Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Good Dinosaur

Young dino braves nature in lovely but intense adventure.

Adult Written byCara K. September 28, 2018

Sad but well worth it

I had heard this movie was really sad, and well, it is. But my 5 year old handled it well. It is one of the better movies I've seen in a long time. It has many funny parts, is adventurous and keeps you entertained. I, my 10 year old, 7 and 5 year old all enjoyed it very much.
Adult Written byBig E September 13, 2018

Too Scary, Too Sad, and Too Confusing

So a lot of it is sad and scary and in my opinion those parts are so numerous it doesn't balance out the cute, funny, heartwarming parts. You and your kid will probably just feel pretty bummed out in the end. My main problem is when the Arlo gets knocked out and thinks he's following his dad, but His dad won't speak to him no matter how hard he begs. Kids don't get what's happening and the scene goes on way way to long. And kids don't get the drug sequence hallucinations either. Things just get super weird and creepy and you're stuck explaining things you shouldn't have to.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bySandy W. August 4, 2018

Lessons

My Granddaughter has loved The good dinosaur movie before she could even walk, she will be 3 years old in October and still loves this movie, we watch it at least twice a day, she laughs, she cries, she learns. I can tell you there is 5 adults in this house and not one of us are tired of watching the Good dinosaur, I kinda wish papa would have not died. Still hope there is a part 2.

Adult Written byBooghasabearcub June 23, 2018

Seeing in theaters could be overwhelming for some

I write this to you fellow families as that one friend we all have and know that cries at almost any movie or show. And let me tell you, this did NOT disappoint. The good dinosaur has plenty of sob worthy scenes that can be overwhelmingly sad. The father dies in a flash flood whilst arlo trembles, seeing his father swept away before his very eyes. Spots family has passed leaving him all alone, and before arlo is swept away, we see his mother collapse from exhaustion, having to carry a heavy burden without her dino hubby to help gather food before the winter comes. But there is also alot of beauty to this film. Its really all about overcoming fears, that life is pretty darn unfair, but we have to overcome our challenges. Obviously I'm late seeing this film ( came out over 3 yrs ago ) but if you're a sensitive adult or think it might be to much for your child, I HIGHLY recommend watching this film in the late morning. Lights on, dont have the volume at full blast. That way if your child is unsettled, it can be quickly turned off with enough daylight to hopefully chase it from the mind some.

Adult Written byPeter S. May 21, 2018

Another incredible triumph from Disney and Pixar!

Golden Globe Award Winner for Best Animated Film, The Good Dinosaur is an awesome family film that teaches younger viewers about confronting your fears and discovering what you are truly capable of. An absolute must watch!

Adult Written byMillie S. April 17, 2018

Overall Good Movie BUT.... a few disturbing scenes for young kids.

Overall this movie was good. Some things that were slightly bothersome is the boy acts like a complete wild animal (he doesn't speak). Another scene is where the character Thunder Clap (Pterodactyl) is initially portrayed to be searching for survivors in order to "help" them, but then when he finds one, he gobbles him up. I have seen horror movies and lots of kids movies with violent scenes, but somehow this scene was a little more disturbing for some psychological reason (by design). Graphic discussions between dino's telling their stories. The other disturbing scene was when some of the characters ate some rotten fruit and they hallucinate, BUT instead of just showing them hallucinating they do it in first person so the image on the screen is distorted to the viewers point of view. Great message: It encourages hard work and perseverance, courage.

Adult Written byLarlina H. March 15, 2018

Saddest movie on the planet

This movie is very sad. It gave me nightmares for days. When the dad died I cried for the rest of the movie. You should probably wait to watch this movie with small children or don't watch it at all.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byNaWerries October 7, 2017

Positive messages to instil in our young ones

A beautiful and thought provoking movie which opens up a dialogue for you and your children.. Sit and watch this with your kids, explain some of the scenes, get them thinking. It teaches some valuable early lessons on being empathetic towards others, not judging a book by its cover, true friendship and family. This movie offers a nice change from a lot of mindless, crass movies out there. It pulls at heart strings and delivers on positive messages. My kids loved this movie and although they didn't understand some parts, it was the perfect gateway to discuss important life lessons.

Adult Written byLaura W. July 13, 2017

Sad, violent and traumatizing to some

Can we discuss the eating of the tiny, cute, trembling little fox creature? Ugh! Nope.

Parent Written byGissela E. March 22, 2017

It's a beautiful story. Sad but beautiful.

My son loves this movie. He just absolutely loves it so much. The movie is beautiful and while it has its sad moments it's still great. After all what movie doesn't have sad moments. The parents who reviewed (and a lot nowadays) are just too damn sensitive thus making their children so sensitive. I'm glad to know that my son actually has good taste in movies and not just "fun and silly" movies with no plot line or sense to it. Children won't always live in a bubble of safety and this movie is actually great with that message. Overcoming fear. Because just like Ned Stark said "the only time you can be brave is when you're scared"

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byKasper N. January 21, 2017

Too much and too little

[SPOILERS INCLUDED] I actually expected this movie to be quite good and was therefor disappointed by it on several levels. The initial scene where the 'kid' loses his father, could've just as easily been cut 2 seconds earlier. Add in the later flashbacks and you suddenly need an audience a few years older, than the cartoonish appperance of the dinosaurs suggests. All told this is a western movie in you'd expect John Wayne would've starred in had he been alive. I feel it was overdone and left me feeling slightly nauseous :(
Adult Written byCastielFan December 1, 2016

Bit Emotional

I Didn't see it in the cinema with school liked the teachers promised but watched it at home as a family bit emotional and some scary scenes but made me teared eyed at the end
Parent Written byJustine W October 30, 2016

Disappointing and depressing

Very depressing movie. Definitely went in expecting a heartwarming Pixar film..And what we got was a somewhat dark movie with a strange storyline and unlikeable main character.. I will say that the animation is beautiful, at least.
Adult Written byEthan M. October 14, 2016

Fantastic Movie for all ages!

The Good Dinosaur is a G rated movie from the action all the way to the friendship between the two main characters, but it is an entertaining and heartwarming movie. This movie is meant for children but there is no reason for anyone not to enjoy this movie; the plot is simple and juvenile but in a good way. It starts with Arlo, a young dinosaur, being carried away from his home by a river, and along his frantically eventful journey home, he is saved by a human child, and they become best friends and go on their amazing journey home together. What makes this a fantastic movie is its simplicity. The viewer never gets lost or has to guess what just happened, and they never want to stop watching the movie. It doesn’t waste any time either; it just rolls along with the story and never stops pulling the viewer in. Most viewers say that they could watch The Good Dinosaur over and over again, and that it even has a little suspense and put them on the edge of their seats. Anyone who watches this movie will fall in love with the beautiful and colorful animation, that Disney has put into it. The length of this movie adds to the quality of it, because it does not drag on or have scenes in it that waste the viewers time, and the fact that it is short means that it does not take very much time out of the viewers’ day to watch this masterpiece. Another great thing about this movie has to be that it is family friendly and fun for everyone, any age, to watch. The absolute best thing about this movie has to be the fact that it has a sad but happy ending, because all good movies need to play with your emotions.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bynatasha p October 13, 2016

bit over emotional

my 5 and 8 year old both cried their eyes out after , as the seperation between characters was too much.
Adult Written byCat L. August 20, 2016

Terrible

This movie has absolutely gorgeous graphics, it almost looks real. However, the movie itself is terrible. It's inappropriate for kids, they have one scene where the dinosaur and the caveman kid get high off this fruit used to make alcohol. Not only that but the dinosaur also said a word that was fairly close to flip the bird. This movie could've had success but I do not believe this is appropriate for kids. I would not recommend this movie for children, there are tons of better movies out there for kids.
Adult Written byJames M. July 28, 2016

Great movie

My 5 and 3 year old LOVE this movie and were never scared. Yes, there is a dramatic death-it's disney. I'm assuming everyone's children are scared of Bambi and Lion King as well. Also, it's rated PG and not G for a reason. And it has a HAPPY ending to it.
Parent Written byTubaMamma July 25, 2016

Horrifying and traumatic - avoid at all costs.

Cute idea. A few scenes stuck with me but the unrealistic survival of only the main character and his pet despite the dad's death in a less threatening situation irks me. My tough as nails 9 year old walked out and I should have followed her example. My 11 year old and I toughed it out and I was beyond glad that my 6 and 3 year olds weren't with us that day we went to the dollar theater. Why the family can't accept the main character as he is in the first place is bad enough but that he somehow survive the extreme and multiple life threatening situations is past the suspension of disbelief.

Parent Written byRina2 July 5, 2016

Not good for kids.

My youngest kids hated it. It made them cry and one had nightmares from it. Even my 14 year old found it disturbing!

Adult Written byskylort June 24, 2016

Read this

If you are in the mood for a good cry then watch this movie. Never has a Pixar film made me cry this hard in a long time. A great movie for the kids and in fact just good for all ages. For kids there is a sense of family and adventure which is good. Then for anyone else prepare yourself for a lot of deep meaning and hitting you in the feelings.