Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Frighteners

Violent, frenzied, foul-mouthed ghost comedy.

Adult Written byMaverik October 14, 2018

Movie should be PG-13

Looking to step up our Halloween movie night i thought Frighteners would be a perfect movie but was surprised to see it had a r rating. I watched it originally when it was first released and couldnt think of any reason for the rating. At any rate, it made My 9 and 11 year olds even more excited to watch a scary “r” rated movie. Having seen all the Harry Potters, Matrix, Lord of the Rings and Avatar. This movie wasn’t any more violent, dark or scary as those so, thought theyd be fine and they where. The scene where the person gets their head blown off isn’t realistic. Its dated CGI where the head turns into a blob of blood my kids described as cheesy. If your kids are easy scared and not use to movie violence, this may be too intense. However, i wouldn’t consider this an r rated movie.

Adult Written byaaronh0722 June 28, 2012

Common Sense? Must've left it behind when you reviewed this one. Description is way off.

I didn't think I'd need to write a review of this movie, but just happened to look up what common sense thought about it after watching it again with the wife who'd never seen it. This review is TERRIBLE. There are no "major" plot holes as the description above suggests. The "like the heroine recognizing a clue that she couldn't possibly have seen (known to the viewer only via flashback)" is completely incorrect. If the reviewer actually watched the movie (and paid attention/understood the movie), they would realize that she recognized the "clue" from the FBI agent's monologue about Bannister's crash. No plot hole there, sorry. As for any others, I've watched the films COUNTLESS times and am pretty good at seeing plot holes. Sorry, I can't seem to think of any. At any rate, this is an adult film, and possibly one of MJ Fox's best (aside from the obvious). I really love this film, and I don't like horror flicks. It's more gun violence than anything, and the storyline is great as well. Seriously, maybe I should start reviewing films for you guys, you're WAY off on this one. Great movie.

Adult Written by@@@ December 16, 2011

A disaster

Idiotic. Jackson has no skill as a screenwriter and should stick with directing. Even that is lacking in this odd-scripted, badly acted trash. It really is amazing to think Jackson started off so badly. It isn't scary, and although better than the disastrous "Bad Taste," it still fails to deliver laughs. Overall, a terrible film that can neither be classed as a horror or a comedy.