Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Good Dinosaur

Young dino braves nature in lovely but intense adventure.

Parent Written byphilmiler November 25, 2015

Unbelievably SAD and gloomy. Terrible for small kids.

Children were crying and leaving the theater. My little one asked me to never see it again. The movie's message is beatiful but it's not for young kids at all.
Adult Written bysbarr04 November 28, 2015

Are You Kidding Me?

We brought a group of children aging from almost 3 to 6 into this sorry excuse for a children's movie. Less than an hour later, we walked out. The short movie that was shown before The Good Dinosaur should have clued us in to the horrible experience we were about to have (the short was so bad I checked our tickets to make sure we were in the correct theater). Less than a half hour into the movie I had two children in my lap scared senseless. Two of our children in our group were crying. When the main character was hallucinating from the fermented fruit, we decided to collect our belongings and head for the exit. What was Disney thinking? I will no longer trust Disney and blindly take my children to their movie without closely checking the movie plot first. Is there a hotline to request a refund for these tickets?
Adult Written byFormandh November 27, 2015

Too mature for young kids

Very scary scenes, intense emotionally situations. Took my 4 1/2 yo on black Friday and it was a decision I regret. Way too mature and I offered her leaving twice as she shivered next to me, but she didn't want to go. I feel like I was duped by the cute trailer, and didn't expect it to be what it was. I also warned a friend about the father dying as she just lost her husband and has a young son.

Adult Written byDudeDad November 28, 2015

My Child Left the Theater Sobbing

I would NOT recommend this movie for younger children. Based on my child's reaction, I don't feel I can continue to trust Pixar / Disney. This movie is promoted with images of a cuddly dinosaur prancing among fireflies. Once lured in, viewers are ambushed with repeated scenes involving parental death and others depicting such "feel good" moments as a cute critter being violently devoured whole and, to top things off, the permanent separation of close friends. I was already sick of all the parental death in so-called children's movies, but this film takes that inappropriate, hackneyed trope to a whole new level. The movie is not bitter-sweet. Rather, it fixates on the tragic. It seems to almost revel in it. I didn't appreciate that. More importantly, neither did my 6-year-old (3 months shy of 7). You may want to think twice before taking younger kids to see this movie!
Adult Written by[email protected] December 23, 2015

Outstanding.

This film was great. Probably the most underrated movie of the year. I never cared much about animated movies but after seeing this one by chance i was blown away. The visuals were stunning and captured the American west like no other film i can remember. Every inch of the landscape is rendered to absolute perfection. The characters, while cartoony, were also rendered nicely. Their facial expressions, combined with a gorgeous score and environment, are what told this story. The story line is familiar, but fresh (think Lion King meets Homeward Bound). There are alot of good lessons to be learned for younger viewers... the importance of family, friendship and 'making your mark' in life. Overcoming your fears was a huge theme in the film.. There was one scene in particular that had very little dialogue but was perhaps the most beautiful piece of cinema ive seen all year. Im not an emotional person by any stretch, but it nearly had me bawling. There's alot of negative reviews saying this film was "too serious" or too "scary" for kids... Those reviews are more a reflection of a generation of over-protective parents who want their kids to grow up in a bubble than they are a reflection of the quality of this film. It is rated PG, and as such, there are some scenes that might be intense for kids under 7, but to be honest, most kids under 7 wont appreciate the best parts of movie anyways. Rest assured, there's nothing in this movie that wasn't in Bambi or Land Before Time. Not every movie is supposed to be silly. A good film invokes every emotion... which this one does brilliantly. Just because it made people cry, shouldn't make it a bad film. . If your kids find animals preying on other animals too offensive, then at worst it provides a good opportunity for mom or dad to talk about what happens in nature... In fact the film provides a great opportunity to create discussion on lots of topics... death, family, nature, friendship...that sometimes its good to cry... though based on other reviews it seems like parents now would rather never talk to their kids about those things at all and just hope they never have to deal with it... Id rather my kids watch this and take some meaning from it, then some dumbed down movie about talking cars or a Michael Bay explosion fest.

Adult Written bypprl November 28, 2015

terrible movie for kids

Ugh. This is a terrible movie for kids. I forgot that Disney cannot manage to tell an interesting story without killing off a loved one. The father doesn't even die for a good reason. He dies pushing his son to be brave by foolishly going out into the wilderness in a storm. The filmmakers then cruelly bring him back in a dream sequence only to have him dissipate. My 6-year-old said "Well at least someone didn't die, " and then "Nope, I was wrong." There's lots of violence throughout the movie with various injuries, animals getting attacked and eaten, and near-drownings. My 5-year-old announced "This whole movie is terrifying." She was right!

Adult Written bypekoorb November 26, 2015

Emotional rollercoater

I agree with all of the reviews about the amazing animation. It was stunning. However, we were hoping for a fun, light-hearted movie for kids ranging from 2 - 10 years old. Instead, it was much more about overcoming fear and was hugely emotional and intense (death, bullying, separation from family, being attacked). My husband's sleeve was soaked from my 10 year old's tears, the 2 year old was terrified, and I could hear the 5 and 8 year old crying throughout the movie. If you want silly and fun, this is probably not what you are looking for. I appreciated the message of recognizing fear and still being brave in spite of it. However, it felt really heavy for a PG movie made for kids.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bycarobear December 14, 2015

Went to see despite negative reviews (contains SPOILERS)

I almost didn't take my son to see this movie based on the horrifying reviews by other parents on this website. Thankfully, we did go see it and loved it. Is it for younger kids (under age 6)? Probably not, but as with anything else, you know your child best. I would say it's similar to both the Lion King and How to Train Your Dragon 2 in both parental death and (somewhat) violence. I don't understand why these animated movies seem to always kill off a parent, but other than that I thought The Good Dinosaur was very enjoyable, and my 7 year old loved it. There are some parts (mentioned in many of the other reviews) you should be aware of, especially if you have a younger or sensitive child. None of them were an issue for us, and none of them were nearly as bad as I felt many people made them out to be. Overall, this was a wonderful movie with a great message about friendship and facing your fears. Highly recommend!

Adult Written byAustin Mom November 28, 2015

Nothing to recommend about this one

We took my 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son to see it. The movie is very sad, and my 9 year old daughter cried at 3 different points in the movie. The movie has a lot of violence and some cruelty. The main characters are continuously faced with threatening situations throughout the whole movie. It had very few funny parts, and it just wasn't that interesting. Usually when we leave movies, my children chatter happily about the movie for a while after we leave. This time, my son had no comment at all on the movie, and my daughter talked about how it made her sad. Wish I could re-wind the clock and not see this one.

Parent of a 15 and 18+ year old Written bykottesen November 24, 2015

Too scary for preschoolers and sensitive kids!

My teenage son and I went to see this movie tonight. The preschooler and her mother sitting next to me left 30 minutes into this movie. The little girl was scared and couldn't stop crying. I heard other crying in the theater, as well, so, yeah, it's scary. It is also a great movie and one with a real boo-hoo crybaby ending (at least for me).

Adult Written bykearny_mom November 28, 2015

Not for little kids

The movie was ok. Definitely not for young kids. I wish I waited until the movie was out a bit longer and waited for the reviews. It was very disturbing to hear the little ones cry and then the parents made them stay to watch the rest. Good animation, but too scary and too sad. The previews are very misleading. My six year olds were not impressed, in fact very disappointed.
Adult Written bycdandola April 12, 2016

Not really a family film...scary and depressing

Sat down to watch this with my nearly 5-year old and 7-year old after seeing the trailer and got a total shock! Incredibly frightening and depressing and NOT an enjoyable family film. I had to stop it as they were very scared half way through and I watched the rest alone. I feel sorry for parents stuck at the cinema. Sorry Pixar but I don't find this a deep and meaningful film - there was no positive message that I found and it was almost entirely devoid of humor. I will be advising parents to avoid it. Such a let down after some of the great films from Pixar!

Adult Written byThe probably pa... April 8, 2016

Dissapointing

This movie was disturbing. I was expecting a nice and funny movie, But it was not. I think my kids need therapy now. All of them except my oldest were crying at the same time in several different locations of "The Good Dinosaur". I don't think that should be the name of this movie. It should be called, "The Beat-Up Dinosaur". There was hardly any plot or story arc--it was just disaster after disaster. There were some funny parts and cute parts, but I would not suggest this for younger children.

Adult Written byReviewer42 April 5, 2016

A terrible story set to a beautiful background

The Good Dinosaur was such a letdown after all the clever Disney Pixar films like Toy Story, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, and Monsters, Inc. I watched one third of this movie with my nose wrinkled, thinking it had to get better. When I realized it wasn't, I turned it off. I did finish it the next day, just to see how it turned out and was still disappointed. Other than the absolutely stunning scenery and one touching scene in the middle, I feel that this film has nothing going for it, from the badly-animated dinosaurs (Arlo looks like he is made of gelatin with absolutely no bone structure), to the oddity of herbivore dinosaurs growing corn and raising chickens (which they clearly won't be eating, nor the eggs), to the fact that there is vegetation all around and Arlo is weak with hunger but will only eat berries, to the carnivorous dinosaurs who herd long-horned bison (??) and gallop like horses, to the unnecessary shocking scenes and drunken hallucinations. The bottom line is, whether you will like this film or not depends on your viewing preferences. Overall, I felt that the whole idea of the "good" dinosaur was lost. (*possible spoilers*) Arlo spent about a third of the film trying to kill Spot (the human child) until some crazy, twitchy-eyed dinosaur told him he was valuable. I understand he was angry about his father's death and blamed Spot, but I felt it was carried out too long and too far. Even after accepting Spot, there was little evidence of Arlo being "good." In the scene in which he and Spot are eating fermented fruit from the ground and Spot looks up at the fresh fruit on the tree and back to the disgusting rotting fruit on the ground, I thought the two of them were going to work together to pick the fresh fruit from the tree, especially having previously seen Arlo struggle to reach the berries on a tree by himself and failing. Alas, no. The writers instead chose to throw in a scene of boy and dinosaur getting drunk and hallucinating, then waking up with hangovers. Truly a "good" moment wasted. There were other moments which I felt were a perfect opportunity to show Arlo earning his title as the "good" dinosaur that were also wasted. NOTE: One thing I found disturbing to watch as a parent was a child - a very young child - being strangled in a rope trap. I felt that scene was carried too far. It was enough to see him struggling to get free. Instead, he was strangled to the point of passing out as Arlo looked on. I didn't have as much trouble with other scenes of Spot being in peril, mostly because it was clear that he was about to be rescued, but having to sit there and watch a child being strangled was not appreciated. I also didn't appreciate Arlo telling Spot, "I should have killed you while I had the chance" and "I'm going to squeeze the life out of you." Yes, he saw him as a pest and was angry, but I felt it was a bit much. If Disney/Pixar ever decides to release a version of "The Good Dinosaur" with just the scenery (the animators did an incredible job) and soundtrack, I would buy it and enjoy it. But as it is, "The Good Dinosaur" will not be a part of my home movie library, nor will I be watching it again.

Parent Written byKicklighter February 11, 2016

A Disgrace to Science and Wonder, It's Pixar's Worst Movie Ever Made

Disney Pixar has been going pretty much downhill ever since they made boring movies, Cars 2 got a lot of negative reception for the emotion being treated wrongly, but later they revived with the good movie Inside Out, which was finally the first time in a long time that Pixar has made a really good movie, but then they went south again with this. The emotions and characters are the positive aspects of this movie, just like Inside Out, it has realistic emotions, some parts are happy and some parts are sad, which is realistic, yet we get to see characters spend time with each other, but there's a major flaw, it doesn't even capture what happened back in those prehistoric days, The meteor misses Earth, yet in real life, it obviously HIT Earth, and the dinosaurs in this movie live on, while in real life, THEY'RE EXTINCT! This movie is just another example of Hollywood taking their fictivity too far for cash grab ins, Yet many movies before this were very realistic in comparison, even 2001: A Space Odyssey was more realistic, yet we know the date was wrong, so it must have been set at least in 3/4/5001, Even Harry Potter, Star Wars, Shrek, Up, and The SpongeBob Movies are WAY more realistic than this, While a lot of you find lots of fictional elements in those movies, you won't believe your own eyes when you see This. Even the dinosaurs are unrealistic, Yet almost all dinosaurs, even the meat eating ones, are nice and friendly in this movie, yet they should be MEAN and HUNGRY for FLESH! It's like saying a bear is cute when it ISN'T! This movie is so bad that while many people hated Cars 2, this movie makes Cars 2 seem like a masterpiece. It's definitely Pixar's worst movie ever made, even the emotions, which people hated, aren't anywhere near as bad as the fictivity. This movie should've been boycotted before being released and Pixar should've learned more about science and imagination before making this. So while this movie takes emotions the right way, which it did, it doesn't take fictivity the right way, too much fiction can ruin a movie if you know what I mean. So we thought Pixar would finally recover when they made Inside Out, but they had us, especially me, wrong, so because of that, Pixar is officially dead.

Adult Written bylifeisgood2 December 17, 2015
I took my 5 & 7 year old to watch this movie, and they both loved it. While there were some sad moments, its a beautiful story. My girls have watched (and love) movies like The Lion King and Land Before Time (which also involve death, fighting, and overcoming obstacles), so in my opinion if your children are good watching those movies, they will enjoy this film!

Parent of a 9, 9, 10, and 13 year old Written byKatherineJourney December 7, 2015

Perfect!

I loved this movie! I didn't expect too much from it, but it blew me and my husband away. We took out kids to see it and everyone of them loved it as well! The animation was beautiful and the story was relatable. Last spring, my brother passed away and it was very hard on my oldest, since he was very close to him. Even though Disney movies ofthen so show the death of a parent or loved one, this one was extra special since he loves dinosaurs. It also dealt with adoption. SPOILER ALERT: Spot gets adopted by a family of humans at the end of the movie. This is great for kids who have been adopted. A lot of parents are saying this movie was too scary, but it was just great for my family. It was scary at some times but not enough for my kids to cry. Also, the short at the beginning was amazing! My daughter's best friend is Hindu and when the short first came on, my daughter smiled and said to me, "That boy looks like Arushi's brother!" It's important to have representation like that, especially in a Disney movie. Bravo Pixar!

Adult Written byPraff84 December 7, 2015

Magnificent Spectacle

This movie is filled with loads of excellent animation, great characters and superb positive message which applies to all age groups. A MUST WATCH !!!

Parent of a 15 year old Written byJWilliams303 November 25, 2015

Amazing Movie For Both Kids And Parents

Pixar does it again; they make a movie that can make you feel emotional, make you laugh, and make you interested in the story and the characters themselves! I didn't know what to make of this movie before seeing it but seeing it from start to finish, I ended up enjoying the whole movie! There are jokes for both kids and also for adults, maybe some adult jokes that might be hard to explain to kids in some scenes (aka when spot the human and Arlo eat poison fruit and start hallucinating). There is also a great message in this movie revolved around Arlo; it's ok to be afraid, but don't let your fear conquer you in the end, you have to learn to face them even when you are afraid. The movie does have some very emotional scenes that revolve around the two main characters of the film (Arlo and Spot) that may be scary at times or too sad for kids to see or maybe even understand. Overall a well done movie with amazing animation, amazing story, a powerful message, loving characters, and a movie that, in general, kids and parents will enjoy!

Adult Written byLindaA. April 24, 2016

Disturbing Violent Non-Kid Friendly Movie

I viewed this movie before showing it to my kids because I know a lot of movies put out for kids are really for adults. I felt this movie was unnecessarily violent and harsh. The first 10 minutes start out quiet and then quickly turns into raging storms, death and a panic-stricken dinosaur screaming for his mom. I think any child could be traumatized after watching this movie. The characters were also very ugly and scary looking, not something pleasant to watch. I do not agree with Common Sense Media's 5 star rating, this film is definitely not a family movie.