All member reviews for The Exorcist

Trendsetting shocker about a possessed child.

Teen, 16 years old Written byUSCTrojan May 11, 2012

what parents should know

This is not appropriate for your kids under the age of 14. This is suitable for kids over 14 years of age.
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag March 25, 2012

Classic possession story is not too scary for most younger viewers, but still great.

"The Exorcist" is a classic and a must-see for its influence on the whole genre. The athmosphere is great, several scenes are as superb as they are infamous. Linda Blair really is a superb actress, especially if you see how old she was when this movie was released. The make-up also is amazing. The theme by Mike Oldfields also is very good. I know that som younger viewers found this movie funny rather than scary. However, this does not mean that this movie is unintentionally funny. It just means that times changed and other things are scary nowadays. Fans of thrills of older classics will enjoy this. (SPOILERS may follow:) The movie is about a possessed girl. She spins her head around, gets thrown up and down in her bed, levitates, etc. Most of the scary scenes are referenced to in several other movies and series, so even kids will be familiar with them. -In the director's cut the girl twitches back and walks downstairs like a spider, then she spits out blood and makes a strange noise. -A death (murder?) is a theme, but nothing is shown, not even the corpse. Graphic violence references. -The girl gets totally scarred. -An exorcist is found dead. -A girl uses a crucifix to mutilate her private parts (no nudity, blood on the crucifix and the clothes) and yells: "Let Jesus F*** you" repeatenly. She then rams her mother's head against it, who gets completely bloody. -A death near the end is emotional, but not graphic. -The girl uses strong language, mostly f- and c-words. -The girl uses rude geistures, urinates in front of people, insults god (for christians), asks people to have sex with her the crudest wayd and vomits. However, this movie should be rated 15 in the UK and Ireland, not 18. I think nowaday's the movie is okay for viewers 14 and up, because most of them have seen things way more scary, violent and sexual. And language is present in real life, too.
Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2012

Good for teens and some tweens

This is a great movie! It is pretty scary, I mean, just look at her face! It is pretty violent, but I think most kids should be able to handle it. It has some cussing, pretty strong, but it's not like kids my age haven't already heard it. The special effects aren't that special, actually they are quite cheesy, but they are pretty good for something made that long ago.
Kid, 11 years old December 21, 2011

Best horror film ever

the best horror film ever created. Watch out, though, because the language is strong, and she talks about sex. Also quite disgusting, but has a good message. if you are catholic, you will understand all of the content.
Parent Written by@@@ December 16, 2011

NOT a classic.

It was so scareless I could not bear it. It was just horrible, and no better than modern films like "Saw." I have seen worse, but not by a huge amount.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJapanlover November 18, 2011

The most evil movie ever!!!!!!!

This is one evil movie. It's so evil you'll puke!!!! It's a movie about the devil or Satan. It contains an I love Satan or the devil message. If you love God and worship him, just like me, Don't watch this movie. It will corrupt your mind. If you love Satan or the devil and pratice Satanism, Go ahead!!!!! Watch it!!!!! I highly skip this title for heaven's sake!!!!!!!! Bleh!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byelsbelspeace001 November 3, 2011

AMAZING!

I loved this horror film. Such a classic. However there are many iffys to it. First of all there is a masturbation scene (not graphic) however the mother is forced to "lick" her possessed child. Gross with vomiting and her scarred face. one scene has her spinning her head and also the famous spider walking scene with blood pouring out of her mouth. The voice is quite frightening and the fathers death is very graphic. Also one scene has the doctors looking into her brain and has very graphic medical uses as sticking a needle in her neck and blood squirting from the artery. Language goes to the last straw with the c word the f word and almost every other profanity word out there. Oh and last but not least the famous peeing on the carpet scene. I enjoyed it but yes this movie IS scary!
Kid, 9 years old October 15, 2011

funny and still a must see!

this is for all the kids out there like me, IT IS SO FUNNNNNNYYYY!!!!! i mean, compare special effects from today, and from 1973. let's compare 127 hours and the exorcist. 127 hours is very realistic, while the exorcist has really fake and boring special effects. yes, its cheezy, but its a must see. and parents should watch out for language and violence.
Teen, 14 years old Written byflickchick12345 September 14, 2011

Great movie, scary for youngsters.

Honestly, I love this movie. But younger kids might find this too scary. If your not religious, like me, then you most likely won't find this movie scary.
Parent Written by#1 mom August 23, 2011

Not for kids!!!!!

Great movie for adults but not for kids under 16. Language was gross. Made a mistake letting my daughter watch it with me. It was so embarrassing!
Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2011

OMG!

I think it is a great movie but your kids have to be mature and patient before they see it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byJaysnake May 15, 2011

Terrifying

The possessed child's disturbing tranformation makes it one of the scariest movies of all time. The language is pretty bad and sexual content isn't out of control. Pretty scary movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byuglyfudge May 10, 2011

Depends on how mature the kid is

Great movie (my all time favorite), some people may not be comfortable with some part in it (ex: when she *bad word*ed herself with a cross), but it's a fantastic and terrifying movie, even though it was made in 1974. If your kids like scary movies (and don't mind nightmares for the next few weeks after watching this) and are mature enough to handle it, this would be a good movie to consider.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylucas201 April 18, 2011

not bad

this movie scared me when i was six but it makes me laugh now.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2011

Never. Ever. Watch.

My mum had watched it and said she dare not go to bed after she did.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySeminolefreak March 13, 2011

Good for young teens, but all depends on maturity and if you can stand the intense sequences

Classic!! I love this movie! It changed the way I see horror movies today. This movie definitely brings the thrills, it is my favorite movie. But some parts are very disturbing and questionable. Not for kids under age 11. That also depends on maturity, I'm 13 and I love this movie, but a 15 year old maybe can't stand the sight, it all depends on maturity.
Kid, 10 years old February 5, 2011

SCARIEST MOVIE EVER

THE SCARIEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN!!!! If you've never seen it, DON'T if you're under the age 15! My friend saw it really young and she thinks it isn't scary, but I think she's just saying that. I think I was SUPER scared because I'm really Roman-Catholic. Granted it was pretty good but super scary!
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

You're kidding, right?

WHAT?!? Thinking this movie is okay for 15 year olds (iffy is not strong enough) is ridiculous. This movie is just not okay. It's scary and not the kind of movie to encourage kids to watch. If an older teen, say 17 or up watches it, then let them deal with it on their own. I saw this when I was 7, and I had nightmares about it through high school. Do not let your young teens watch this movie.
Kid, 12 years old October 23, 2010

exorcist

Teen, 16 years old Written byBridget000 September 19, 2010

I'm no sure

Amazing but someone parts don't make sense.