All member reviews for The Fault in Our Stars

Teen, 13 years old Written byMinkah March 29, 2015

Overall

The movie is about cancer and lets face it, cancer is sad. To talk about, to hear about, just everything. So make sure you have some tissues handy throughout this film. I watched this when I was 12 and it was a little much but it gave my parents and I a lot to talk about. I would recommend that parents wait until 13 or 14 to have their children watch The Fault in Our Stars. There is a single cigarette involved, but it is never lit. Over all it is the best movie every and I would recommend it to any 13 or 14 year old out there!
Kid, 11 years old March 24, 2015

Very good, but....

In this movie, it is very heartwarming, but do not let a kid who mimics watch this movie, meaning, that they do not say words and phrases they see on T.V. This is because their is quite a bit of swearing. That includes f*** and s*** and ***hole. Their is also a sex scene. But if you know what it is, it wasn't really. They do not show anything except that he takes her shirt and bra off. This is mainly for the mature. If you are a mature 10 yr old, watch it. But if you are a immature 14 yr old you should not see this movie. But this is a great movie and has a lot of positive influences in this movie. A must see!
Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2015

Iffy

I read The Fault in our Stars before I saw the movie and the swearing is toned down a bit compared to the book. There is one scene where the two main characters share a passionate kiss and also a scene where kissing turns into more, but then the screen fades to black. I would recommend The Fault in our Stars to maturer tweens and teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byalbertadawn125 March 22, 2015

Great movie!

This is a heartwarming movie with a great meaning and story. This is probably a movie mainly for kids 12 and older or mature kids of the ages 10+.As many others have said, the book was better ( as it is for many movies), but this movie was definitely great. It is one of my favourite movies! There is one love scene though it is not graphic at all, all seen is Hazel's bare back and Gus' chest. There are a few kisses but those are not graphic either. Gus uses a ' metaphor' of putting unlit ciggarettes in his mouth throughout the movie, and Hazel and Gus drink some champagne. Only a few swears ( like 'f**k' is sayed once, 's**t' and small swears) It has very good role models and a great message for adults, teens, and kids. I highly suggest this title! As a warning-I cried one or twice while watching this movie! But I get emotional quickly so I don't know if you will cry! :) If you decide to watch The Fault in our Stars, you will definitely enjoy it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleliscious9 February 18, 2015

A Heartwarming Love Story

This film is about a girl called Hazel Grace Lancaster, who has cancer (thyroid, that developed to metastasis in her lungs), and a boy called Augustus Waters, who had cancer (osteosarcoma), and their love story. I wouldn't recommend this to kids under 13 (unless they are mature) because of the topic, brief swearing and how upsetting it can become. I know what it's like to be in Hazel's place, as do so many others, and how awful it is to have someone you love so much taken away from you when it was not their time. Whether this has happened to you or not, you are extremely likely to bawl your eyes out whilst watching this film. I remember going to the early screening of this film that they were showing near me, and I was there with my friend who had never even heard of the book and she came because she knew how much of a wreck I would be after it had finished. As it got towards the awful part, you could just hear people around me erupting into sobs, one after the other. Even my friend who had no idea what this was about, who had never been close to anyone who had cancer, by the end of it she was crying so much that she could barely breath. That is only part of the reason I don't recommend this film for anyone under 13. Even though this film is so incredibly upsetting, it is also one of the best love stories I have ever read about. Which is why, whether it makes you sob your heart out, or it doesn't affect you at all, I recommend that everyone above 13 watches it and reads the book. Not only is it an amazing love story, Hazel and Gus are great role models. They teach you not to dwell on the bad things, but to focus on the positive and live your life, however short it is, to the fullest.
Teen, 15 years old Written byoceanbby January 31, 2015

For Mature Children

Really great movie. The only innapropriate parts are the swear words, and a sex scence (showing Hazels's bare back, and Gus's chest). Plus Issac grabs Monica's boob. Other than that, mature kids can handle this.
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2015

There is no fault in this movie

This is an amazing film. They swear about 3 times and there is a couple of sexual/ kissing scenes but nothing huge. The cancer theme is great because it teaches you about real life and to live it. It has great role models and metaphorical and philosophical things in - much like other John green novels. If you are wondering on letting your kid read the book watch this it's pretty much the same in terms of swearing/sex. I would say this is younger than the book but ONLY because the book is sadder way sadder and this. Plus upset you get kids although I love sobbing with books because it showed you like it and got involved- also people rating above 12 think about it this film was rated pg -13or a reason and I would like parents to think about that ( personally I think it should have been pg but you know what...
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2015

Disappointing

This movie was okay. I loved the novel it's based on, so I went to see the movie. It's okay. Shailene Woodley is a spectacular Hazel. But the film was a complete reproduction of the novel, quoting it frequently and precisely. And then the bed scene.... In the book, this is a brief scene where although they are in bed together, they still wear their undergarments. In the movie, Hazel takes her bra off. Why? Why do that? Also, Ansel Elgort is NOT a very good Gus.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySamantha_Prosser January 3, 2015

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is an amazing movie
Teen, 14 years old Written bymaggiedorrell December 29, 2014

It's good. But has...scenes that include some things that may be inappropriate

I think the movie was really good. It had role models,positive thoughts,but--OH-- language and sexual moments. There was making out, a short sex scene, and some language. The sex scene only showed the bareback of Hazel and the bare chest of Gus. During a moment where 2 teens make out, he grabs her boob. The language includes sh-t, one instance of f-ck, and -sshole. Over all the movie is really great, but may be offensive or inappropriate for some audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanu_directioner4eva December 21, 2014

Teen, 15 years old Written byFilmguy15 December 15, 2014

The fault in this movie

Here is everything bad in this movie. In the beginning there is a teen boy and a teen girl kissing and the boy grabs her breast in a "hot" moment. A teen girl kisses a teen boy on the cheek and they both say, "I love you" later. A woman wears slim jeans and high-heeled boots that accentuate the curves of her legs. A woman wears a short dress. Gus talks about how he's in a circle of virgins. Later there is a short sex scene. Gus and Hazel make-out a lot. There was good in this movie, it was very well made and had a good message. However could confuse a lot of children.
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2014

!!!????!!!

Ok, I am only 10 and I LOVED the movie. It has tons of romance, which is why I think it depends on a kids level of maturity. I watched alone, but I think there should be an adult at all times because there is some things that some kids would not understand what so ever. Thx
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2014

Emotional, Realistic, and Beautiful

What can I say about "The Fault In Our Stars"? It's amazing, but get ready to cry. Talking age, it depends on maturity and if your child is emotionally ready for what TFIOS has to offer. There is quite a bit of swearing, but not super extreme. There is a very brief sex scene in which you can only see Hazel's bare back and Gus' bare stomach, but other than that, it really isn't sexual. I'm only 10 and I saw it, plus my 8-year-old friend saw it, too, and she was perfectly mature with it. I would suggest it for any tween, teen, or young adult because it is a realistic, emotional, amazing love story.
Kid, 10 years old November 29, 2014

Language!

Wow! They love to cuss in this movie! Thematic elements are the strongest section i have to say. There is desth and cancer, and surgeries are shown.
Kid, 11 years old November 18, 2014

TFIOS!!

What a great movie! TFIOS is the best , I recommend this movie for mature 12 year old and up it just have a some iffy words and 1 sex scene but it was not really iffy you MUST watch it
Kid, 11 years old November 12, 2014

LOVED IT!!!

I'm 11 and I read this before I was that age. I have read/seen much worse than the occasional sex scene. In this movie, there is a brief sex scene, but it cuts out in time. They do drink champagne a few times, but the biggest concern is swearing. Overall, it is a sad movie because it revolves around 2 kids with cancer, but it is still a great book that I recommend to everyone!
Kid, 8 years old November 9, 2014

Very sad but amazing

There is one love scene and it has brief strong language. This film his very sad but it is amazing but don't see this movie intel your 8-9-10-11.
Kid, 11 years old November 3, 2014

OMG best book eva. This book is amazing, it is depressing at times but it is over all a really good book. It has a few cuss words and not really much violence. and in the book there is sex but, if u haven't had "the talk" yet u really couldn't tell.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThavs123 October 18, 2014

Amazing movie But you must be emotionally ready.

This movie is really good but you as the parent must know if your child is mature enough.Frequent s**t, a holes and one f##k which was very sudden.There is a few passionate kisses and one Sex scene for about 5 minutes.