All member reviews for The Exorcist

Trendsetting shocker about a possessed child.

Age

Teen, 13 years old Written by5saltydog October 28, 2012

Classic Horror

Classic horror story, not exactly a jump scare movie, more disturbing than anything else. A lot of bad language, she has no problem letting anything fly. References to sex.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 September 15, 2012

gruesome possession tale is a true vulgar, explicit, and bloody shocker

one of the greatest films i have ever seen, this ultra-creepy scarefest is loaded with everything a horror fan loves: creepy music, strange voices, plenty of gore, and lots of epic special effects. but that all means that this is a film that only very mature teens should see. it is shocking and frightening. there are lots of scary scenes of a possessed girl thrashing around, destroying things, and screaming. blood is very frequent, especially on the girls face and body, and after a man falls down a flight of stiars. the girl slaps people, vomits green goo, wlaks down the stairs in a spider-like walk, and even make her head spin 360 degerees in one of film historys most shocking scenes. there is plenty of vulgar, crude, strong language, mostly said by Regan herself. she spouts out many streams of sexually crude language, from the iconic "put that co** up her a*s, you motherf***ing co**sucker!" to the scene of self mutilation with a cross while saying "f"*** you, Jesus!" people also smoke a lot
Kid, 12 years old September 7, 2012

...

Looks like I'm scarred for life. .-. All in all, it was a pretty decent movie. I jumped a couple of times.
Parent Written byagenthappyman July 20, 2012

Not a slasher film but still disturbing

The little girl yells swear words (c--t, f--k, s--t) at people; disturbing content and images.
Adult Written bythebeatlesrule July 16, 2012

EXTREMELY TERRIFYING

The movie is very dark and scary, along with some of the worst words; most come out of the mouth of a 12-year old girl. Not for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySugarFr33 June 9, 2012

Mild

I watched this movie in the dark, at night, with the blinds closed, and I went to sleep like a baby! Other than the extensive use of F--k and S--t, this movie is actually great for preeteens and teens.
Adult Written byhomey335 May 28, 2012

Scariest movie i've ever seen.

Violence: 5/10- Very scary, but not super violent. There are some bloody scenes, though. Charaters are punched. Sexual Content: 5/10- Strong sexual content and disscussion. Language: 10/10- Very strong language. C**t is used 3 times. F**k is used several times, along with 2 uses of sh*t. A little girl calls her mom a b*tch and a wh*re. Jesus is insulted. Drinking and drug use: 4/10- Drug references and alcohal consumption. Frightining scenes: 10/10- This is literally the scariest movie i've ever seen.
Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2012

Depends on the child but I would say 15 and over (no less than 12 if the child can handle it)

i would say about 14/15 cuz i saw it last night by myself at 10pm and even though cuz im 12 i thought it would be really scary cuz im not really into horrors (usually comedy lol) on itv4 but i found it only a little scary (was only scared for 10 minutes after film lololol). i would say this cuz in one part she masturbates with a crucifix while the devil inside her is saying: 'LET JESUS F*** YOU! LET HIM F*** YOU!' and there is also alot of violence and swearing, and some quite disturbing scenes. the worst part is probably when she goes down the stairs like a spider lol (i found it pretty funny but i decided to watch it again after the film was finished and i found out how it was actually scary lol and scared me a little).
Teen, 16 years old Written byUSCTrojan May 11, 2012

what parents should know

This is not appropriate for your kids under the age of 14. This is suitable for kids over 14 years of age.
Parent Written byreganrawrshaha(: April 26, 2012

My name is Regan lol

My dad Named me after this movie lol my name is Regan /:
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag March 25, 2012

Classic possession story is not too scary for most younger viewers, but still great.

"The Exorcist" is a classic and a must-see for its influence on the whole genre. The athmosphere is great, several scenes are as superb as they are infamous. Linda Blair really is a superb actress, especially if you see how old she was when this movie was released. The make-up also is amazing. The theme by Mike Oldfields also is very good. I know that som younger viewers found this movie funny rather than scary. However, this does not mean that this movie is unintentionally funny. It just means that times changed and other things are scary nowadays. Fans of thrills of older classics will enjoy this. (SPOILERS may follow:) The movie is about a possessed girl. She spins her head around, gets thrown up and down in her bed, levitates, etc. Most of the scary scenes are referenced to in several other movies and series, so even kids will be familiar with them. -In the director's cut the girl twitches back and walks downstairs like a spider, then she spits out blood and makes a strange noise. -A death (murder?) is a theme, but nothing is shown, not even the corpse. Graphic violence references. -The girl gets totally scarred. -An exorcist is found dead. -A girl uses a crucifix to mutilate her private parts (no nudity, blood on the crucifix and the clothes) and yells: "Let Jesus F*** you" repeatenly. She then rams her mother's head against it, who gets completely bloody. -A death near the end is emotional, but not graphic. -The girl uses strong language, mostly f- and c-words. -The girl uses rude geistures, urinates in front of people, insults god (for christians), asks people to have sex with her the crudest wayd and vomits. However, this movie should be rated 15 in the UK and Ireland, not 18. I think nowaday's the movie is okay for viewers 14 and up, because most of them have seen things way more scary, violent and sexual. And language is present in real life, too.
Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2012

Good for teens and some tweens

This is a great movie! It is pretty scary, I mean, just look at her face! It is pretty violent, but I think most kids should be able to handle it. It has some cussing, pretty strong, but it's not like kids my age haven't already heard it. The special effects aren't that special, actually they are quite cheesy, but they are pretty good for something made that long ago.
Kid, 11 years old December 21, 2011

Best horror film ever

the best horror film ever created. Watch out, though, because the language is strong, and she talks about sex. Also quite disgusting, but has a good message. if you are catholic, you will understand all of the content.
Parent Written by@@@ December 16, 2011

NOT a classic.

It was so scareless I could not bear it. It was just horrible, and no better than modern films like "Saw." I have seen worse, but not by a huge amount.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJapanlover November 18, 2011

The most evil movie ever!!!!!!!

This is one evil movie. It's so evil you'll puke!!!! It's a movie about the devil or Satan. It contains an I love Satan or the devil message. If you love God and worship him, just like me, Don't watch this movie. It will corrupt your mind. If you love Satan or the devil and pratice Satanism, Go ahead!!!!! Watch it!!!!! I highly skip this title for heaven's sake!!!!!!!! Bleh!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byelsbelspeace001 November 3, 2011

AMAZING!

I loved this horror film. Such a classic. However there are many iffys to it. First of all there is a masturbation scene (not graphic) however the mother is forced to "lick" her possessed child. Gross with vomiting and her scarred face. one scene has her spinning her head and also the famous spider walking scene with blood pouring out of her mouth. The voice is quite frightening and the fathers death is very graphic. Also one scene has the doctors looking into her brain and has very graphic medical uses as sticking a needle in her neck and blood squirting from the artery. Language goes to the last straw with the c word the f word and almost every other profanity word out there. Oh and last but not least the famous peeing on the carpet scene. I enjoyed it but yes this movie IS scary!
Kid, 9 years old October 15, 2011

funny and still a must see!

this is for all the kids out there like me, IT IS SO FUNNNNNNYYYY!!!!! i mean, compare special effects from today, and from 1973. let's compare 127 hours and the exorcist. 127 hours is very realistic, while the exorcist has really fake and boring special effects. yes, its cheezy, but its a must see. and parents should watch out for language and violence.
Teen, 14 years old Written byflickchick12345 September 14, 2011

Great movie, scary for youngsters.

Honestly, I love this movie. But younger kids might find this too scary. If your not religious, like me, then you most likely won't find this movie scary.
Parent Written by#1 mom August 23, 2011

Not for kids!!!!!

Great movie for adults but not for kids under 16. Language was gross. Made a mistake letting my daughter watch it with me. It was so embarrassing!
Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2011

OMG!

I think it is a great movie but your kids have to be mature and patient before they see it!