All member reviews for The Exorcist

Teen, 13 years old Written bydklink April 9, 2008

good for about 12+

great movie. lots of disturbing images. (lots of vomit) tons of swear words for the era it was made.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2011

Never. Ever. Watch.

My mum had watched it and said she dare not go to bed after she did.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMaarie3 January 28, 2013

Not for young kids. No Twists, no suspense

I did not care for the movie. I like twisted, suspensful movies. This one was just plain predictable. The actors are good. Very strong language. Can terrify people under the age of 18. No real sex scenes, just a scene where the possesed girl rubs a cross against her genital area. This is only brief. Not for teens under 18. I am used to movies like this and am not easily scared. If you are mature it's okay. The movie can leave emotinal scars on some people. Be careful
Teen, 15 years old Written byACDude800 October 31, 2009

Excellent horror film, but...

This is a very good, sometimes terrifying film with a lot of disturbing imagery. I do recommend it personally, but I do find it odd that Common Sense Media would list a movie that features a possessed girl masturbating with a crucifix as an alternative to films that they claim will cause a teen's mind to connect sex and violence.
Kid, 11 years old August 16, 2009

Awesome movie

I was kinda scared at some parts but all in all it was a cool movie.i saw it on tv so it probably wasn't as bad as the real movie but little kids shold not see this cuz it might give them nightmares

very scary

The first time I saw this movie, I got extremely scared. For it's time, this movie is very scary, and still is now. It is also very good, and I recommend it for anyone over the age of 17.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheTrillionaire February 14, 2013

OK for kids 15+

Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 September 15, 2012

gruesome possession tale is a true vulgar, explicit, and bloody shocker

one of the greatest films i have ever seen, this ultra-creepy scarefest is loaded with everything a horror fan loves: creepy music, strange voices, plenty of gore, and lots of epic special effects. but that all means that this is a film that only very mature teens should see. it is shocking and frightening. there are lots of scary scenes of a possessed girl thrashing around, destroying things, and screaming. blood is very frequent, especially on the girls face and body, and after a man falls down a flight of stiars. the girl slaps people, vomits green goo, wlaks down the stairs in a spider-like walk, and even make her head spin 360 degerees in one of film historys most shocking scenes. there is plenty of vulgar, crude, strong language, mostly said by Regan herself. she spouts out many streams of sexually crude language, from the iconic "put that co** up her a*s, you motherf***ing co**sucker!" to the scene of self mutilation with a cross while saying "f"*** you, Jesus!" people also smoke a lot
Kid, 10 years old February 5, 2011

SCARIEST MOVIE EVER

THE SCARIEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN!!!! If you've never seen it, DON'T if you're under the age 15! My friend saw it really young and she thinks it isn't scary, but I think she's just saying that. I think I was SUPER scared because I'm really Roman-Catholic. Granted it was pretty good but super scary!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDragynwulf September 19, 2010

By today's standards, this is not a scary movie.

The effects are very unrealistic. It's not TERRIBLE, but not really scary either.
Teen, 16 years old Written byshadow_slayer15 September 20, 2009

Eh, funny to me

This movie is fairly cheesy for today's standards. It reminded me of a Sci-fi channel movie I saw. I laughed throughout most of it, the girl just made me laugh while she tried to be possessed. I guess demons don't freak me out, the pea soup thing cracked me up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHaitham Bayazeed April 29, 2013

HB Review: The Exorcist

One of the most scariest horror movies ever, not for the faint of heart, and not for the weak stomach.
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2013

Not so scary

I am 10 and for alot of people this movie is the freakiest thing ever but with me it is different i have watched this movie twice and has not scared me a single bit this movie in australia is rated MA15 or R while i watch alot of horrors and only the amityville horror has scared me by far this movie may have some scary scenes but if you think you can handle it this movie is epic and can get a bit boring 2nd time watching it my mum's brother me and my cousin were watching and mum's brother fell asleep lol
Teen, 14 years old Written byZoemily January 6, 2013

Amazing classic

This shocking horror classic was something I wanted to watch for a while, but I was too scared. When I eventually watched it with my friend, we thought it was disturbing, but a really good movie. Only watch it if you're prepared for the language...it really isn't nice, the sexual content, and violence. I wasn't scared by this movie because I watch horror movies all the time, but I must admit it was disturbing. Everyone who watches horror movies has to see this.
Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2012

Depends on the child but I would say 15 and over (no less than 12 if the child can handle it)

i would say about 14/15 cuz i saw it last night by myself at 10pm and even though cuz im 12 i thought it would be really scary cuz im not really into horrors (usually comedy lol) on itv4 but i found it only a little scary (was only scared for 10 minutes after film lololol). i would say this cuz in one part she masturbates with a crucifix while the devil inside her is saying: 'LET JESUS F*** YOU! LET HIM F*** YOU!' and there is also alot of violence and swearing, and some quite disturbing scenes. the worst part is probably when she goes down the stairs like a spider lol (i found it pretty funny but i decided to watch it again after the film was finished and i found out how it was actually scary lol and scared me a little).
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag March 25, 2012

Classic possession story is not too scary for most younger viewers, but still great.

"The Exorcist" is a classic and a must-see for its influence on the whole genre. The athmosphere is great, several scenes are as superb as they are infamous. Linda Blair really is a superb actress, especially if you see how old she was when this movie was released. The make-up also is amazing. The theme by Mike Oldfields also is very good. I know that som younger viewers found this movie funny rather than scary. However, this does not mean that this movie is unintentionally funny. It just means that times changed and other things are scary nowadays. Fans of thrills of older classics will enjoy this. (SPOILERS may follow:) The movie is about a possessed girl. She spins her head around, gets thrown up and down in her bed, levitates, etc. Most of the scary scenes are referenced to in several other movies and series, so even kids will be familiar with them. -In the director's cut the girl twitches back and walks downstairs like a spider, then she spits out blood and makes a strange noise. -A death (murder?) is a theme, but nothing is shown, not even the corpse. Graphic violence references. -The girl gets totally scarred. -An exorcist is found dead. -A girl uses a crucifix to mutilate her private parts (no nudity, blood on the crucifix and the clothes) and yells: "Let Jesus F*** you" repeatenly. She then rams her mother's head against it, who gets completely bloody. -A death near the end is emotional, but not graphic. -The girl uses strong language, mostly f- and c-words. -The girl uses rude geistures, urinates in front of people, insults god (for christians), asks people to have sex with her the crudest wayd and vomits. However, this movie should be rated 15 in the UK and Ireland, not 18. I think nowaday's the movie is okay for viewers 14 and up, because most of them have seen things way more scary, violent and sexual. And language is present in real life, too.
Teen, 13 years old Written by80sfreak October 2, 2009

SCARY AS HELL

This movie is the scariest movie i have ever seen and i watch horror movies all the time oooo i cant even think about it!
Kid, 11 years old August 18, 2009

Puking Blood Isn't the only thing that makes this movie terrifying.

This movie is the best horror movie ever made, and it will stay that way. There is not much bad scenes, other that the scares being too intense for even adults today. However, there are a couple bad scenes in which the devil possessed Regan says some sexual based this, one of them with her rubbing a crucifix arond her groin. Other than that, just extremely intense scares for everyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysara4ever95 February 17, 2009

Teen, 13 years old Written byplaah April 9, 2008

This movie was ok, but if you cant take swearing scary images or take your religion seriously stay away. That's the reason its rated R for petes sake. And It wasnt even scary. Might have been scary in '73, not so much now compared to other movies. I've seen adults get scared of this I thought it was funny.