All member reviews for The Emperor's New Groove

More fun, goofy cartoon antics than Disney polish.

Adult Written bybconrad April 9, 2008

too scary for sensitive kids

My 7 year old boy, who admittedly has a low tolerance for evil and scary characters, found the evil female advisor too scary and wanted to turn this off. A plot about murder may be appropriate for most 7 years olds, but he really didn't enjoy the movie because he was too worried every time the woman character was in a scene. He didn't see the humor of her character at all. He also didn't like the emperor, who is callous and evil at the beginning of the movie, and the flippant tone of his cruelty was confusing to him.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written bykperk October 6, 2011

Didn't hold my kids' interest, somewhat violent

Just viewed with my 7- and 3-yr old girls. My seven year-old is quite sensitive to any anxiety-provoking scenes or music in movies, regardless of how mild it is. The evil female advisor to the emperor who is out to kill him made my older daughter uncomfortable, and during the chase scenes in which a group of vicious jaguars (all black with yellow eyes) hunted down the emperor (in his llama form) she had to run out of the room. The tension continued as the characters escaped from the jaguars, only to fall down a waterfall. I coaxed my 2nd grader back into the room, but eventually both children lost interest in the movie. None of us could quite connect with the characters, I just wasn't feeling any stake in their plight. I was feeling pretty lame as a parent when I allowed my preschooler to continue to watch it despite the violence and violent references, such as "I'm going to kill you." The intended message that individuals have good in them, can change for the better, all people should be treated with respect - just didn't hit home with my kids because the plot was a bit slow and they didn't care about the characters. A few scenes that bothered me: When the peasant had to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on the emperor (in llama form) and when the emperor awoke they were each disgusted with the intimate contact, spitting, gargling, etc. The peasant kept explaining to the emperor that it wasn't a kiss. I suppose the emperor was grossed out having contact with a peasant and the peasant equally concerned about touching his mouth to an animal's, but honestly it just smacked of the typical homophobia that passes for humor is many movies and sitcoms. And later, as they triumphed they hugged, and then quickly backed away acting uncomfortable with the male/male affection. Definitely homophobia as humor. As another reviewer pointed out, it was also disturbing when the evil female advisor reached for a dagger strapped to her thigh and the male characters were repulsed by the sight of her old, ugly body, but were relieved when they realized it was a weapon she was going for, rather then trying to seduce them.
Adult Written byrgrossjr April 9, 2008

One of the funniest Disney films in some time!

This has got to be one of Disney's straight out funniest films in a while. The plot is simple, the gags are great, and it exists for no other reason than to make you laugh. The routines involving Eartha Kitt (Yzma the evil sorceress) and Patrick Warburton (Kronk, her vapid henchman) are worth the price of admission alone. There is pleanty here for adults and children to enjoy, and nothing scarry. My 3 and 5 year olds laugh out loud at this film, as did I when I first saw it. Much of the simple fun that some recent Disney films have lacked.
Kid, 9 years old July 31, 2014

BEST MOVIE EVER!

Ok, well, the emporor isn't a very good role model at first, but then he learns.
Educator and Parent Written byhybs January 16, 2013

Very funny, not high-brow entertainment. Spoiler: the mother lives!

Very funny movie. Yes, some snarky sarcastic dialogue. And there is a villain and peril, but it is mild. One very refreshing change, the nuclear family survives intact! They are in the background not the main plotline, but still it was nice to see a happy family, competent and loving mother and father, who all manage to make it through the entire movie. Hooray!
Teen, 16 years old Written byDominicboo1 January 27, 2012

Groovy Animated Film!

Disney's The Emperor's New Groove is a completly unique kind of film. It's funny, charming, but seems to be more of a Warner Bros. movie than Disney. That being said it's great fun, and its uniquness can be accepted. Some mild cartoon violence, and a murder plot might upset young children.

If you want a laugh,WATCH THIS MOVIE!!!

When the emperor turned into a llamba I laughed my head off!!!This movie should be on the cridic BEST list!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bygregguy July 16, 2016

Good Kids Movie Short Enough to Last Kids Attention Spans

At only 78 minutes long this is a good movie to watch with small kids. The humor not only appeals to kids but there are some jokes for teens and adults also. This may be too scary for some kids, there are some suspenseful moments including two people hanging from bridges about to fall to their deaths and jungle cats chasing a character. But there is no violence and no blood which makes this great family viewing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byslevin21 June 13, 2016

What a Great Film!

This movie is smart, fun, and oh, so hilarious! I watched this when I was twelve and could not stop laughing. The story in itself is great for little ones but I think there is a level of maturity there, too. This is a story about how selfishness can become selflessness and how a person can change. A rich and selfish emperor plans to build a vacation home where a bunch of poor peasants live, and gets turned into a llama by his trusted advisor, who wants to become empress. She had planned to poison him and kill him, but finds that her right hand man uses llama potion and not poison. Eventually the emperor becomes friends with a peasant who lives in the village he plans to destroy, and eventually comes to realise that the world does not revolve around him and that friends are more important. Great positive message at the end, though the role model is not the best at the beginning, being rich and selfish. But this is great for teaching kids that one should be gracious for what they have and the selfishness will not get you what you need most, friends and love. There is some scenes that can be disturbing for younger kids, such as a scene where the emperor is being chased by a bunch of scary cougars at night and where an adviser is supposed to kill the emperor, but these are quickly followed by laugh out loud humor! Overall, great movie!
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Kid, 12 years old June 10, 2015

really funny

this is a funny movie super good must see I have seen it at least 20 times so good!!!
Kid, 7 years old May 28, 2015

Jazzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that this movie was a very good movie and I think that it was better than the sequel !
Kid, 11 years old January 6, 2015

Radical! Awesome! Bravo! Hilarious!

Best. Disney. Movie. EVER. MADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it I love I love it! Really funny and quotable. Great for every age!
Teen, 15 years old Written by9spaceking July 17, 2014

The Monty Python of Animation

The Emperor's New Groove is simply one of Disney's post-renaissance best. It's humorous, hilarious, and no one cares about the plot holes neither the fact that the villain did not really end a drastic punishment. However, the only emotional moment is the Emperor being sad, as well as his slow transformation, other-wise the movie lacks POWER and can't hit you in the face like some of Disney's classics. However, that being said, the Emperor's New Groove is a hilarious movie that deserves to be watched by parents and their children.
Kid, 12 years old June 18, 2014

The funniest Disney film I HAVE EVER SEEN!

The Emperor's New Groove is a fantastic movie for so many reasons. Reason 1: The humor of this movie is so funny! I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe at one point. Reason 2: The plotline is surprisingly good, it may seem bad considering all it is is "Greedy emperor gets turned into an animal" , but they somehow make it work. Reason 3: The messages in this film are actaully really great. It teaches kids that being greedy is not a good thing and tht there is some good in everyone. Reason 4: NO ANNOYING MUSICAL NUMBERS! Some Disney musicals have really bad songs that just are bad, unentertaining, and just plain annoying. Emperors New Groove doesn't have that at all. It does have one song at the begining but the song is entertaining and funny. Reason 5: The movie is appropriate for all ages. It has a few scary scenes but other than that it is fine for kids. Reason 6: This isn't one of those Disney movies made for little kids. It is targeted for ages 6 - 8 but anyone of all ages would like it, even teenagers. In conclusion... WATCH IT RIGHT NOW OR ELSE!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymaddie-and-chocolate June 2, 2014

Basically it's the best Disney movie ever.

I'm 14 years old and going to be a freshman next year. 3 of my friends and I are the Emperor's New Groove Cult and we get together to watch this movie all the time and all of us can quote every single line. You're probably judging me at this point but this movie is pretty fabulous and if you've seen it you should agree. I think it's fine for kids of any age, but it's understandable if really little kids are scared by the jaguars near the beginning. Or by Yzma. She's actually pretty terrifying. This is a great family movie and it never gets old. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the "classic" Disney movies (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty). They're pretty boring and the main characters are incredibly one dimensional. In this movie, each character has a unique personality, their interactions are interesting, and it's just fun to watch. Overall, it's a fun and funny movie for kids of all ages.
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd July 19, 2013

a very underated movie from walt disney animation studios

Some of the animals and yzma's plans to kill kuzco plus her looks/face might scare younger kids but other than that I don't see anything else to be concerned about
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag December 4, 2012

Disney cartoon is refreshingly unusual, and age appropriate.

"The Emperor's New Groove" is a Disney cartoon released in 2000. While their older cartoon have all been really good adaptions of well-known stories (mostly fairytales), their more recent movies - talking about the 1990s until now - are always a 50 percent chance of being good or bad. There have been excellent masterpieces (e.g. "The Lion King") or rather weak movies (e.g. "Home on the Ranch"). "The Emperor's New Groove" is rather on the positive side. Instead of heading into an epic adventure, "The Emperor's New Groove" is a pure comedy movie. It is really, really funny and extremely entertaining. The humour is outrageous and refreshing, nothing you'd expect from a Disney movie. At some parts, it takes a satirical look at movie stereotypes - like waterfalls, chandeliers or the irony of fate. It is one of the few Disney movies, whose characters are ALL excellent and memorable. No matter if it is the odd couple Kuzco/Pacha, the awfully repulsive villain Yzma or even minor characters like Pacha's children. But still, the most funny character is Yzma's helper Kronk, an awfully naive, but charming muscle-man, who delivers the funniest and best lines in the entire movie. If you take it as a comedy, this is an ABSOLUTE recommendment. It is very very funny, and really entertaining. Taking it as a Disney movie, it is not the best one, for it does not have the same brillance of e.g. "The Lion King" or "Pocahontas". Still, there are worse movies from Disney, and this one is rather positive. This movie was a hard competition between 3 or 4 stars, but comparing it to all movies in the entire movie history, it is "just fine". -------------------------------------------------------- There is absolutely nothing to worry about. Every peril, and there is not much, is immediately taken by the many, many jokes. The G-Rating is accurate. Kuzco is a selfish spoiled man at the beginning, but he learns throughout the movie, therefore positive messages.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRosebud95 May 4, 2012

Lol

I haven't watched this in a while, but watching some of the clips on YouTube (and the trailer) I remember how funny it was. :)