All member reviews for The Express

Inspirational true story tackles race, football.

Teen, 14 years old Written byjb223 January 20, 2013

Edgy for a PG Rating

Language is Strong for A PG Rating.
Adult Written byLowe's man November 17, 2014

A movie about football- and a whole lot more!

When Ernie Davis was a young boy living in Uniontown, Pennsylvania he faced lots of racism. (Even if Jim Crow laws weren't official outside of the Southeast, they were informally observed in certain other parts of the country.) Being forced to run from his white tormentors gave him the idea to play football. Things got better for him when he moved to Elmira, New York, in the western part of the state, at age 10. The great skills that Ernie Davis had led to a scholarship at Syracuse University, and ultimately to being the first black player to ever win a Heisman trophy. Unfortunately, he wasn't allowed at the banquet that was given in his honor because of his race, so most of his teammates wisely boycotted the banquet. (It would be interesting to find out why a few didn't.) After graduation he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns. Unfortunately his health prevented him from ever playing pro football. He died a year after being drafted. Ernie Davis even had it even harder than Jackie Robinson. If you think about it it makes sense. After all, Jackie Robinson never had to play in the Southeast since major league baseball at the time was only in the Midwest and the Northeast. Davis, however, did have to play in the Southeast. A great way to see where we were in race relations in various parts of the country at the time. I'd highly recommend this movie.
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bywrightmom December 5, 2008

Hard to watch the racial issues, but great story

I almost always agree with the Common Sense ages, but I did take my just turned 10 and almost 12 year old to see it. We have a connection to Ernie Davis due to where we live so it is a popular movie here. I spoke with the my kids before as I knew the racial issues were strong in the movie. It disturbed me to watch but gave good discussion before and after the movie. I would not take any younger child to the movie due to the racial topic and violence associated with it. Make sure you know your 10-11 year old and feel they are ready for this. It was disturbing to mine, but he could deal. All older kids should see as it is a great teaching movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeagles4ever December 14, 2010
Racism is a factor in this movie but shows the history about it in the football culture. African-Americans in the beginning get chased by Caucasians and try to beat them up.
Kid, 11 years old March 29, 2010

perfect for sports fans

A good movie based on a book under the same name. If your a sports fan, give it a look.
Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2010

Must see for football and drama fans..

This movie was great the first time I saw it, but just ok the second time. It's a great one-time only movie to watch and it is also and good football movie. It exeeds the PG rating with some racism, language, violence, and sex in it. Most of them are mild, especially the sex and language. It has some mature themes such as racism that only 10 and older audiences should endure.
Kid, 10 years old December 16, 2009

Very good

This African-American running back is hurt badly by racists. The language includes "ni--er and "h--l, but it is mostly fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written byExtremeNJB March 20, 2009

A Must See For Football Fans

this is one of the best football movies i have ever seen,really good acting,great story and very entertaining.
Teen, 16 years old Written byourblackego February 28, 2009

Better than most sports movies i have seen.

This is a unique movie it reminds me of the movies Pride, and Glory Road, about teams over coming racial issues to become the best. The acting in The express is good in all except the main character. Im sorry but Rob Brown ( who plays ernier davis) is unbelievable and takes away from the inspiring story. Besides that i htink it was well directed and fun , and at the ned a bit sad.A great movie!