All member reviews for The Fault in Our Stars

Kid, 12 years old July 2, 2014

Strong.

The movie, while not as good as the book, is a metaphor nonetheless. With it's memorable cast of characters and impressive storyline does have some suggestive content, including smoking, drinking, sex and language. However, the messages conveyed by these themes are much better than other movies. Parents, let your kids see this. Trust me, they'll thank you.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAlpenner July 1, 2014

Unexpected

I heard this movie was the new 'Frozen'. Watching the movie I was a bit surprised, in my opinion it was a bit corny. The story was great, but scenes in the movie I felt were leaving a bad impact on teens. The acting was not the best I've seen, and they could tone down the cursing. I'm surprised this movie is PG.
Kid, 11 years old June 15, 2014

This movie was charming and heartfelt film with tragedy involved as well. I saw the movie at age 11 but I can handle sad and sexual content. If your child can not handle sad or sexual content then I do not recommend this movie. There is a scene where you see hazel and Gus in a bed completely naked and but don't see and private areas and talk about virginity in points in the movie as well. The medical scenes are kind of disturbing when Gus coughs up blood and is almost going insane and when it shows knee does going in hazels neck.
Kid, 10 years old June 9, 2014

Perfect

This is an awesome movie and it's not that bad it is fine for mature 10 year olds
Teen, 13 years old Written byDelaney901 June 7, 2014

Great movie, but a little hard on the words!

As a teen like me might say: "Right in the feels!". I watched this movie yesterday and it was the best movie true to the book that I had ever seen! There were almost no differences! The movie is a little heavy on the cuss words, but you can ignore those. The sex scene is completely appropriate, and nothing is showed. Augustus never actually smokes, and they barely drink.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMinkah March 29, 2015

Overall

The movie is about cancer and lets face it, cancer is sad. To talk about, to hear about, just everything. So make sure you have some tissues handy throughout this film. I watched this when I was 12 and it was a little much but it gave my parents and I a lot to talk about. I would recommend that parents wait until 13 or 14 to have their children watch The Fault in Our Stars. There is a single cigarette involved, but it is never lit. Over all it is the best movie every and I would recommend it to any 13 or 14 year old out there!
Kid, 11 years old March 24, 2015

Very good, but....

In this movie, it is very heartwarming, but do not let a kid who mimics watch this movie, meaning, that they do not say words and phrases they see on T.V. This is because their is quite a bit of swearing. That includes f*** and s*** and ***hole. Their is also a sex scene. But if you know what it is, it wasn't really. They do not show anything except that he takes her shirt and bra off. This is mainly for the mature. If you are a mature 10 yr old, watch it. But if you are a immature 14 yr old you should not see this movie. But this is a great movie and has a lot of positive influences in this movie. A must see!
Kid, 9 years old September 21, 2014

One of the best dramas I've seen in a long time!

At first, this film may look boring, clichéd, and cheesy. That's OK, but this is a film you should not underestimate. "The Fault In Our Stars" is a heartwarming example of making the most of every day you have left. With great traits like lovable and memorable characters, a decent yet dramatic plot, and plenty of thought-provoking quotes from Augustus, I thought this was one of those films that really makes you think about how great life can be when it's with someone you love. Now, parents must know that there is lots of suggestive material, including teenage swearing, brief (yet not explicit) sexual activity, and some very, very sad sequences throughout the film. However, besides brief use of the fast-forward button, you will love this heartfelt, affectionate love story that is so much more than your expectations! I would rate this film: PG-13 for strong emotional thematic material throughout, sexual and suggestive references including some sexuality, medical images, and brief depiction of drinking.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCurmagicwithin September 19, 2014

My favorite movie.

A+ Definitely see this movie
Kid, 12 years old September 19, 2014

Inspiring!

This was a rlly good movie and book. great for kids 12+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmmaD3434 August 12, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

The fault in our stars is awesome!! It has great role models and great messages for children. It does include a scene which hazel takes her top off (but still has underwear on) but its not a long scene so still appropriate for kids. There are cigarettes in the footage but the characters clearly state that they are bad for people. Its a really great film which i would watch 100 times but never get bored. Its a tragic story about to teens who meet at a support group and helps eachother through cancer. I hope you enjoy watching this great movie. :)
Kid, 11 years old July 9, 2014

Amazing!

Great movie, enjoyed every second of it! Loved the connection between Hazel and Gus. And also so inspiring showing that you can do anything even if you have Cancer. Loved the story line! Only a few passionate kisses and one "akward" scene. Other than that lololoved it!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2014

beautiful, heart wrenching love story

TFiOS is my new favorite movie of all time! I love the story, and my fave actress (Shailene Woodley) stars in it! But some scenes are really intense, like in one she's being rushed to the hospital in slow motion and there's really dramatic music in the background, and when someone died, the whole theater was sobbing! As the Motion Picture Association of America also said, there are "brief moments of strong language". The teens also drink champagne, and Gus puts a cigarette in his mouth but doesn't light it (it's a metaphor) but when Hazel thought he was a smoker she made sure to stress how uncool that was. What else? Oh, yeah! They kiss a lot and have safe sex.
Teen, 14 years old Written byemilyy49 June 13, 2014

Perfect.

Its very sad but really good story line. I admit i cried like everyone in the theater did. I usually never give a movie 5 stars but this one deserved it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJflores14 June 8, 2014

Fun yet tragic story about love and loss

This amazing book adaption made john greens novel come to life! Best cancer movie ever made! Content: (contains some spoilers*****) Violence- someone eggs a car and almost hits a woman with an egg Sex- gus and hazel kiss a few times, a boy gropes and ruffly grabs a woman's breast(hazel comments that it looks like he's hurting her boob), near the end of the film gus and hazel consummate their love and fling themselves on a bed in a hotel. She undoes his shirt and he takes off hers. Hazel is seen in her bra for a good 2 minutes or so and then she removes it and we briefly see her bare back and the sides of her breast and gus touches them. Profanity- many uses of s**t and gods name. Hazel tells van houten to "go f**k himself". Some usage of b***h and b**tard. Hazel calls van houten a "douche pants" and a "a**hole". Thematic material: younger viewers as well as teens will be disturbed by some of the cancer scenes showing puss and blood. Drugs/drinking/smoking: gus uses an unlit cigarette throughout the film
Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2015

Very good!

This film is a very good film, one of my all time favourites! It is about cancer, which is sad, so have a box of tissues with you! This does have a scene where the two main characters Hazel and Gus sleep together but it's only bare backs. There is swearing in it, but not as much as the book had! It does also have a drunk man who wrote Hazel's favourite book, much to her disbelief, so there is drinking. But overall it is a must-see film of our time!
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2015

There is no fault in this movie

This is an amazing film. They swear about 3 times and there is a couple of sexual/ kissing scenes but nothing huge. The cancer theme is great because it teaches you about real life and to live it. It has great role models and metaphorical and philosophical things in - much like other John green novels. If you are wondering on letting your kid read the book watch this it's pretty much the same in terms of swearing/sex. I would say this is younger than the book but ONLY because the book is sadder way sadder and this. Plus upset you get kids although I love sobbing with books because it showed you like it and got involved- also people rating above 12 think about it this film was rated pg -13or a reason and I would like parents to think about that ( personally I think it should have been pg but you know what...
Teen, 14 years old Written bymaggiedorrell December 29, 2014

It's good. But has...scenes that include some things that may be inappropriate

I think the movie was really good. It had role models,positive thoughts,but--OH-- language and sexual moments. There was making out, a short sex scene, and some language. The sex scene only showed the bareback of Hazel and the bare chest of Gus. During a moment where 2 teens make out, he grabs her boob. The language includes sh-t, one instance of f-ck, and -sshole. Over all the movie is really great, but may be offensive or inappropriate for some audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanu_directioner4eva December 21, 2014

Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2014

!!!????!!!

Ok, I am only 10 and I LOVED the movie. It has tons of romance, which is why I think it depends on a kids level of maturity. I watched alone, but I think there should be an adult at all times because there is some things that some kids would not understand what so ever. Thx