Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Good Dinosaur

Young dino braves nature in lovely but intense adventure.

Parent Written byphilmiler November 25, 2015

Unbelievably SAD and gloomy. Terrible for small kids.

Children were crying and leaving the theater. My little one asked me to never see it again. The movie's message is beatiful but it's not for young kids at all.
Adult Written bypprl November 28, 2015

terrible movie for kids

Ugh. This is a terrible movie for kids. I forgot that Disney cannot manage to tell an interesting story without killing off a loved one. The father doesn't even die for a good reason. He dies pushing his son to be brave by foolishly going out into the wilderness in a storm. The filmmakers then cruelly bring him back in a dream sequence only to have him dissipate. My 6-year-old said "Well at least someone didn't die, " and then "Nope, I was wrong." There's lots of violence throughout the movie with various injuries, animals getting attacked and eaten, and near-drownings. My 5-year-old announced "This whole movie is terrifying." She was right!

Adult Written bypekoorb November 26, 2015

Emotional rollercoater

I agree with all of the reviews about the amazing animation. It was stunning. However, we were hoping for a fun, light-hearted movie for kids ranging from 2 - 10 years old. Instead, it was much more about overcoming fear and was hugely emotional and intense (death, bullying, separation from family, being attacked). My husband's sleeve was soaked from my 10 year old's tears, the 2 year old was terrified, and I could hear the 5 and 8 year old crying throughout the movie. If you want silly and fun, this is probably not what you are looking for. I appreciated the message of recognizing fear and still being brave in spite of it. However, it felt really heavy for a PG movie made for kids.
Adult Written bysbarr04 November 28, 2015

Are You Kidding Me?

We brought a group of children aging from almost 3 to 6 into this sorry excuse for a children's movie. Less than an hour later, we walked out. The short movie that was shown before The Good Dinosaur should have clued us in to the horrible experience we were about to have (the short was so bad I checked our tickets to make sure we were in the correct theater). Less than a half hour into the movie I had two children in my lap scared senseless. Two of our children in our group were crying. When the main character was hallucinating from the fermented fruit, we decided to collect our belongings and head for the exit. What was Disney thinking? I will no longer trust Disney and blindly take my children to their movie without closely checking the movie plot first. Is there a hotline to request a refund for these tickets?
Adult Written by[email protected] December 23, 2015

Outstanding.

This film was great. Probably the most underrated movie of the year. I never cared much about animated movies but after seeing this one by chance i was blown away. The visuals were stunning and captured the American west like no other film i can remember. Every inch of the landscape is rendered to absolute perfection. The characters, while cartoony, were also rendered nicely. Their facial expressions, combined with a gorgeous score and environment, are what told this story. The story line is familiar, but fresh (think Lion King meets Homeward Bound). There are alot of good lessons to be learned for younger viewers... the importance of family, friendship and 'making your mark' in life. Overcoming your fears was a huge theme in the film.. There was one scene in particular that had very little dialogue but was perhaps the most beautiful piece of cinema ive seen all year. Im not an emotional person by any stretch, but it nearly had me bawling. There's alot of negative reviews saying this film was "too serious" or too "scary" for kids... Those reviews are more a reflection of a generation of over-protective parents who want their kids to grow up in a bubble than they are a reflection of the quality of this film. It is rated PG, and as such, there are some scenes that might be intense for kids under 7, but to be honest, most kids under 7 wont appreciate the best parts of movie anyways. Rest assured, there's nothing in this movie that wasn't in Bambi or Land Before Time. Not every movie is supposed to be silly. A good film invokes every emotion... which this one does brilliantly. Just because it made people cry, shouldn't make it a bad film. . If your kids find animals preying on other animals too offensive, then at worst it provides a good opportunity for mom or dad to talk about what happens in nature... In fact the film provides a great opportunity to create discussion on lots of topics... death, family, nature, friendship...that sometimes its good to cry... though based on other reviews it seems like parents now would rather never talk to their kids about those things at all and just hope they never have to deal with it... Id rather my kids watch this and take some meaning from it, then some dumbed down movie about talking cars or a Michael Bay explosion fest.

Adult Written byDudeDad November 28, 2015

My Child Left the Theater Sobbing

I would NOT recommend this movie for younger children. Based on my child's reaction, I don't feel I can continue to trust Pixar / Disney. This movie is promoted with images of a cuddly dinosaur prancing among fireflies. Once lured in, viewers are ambushed with repeated scenes involving parental death and others depicting such "feel good" moments as a cute critter being violently devoured whole and, to top things off, the permanent separation of close friends. I was already sick of all the parental death in so-called children's movies, but this film takes that inappropriate, hackneyed trope to a whole new level. The movie is not bitter-sweet. Rather, it fixates on the tragic. It seems to almost revel in it. I didn't appreciate that. More importantly, neither did my 6-year-old (3 months shy of 7). You may want to think twice before taking younger kids to see this movie!
Adult Written byFormandh November 27, 2015

Too mature for young kids

Very scary scenes, intense emotionally situations. Took my 4 1/2 yo on black Friday and it was a decision I regret. Way too mature and I offered her leaving twice as she shivered next to me, but she didn't want to go. I feel like I was duped by the cute trailer, and didn't expect it to be what it was. I also warned a friend about the father dying as she just lost her husband and has a young son.

Parent of a 15 and 18+ year old Written bykottesen November 24, 2015

Too scary for preschoolers and sensitive kids!

My teenage son and I went to see this movie tonight. The preschooler and her mother sitting next to me left 30 minutes into this movie. The little girl was scared and couldn't stop crying. I heard other crying in the theater, as well, so, yeah, it's scary. It is also a great movie and one with a real boo-hoo crybaby ending (at least for me).

Adult Written byAustin Mom November 28, 2015

Nothing to recommend about this one

We took my 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son to see it. The movie is very sad, and my 9 year old daughter cried at 3 different points in the movie. The movie has a lot of violence and some cruelty. The main characters are continuously faced with threatening situations throughout the whole movie. It had very few funny parts, and it just wasn't that interesting. Usually when we leave movies, my children chatter happily about the movie for a while after we leave. This time, my son had no comment at all on the movie, and my daughter talked about how it made her sad. Wish I could re-wind the clock and not see this one.

Adult Written byLeese0891 November 29, 2015

Great family movie

Just saw this movie with my kids ages 6, 4 and 2. They loved it! Lots of action, which kept the two-year old interested the entire time. There were some scary scenes but the movie ended on a positive note and the kids were all smiling as we left the theater.
Adult Written byamyg12 November 25, 2015

Not Something You'd Think Pixar Made

It was a waste of time. The kid acted like a dog . It was very very disappointing . So don't bother taking your kids to the movie . It wasn't very good at all . There was way too many enemies. Don't waste your money on the movie.
Adult Written bykearny_mom November 28, 2015

Not for little kids

The movie was ok. Definitely not for young kids. I wish I waited until the movie was out a bit longer and waited for the reviews. It was very disturbing to hear the little ones cry and then the parents made them stay to watch the rest. Good animation, but too scary and too sad. The previews are very misleading. My six year olds were not impressed, in fact very disappointed.
Adult Written byjustamom1 November 30, 2015

Snapshot of true, everyday life; 65 million years ago and today.

“The Good Dinosaur” is a snapshot of true, everyday life; 65 million years ago and today. It demonstrates the good (life, love, hope, family, friendship and honesty) and the bad (death, hate, despair, evil and deceit) faced then and now. I took my 6 year old son to see it and we both laughed and cried. He was not frightened by any particular scene. If anything during the “dark moments” of the film, he cheered on for Arlo and Spot. And what I loved most about the film was that the story and its characters displayed great examples of tenacity, keeping one’s word and love. All in all, this is a family movie that we thoroughly enjoyed.

Parent Written byKevin68 November 25, 2015

Good but Scary

Before the movie they played a short that was extremely scary. Both my kids, 11 and 8, looked away and my boy even blocked his ears. Personally I liked the message but clearly it was not make with the younger demographic in mind. The movie itself was enjoyable but again scary for kids (not as scary as the short). It had the usual Disney - kill a parent - but the quality and message about personal growth through experiences, compassion and handling fear was great. My kids did enjoy the movie.

Adult Written byShannonvc November 27, 2015

beautiful animation, many intense scenes

i would describe my daughter as a sensitive 8 year old viewer and keeping that in mind the short at the beginning of the film was very scary. Despite its over all positive message (that I am sure most kids would not quite understand) there was a scary guy that took up the entire movie screen - so be aware of that. As for the movie, beautifully done, nice message of perseverance and friendship. As with any tale of a child losing a parent, getting lost in a remote area and having to find the way home - definitely some intense and scary parts, my kiddo just turned her head away - about four times. She really enjoyed the character of "spot" the human critter that is very much like a dog in his mannerisms. Other than the somewhat scary parts, very family friendly and enjoyable.

Adult Written byqposeyfares November 28, 2015

Great Animation - Scary Storyline

If you want to cringe, gasp, and cry, this is the movie for you. It has a slow plot mixed in with scary, dramatic events. I can understand that during that time period life wasn't Disney cute, but given the marketing towards kids it could have been handled with more tact. My 5 year old kept asking to leave so we took her out. My 9 year old skirmed but wanted to stay. Still, he didn’t understand most of the story.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byJWilliams303 November 25, 2015

Amazing Movie For Both Kids And Parents

Pixar does it again; they make a movie that can make you feel emotional, make you laugh, and make you interested in the story and the characters themselves! I didn't know what to make of this movie before seeing it but seeing it from start to finish, I ended up enjoying the whole movie! There are jokes for both kids and also for adults, maybe some adult jokes that might be hard to explain to kids in some scenes (aka when spot the human and Arlo eat poison fruit and start hallucinating). There is also a great message in this movie revolved around Arlo; it's ok to be afraid, but don't let your fear conquer you in the end, you have to learn to face them even when you are afraid. The movie does have some very emotional scenes that revolve around the two main characters of the film (Arlo and Spot) that may be scary at times or too sad for kids to see or maybe even understand. Overall a well done movie with amazing animation, amazing story, a powerful message, loving characters, and a movie that, in general, kids and parents will enjoy!

Parent of a 7 year old Written bycarobear December 14, 2015

Went to see despite negative reviews (contains SPOILERS)

I almost didn't take my son to see this movie based on the horrifying reviews by other parents on this website. Thankfully, we did go see it and loved it. Is it for younger kids (under age 6)? Probably not, but as with anything else, you know your child best. I would say it's similar to both the Lion King and How to Train Your Dragon 2 in both parental death and (somewhat) violence. I don't understand why these animated movies seem to always kill off a parent, but other than that I thought The Good Dinosaur was very enjoyable, and my 7 year old loved it. There are some parts (mentioned in many of the other reviews) you should be aware of, especially if you have a younger or sensitive child. None of them were an issue for us, and none of them were nearly as bad as I felt many people made them out to be. Overall, this was a wonderful movie with a great message about friendship and facing your fears. Highly recommend!

Adult Written bylifeisgood2 December 17, 2015
I took my 5 & 7 year old to watch this movie, and they both loved it. While there were some sad moments, its a beautiful story. My girls have watched (and love) movies like The Lion King and Land Before Time (which also involve death, fighting, and overcoming obstacles), so in my opinion if your children are good watching those movies, they will enjoy this film!

Adult Written byMCmom January 1, 2016

This movie was terrifying

So.... We normally carefully check out reviews, but went to this film impulsively without properly researching it. It seems that the writers of this little ditty got together and brainstormed about what the 10 top fears of children are and found a way to force them all into a 90 min film. We were seduced by the images of fireflies and a big gentle dinosaur. Little did we know that this would make up less than 1% of the film. The vast majority involved terrifying scenes ranging from the death of a parent, animals being ripped apart by predators, natural disasters and falls from high places. For extra fun they through in an attack by a freaking viper and some scenes with leeches and various bugs. The short that precedes the film was equally terrifying... it just had the advantage of being over in a few minutes. Both of my children ages 6 &8 screamed and cried during the film. The 6 year old had to leave before it was over and we regret letting the 8 year old stay. Not at all the fun family outing we were looking for and now we have children who were too afraid to sleep in their own beds. Thanks Pixar.