All member reviews for The Fault in Our Stars

Teen, 14 years old Written byYoshimite July 5, 2014

Grate movie

Is good but has few swears and bit of sexy. No violence but much sad. Is so cry. Me like movie and I wet myself with sadness.
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2014

Emotional, Realistic, and Beautiful

What can I say about "The Fault In Our Stars"? It's amazing, but get ready to cry. Talking age, it depends on maturity and if your child is emotionally ready for what TFIOS has to offer. There is quite a bit of swearing, but not super extreme. There is a very brief sex scene in which you can only see Hazel's bare back and Gus' bare stomach, but other than that, it really isn't sexual. I'm only 10 and I saw it, plus my 8-year-old friend saw it, too, and she was perfectly mature with it. I would suggest it for any tween, teen, or young adult because it is a realistic, emotional, amazing love story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHorrorlover1213 June 6, 2014

The fault in our stars

Very very well acted and thought out. Though the love scene is an iffy for some viewers that are less mature. You can somewhat see the side of hazels breast but nothing more than passionate kissing. The language is used in the appropriate areas and it's language that any teen would be using today so it's nothing we haven't heard before. Overall it was excellently played out and I would say its a great movie for a more mature 13 and up. I will say now in advance in warning that you will most likely shed one tear or two if your on the more sensitive side.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleliscious9 February 18, 2015

A Heartwarming Love Story

This film is about a girl called Hazel Grace Lancaster, who has cancer (thyroid, that developed to metastasis in her lungs), and a boy called Augustus Waters, who had cancer (osteosarcoma), and their love story. I wouldn't recommend this to kids under 13 (unless they are mature) because of the topic, brief swearing and how upsetting it can become. I know what it's like to be in Hazel's place, as do so many others, and how awful it is to have someone you love so much taken away from you when it was not their time. Whether this has happened to you or not, you are extremely likely to bawl your eyes out whilst watching this film. I remember going to the early screening of this film that they were showing near me, and I was there with my friend who had never even heard of the book and she came because she knew how much of a wreck I would be after it had finished. As it got towards the awful part, you could just hear people around me erupting into sobs, one after the other. Even my friend who had no idea what this was about, who had never been close to anyone who had cancer, by the end of it she was crying so much that she could barely breath. That is only part of the reason I don't recommend this film for anyone under 13. Even though this film is so incredibly upsetting, it is also one of the best love stories I have ever read about. Which is why, whether it makes you sob your heart out, or it doesn't affect you at all, I recommend that everyone above 13 watches it and reads the book. Not only is it an amazing love story, Hazel and Gus are great role models. They teach you not to dwell on the bad things, but to focus on the positive and live your life, however short it is, to the fullest.
Kid, 10 years old July 15, 2014

TFIOS!

I think that this is a very great adaption of the book by John Green, and while a target for teenage audiences, i have read TFIOS, even though i am only 11. While there is some sex, and strong swearing, it is definitely ok for tweens to watch, as long as they have read the book, and are prepared for the sad and mature themes of the movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAlope5 June 9, 2014

Teen, 14 years old Written byStella Star June 6, 2014

An Uplifting Story

The Fault in Our Stars was wonderful, yet tragic story of two teens with cancer. Hazel (played by Shailene Woodley, who also played Tris in Divergent) and Gus (played by Ansel Elgort), are two star-crossed lovers who meet at a cancer support group. I promise to not give any spoilers, but I say "pause" for 13 because there was one scene where Hazel and Gus have sex. It is not a major scene, but Gus takes off Hazel's shirt and you know it happens (even though you can't see). In the book, Hazel says they have safe sex, although they don't mention it in the movie. They also swear a couple times throughout the movie, and you will probably cry several times, especially at the end!! Mature 12 and 13 year olds will be able to handle it. The characters are all very likable, and the movie was almost exactly the same as the book, which I liked, since sometimes movies change the story a little for drama. Bring plenty of tissues, and I guarantee that you will enjoy this movie!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviefanatic88 August 30, 2014

A movie that makes you appreciate life.

Time and time again I kept hearing on social media, "OMG TFIOS (The Fault in Our Stars) is coming out!!!" I was really confused and after hearing raved reviews about the book and high anticipation about the movie, I decided to read it before seeing it. The book was extraordinary and I definitely sobbed my heart out. Now to the movie. I was worried that they wouldn't accurately represent the book in its greatness, but they did an amazing job on it. I went and saw it with my mom and we sobbed so much. I read some other parent reviews before writing mine to see what parents had been concerned about. I want you to know that 1) There is swearing, but I think it is used appropriately in the sense that they aren't swearing just because it is "cool" or something 2) There is a sex scene (I actually left both times I saw the movie because I am awkward) but my mom never mentioned anything about it being too intense (and she has done so about other things before) 3) I feel like Shai and Ansel did an amazing job at least on the characters and interpreting John Green's version of sick kids. I have never witnessed dying kids, but I think that it is important to know that it happens and to take the questions and wisdom away from the book/movie I think it is definitely something to watch (probably more for girls) and I wouldn't be too worried about the cussing and sex
Teen, 17 years old Written byvmd1997 August 12, 2014

Bitterweet Story; As Heartbreaking as it is Beautiful

The Fault In Our Stars is a bittersweet love story with a strong message. This is a fantastic story, and a depiction of true love. However this is also a mature story, both the lead characters have terminal cancer, and this movie does not shy away from touching base with that. However, this movie is not about being sick, it's about making the most out of the cards you are given in life. Both Hazel and Augustus are sick, yet they both refuse to take the time that they are given for granted and they make the most of the time they have together. Parents should be aware that this movie can be hard for younger kids to watch, because as one characters cancer progresses they begin to completely unravel. This movie also has one brief love scene, though it's not raunchy, and it's more emotionally then sexually charged. There's also some talk of virginity, and frequent language, including one f***. There's also some infrequent teenage drinking, and one character has a habit of placing an unlit cigarette between his teeth, as a metaphor. Overall, this movie has a strong message of never taking life for granted and finding love and positivity in even the worst of situations.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygmvyoshi July 5, 2014

Lovely Film Adaptation.

"The Fault In Our Stars" is a very great movie but not for anyone under 15. Sex-there is one sex scene, showing Hazel and Augustus stripping of their clothes, completely naked but not shown and having implied sex. Also, there's a somewhat-brief scene where Isaac is fondling Monica's breasts while making out with her (groping). Language-infrequent, strong language includes one use of f--k and a few uses of the following: s--t, son of a b--ch, bastard, nuts, a--hole, sucks and goddamn. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking-Augustus puts cigarettes in his mouth but does not light them, so he's not actually smoking them, but just putting them in his mouth for pleasure. Peter Van Houten, author of "An Imperial Affliction," is a drunk and basically every scene he's in, he's holding a drink/flask, even at Gus's funeral. Hazel briefly discusses "taking" pot when having a fake ID. Overall, it's a great movie with Hazel and Gus as great role models. Great romance movie.
Kid, 11 years old June 8, 2014

The Amazing In Our Stars

#1 movie I saw in 2014! I mean it! It made me cry so much even if I am a boy. I am a touching kid, so I cry a lot in touching movies, but I have not seen a movie this touching since a long time. The book was amazing, and I think so the movie. Most of my friends hate the book and movie just because it's not violent, but I want more movies like these days because we should teach people something and not make them violent. This movie is one of the best movies in the world and will probably stand a fist of time. Hazel and Augustus (Gus) are both amazing people and so are their parents. They are all very touching. My MPAA Rating: Rated PG-13: For intense thematic elements and material throughout, sensuality, some strong language, and some mild underage drinking.
Teen, 15 years old Written byoceanbby January 31, 2015

For Mature Children

Really great movie. The only innapropriate parts are the swear words, and a sex scence (showing Hazels's bare back, and Gus's chest). Plus Issac grabs Monica's boob. Other than that, mature kids can handle this.
Kid, 11 years old July 6, 2014

Kid, 12 years old June 8, 2014

Perfect. Can't be better described than perfection.

The Fault In Our Stars in an excellent movie about love, loss, and life. The movie has wonderful actors and a very funny script. There are only small cautions that parents might have. The language is a little harsh. Using words that most 12 and + will know. Like… f**k, s**t, a**hole, and others not as bad. There is also a few seconds of a scene where the two main characters are in bed taking off their clothes. Nothing is showed except for Hazel's bare back and Gus' chest. Other than that, the movie is perfectly fine. There are a few times where you will probably cry. The story is sad, but rewarding. In the end, you will not regret letting you're children see it. It's definitely a must see movie of the summer.
Kid, 11 years old June 7, 2014

Sad movie but outstanding!

I freaking love this movie! I read the book and the movie followed the book perfectly! It was really sad and confusing. SPOILER. A character dies at the very end of it. All I can honestly say is AMAZING MOVIE! Perfect follow of the book! I would although,if you are a parent, get your child the book first or you read over it so they would know what to expect in the movie. Be prepared. Have tissues.
Kid, 11 years old June 7, 2014

Love it!

I just saw this, and I loved it so much! The acting is great, and everyone was crying really hard. Language: There is some brief harsh language, but not a lot at all Sex: Hazel and Gus kiss a few times. Talk of virginity, and losing it. Hazel and Gus have sex, but you can't see anything and the scene is very quick Violence: Well, Hazel and Gus and Peter all have cancer, which can be scary at parts. SPOILER ALERT: in one scene, Gus coughs up blood which was kind of disturbing to me. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: Hazel and Gus drink champagne but don't get drunk, and a side character is drunk a lot Anyways, I loved this movie and think it's okay for older pre-teens
Teen, 14 years old Written byDaisyGirl2000 June 7, 2014

Great movie!!! Must see!!!

The book and the movie are almost, pretty much identical. If you are a fan of the book, SEE IT. After seeing the movie, you can have some pretty insightful discussions. There is quite a bit of language and kissing. The sex scene is there, but you don't really see anything. A cigarette or two is show on the screen, but it is never lit. I say 14 is a good age. Overall it is GREAT! Go see it!
Kid, 12 years old August 8, 2014

Such an incredible film... Read this review

This is such an amazing movie, almost as good as the book! The actors are great and everything is just as I pictured! There is a sexy scene but if you are concerned about this movie it should be about the language, there is frequent swearing including 1 use of the f word. There is also quite a few upsetting scenes but to me that's all part of the magic of the movie, anyone 12 and over should watch this and I recommend reading the book first.
Teen, 17 years old Written byIlovemovies❤️❤️❤️ July 29, 2014

Is "The Fault In Our Stars" for kids?

I usually don't enjoy "love" movies but when I watched this movie I actually found it entertaining and somewhat out of the ordinary. Language is low-key but there are some words that can be "Un-expected" such as one use of "go f--k your self", "bitch", "s--t", and "hell". There is one sex scene that lasts about 25 seconds (nothing is graphic but you do see the girls bare back and everything is pure love and is more kissing than actual sex). Some talk is about being a virgin or not. Some intense love is in this movie. Violence is very low-key but their is a scene where a couple of teenagers throw eggs at a car but it's more of joking around than actually having aggression. There are no drugs in "The Fault In Our Star" bit there is some drug content. For example, Hazel (the main character) claims that she "needs to get out into the world by getting a fake id and taking pot" (it's obvious to know that she was just kidding). A young man takes a cigarette about 4 times in the movie but never actually lit the cigarette (wanted people to know that it was a metaphor).
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2014

Great movie for teenager

Read the book and watched the movie loved them but they have these scene that was NOT FOR KIDS 14 AND UNDER but i would recomend it to teenagers (who read the book first). Hazel and Agustus teach the audience to make the best of every situation