All member reviews for The Dragon Pearl

Family-friendly adventure full of magic and battles.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byChare214 August 11, 2013

Great movie for 7 and up

This was a very good movie for kids 7 and up. Even younger can watch it because the violence is very minimum. The younger ages may not understand it. I watched it with my 8 year old son and we both really enjoyed it. I am not sure why it was rated 11 and up.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byLisette's Mom July 26, 2013

Disappointingly Sappy

I rented it to watch with my 13 year old, and we never got past the first 30 minutes. It's too sappy and squeaky clean for tweens if you ask me--the guy who plays the monk is not just comic, but really goofy and his characterization is uneven. The girl who plays Ling is stiff and uninteresting. The friction between the father and son over the divorce is old and trite. The set makes it look like you just bumble from one quaint hamlet to the next pristine archealogical find when you you visit China. I would set the appropriate age at 9 at the oldest.
Kid, 12 years old September 9, 2013

Funny Chinese Movie

The violence was expected, held a knife up to the boy's throat like in any movie there is a bad guy. They threw knives, but no guns in the movie. The dragon was a beautiful Chinese dragon with fuzzy eyebrows. Not scary at all. We watched this with little brothers and sisters age 2, 5, 7, 9, 11 and me 12. No one was scared. It was about an Australian boy and a Chinese girl but they are just friends. Hilarious monk helps the kids.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byvalleymomma June 28, 2015
I watched this with my 7 year old. She isn't used to fight scenes and was a little concerned because there's knives involved. But overall, I think it is fine for 7 year olds, particularly if they are used to fight scenes. I don't really understand why this is rated for 11 year olds but Tinkerbell and the Neverbeast is for 5 year olds (that one worried her far more than this one did).