All member reviews for The Fault in Our Stars

Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleliscious9 February 18, 2015

A Heartwarming Love Story

This film is about a girl called Hazel Grace Lancaster, who has cancer (thyroid, that developed to metastasis in her lungs), and a boy called Augustus Waters, who had cancer (osteosarcoma), and their love story. I wouldn't recommend this to kids under 13 (unless they are mature) because of the topic, brief swearing and how upsetting it can become. I know what it's like to be in Hazel's place, as do so many others, and how awful it is to have someone you love so much taken away from you when it was not their time. Whether this has happened to you or not, you are extremely likely to bawl your eyes out whilst watching this film. I remember going to the early screening of this film that they were showing near me, and I was there with my friend who had never even heard of the book and she came because she knew how much of a wreck I would be after it had finished. As it got towards the awful part, you could just hear people around me erupting into sobs, one after the other. Even my friend who had no idea what this was about, who had never been close to anyone who had cancer, by the end of it she was crying so much that she could barely breath. That is only part of the reason I don't recommend this film for anyone under 13. Even though this film is so incredibly upsetting, it is also one of the best love stories I have ever read about. Which is why, whether it makes you sob your heart out, or it doesn't affect you at all, I recommend that everyone above 13 watches it and reads the book. Not only is it an amazing love story, Hazel and Gus are great role models. They teach you not to dwell on the bad things, but to focus on the positive and live your life, however short it is, to the fullest.
Teen, 15 years old Written byoceanbby January 31, 2015

For Mature Children

Really great movie. The only innapropriate parts are the swear words, and a sex scence (showing Hazels's bare back, and Gus's chest). Plus Issac grabs Monica's boob. Other than that, mature kids can handle this.
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2015

There is no fault in this movie

This is an amazing film. They swear about 3 times and there is a couple of sexual/ kissing scenes but nothing huge. The cancer theme is great because it teaches you about real life and to live it. It has great role models and metaphorical and philosophical things in - much like other John green novels. If you are wondering on letting your kid read the book watch this it's pretty much the same in terms of swearing/sex. I would say this is younger than the book but ONLY because the book is sadder way sadder and this. Plus upset you get kids although I love sobbing with books because it showed you like it and got involved- also people rating above 12 think about it this film was rated pg -13or a reason and I would like parents to think about that ( personally I think it should have been pg but you know what...
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2015

Disappointing

This movie was okay. I loved the novel it's based on, so I went to see the movie. It's okay. Shailene Woodley is a spectacular Hazel. But the film was a complete reproduction of the novel, quoting it frequently and precisely. And then the bed scene.... In the book, this is a brief scene where although they are in bed together, they still wear their undergarments. In the movie, Hazel takes her bra off. Why? Why do that? Also, Ansel Elgort is NOT a very good Gus.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySamantha_Prosser January 3, 2015

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is an amazing movie
Teen, 14 years old Written bymaggiedorrell December 29, 2014

It's good. But has...scenes that include some things that may be inappropriate

I think the movie was really good. It had role models,positive thoughts,but--OH-- language and sexual moments. There was making out, a short sex scene, and some language. The sex scene only showed the bareback of Hazel and the bare chest of Gus. During a moment where 2 teens make out, he grabs her boob. The language includes sh-t, one instance of f-ck, and -sshole. Over all the movie is really great, but may be offensive or inappropriate for some audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanu_directioner4eva December 21, 2014

Teen, 15 years old Written byFilmguy15 December 15, 2014

The fault in this movie

Here is everything bad in this movie. In the beginning there is a teen boy and a teen girl kissing and the boy grabs her breast in a "hot" moment. A teen girl kisses a teen boy on the cheek and they both say, "I love you" later. A woman wears slim jeans and high-heeled boots that accentuate the curves of her legs. A woman wears a short dress. Gus talks about how he's in a circle of virgins. Later there is a short sex scene. Gus and Hazel make-out a lot. There was good in this movie, it was very well made and had a good message. However could confuse a lot of children.
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2014

!!!????!!!

Ok, I am only 10 and I LOVED the movie. It has tons of romance, which is why I think it depends on a kids level of maturity. I watched alone, but I think there should be an adult at all times because there is some things that some kids would not understand what so ever. Thx
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2014

Emotional, Realistic, and Beautiful

What can I say about "The Fault In Our Stars"? It's amazing, but get ready to cry. Talking age, it depends on maturity and if your child is emotionally ready for what TFIOS has to offer. There is quite a bit of swearing, but not super extreme. There is a very brief sex scene in which you can only see Hazel's bare back and Gus' bare stomach, but other than that, it really isn't sexual. I'm only 10 and I saw it, plus my 8-year-old friend saw it, too, and she was perfectly mature with it. I would suggest it for any tween, teen, or young adult because it is a realistic, emotional, amazing love story.
Kid, 10 years old November 29, 2014

Language!

Wow! They love to cuss in this movie! Thematic elements are the strongest section i have to say. There is desth and cancer, and surgeries are shown.
Kid, 11 years old November 18, 2014

TFIOS!!

What a great movie! TFIOS is the best , I recommend this movie for mature 12 year old and up it just have a some iffy words and 1 sex scene but it was not really iffy you MUST watch it
Kid, 11 years old November 12, 2014

LOVED IT!!!

I'm 11 and I read this before I was that age. I have read/seen much worse than the occasional sex scene. In this movie, there is a brief sex scene, but it cuts out in time. They do drink champagne a few times, but the biggest concern is swearing. Overall, it is a sad movie because it revolves around 2 kids with cancer, but it is still a great book that I recommend to everyone!
Kid, 8 years old November 9, 2014

Very sad but amazing

There is one love scene and it has brief strong language. This film his very sad but it is amazing but don't see this movie intel your 8-9-10-11.
Kid, 11 years old November 3, 2014

OMG best book eva. This book is amazing, it is depressing at times but it is over all a really good book. It has a few cuss words and not really much violence. and in the book there is sex but, if u haven't had "the talk" yet u really couldn't tell.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThavs123 October 18, 2014

Amazing movie But you must be emotionally ready.

This movie is really good but you as the parent must know if your child is mature enough.Frequent s**t, a holes and one f##k which was very sudden.There is a few passionate kisses and one Sex scene for about 5 minutes.
Kid, 12 years old October 13, 2014

Amazing!!!

This is definitely my favourite movie, it's just so amazing. It's about two teens with cancer who fall in love. And it's so romantic and interesting. Hazel and Augustus are very positive role models towards kids because they teach you to never give up, and to stay strong! There are a few passionate make outs but it's not too bad. There is one sex scene, but it's not very graphic, and you can't really see anything. There is a bit of swearing, but not too much, and the swearing isn't used in a ''oh, I'm so cool, I'm gonna swear" kind of way. The whole subject is pretty mature in general but my parents are SUPER strict about movies (if they're not appropriate) and they let me watch this whole movie. Other than that, the movie is really touching and keeps you on the edge of your seat. In my opinion, it should be okay for 12 and up depending on how mature your child is. It's a great movie and I totally recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymohiudinasfand October 13, 2014

This movie was amazing,based on the book by John Green the book contains a** many times ,even descriptions of kissing, but nothing bad is shown in it 13 and up is fine saw it in wide screen lol , must watch for you Bye .
Kid, 11 years old October 12, 2014

Good but iffy

There was only one sex scene in which nothing was really shown except for a snuggle scene. There was one f word that Hazel yelled. Not to bad violence, nothing gory just a off screen death of a main character that will make audiences cry. Make sure your child can handle intense stuff. Not major language but often sh*t.
Teen, 14 years old Written byariel278 October 12, 2014

I love this movie!!!!

I obsess over this movie 24/7 and it is so well preformed!!!! One scene may be inappropriate for kids under 13 but nothing is shown. It is an amazing movie and it's a love story I'll never forget! It's a great message and great role models.