All member reviews for The Fault in Our Stars

Heartbreaking love story is a must-see for fans of the book.

Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byPA CA Mom June 6, 2014

Mature content regarding life, death, and sex

This is a very intelligent film, scripted well and fairly true to the book, and very well-acted. There's a great message about the preciousness of life. But parents should be aware that the 17 and 18 year olds drink champagne and have sex. It can make beautiful sense within the context, but it is there.
Parent Written byJulesReviews June 9, 2014

Touching, Amazing, Heart Breaking, You will suffer, And You Will Love It At The Same Time

This movie touched my heart, you will not believe how many ladies and girls were headed to the bathroom to sob more after that movie! To all those paranoid moms out there who make there children walk out of the theater if there is even one dot on the Sex section, you are being a bit to paranoid, in this movie there is only a women's back and the man/teen boy of the movie is shirtless for a few minutes but that's how it is in PG-13 movies. There is also a little bit of kissing, but nothing to actually be concerned. Overall this is an amazing movie and if you considered it, I completely think you should go for it.
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2014

Emotional, Realistic, and Beautiful

What can I say about "The Fault In Our Stars"? It's amazing, but get ready to cry. Talking age, it depends on maturity and if your child is emotionally ready for what TFIOS has to offer. There is quite a bit of swearing, but not super extreme. There is a very brief sex scene in which you can only see Hazel's bare back and Gus' bare stomach, but other than that, it really isn't sexual. I'm only 10 and I saw it, plus my 8-year-old friend saw it, too, and she was perfectly mature with it. I would suggest it for any tween, teen, or young adult because it is a realistic, emotional, amazing love story.
Teen, 14 years old Written byYoshimite July 5, 2014

Grate movie

Is good but has few swears and bit of sexy. No violence but much sad. Is so cry. Me like movie and I wet myself with sadness.
Parent Written bykbarchery12h January 26, 2015

Beautiful heartwarming love story

The Fault In Our Stars was an amazing movie, almost as good as the book (which was awesome). I saw this with my husband, 13, and 12 year old daughters who were all fans of the book. Of course they all enjoyed it. This movie was pretty good for children over 12, but Im glad I didn't bring my 10 and 8 year olds to see it. It deals with difficult themes, like living with cancer, and it shows the heartbreaking yet true effects that cancer has on people. Language wasn't really an issue, but there was a scene where the lead role calls another character 'douche pants'. There is one brief sex scene, but nothing to graphic, we are only shown of them kissing, and then Gus removing Hazels shirt, and later, her bra, but we only see that from the back. PREPARE TO CRY AT THE END!!! Bring tissues!!! good for ages 12 and up, I wouldn't recommend for young or sensitive children.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHorrorlover1213 June 6, 2014

The fault in our stars

Very very well acted and thought out. Though the love scene is an iffy for some viewers that are less mature. You can somewhat see the side of hazels breast but nothing more than passionate kissing. The language is used in the appropriate areas and it's language that any teen would be using today so it's nothing we haven't heard before. Overall it was excellently played out and I would say its a great movie for a more mature 13 and up. I will say now in advance in warning that you will most likely shed one tear or two if your on the more sensitive side.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byQuandary June 20, 2014

gratuitous tear jerker - poorly acted

As an intensive care pediatrician, I have sadly seen many teenagers die. Nothing, and I mean, nothing is more wrong in the universe. And I guess this movie gets that point across. It introduces the idea that even vulnerable children need their independence to grow up for as long as they have - that the experience of falling in love should be experienced by everyone - that a first sexual experience should be well-thought-out, mature decision and with someone you really love. But the acting was really terrible and I find it so very disrespectful to the teenagers that are really dying to use the sadness of their horrible fates as an outlet for the rest of us to weep in a theater, as if it were happening to us or our families. It is not.
Teen, 15 years old Written byoceanbby January 31, 2015

For Mature Children

Really great movie. The only innapropriate parts are the swear words, and a sex scence (showing Hazels's bare back, and Gus's chest). Plus Issac grabs Monica's boob. Other than that, mature kids can handle this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAlope5 June 9, 2014
Teen, 14 years old Written byStella Star June 6, 2014

An Uplifting Story

The Fault in Our Stars was wonderful, yet tragic story of two teens with cancer. Hazel (played by Shailene Woodley, who also played Tris in Divergent) and Gus (played by Ansel Elgort), are two star-crossed lovers who meet at a cancer support group. I promise to not give any spoilers, but I say "pause" for 13 because there was one scene where Hazel and Gus have sex. It is not a major scene, but Gus takes off Hazel's shirt and you know it happens (even though you can't see). In the book, Hazel says they have safe sex, although they don't mention it in the movie. They also swear a couple times throughout the movie, and you will probably cry several times, especially at the end!! Mature 12 and 13 year olds will be able to handle it. The characters are all very likable, and the movie was almost exactly the same as the book, which I liked, since sometimes movies change the story a little for drama. Bring plenty of tissues, and I guarantee that you will enjoy this movie!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviefanatic88 August 30, 2014

A movie that makes you appreciate life.

Time and time again I kept hearing on social media, "OMG TFIOS (The Fault in Our Stars) is coming out!!!" I was really confused and after hearing raved reviews about the book and high anticipation about the movie, I decided to read it before seeing it. The book was extraordinary and I definitely sobbed my heart out. Now to the movie. I was worried that they wouldn't accurately represent the book in its greatness, but they did an amazing job on it. I went and saw it with my mom and we sobbed so much. I read some other parent reviews before writing mine to see what parents had been concerned about. I want you to know that 1) There is swearing, but I think it is used appropriately in the sense that they aren't swearing just because it is "cool" or something 2) There is a sex scene (I actually left both times I saw the movie because I am awkward) but my mom never mentioned anything about it being too intense (and she has done so about other things before) 3) I feel like Shai and Ansel did an amazing job at least on the characters and interpreting John Green's version of sick kids. I have never witnessed dying kids, but I think that it is important to know that it happens and to take the questions and wisdom away from the book/movie I think it is definitely something to watch (probably more for girls) and I wouldn't be too worried about the cussing and sex
Kid, 10 years old July 15, 2014

TFIOS!

I think that this is a very great adaption of the book by John Green, and while a target for teenage audiences, i have read TFIOS, even though i am only 11. While there is some sex, and strong swearing, it is definitely ok for tweens to watch, as long as they have read the book, and are prepared for the sad and mature themes of the movie.
Kid, 12 years old August 8, 2014

Such an incredible film... Read this review

This is such an amazing movie, almost as good as the book! The actors are great and everything is just as I pictured! There is a sexy scene but if you are concerned about this movie it should be about the language, there is frequent swearing including 1 use of the f word. There is also quite a few upsetting scenes but to me that's all part of the magic of the movie, anyone 12 and over should watch this and I recommend reading the book first.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygmvyoshi July 5, 2014

Lovely Film Adaptation.

"The Fault In Our Stars" is a very great movie but not for anyone under 15. Sex-there is one sex scene, showing Hazel and Augustus stripping of their clothes, completely naked but not shown and having implied sex. Also, there's a somewhat-brief scene where Isaac is fondling Monica's breasts while making out with her (groping). Language-infrequent, strong language includes one use of f--k and a few uses of the following: s--t, son of a b--ch, bastard, nuts, a--hole, sucks and goddamn. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking-Augustus puts cigarettes in his mouth but does not light them, so he's not actually smoking them, but just putting them in his mouth for pleasure. Peter Van Houten, author of "An Imperial Affliction," is a drunk and basically every scene he's in, he's holding a drink/flask, even at Gus's funeral. Hazel briefly discusses "taking" pot when having a fake ID. Overall, it's a great movie with Hazel and Gus as great role models. Great romance movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written byVirginia D. August 12, 2014

Bitterweet Story; As Heartbreaking as it is Beautiful

The Fault In Our Stars is a bittersweet love story with a strong message. This is a fantastic story, and a depiction of true love. However this is also a mature story, both the lead characters have terminal cancer, and this movie does not shy away from touching base with that. However, this movie is not about being sick, it's about making the most out of the cards you are given in life. Both Hazel and Augustus are sick, yet they both refuse to take the time that they are given for granted and they make the most of the time they have together. Parents should be aware that this movie can be hard for younger kids to watch, because as one characters cancer progresses they begin to completely unravel. This movie also has one brief love scene, though it's not raunchy, and it's more emotionally then sexually charged. There's also some talk of virginity, and frequent language, including one f***. There's also some infrequent teenage drinking, and one character has a habit of placing an unlit cigarette between his teeth, as a metaphor. Overall, this movie has a strong message of never taking life for granted and finding love and positivity in even the worst of situations.
Kid, 11 years old July 6, 2014
Kid, 12 years old June 8, 2014

Perfect. Can't be better described than perfection.

The Fault In Our Stars in an excellent movie about love, loss, and life. The movie has wonderful actors and a very funny script. There are only small cautions that parents might have. The language is a little harsh. Using words that most 12 and + will know. Like… f**k, s**t, a**hole, and others not as bad. There is also a few seconds of a scene where the two main characters are in bed taking off their clothes. Nothing is showed except for Hazel's bare back and Gus' chest. Other than that, the movie is perfectly fine. There are a few times where you will probably cry. The story is sad, but rewarding. In the end, you will not regret letting you're children see it. It's definitely a must see movie of the summer.
Kid, 11 years old June 7, 2014

Love it!

I just saw this, and I loved it so much! The acting is great, and everyone was crying really hard. Language: There is some brief harsh language, but not a lot at all Sex: Hazel and Gus kiss a few times. Talk of virginity, and losing it. Hazel and Gus have sex, but you can't see anything and the scene is very quick Violence: Well, Hazel and Gus and Peter all have cancer, which can be scary at parts. SPOILER ALERT: in one scene, Gus coughs up blood which was kind of disturbing to me. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: Hazel and Gus drink champagne but don't get drunk, and a side character is drunk a lot Anyways, I loved this movie and think it's okay for older pre-teens
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleliscious9 February 18, 2015

A Heartwarming Love Story

This film is about a girl called Hazel Grace Lancaster, who has cancer (thyroid, that developed to metastasis in her lungs), and a boy called Augustus Waters, who had cancer (osteosarcoma), and their love story. I wouldn't recommend this to kids under 13 (unless they are mature) because of the topic, brief swearing and how upsetting it can become. I know what it's like to be in Hazel's place, as do so many others, and how awful it is to have someone you love so much taken away from you when it was not their time. Whether this has happened to you or not, you are extremely likely to bawl your eyes out whilst watching this film. I remember going to the early screening of this film that they were showing near me, and I was there with my friend who had never even heard of the book and she came because she knew how much of a wreck I would be after it had finished. As it got towards the awful part, you could just hear people around me erupting into sobs, one after the other. Even my friend who had no idea what this was about, who had never been close to anyone who had cancer, by the end of it she was crying so much that she could barely breath. That is only part of the reason I don't recommend this film for anyone under 13. Even though this film is so incredibly upsetting, it is also one of the best love stories I have ever read about. Which is why, whether it makes you sob your heart out, or it doesn't affect you at all, I recommend that everyone above 13 watches it and reads the book. Not only is it an amazing love story, Hazel and Gus are great role models. They teach you not to dwell on the bad things, but to focus on the positive and live your life, however short it is, to the fullest.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez July 6, 2014

14 and up.

this romance movie The Fault in Our Stars is a sad and a good movie to see perfect for your older teens and parents you need to know that The Fault in Our Stars has some sexuality shown in one scene where the two are shown in bed together after sex but no nudity shown there are some strong language used and some drinking used overall the movie does have a positive message about life, love, and relationships as well as literature and the role model is that Hazel's mom and dad are amazing: supportive, loving, and understanding of her needing time and space to be with Augustus. Hazel and Gus don't let their cancer keep them away from each other, and Gus especially feels strongly about surrounding himself with beauty and joy, particularly Hazel.