 Film of the Year Award

Me and Daddy went to see Batman Begins at the theater. Great, but not the best. Then we saw The Dark Knight. Scary, but really well-made. Daddy says he could watch this every night. Trust me, I believe him. He's much more into eeriness than I am. I looked it up, and that is a word, but that's beside the point. The point is that no one should see this movie until they're a teen. And even then, it might freak them out a bit. Everyone else was good, but the Joker made the show. That also means he was in it a lot. Not only does he look scary, he is scary. People are shot, stabbed, poisoned, burned, blown up, and hanged from a skyscraper. (the gallows kind of "hanged") All on camera. If that doesn't help you decide on the movie, I don't know what will. Besides the language. The start and middle of the movie aren't that bad, but once you get towards the end, it starts getting bad. They take the Lord and his Son's name in vain numerous times. As you can tell by my username, I don't like that. But bottom line. This is kind of a horror film. Do not watch with small children, or any children, for that matter. Well, I guess teens might be okay.
Adult Written bydavis4 April 9, 2008

pretty violent

whew, i'm so glad i didn't bring my 8 and 10 yr old kids to this even though they are dying to see it!! they would not have slept for weeks! very scary and very, very violent. in my opinion they should save this stuff for die hard and make batman ok for kids
Adult Written byzannalee April 9, 2008

Excellent, but not for everyone

This is by far one of the best films I've ever seen. The story is rather familiar territory (with several twists), the action is mind-boggling, and the characterizations are excellent. The themes and questions raised are honorable and timely, though a bit mature. I believe this film, as mesmerizing as it is, falls just shy of an "R" rating. The language and sexuality are minimal, but the violence is intense and shocking. It's not so much what's shown, but I was surprised by the sheer volume and scope of it. The Joker, played wonderfully by Heath Ledger, scared me and is sure to terrify children. I would not take a child to this film, and I would exercise caution in allowing teens to see it. Overall an incredible piece of work for an adult audience.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byachj39 April 9, 2008

Too violent for PG-13

As the parent of three boys ages 19, 11, and 9, this movie was looked forward to in our household. Unfortunately when my husband and I saw it to prescreen the movie before the kids, we found it to be far too violent and the plot too involved for our two youngest boys. I don't know how much more violent it could have been to earn an R rating! This movie was for too intense for any child under the age of 17. The Joker was evil through and through with graphic displays of violence like slamming a guys face onto a sharp pencil and graphically slashing several people to give them a "joker smile". Not a kid friendly batman.
Teen, 13 years old Written byaidanqm1996 August 23, 2009

Kind of tiring, too long, joker's pretty freaky.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bydadofmace October 16, 2009

Whether you like comic books or not, this is a classic.

This is the master of all comic book stories. But the depth of the subtext in this movie is well above a pre-teen's head. Heck, most of the time, I was depressed myself. Obviously very violent. On the good note, there are some people in this movie who urge you to believe in the fact that people will choose good more often than not. A good message. Do not show this movie in its entirety to kids under 10. Its scary, the villian can't be understood, and there is some real sense of dread in here.
Adult Written bystacymavros April 9, 2008

VERY dark, more for adults but really well done.

Parents be cautioned...this is more for older teens. Subject content gets progressively more dark as movie unfolds. Heath Ledger was nothing less than BRILLIANT--down to every last creepy detail. The Joker is a sick, twisted murderer with a comical line tossed in here & there--great for us adults, not for kids. Ledger should receive numerous awards for his performance...so sad he won't be here to see how well appreciated this role is. The special effects and action sequences were AMAZING! What a ride! Two-Face's two faces were so realistic they made me cringe...perfect make-up effects. I highly recommend this movie for any adult who likes a visually stimulating, well written blockbuster.
Adult Written bysaneone April 9, 2008

Sick and disturbing violence.

I do not understand anyone letting their children under the age 17 watch this senselessly violent and dementedly sadistic movie. It says much about today's society and the caliber of the masses....
Adult Written byGoing Gadget April 24, 2011

The Best Batman Movie

Great movie, I love it..., I love Christian Bale, I think he is the best Batman ever, his voice is so Batman.
Adult Written bySinkingFast February 9, 2011

Great for fans of Batman, young and old

Some imagery may be too dark for younger viewers, such as Harvey Dent's burns, a graphic knife wound/corpse in the unrated version, or innocents being killed. But anyone who is a fan of Batman will enjoy the action in this movie. The only reason I don't rate it below 12+ is because I find the more adult nature and themes struggling with morality may bore younger viewers between the bouts of action or main story progression. It deals with something Batman has always had to struggle with. He, as a rule, does not kill, as his parents were murdered. Even though he knows if he crosses that line to kill, and stop, the Joker, he cannot go back. He displays the characteristics of a noble hero, a good role model, in choosing to not kill another human being. We do see Batman struggle with other moral choices, however, such as the questionable act of spying on every citizen in Gotham. As well as a selfish act which causes him to lose someone dear to him. It is a harsh lesson for Batman but it helps him to then act selflessly, something displayed in the movie's final scenes. We also see the good in other human beings, how ordinary citizens can make a heroic choice, in a specific scene in which the Joker tries to prove that anyone can be a bad guy given the proper circumstances. Alcohol consumption is minimal, as is product placement. Our heroes are clear cut as are our villains. There are bikini clad girls at one point, implications of making out, and a passionate kiss between Bruce and Rachel. There is no nudity or sex to be wary of. We see the transformation from Hero to Villain in a certain character and how Batman is always walking the fine line between good and bad. The movie shows the hero, in all but one scene, acting selflessly, both in and out of costume. If your child is mature this movie can be seen by younger viewers who are fans of Batman.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhansolo5150 December 7, 2010

One of the best movies ever, but the PG-13 rating is appropriate

I just want to say first, this is an incredible movie, and one of my favorites of all time, but it is very dark and disturbing. If you're used to those weird animated Batman T.V. show, then this will be the wake-up call of the century! It goes back to what Batman was created as, and was always meant to be: A dark, brooding, and violent vigilante. The lines between hero and villian are blurred often, as Batman tends to do in the name of justice many of the things The Joker does in the name of chaos. However, Batman sense of righteousness and care for the people he protects comes out to make an incredible ending. Gary Oldman is just as incredible as Police Commissioner Gordon, who shares the same sense of justice, and Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent, who's great politics in this movie are only beat by Harrison Ford's character in Air Force One. This is a real life view of evil and anarchy, and the lengths the Police (and bat-masked vigilantes, in this case) have to go to to stop it. Lot's of violence, such as: a thug being slammed face-first into a pencil thats been stuck into a table, a bomb being surgically implanted into a thug (not shown) and detonated while he's still alive (shown), robbers turn against each other and kill one another in the midst of a robbery(under the Jokers orders), and plenty more. The Joker holds two people(at different scenes) at knifepoint (he plans to kill both times, but only succeeds once) telling them disturbing story's while he has them. Standard PG-13 language, not to much to worry about. Not much in the way of sexual content either. Overall, an incredible movie, but listen to the PG-13 rating!
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 15, 2010

Not only the best superhero movie of all time, but also one of the best movies of all time

I can only put this in one word: WOW. It's hard to describe my feelings for this movie, but make no mistake, all of them are the most positivie possible. Let's start with the acting: phenonomal and Oscar-worthy, especially Heath Ledger, who was magnificent as the Joker. Everyone else did a great job too, but the Joker was the true interest in the movie. Next up, the story, compelling and original, no doubt. The action was fantastic; fast, exciting, and explosive, and there's plenty to go around in the two and a half hour run time. And speaking of it's length, it really is a long movie, but that's the beauty of it: evewn if, during the movie, you wonder when it will be over, once it actually is, you won't want it to stop (or, at least I didn't). Parents: There's a lot of intense violence and scary characters, especially the Joker; he's manical and twisted, and he likes it. Plenty of people die and almost every character (major or minor) is in extreme peril at some point. Bottom Line: An absolute must-see if you haven't already and a must-re-watch if you already have. I really love this movie; it's great. But, rembember, not everyone may like this movie. So, just give it a try, and then decide for yourself. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Kid, 9 years old October 13, 2009

SCARY

i watched at least five minutes.., TOO SCARY! turned it off and returned it the next day
Kid, 10 years old January 21, 2011

Adult Written byMovie Man August 7, 2009

Quite Possibly the Best Film I've Ever Seen.

Every once in a while, certain movies come along that blow our minds. Then in even rarer situations, some movies come along that make us want to watch it again and again. Then something else happens, something completely new and utterly rare; one of a kind. A movie is released; but not just any movie; movies like this have a name: masterpiece. This is without a doubt one of the best films I've ever seen. It made me thank God for a mastepiece such as this. Christopher Nolan, thank you. To the cast, thank you. This film is fantastic; no, it's unbelievalby masterful; no, in fact, there are no words that could remotely describe or even make you fathom how possibly awe-inspiring this film is. You cannot even compare other movies to this film. It's unfair. Every film will lose. Parents: Although this film is undescribeably fantastically amazing, it is quiote violent. Heath Ledger's the Joker (although the best preformance I've seen in the last decade) is enormously scary, especially his tales of how he got his scars. Two-Face isn't much different; he has a possibly even scarier face, but less horrific stories to tell. There is a lot of action inclding a huge chase scene through undergorund tunnels. There are also some very emotional deaths of major characters we've come to love. Parents, also watch out for "magic trick," although it is a brilliant move, it will highly disturb kids under at least 11, but I still say 15+. Overall, if you haven't seen this film, do so. You won';t regret it. In fact, you'll probably thank me for recommending it (not to sound like a schmuck). I also heard that Christopher Nolan was making a third one; but I don't think it can be as good as this masterpiece of cinema. Not that I doubt Nolan's potential (especially not after this film), but I doubt that there can be better film making than this; and if there is, and if Nolan can make a better film than this... oh man! I can;t even begin to think of a film more well-made, more excellent than this! Now that, ladies and gentlemen, blows my mind!
Adult Written byapilgrims April 9, 2008

Kids don't need to see this

I just re-read the ratings guidelines at the MPAA and, while it leaves lots of room for a judgment call, I've got to say that this should have been an R rating. The violence was intense but fairly standard, nothing sleazy, but the detailed exploration of the mental territory of a psychotic mass murderer was worthy of Hannibal Lector and was deeply disturbing. If you weren't deeply disturbed, you might want to ask yourself why you weren't. Even if you're perfectly comfortable with exploring Ledger's admittedly brilliant turn as a Joker who savors the emotions of terror in his victims, any parent worth his salt should recognize that this material is not for children. "Oh, they're gonna see it some time..." just doesn't fly with me any more. Kids don't build up real defenses against evil by being marinated in it; they often do become callous and indifferent to it, and their parents make the mistake of thinking that's healthy somehow. "I took my five year old to Saw III and he just laughed the whole time!!" Greeeeaat. Thanks for that fabulous parenting job there, slick. Can't wait till your boy moves in next door to my daughters someday. At some point folks have got to realize that kids (and I include 14 and 15 yr olds in that category) are not miniature adults- their judgment and emotions have not fully developed and can be stunted and damaged by early exposure to bad stuff. Elephants do a better job protecting their young than people in this culture do.
Teen, 17 years old Written bywaffles4waffles July 20, 2010

it was the best batman movie i have ever seen it was violent throughout the movie the joker has been the best one and it was just a great movie but not for the younger ones
Adult Written byMentoring Mom April 9, 2008

Discuss this movie with your children or don't go!

If you are going to take your kid to this movie, be sure and discuss it afterward. What parts were confusing? What is the point the author was trying to make? I get scared when I read the kids' reviews of this movie. They were apparently blown away by the special effects and the (mostly implied) violence, but do they understand the sacrifices Batman has to make? Is vigilantism okay? Why does the Joker behave as he does? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? What causes Harvey Dent to change so dramatically? If you won't talk about these things afterward, don't take your kids, because you won't know what aspects of the film they'll take away with them. The psychological violence in the movie is far worse than the physical violence, and for that reason it does deserve a LOT more thought on the part of the parents than other violent PG-13 films. "Scary and dark" doesn't begin to cover it. I loved it by the way, as did my kids. Heath Ledger deserves an Academy Award, and I hope he gets it. Excellent screenplay, too.