All member reviews for The Exorcist

Trendsetting shocker about a possessed child.

Age

Parent Written bygrapelover46 September 13, 2012

This movie may be from 1973, but trust me, it is very, very frightining.

Parent of a 13 year old Written bycolten97 October 10, 2012

The Devil Made Her Do It

In late 1973 and early 1974, women and men were lined up for blocks. People were known to become ill watching it. Some fainted. Some ran out of the theater in tears. There were reports of people having to be institutionalized, and at least one miscarriage was attributed to viewing it. No, it wasn't a Rolling Stones Concert. It was a film called The Exorcist. The first time I had heard of something called The Exorcist was on late night television when the author, William Peter Blatty, was a guest on The Tonight Show. The conversation centered around how horrible some of the things in the book were. I had also seen the novel listed on The New York Times Bestseller List, and it seemed as if it would remain there forever. After having been on the waiting list for what seemed like an eternity at the local library, I was finally able to obtain a copy. It was the first book I had read in one sitting since probably Nancy Drew and The Hidden Staircase quite a few years earlier. And yes, for it's time it was filled with gut wrenching details of what happens when for some unexplained reason; an innocent girl is possessed by Satan. While reading the book I was sure that if it ever made its way to film, most of the details would certainly be either `cleaned up' or omitted altogether. As you know the film was made and it spared the movie going public absolutely nothing in the way of details. Certainly many of the people who lined up to see The Exorcist did so to watch some of the more gruesome scenes, the worst of which involved Regan's masturbation with a crucifix. Yet, the hysteria went well beyond the fact that such scenes were so vividly depicted. I think one needs to look no further than Mel Gibson's The Passion to find the answer as to why. I'm sure most of you have read the story of people leaving Mel's film in tears, some to the point of being hysterical. From most articles I have read, it seems that the majority of the audience that was moved were those people of strong religious beliefs. For many others, the depiction of the brutality in The Passion may have been uncomfortable to sit through, but weren't emotionally effected to any degree. Much of this same feeling can explain the hysteria surrounding The Exorcist. Those who had a definitive belief in Heaven and Hell, of Good and Evil, of Jesus as The Savior and Satan as the epitome of pure evil were affected by The Exorcist far more than those who were agnostic or just never had a strong belief in spiritual matters. There is no doubt though that much in the way The Passion did, The Exorcist caused many to reconsider how they felt about their faith. The Exorcist made the prospect of Satan being alive and well and a life of eternal damnation a very uncomfortable prospect. The fact that Blatty claims his book and screenplay were based on a true story seemed to give the film even more credibility. For me, The Exorcist has always been more about the never ending conflict between pure evil and pure innocence than about being an average horror story. There are many more levels to this film than what initially meets the eye. There is no doubt that while the main story revolves around an innocent young girl, Regan McNeil, being inhabited by Satan himself, Blatty enhances it greatly by adding different characters in various stages of conflict. Regan's mother, Chris McNeil obviously cares deeply for her daughter. Yet she is not beyond reproach. In one scene when Reagan's father hasn't called on Regan's birthday, we see her desperately on the phone doing battle with an overseas operator. The problem is not how vicious the phone call is, but that she does it within ear shot of her daughter as if to drive the point home to Regan how worthless her father is. When, she finally does seek the aid of Father Damian Karras, we don't feel that she believes in exorcism anymore than he does, but is desperate enough to accept the fact that it is possible and will take any and all measures to save her daughter. Father Karras is a priest torn by conflict. He is ridden by overwhelming guilt for having abandoned his mother to enter the priesthood. He is torn spiritually by the confessions of those priests who seek his help as a psychiatrist, so much so that he now questions his own faith. When he states to the Bishop that `Regan's case meets all the criteria,' we know that even more than Chris, he doesn't really believe in the power of Satan to inhabit a living being in the manner that it has taken over Regan. Yet, he will do what is required of him as a priest concerned about the health of a child. Jack McGowran gives a terrific performance as the alcoholic director filming Chris's latest film in Georgetown. Kitty Winn is Sharon Spencer, the secretary who works for Chris and always seems to be in the line of fire when Chris is angry. She is always there but for all the horror she witnesses, Winn appears too bland and emotionless and her performance is probably the weakest in the film. Max Von Sydow as Father Lancester Merrin is a no nonsense aging priest. He has done battle with evil before and he shows us its effect in every scene he occupies. One could pass it off to being just good make-up but it is so much more than that as Sydow demonstrates all the nuances that brings to life a man who has faced Satan and lived to tell about it. He knows what he is up against, understands he must do it again and the consequences of what that battle may be. If I have a small complaint with The Exorcist it is in regards to the character of Lt. Kinderman. I have never been able to buy into the character. It is not the fault of Cobb who is his usual stalwart self in the role. The whole character should at best have only been necessary for a few brief scenes yet; he has several that go on way too long and do not add anything to the story. Even in his scenes with Chris or Damian, Kinderman is so odd that he distracts us too much from their characters and it is Chris and Damian's reactions that are more important to us, not his investigation. For all you trivia buffs out there, Blatty once sued the producers of Columbo, stating they based Peter Falk's character on Kinderman. If memory serves me correctly Blatty lost that one. As for Director William Friedken, although he won the best director award for The French Connection, for me The Exorcist will always remain his defining film. The Final half hour of The Exorcist are still as dynamic today as they were 31 years ago, French Connection car chase be damned. It seems that to many of the younger movie audiences of today, The Exorcist has become more of a joke than anything else. That's not surprising considering how many times it has been lampooned, even by Linda Blair herself in Repossessed. Yet, if they were to view the film in a more serious vein, not as just another creature feature, they may just find that there really is more to this film than a little girl spewing pea soup and spinning her head around 360 degrees. It is the ultimate battle between Heaven and Hell and Good and Evil. It is the story of the complete and total degradation of innocence. It is a study in character, and whether a man torn by the forces surrounding him, can regain his faith and his belief in God and mankind to save the life of a little girl, caught up in forces beyond her control. Call it a horror film, call it a religious film, call it what you want. For me, The Exorcist is and will always remain a classic in every sense of the word. And if I regard you as a classic of any kind I have no choice but to leave you with my grade, which for The Exorcist is an A.
Teen, 14 years old Written byfuture_spielberg July 18, 2009

classic. just amazing.

Ok you know what? If you are mature, have your mind on right, aren't too bugged by hell or the devil you can see this movie. This movie is not for the woozy or light of heart. Oh, trust me, I watched this with two friends (we have a lot of horror movie parties, this was the first time for all of us watching The Exorcist) and we were scared out of our wits watching it. Violence is so-so, I had to look away when she was in the hospital. Yes, some might call it "disturbing" I was disturbed when she was swinging on her bed for the first time screaming "mother!! mother!". But you know what? I went to sleep like a baby after that movie. It was the last movie we watched and I went to sleep without one nightmare. She pukes, spits, there is some blood, she hits and kicks and punches people. Language is grotesque, but, I mean, she was posessed. Yes, they use the F word, like no 13 year olds have heard that in their lives! And now we get to the infamous masturbating-with-a-crucifix scene. Ok...seriously...regular people who aren't posessed masturbate. If you are really religious I guess it would make you think it was a horrible movie. I respect that. But if you are mature you will really just appreciate this fine work of genius. The Exorcist is amazing, I still can't believe it was made in the '70s...
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byjennlea1 October 7, 2010

inappropriate rating

this movie may not have butchering, murdering, scary jump out at you scenes but is the scariest movie i have ever scene. as an adult i still do not watch it. i can not believe this movie is rated allowable for teens. it should be no kids. because of this rating for this movie, i do not trust this website and will not use it again to monitor what my kids are exposed to.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheTrillionaire February 14, 2013

OK for kids 15+

Teen, 13 years old Written byiluvtheexorcist33 November 22, 2011

Best movie eva!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byKennyMcCormick October 3, 2011

The Exorcist!

Really creepy.
Kid, 11 years old August 2, 2010

e.g. Perfect for adults, but not anyone else

Parent of a 3, 3, and 5 year old Written byjonallypugliese1023 November 4, 2013

Love The Exorcist

I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Exorcist. It is possibly one of my favorite movies EVER. Once my kids get to 8 or 10 I will definitely let them watch it, I don't care what anyone says or if they have a problem with that. This movie is perfect and a classic.
Adult Written byhijjktr May 28, 2012

Not for anyone under 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This movie is way too scary for kids. It was so scary. Reagan was pure evil and was very bad. It wasn't very that much of a slasher, but its still the scariest movie I have ever seen. I heard f**k uses about 14 times, c**t used twice, several uses of s**t, a couple uses of b**ch, and somes uses of pr**k.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenHorrorReviewer October 20, 2011

The scariest movie of all time will scar you for life, and leave you haunted by the effects.

The Exorcist is the scariest movie of all time. The painstaking process of watching a young girl becoming slowly possessed is like watching a disease coming over a loved one. It is terrifying. The vulgar language and impressive effects was supposed to shock viewers back in 1973, and it is still shocking today. Such as the effects of projectile vomit, transforming into terrifying faces, the soundtrack, and extremely explicit and vulgar language. My grandparents still have their Exorcist barf bags. The combination of disturbing images, vulgar language, and terrifying effect of losing a loved one makes this the most terrifying movie of all time. My suggested MPAA rating, R: Extremely strong/graphic pervasive language, and strong disturbing images
Adult Written bypulsedemon July 23, 2010

silly children

"This is an evil Movie. It was so scary that when my moms 35 year old uncle (35 at the time of the 1970's) got scared DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE! youl regret it!" I just had to laugh at this. Isn't the point of a scary movie gee-I-dunno TO SCARE YOU!? If you don't want to be frightened, don't watch horror movies.
Adult Written bysouthparkfan15 April 9, 2008

A great (yet disturbing) movie!

This movie is NOT I repeat NOT a movie or kids. There is a scene with a masturbation with a crucifix and much more. Not for the weak stomached people.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTrollingTurtle123 December 29, 2014

The funniest movie I've ever seen

When I was around 10-11 years old I was terrified of Linda Blair's scarred up face. But finally, I got up the guts to watch it. To start with, it has a very slow build up before anything demonic happens, then she pee's on the floor and the bed starts shaking and then the real stuff begins! Yes, the hospital scene is very disturbing! I would recommend turning away at that point. Shortly afterwards though, she starts having spasms on the bed, her eyes go blank, she shouts "f*** me* and the doctors seduces her. Then there's more talky talk and after around 1 hour 30 a voice bellows 'DO IT B***H" and she masturbates with the cross screaming "LET JESUS F*** YOU" and "LICK ME" at which I was hysterically laughing which continued with the "C***ing Daughter" part. Afterwards, her mum gets a priest who gets vomited on and then sprays holy water over Regan and she screams repeatedly (more laughing from me)! Then after nearly 2 hours of waiting, the exorcism begins with profanity, head spinning before ending with a bang through the window! Overall, after nearly losing my voice from laughing, it is definitely the funniest film I've ever seen with my favorite line , "Stick your c**k in her a$$ you m***********g worthless c********r" said by Regan to Merrin
Teen, 13 years old Written byLakeTiticaca July 28, 2011

Epickest ever

Lettem watchit its soooo epick!
Adult Written bygamesetto August 26, 2009

it will scare the HELL out of you.

this movie will give u nightmaresssssssss. show it to ppl who can handle it. this movie can scar some ppl.
Teen, 13 years old Written byErc27 April 1, 2015

Review

This can be a scary movie for some kids, but I found it almost laughable. The effects were horrible but I understand for that time. My mom is so scared of that movie and I always quote it. You should watch with caution knowing how much your kid or you can handle. This was my first horror movie and I think it's a great one for all. It's a good classic. It had some inappropriate scenes as seen below.
Parent of a 7 and 13 year old Written bySpraio June 9, 2014

The Exorcist

The Exorcist is rated 18A, which could pull parents away from this movie immediately. Parents will most likely say no because they saw it when it was first released in 1973. Back then, this movie would have been terrifying. There is a tiny bit of violence in this movie, like a full grown man choking a 12 year old girl because he is possessed. He later kills himself by jumping out a window. He rolls down all the stairs, and by the time he's at the bottom, there is a puddle of blood under him. A girl possessed by the devil stabbed herself in the vagina with a cross while repeatedly yelling "LORD JESUS F**K YOU!" Until the mother pulled her alway. This is the only violence. The most mature aspect of this movie is the language. F**k, s**t, co*k, and c**t are said in this movie. As mature and inappropriate as this May seem, any mature 12 year old can handle this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylimabeanzrule May 22, 2014

No, no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no, NO!!!!!!!!

Everybody I know who has watched this movie, has had consecutive nightmares! I saw a picture of the antagonists face and I nearly had a nightmare! 15 maybe! Are you mad?! I've sat through Halloween, Creepshow, and Psycho and have not been scared. But for the love of GOD! Do not watch this movie unless you've got nerves of steel, or it will ruin your childhood.
Parent of a 2, 6, and 8 year old Written byComputerWhiz23 April 19, 2014

Alright, But not funny for little kids.

Gracie (2), Lauren (6) and Sarah (8) were playing with their American Girl Dolls while I watched this movie. Sarah went downstaires to get some strawberry milk. Sarah laughed and said "That's the funniest rated R movie ever!" Gracie and Lauren didn't came downstaires.