All member reviews for The Fox and the Hound

Heartwarming tale of friendship, but expect some peril.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byMarvin Martian May 14, 2011
Ausome film, with a great imagination. However blood is shown, with gun violence, and attack. Very sad scene in the middle
Adult Written bydragoonlover April 9, 2008

Good

Even if this might seem a dumb kids movie, I, 11 years old have enjoyed it. It can get emotional, but it is a good movie about making choices, with a kid appropriate amount of animal violence to spice it up. 5 of 5, any age.
Parent Written bywuuf September 19, 2015

parent loss and violence

1) mother killed in opening minutes 2) a lot of chasing/shooting gun violence @ fox and human guardian 3) steel hunting traps 4) aggressive scene where hunter uses fire to smoke out fox 5) abandonment, human guardian drops confused fox into woods to fend for self 6) very scary bear attack There are a number of scenes in this movie that border on terrifying for your child if they are not prepared. I not quite sure how to age rate this film. If they are acclimated to the kind violence that is portrayed here then they should really enjoy the themes of friendship and beautifully drawn animations and backgrounds. However if they are not, the potential number of scary scenes can be overwhelming. At least it was for our 5 year old. Definitely give this one a watch before showing to your kids.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Bravo!!

This is my favorite movie of all time. I have been deeply moved by this movie from the time I first saw it as a 6 year-old. This movie teaches of the power of friendship, and how good friends will protect each other and always stick together. I cry every time I see the scene where the old widow abandones Tod...that poem, her expression... oh it just makes me so sad! And the way that Copper stands in front of Tod at the end to keep him from getting shot is just so sweet... I am deeply touched by this beautiful film, and I would recommend this movie to anybody. SHAME on people who give this movie a bad review. This and the Lion King are the best Disney movies ever made.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

one of the best 80s Disney movies.

I first watched this in kindergarten and loved it then I watched it in the 7th grade recently and loved it again. 3 year olds may feel sad about tods mom dieing though and they may get a little scared at the end when Tod and copper fight as well as the scenes with the giant bear. Also another warning parents is when Tod meets the lady fox the owl big mama sings a song to make them fall in love with each other. But that's not the bad part yet they start to have sex and vixey rubs up against him and Tod does the same. It is done in a cute and romantic way though and it will fly over little kid's heads. Also after that scene they see a mother with her baby ducks and vixey sees that she has 7 and she says I think six would be just fine. But other than those scenes this is a heartwarming film for 3+
Adult Written bynduns November 2, 2014

Still a good film, but a few minor bits of wasted potential prevent it from being great

Like with Bambi, this is one of those Disney films that almost has too many cute moments and spends a long time getting to the dark and gritty content, but that I don't have a problem with. This is clearly meant to be one of Disney's more realistic animated films, and I think that's great. I love the relationship between Copper and Tod and how you can see just how the two have their falling out. However, where Bambi succeeded was that when it got to the dark, gritty stuff, it really showed you how harsh life could be. It lets you know how fatal a gunshot can be and how dangerous the life of an animal is. This film, on the other hand, has Copper turn against Tod for good when Tod accidentally leads the dog's mentor, Hunter, into a moving train thus getting him injured. The odds of anyone surviving something like that is slim and yet Hunter continues to live with nothing more than a broken leg. Honestly, with the way Copper reacted to this, I feel like it would have been much more powerful if Hunter had died instead of just being injured. Heck, in a later scene, you see him trying to take advantage of his injury and enjoying this new life of luxury he leads. Cop-out aside, this is still a good film that blends cuteness with the harshness of reality and gives us a very nice friendship between opposite sides that really works.
Kid, 12 years old August 31, 2013

A magical disney masterpiece of a movie !!!!!!!

This Is a 5 star classic !!!!!! Who could not like this movie
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byLynn3050 January 9, 2010

Scary for younger kids

While this movie does have some redeeming messages about friendship, it was very scary for my 3 & 5 year olds. It had too many scenes with chasing and guns. While I knew going into it that it had a hunter in it, I didn't realize just how often he would be chasing the fox and shooting after him.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLovepink123 June 8, 2013

Great movie five stars

His mama gets killed and he is left abanded Great movie but some kids might be sensitive to it
Parent of a 3 year old Written byplc711 March 9, 2011

Too scary for younger viewers - lots of guns and animal fights

A cute movie with some really loveable characters. However, it's pretty scary from a toddler's perspective. The fox is constantly being shot at the, the fox's mother is killed during the opening credits, there is a fire started to smoke out the foxes, use of metal animal traps, and many animal pelts showcased as the hunter's bounty. Not to mention a terrifying fight with a massive, red eyed bear at the end. As far as young ones go, this may be one of the more upsetting Disney movies. Some high points were the personalities showcased - the old lady who adopts the fox is wonderful, as is Mama owl and the two silly birds that spend the movie trying to get a little worm (who eventually turns into a beautiful butterfly).
Adult Written bybunnyjo April 9, 2008

Not for sensitive kids

This movie came out after I stopped watching Disney movies so I had never seen it. It's an ok movie plot-wise except for three scenes. I didn't like the bear attack scene in the end although my 5 year old son was howling with excitement. He did not want to watch the scene where Amos is setting bear traps in the woods - we skipped that section. The main section that made him cry out loud and stop the movie until we talked about it was when Copper yells at Tod and says he will never forgive him, will never be friends and will "get him for this". It really upset my empathatic little fella. So maybe wait until they are older til you watch if you have a sensitive child.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Educator and Parent of a 4 year old Written bycrkohring January 24, 2015

Sad movie

My 4-year-old doesn't get scared easily but the part where the lady leaves the Fox in the forest made her cry and it broke my heart. It helped a little when I tried to explain what was going on. In hindsight I would've waited a few more years before letting her watch this movie.
Kid, 11 years old April 12, 2013

FANTASTIC MOVIE BUT Quite emotional

Very good movie but cried when the fox was separated by the owner Overall i think you should watch it Some young kids should be aware that their is some violance with the bear And the gun so it really dapends on the child
Teen, 16 years old Written byJoseph Brian January 23, 2013

Not for kids under 6 or 7, but just right for kids older than that!

Although I don't exactly like (nor hate) this movie, I think this film has trouble deciding whether it's for younger or older children because it deals with some stronger themes (romance, friendship and difference) than you'd normally find in a G-rated film, but there's also the fact that it's a Disney movie. However, I agree with those who think this film teaches children friendship and that being different is not terrible. Unfortunately, the film has a lot of frightening images and violence, like Tod and Copper fighting before they are attacked by the giant bear, which are uncharacteristically dark for a G-rated movie. If you have kids, wait until they're about 6 or 7 years old before they can see it.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Best movie of ALL TIME, that is 100% fact!

It's just as another kid reviewer said. THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER! I will never understand what's with people about it. Even though us kids on this site say 5 stars, and the adults 4 stars, I still wish OTHER sites felt the same way. Like, on IMDB it's rated as...a 7.1/10? And it gets worse; the total percent of positive opinions at Rotten Tomatoes was...69?! What is wrong with you guys?! Bottom line, if you can only see one movie in your life, and you never have, make it The Fox and the Hound! 5000/5
Parent Written byLittleBearsMom December 25, 2012

The Fox and The Hound movie creates a hope for the future.

There is a very accurate portrait of the present attitude toward the wildlife. It's harder and harder to protect what we love to be wild and free. But the movie is offering hope that kids who like it will grow to love and protect the environment.
Parent Written byreednem March 31, 2012

Good movie, scared the little ones

Good movie with themes on friendship and redemption. Even my 9 year old shed tears at end. 4-7 year olds scared of bear scene. Is overly ferocious and may give nightmares
Parent of a 5, 5, 11, and 15 year old Written bygoodman April 6, 2011

A good story

Its a good movie ppl may say its a baby move but its not it HAS A GROWN UP idea 2 kids(copper and todd) that are friends have to be separate because of tradition. MY 11 love it she say that it had i lot of friendship BUT a sad ending. MY 5 yaer old said there were to many guns and the bad guy broke lots of rules.