All member reviews for The Fault in Our Stars

Heartbreaking love story is a must-see for fans of the book.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleliscious9 February 18, 2015

A Heartwarming Love Story

This film is about a girl called Hazel Grace Lancaster, who has cancer (thyroid, that developed to metastasis in her lungs), and a boy called Augustus Waters, who had cancer (osteosarcoma), and their love story. I wouldn't recommend this to kids under 13 (unless they are mature) because of the topic, brief swearing and how upsetting it can become. I know what it's like to be in Hazel's place, as do so many others, and how awful it is to have someone you love so much taken away from you when it was not their time. Whether this has happened to you or not, you are extremely likely to bawl your eyes out whilst watching this film. I remember going to the early screening of this film that they were showing near me, and I was there with my friend who had never even heard of the book and she came because she knew how much of a wreck I would be after it had finished. As it got towards the awful part, you could just hear people around me erupting into sobs, one after the other. Even my friend who had no idea what this was about, who had never been close to anyone who had cancer, by the end of it she was crying so much that she could barely breath. That is only part of the reason I don't recommend this film for anyone under 13. Even though this film is so incredibly upsetting, it is also one of the best love stories I have ever read about. Which is why, whether it makes you sob your heart out, or it doesn't affect you at all, I recommend that everyone above 13 watches it and reads the book. Not only is it an amazing love story, Hazel and Gus are great role models. They teach you not to dwell on the bad things, but to focus on the positive and live your life, however short it is, to the fullest.
Teen, 15 years old Written byoceanbby January 31, 2015

For Mature Children

Really great movie. The only innapropriate parts are the swear words, and a sex scence (showing Hazels's bare back, and Gus's chest). Plus Issac grabs Monica's boob. Other than that, mature kids can handle this.
Parent Written bykbarchery12h January 26, 2015

Beautiful heartwarming love story

The Fault In Our Stars was an amazing movie, almost as good as the book (which was awesome). I saw this with my husband, 13, and 12 year old daughters who were all fans of the book. Of course they all enjoyed it. This movie was pretty good for children over 12, but Im glad I didn't bring my 10 and 8 year olds to see it. It deals with difficult themes, like living with cancer, and it shows the heartbreaking yet true effects that cancer has on people. Language wasn't really an issue, but there was a scene where the lead role calls another character 'douche pants'. There is one brief sex scene, but nothing to graphic, we are only shown of them kissing, and then Gus removing Hazels shirt, and later, her bra, but we only see that from the back. PREPARE TO CRY AT THE END!!! Bring tissues!!! good for ages 12 and up, I wouldn't recommend for young or sensitive children.
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2015

There is no fault in this movie

This is an amazing film. They swear about 3 times and there is a couple of sexual/ kissing scenes but nothing huge. The cancer theme is great because it teaches you about real life and to live it. It has great role models and metaphorical and philosophical things in - much like other John green novels. If you are wondering on letting your kid read the book watch this it's pretty much the same in terms of swearing/sex. I would say this is younger than the book but ONLY because the book is sadder way sadder and this. Plus upset you get kids although I love sobbing with books because it showed you like it and got involved- also people rating above 12 think about it this film was rated pg -13or a reason and I would like parents to think about that ( personally I think it should have been pg but you know what...
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byNsg9059 January 18, 2015

Emotional romance that will leave you with tears

The Fault in Our Stars is a magnificent adaptation of the wonderful book by John Green. However, I would leave the little ones home for this. There is a few scenes in which heavy language is used, but it's not constant. There is also one seen, where the main characters get undressed (nothing is shown). The main reason I wouldn't bring anyone under 13 for this movie, is the continuous reminder that both the characters have cancer, and cannot be treated, so smaller kids may get a little questiony,
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2015

Disappointing

This movie was okay. I loved the novel it's based on, so I went to see the movie. It's okay. Shailene Woodley is a spectacular Hazel. But the film was a complete reproduction of the novel, quoting it frequently and precisely. And then the bed scene.... In the book, this is a brief scene where although they are in bed together, they still wear their undergarments. In the movie, Hazel takes her bra off. Why? Why do that? Also, Ansel Elgort is NOT a very good Gus.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySamantha_Prosser January 3, 2015

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is an amazing movie
Teen, 14 years old Written bymaggiedorrell December 29, 2014

It's good. But has...scenes that include some things that may be inappropriate

I think the movie was really good. It had role models,positive thoughts,but--OH-- language and sexual moments. There was making out, a short sex scene, and some language. The sex scene only showed the bareback of Hazel and the bare chest of Gus. During a moment where 2 teens make out, he grabs her boob. The language includes sh-t, one instance of f-ck, and -sshole. Over all the movie is really great, but may be offensive or inappropriate for some audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanu_directioner4eva December 21, 2014

Teen, 15 years old Written byFilmguy15 December 15, 2014

The fault in this movie

Here is everything bad in this movie. In the beginning there is a teen boy and a teen girl kissing and the boy grabs her breast in a "hot" moment. A teen girl kisses a teen boy on the cheek and they both say, "I love you" later. A woman wears slim jeans and high-heeled boots that accentuate the curves of her legs. A woman wears a short dress. Gus talks about how he's in a circle of virgins. Later there is a short sex scene. Gus and Hazel make-out a lot. There was good in this movie, it was very well made and had a good message. However could confuse a lot of children.
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2014

!!!????!!!

Ok, I am only 10 and I LOVED the movie. It has tons of romance, which is why I think it depends on a kids level of maturity. I watched alone, but I think there should be an adult at all times because there is some things that some kids would not understand what so ever. Thx
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2014

Emotional, Realistic, and Beautiful

What can I say about "The Fault In Our Stars"? It's amazing, but get ready to cry. Talking age, it depends on maturity and if your child is emotionally ready for what TFIOS has to offer. There is quite a bit of swearing, but not super extreme. There is a very brief sex scene in which you can only see Hazel's bare back and Gus' bare stomach, but other than that, it really isn't sexual. I'm only 10 and I saw it, plus my 8-year-old friend saw it, too, and she was perfectly mature with it. I would suggest it for any tween, teen, or young adult because it is a realistic, emotional, amazing love story.
Kid, 10 years old November 29, 2014

Language!

Wow! They love to cuss in this movie! Thematic elements are the strongest section i have to say. There is desth and cancer, and surgeries are shown.
Adult Written bymaleigham November 23, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

I personally love this movie! All though it is very sad, I think a tween/teen would enjoy this romantic love story. There is one love scene but, it is not bad at all... some kissing and you can see bare backs. There is a couple of uses of language ... not too bad! Other then that I loved it!
Kid, 11 years old November 18, 2014

TFIOS!!

What a great movie! TFIOS is the best , I recommend this movie for mature 12 year old and up it just have a some iffy words and 1 sex scene but it was not really iffy you MUST watch it
Kid, 11 years old November 12, 2014

LOVED IT!!!

I'm 11 and I read this before I was that age. I have read/seen much worse than the occasional sex scene. In this movie, there is a brief sex scene, but it cuts out in time. They do drink champagne a few times, but the biggest concern is swearing. Overall, it is a sad movie because it revolves around 2 kids with cancer, but it is still a great book that I recommend to everyone!
Kid, 8 years old November 9, 2014

Very sad but amazing

There is one love scene and it has brief strong language. This film his very sad but it is amazing but don't see this movie intel your 8-9-10-11.
Adult Written byMichael Sladek November 8, 2014

Emotional and Romantic

This movie has a lot of love and heartbreak including a sex scene involving some shots of breasts and some brief strong language including the f-word used once. Some brief references to smoking.
Kid, 11 years old November 3, 2014

OMG best book eva. This book is amazing, it is depressing at times but it is over all a really good book. It has a few cuss words and not really much violence. and in the book there is sex but, if u haven't had "the talk" yet u really couldn't tell.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThavs123 October 18, 2014

Amazing movie But you must be emotionally ready.

This movie is really good but you as the parent must know if your child is mature enough.Frequent s**t, a holes and one f##k which was very sudden.There is a few passionate kisses and one Sex scene for about 5 minutes.