All member reviews for The Fox and the Child

Stunning story of friendship shows the magic of patience.

Parent of a 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byrahrah1 February 10, 2013

A HAUNTINGLY BEAUTIFUL FILM- but not for the very young or very sensitive.

We came across this film by accident. I thought it would be a short nature/feel good film- instead it had my children, and us,absolutely mesmerised!!. The cinematography is absolutely stunning and the story enchanting...It will stay in our minds for years. There is a lot of natural violence, which will be upsetting for kids raised on sanitised Disney films, but most of the film is utterly beautiful. The end may be a bit sad, if you want a 'happily ever after', but it makes sense and follows the progression of the film- it tells us we must respect natural boundaries ...too many children view animals as just pets or playthings or 'animations'. We all found this film uplifting and powerful and satisfying. ( ages 8, 10 and 21+?? haha!) It was also very educational- and my children have a renewed fascination with wildlife . There were a few annoying aspects- the narrative was a bit repetitive and could have been more poetic, and we couldn't see why the girl just had to wear the same clothes all the time!!!. A glimpse into her day-to-day life would have helped and given a sense of balance. Overall though, four of us agreed that this film was magical... If your child is sensitive, watch it first and decide.. but do let them see it, sometime....- even when they're 15! PS I don't think the Common Sense rating of age 6 is really appropriate- it's including some reviews that said age 3..but hated it! Age 8 is good- it all depends on the child though ....
Parent of a 6 year old Written byPairofeyesstari... February 16, 2011

Good themes, better for older viewers

warning - this review tells about the ending we were devasted by the ending and the way the message was portrayed - a little harsh for our 6 year old I think the message of over obsessive friendship couldve been shown with the fox escaping instead of dying in a visually bloody death.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byReeha December 30, 2014

Ending was so disappointing

Let me start by saying my family LOVED this movie! ... Until the last few minutes. I had read up on the movie to make sure the fox didn't die. I was prepared for the injury scene. But I wasn't prepared for my kids' reactions. I thought as long as it turned out that it was ok, they would be fine. So I didn't prepare them because I didn't want to act as a spoiler, or have them expecting something bad throughout the movie. But, as others have said (I wished I had read ALL of the reviews), the otherwise extremely well-done movie does not resolve the traumatic scene very well before ending rather abruptly. And I found myself telling my girls, age 8 and 13, over and over, that the fox did NOT die! There seemed to be a disconnect in them, and instead of being left with the beautiful overall experience of the movie, they were left with only the devastating images of that one scene. Surprisingly, it was my 13yr old that was most disturbed, and actually in tears when all was said and done. (She does not necessarily cry easily) She does not want to see the movie again and was actually upset with me. If I had it to do over, I would still watch this movie as a family. HOWEVER, I would pause it when the house scene at the end begins, and I would prepare them by telling them what was about to happen, and that the fox was going to be hurt, but would end up being ok, even though it didn't look like it. Then I would suggest that they were welcome to look away if they thought it would bother them. I think, with this interruption and emotional preparation, they probably would have been fine. Just a suggestion for those with fairly sensitive kiddos. As I've said, it was an otherwise beautiful movie. It would have been a 4 or 5 star, had this one scene been less graphic, and had it transitioned better to a satisfying ending. The cinematography was stunning, the little girl was adorable (why on earth does she wear the same outfit all year long, lol?), and the animals and nature was just mesmerizing.
Parent Written bynmheller November 17, 2013

Surprising scene at the end of a great movie, which was shocking

Great movie except close to the end when the fox leaps out of the window and we are shown the view from the window of the fox's body below. My seven year old screamed in horror and was reduced to tears and crying through the remainder of the movie. The movie never properly resolved this to my satisfaction. It would provide a talking point about wild animals feeling caged, understanding the need for freedom and keeping wild animals as pets but there was no way we could have discussed anything afterwards...my daughter was too upset.
Educator and Parent Written byglocalized December 1, 2012

Beautiful film w/ a most unfortunate & unnecessary climax

I agree with leaperville and Fun Mommy. This is an exquisitely filmed and directed picture. Wonderful to see live action footage of young child immersed in nature. HOWEVER -- you really need to be careful to whom and when you show this film. SPOILER - The fox unexpectedly crashing through a 2nd story window and leaping to its (apparent) imminent death is out of step with the rest of the film and felt largely gratuitous to me. My son is a sensitive soul and he wept and wept after the film on the way to bed. I had to look him in the eye intensely and remind him that the fox made it - somehow (one of several moments of poetic licence). Would I recommend watching it? Yes, still very much worth it. But be warned and show to appropriate audiences, at appropriate times.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 10 year old Written byFunMommy October 11, 2009

My kids went to bed crying

The nature scenes are pretty but my kids 5, 7, 10 years were in tears at the end. The end is too abrupt and sad with no attempt to ease the transition for the child audience that it's obviously intended for. Don't show it at night; your kids will go to bed crying.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byFamily Movie Night February 1, 2013

...and you thought Bambi could scare children!

The main character displays some behaviors that are defiant of her parents' authority and knowingly deceives them. She encounters a bear in the woods, and when she escapes unharmed says she will never tell her parents. She also plays in an unsafe area in which she knows she is forbidden to be. The fox she befriends jumps out a second floor window to its apparent death. She carries the bloodied, lifeless fox into the woods. Granted, the fox then awakens and survives with some bloody wounds, but this scene sent our eight year old daughter out of the room in tears.
Teen, 16 years old Written byvortexz June 17, 2012

definitly for kids

i loved this movie the animal interaction is really great there is some animal abuse and a fox jumps out of a window,breaking the glass and off the 2nd floor there is visible blood on the fox's neck but nobody dies
Teen, 13 years old Written byPuppyluv13 November 4, 2009

Excellent Family film but have a box of tissues with you

This was an excellent movie! A wonderful family film for all ages but the ending is pretty sad and very abrubt, Bottom line: Don't be surprised if your young movie viewer is in tears, the fox doesn't die but it's clear that the girl in the movie will never see the fox again and that's explained in a pretty sad way so I would say that it's age appopriate for kids ages kids ages 8+ and then again only for kids who aren't easily upset by stuff like this.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byleaperville October 9, 2010

violence and a disheartening message

Contains very violent scene inappropriate for young children. A young girl tries to engage the natural world but ultimately endangers herself and the animals and landscape she cares about. Beautiful scenery, but very disappointing, disheartening message for a film directly towards children.
Kid, 11 years old August 16, 2010

BAD!

This is probably one of the worst movies I'v seen!
Kid, 8 years old June 12, 2010
the one girl who discovered life in the forest must defend the forest from Mr. bear and hunters who are trying to destroy the kingdom
Parent of a 1, 3, 5, and 13 year old Written bydpaez March 31, 2010

A wonderful movie with a few fast forward scenes

There are a few spots in the movie that I fast forward (the part where she gets lost in the cave and sleeps outside, and the part where the wolves surround the fox) but I feel like this movie is amazing. I wish it didn't have a narrator. It would have been great just observing all of this. I think the girl in the movie is a great role model as she is in nature and I love that it is not animated!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byRStan August 1, 2009

Loved the movie!!

From Kaela, 6 years old: I thought it was really really good. Very good actor. The baby foxes were so cute. I loved that girl! She was a really good actress. From Skye, 4 years old: I loved the baby foxes.