All member reviews for The Exorcist

Trendsetting shocker about a possessed child.

Parent of a 4 and 4 year old Written byLaptopTech45 April 18, 2014

Harmonie loves it!

Harmonie and Lauren were playing with their Barbie, Moxie Girlz, Bratz and American Girl dolls. But Harmonie went downstairs to get herself some strawberry milk. After when she got her strawberry milk, she laughed and said "That's the funniest rated R movie ever!" I didn't even heard Lauren coming downstairs.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlake_Slaughter March 26, 2014

By far the best and most terrifying horror movie ever made

This is the movie that changed the horror genre forever. The most terrifying movie of all time. If any horror movie has ever scared you at all, then DON'T watch this. Even if a movie has never scared you before, you have no idea what you're in for (unless you watch clips of the movie on YouTube like I did.) Your 13 (or possibly 12 year old, I was 12 when I watched it) must be extremely brave, and so must whoever is watching it with them. Trust me, think about it. Because once you see this movie, you can NEVER unsee it...
Teen, 16 years old Written byMorgan Stanell November 17, 2013

Very Disturbing-viewer desecration is advised.

I've never seen this movie, but I've seen enough clips and read the book to understand what this is about. The book was almost too scary that I had to put it down, the language... oh, the terrible language was very, very bad. With numerous uses of f--k and any other curse word out there. This movie should NOT be seen by kids/teens under 16 years of age. The sex and profanity is just bad. There is no nudity, but there is a few scenes where Regan herself diplays sex. I loved the book, and would probably love the movie, but as I've heard it IS the scariest movie of all time.
Teen, 13 years old Written byStephen the reviewer October 14, 2013

Caution!

This is a great movie; however you must realize the incredible amount of profanity and scenes that can leave you thinking of this movie for weeks. I watched this when I was thirteen and I didn't even know some of the words spoken out of the girl's mouth. This is an incredibly realistic movie of the horrors of demonic possession. Parents, be cautioned of letting your children see this movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written byavatar2121 September 13, 2013

Its an o.k movie

The movie is over hyped I just watched for the first time not one thing scared me and the only thing it was, was boring! I do suggest to check it out it is a interesting idea. The language and violence is very strong but probably o/k for any 13 year old
Kid, 12 years old August 8, 2013

Really freaky movie

This is a movie that will give people who easily get scared nightmares for six years (my friend easily gets scared and he said when he saw it he had nightmares for a long time. I love this movie, my favorite horror film by far.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhomealonefan123 July 7, 2013

A masterpeice, but can be disturbing to some.

Parents need to know that this 70's horror classic is packed with the stuff that gives little kids nightmares. The violence isn't overly strong, but it is graphic. There is gory sequences. The violence includes a possessed 12 year old girl beating her mother and other people, a man commits suicide, a man is brutally murdered offscreen and a sequence where the girl comes down the stairs with blood pouring out of her mouth. There is some sexually suggestive content and references throughout the movie. There is one scene where a girl masturbates violently with a crucifix, there is references to oral sex and more. The swearing is very strong, but most of it is used by the possessed child and some of the swearing is used in a sexually graphic matter. To be aware of the graphic content, you might want to keep this movie away from kids 12 and under.
Kid, 10 years old June 3, 2013

TERRIFYING

a terrifying masterpiece, which is not for young kids, I saw this last night I put it on at around 10 45 and finished at around 12 45, I was scared out of my mind, the language was very strong, there was a few bloody scenes. and even though this came out 40 years ago, it still remains a terrifying shocker, which has brilliant special effects and fantastic make up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHaitham Bayazeed April 29, 2013

HB Review: The Exorcist

One of the most scariest horror movies ever, not for the faint of heart, and not for the weak stomach.
Parent Written bymomto3amazingggirls April 16, 2013

Alright yet not for little kids

I decided to watch this movie while my daughters Emma, 9, Hilary Grace, 4, and Rosie Grace, 2 were playing with their American Girl Dolls. I know they wouldn't come walking in while they were concentrating on American Girl Dolls so I had no need to worry. Emma came walking in to get herself a glass of Ovaltine chocolate milk and the movie caught her attention. Before I could say anything her eyes bored in on the movie. I didn't realize she was watching it until the projectile hurling scene came on and Emma burst into hysterical laughter. I didn't realize that until then. I continued watching the movie and at the end she says "That was one of the most funniest movies I've ever seen". I looked around to make sure Hilary Grace and Rosie Grace hadn't seen the movie at all and luckily they didn't. I was in awe. Emma wasn't scared. Brave little girl. Courageous enough to watch a R rated horror movie like The Exorcist. Though Emma is 9 and throughly enjoyed the movie without any gasp or shriek other kids may not enjoy so I'd rate it 14+.
Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2013

Not so scary

I am 10 and for alot of people this movie is the freakiest thing ever but with me it is different i have watched this movie twice and has not scared me a single bit this movie in australia is rated MA15 or R while i watch alot of horrors and only the amityville horror has scared me by far this movie may have some scary scenes but if you think you can handle it this movie is epic and can get a bit boring 2nd time watching it my mum's brother me and my cousin were watching and mum's brother fell asleep lol
Teen, 13 years old Written byMaarie3 January 28, 2013

Not for young kids. No Twists, no suspense

I did not care for the movie. I like twisted, suspensful movies. This one was just plain predictable. The actors are good. Very strong language. Can terrify people under the age of 18. No real sex scenes, just a scene where the possesed girl rubs a cross against her genital area. This is only brief. Not for teens under 18. I am used to movies like this and am not easily scared. If you are mature it's okay. The movie can leave emotinal scars on some people. Be careful
Teen, 14 years old Written byZoemily January 6, 2013

Amazing classic

This shocking horror classic was something I wanted to watch for a while, but I was too scared. When I eventually watched it with my friend, we thought it was disturbing, but a really good movie. Only watch it if you're prepared for the language...it really isn't nice, the sexual content, and violence. I wasn't scared by this movie because I watch horror movies all the time, but I must admit it was disturbing. Everyone who watches horror movies has to see this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheGrizzlyMig December 23, 2012

A Classic

If you're an adult and you're reading this, you probably know what The Exorcist is, if you don't, I'll tell you, it's not for scaredy-cats! The first time I saw this movie, I was around 8 years old, I saw it with my grandfather who enjoys classic movies like The Shining, The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, etc. The result was: Until this day, The Exorcist is still the most frightening film I've ever seen. This review will be about the story, acting and other things, because I'm a far more superior intelectual being than your probably stupid son/daughter who defines horror as "jump-scares" and doesn't care about the rest. Alright, so The Exorcist is actually a book written by William Peter Blatty and was adapted to film by William Friedkin. It's about Regan McaNeil (Linda Blair), daughter of Hollywood actress, Chris MacNeil (Ellen Burstyn). One day, Regan is in the house's basement and discovers a Ouija Board, -- who your son/daughter will probably call it "Game to Contact the Spirits" (Ignorants...) -- but she thinks it's just an ordinary board-game. Regan starts "playing" with it and discovers a mysterious entity named Captain Howdy. After Regan makes contact with the entity, strange things start to happen in the MacNeils' home and Regan starts having convulsions when in bed and she claims her bed shakes at night. Worried, Chris seeks medical attention by going to a psychiatric hospital to do some tests. While in the hospital, Regan is layig down on the examination bed and suddenly she opens her eyes a little bit. The shot then cuts to a dark image, revealing Captain Howdy's true face, an ancient, pale demon named Pazuzu that your kids will have nightmares from. After conducting a series of exams, Regan is back home and one day her mom goes to her bedroom and is shocked by seeing Regan stabbing her "female parts" with a crucifix, while saying in an un-human voice "Let Jesus f*** you" over and over again. This short segment of the film is just to give you a general ideia on what your child is sooner or later being exposed to. As far as plot and story telling, Friedkin nailed it and you will be glued to the screen to see what happens next. Modern horror movies count on "boo" scares, (like your kids say), or the actual name "jump-scares" like normal people do, but The Exorcist is not. It's a non-stop ride of horror that is delivered through clever and effective scenes of pure suspense, building up the tension to then scare you like hell! Acting: This movie has great acting from everybody and the actual exorcist is performed by legendary Max Von Sydow, who your kids probably never heard of. Linda Blair and Ellen Burstyn also deliver a strong acting as Regan and Chris MacNeil. Verdict: The Exorcist is still one of the most -- if not -- scariest horror movies ever made. It delivers fear through suspense and horror. It's obviously off limits for children as it includes swearing, "scary" images and demonic possession. So, if you have kids, watch the movie without them, unless you want them to sleep with you again for 5 years but, if your kid enjoys decent horror movies like "The Shining", "Sinister", "The Omen", etc., I'm pretty sure this will make a great present. I bought this movie 3 times and they all disappear for some reason, which is a shame, because I really like the movie. Remember, parents, if one of your kids states that, for example, "Saw", "Paranormal Activity", "Insidious", etc. is the best horror movie, go to IMDb and show them the score of their movie with The Exorcist (8.1/10). Oh, and if your kid likes the modern, average crap of horror that's been being released, show them "The Exorcist" or "The Shining", which are the highest rated horror movies ever made (The Shining: 8.5/10) Apart from Scott Derrickson's "Sinister", the 21st Century is pretty much rotten when it comes to pure horror movies.
Teen, 17 years old Written by012345678900000 December 23, 2012

Cool

cool
Teen, 13 years old Written by5saltydog October 28, 2012

Classic Horror

Classic horror story, not exactly a jump scare movie, more disturbing than anything else. A lot of bad language, she has no problem letting anything fly. References to sex.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 September 15, 2012

gruesome possession tale is a true vulgar, explicit, and bloody shocker

one of the greatest films i have ever seen, this ultra-creepy scarefest is loaded with everything a horror fan loves: creepy music, strange voices, plenty of gore, and lots of epic special effects. but that all means that this is a film that only very mature teens should see. it is shocking and frightening. there are lots of scary scenes of a possessed girl thrashing around, destroying things, and screaming. blood is very frequent, especially on the girls face and body, and after a man falls down a flight of stiars. the girl slaps people, vomits green goo, wlaks down the stairs in a spider-like walk, and even make her head spin 360 degerees in one of film historys most shocking scenes. there is plenty of vulgar, crude, strong language, mostly said by Regan herself. she spouts out many streams of sexually crude language, from the iconic "put that co** up her a*s, you motherf***ing co**sucker!" to the scene of self mutilation with a cross while saying "f"*** you, Jesus!" people also smoke a lot
Kid, 12 years old September 7, 2012

...

Looks like I'm scarred for life. .-. All in all, it was a pretty decent movie. I jumped a couple of times.
Parent Written byagenthappyman July 20, 2012

Not a slasher film but still disturbing

The little girl yells swear words (c--t, f--k, s--t) at people; disturbing content and images.
Adult Written bythebeatlesrule July 16, 2012

EXTREMELY TERRIFYING

The movie is very dark and scary, along with some of the worst words; most come out of the mouth of a 12-year old girl. Not for kids.