All member reviews for The Goonies

A classic '80s action-fantasy -- tweens will love!

Parent of a 8 year old Written bymommyoldfashioned June 3, 2010

Movie jacket ratings need adjustments I believe.

I can't rate it since I never got to see it completely but to submit I had to fill in the information so it is not truly a fair review.After the seen of a nude statue and the kid walking with genitalia from the statue in his hand that was broken off and then a drug conversation about cocaine I turned it off quickly.Not quite the topics of conversation for an 8 year old.I wish I knew before bringing it home.Now I realize I can't trust the ratings on the jackets I research first.
Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written byshamashauna November 25, 2010

Not good....

We were excited to watch this with our kids but had to turn it off. Too many inappropriate situations and way too much swearing. Probably not a movie we will watch when they are older either...
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySmokey Edwards March 20, 2011

It was a good movie, but there was too much swearing that may be OK for older kids. But otherwise, it was a good movie - some of the characters were really funny and it was an exciting story. There were lots of scary scenes and a weird-looking creature. Reviewed by 9-year-old boy.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byBennyZ July 25, 2010

Great adventure for kids! (If you know your little ones well)

I have two boys (4 and almost 6) who are very mature for their ages. They both LOVE this movie like anything else having to do with pirates. At this age, some of the more suggestive / inappropriate moments are over their heads and so are not a concern. As for the language, it's all in passing so if you don't make a big deal out of it they won't either. Introducing this movie to my young boys gives them a marvelous adventure to live through vicariously. It also shows them a good group of role models who decide to work together to protect their parents and families from rich snobs who care little about the people "beneath" them. As they grow, I'm sure they will begin to notice some of the more mature aspects of this film. Any parent who has open lines of communication with their children will welcome this as an opportunity to discuss these issues. I rate this movie as iffy for ages 4 and up because it can be a great movie for younger viewers if you really know your kids.
Kid, 12 years old January 17, 2011

In general, pretty good

I watched The Goonies as a 2-year-old, but then again, I didn't know what all that stuff meant. I'd say it's pretty good for 9+, and for some mature 8-year-olds. It has a good theme of working together.
Kid, 10 years old January 22, 2011

Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byiamabibliophile October 20, 2010

Great for 13 and up!

Parent Written by80s dad June 20, 2011

Love the movie, but not ok for my kids yet.

I loved this movie so much as a kid. I guess I was ten or eleven when it came out. My son (7) loves pirates and make believe and I thought it would be great to see again. My daughter (5) also watched with us. Five minutes in I realized it was not really PG but PG-13 content (PG-13 didn't exist back then)--I didn't remember any of this content from when I saw it as a kid. My wife gave me some hard looks and I decided we had to skip through it to avoid a lot of the issues--sexual jokes, swearing, high school guys trying to look up girls's skirts, mention of drugs and sexual torture, and other stuff. There are some things I am willing to talk them through with them (like how it makes jokes about the fat, the foreign, and the deformed people), guns, crime, etc. but I can't really explain discussion of torture, hard drugs or sexual jokes. I also think they can wait to learn the swear words. My son just discovered the word S**t at the park in some graffiti and this helped him remember it! This is a great 80s movie that I will always love but it is definitely not ok for kids under 10 or 11.
Kid, 12 years old June 4, 2011

The Best! An instant classic

Kids that dont get scared easy love this movie! I loved it, It was a little freaky when the obese kid was stuck in that freezer with that dead guy, but besides that I was rolling on the ground laughing! Not recommended for kids that get lots of nightmares and get scared easy.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bymo_cubsfan November 5, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieWatcher0606 October 23, 2010

Great Kid friendly movie!

Swearing is not a big deal! I saw this when I was 4 and it is still one of my favorite movies today!
Kid, 10 years old August 23, 2010

funny tale that will charm everybody.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byhophead July 12, 2010

Good film but be careful...

I liked the movie but was concerned about the language and some of the messages. They even mention drugs and sexual torture. Not cool for my 11 year old.
Parent Written byCooldee May 8, 2010

Full of adventures!

In ''The Goonies'', the ''S'' word is used 19 times. Mouth (a character in this movie), swears alot, but he is the funniest character in this movie! Mouth is my favorite character in The Goonies! This movie teaches eeverybody about friendship, love, adventures, and standing up for what you believe in.
Teen, 13 years old Written byolli3 April 23, 2010

The Goonies

I think it is an exellent 80's film. following a 1663 map into a spectacular underground passage, its got booby traps and wonderful scenes.Athough I have rated The Goonies as a 12, the film has a few mild swearing like s*** and cr** and may not be suitable for viewers unless parents allow or accompanied by an adult.
Adult Written byEatdessertfirst August 1, 2009

I rented this movie based on my own memory from when it came out so many years ago. I took it out for my son's 11th birthday sleepover. The beginning of the movie starts with references to marijuana and uses of the "S" word. Not what I expected and I was surprised. We stopped the movie and put in another movie that we already had at home.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjames brown April 9, 2008

good but, not good at the same time

what all the adults say about the s-word is true. In a PG-13 or R movie I would of expected it and not mineded it as much, but it's kind of disturbing on a PG. A pretty lot of sex to. it is hularious tho. on for 13+ otherwise make em' wait.(it shoud of been PG-13. you've also got to realize that there was a time in the 80's were the s-word was ok in kids movies.)
Parent of a 7, 17, and 19 year old Written byhtcblondie January 3, 2011

classic for over 10 years old...

Was a classic movie from my older kids and my past...I decided that my 7 year old was ready to see it and not be scared..however after sitting through it and listening to the many "shut up" and other words used, I would definitely suggest waiting for other to wait until at least 10 years old.
Parent of a 2, 4, 6, and 7 year old Written bybusymommyof4 October 26, 2009

GREAT for big kids, but keep out of reach for small children. ;)

I decided to finally let my almost 8yr old watch it with me, but we talked about everything the whole way through. I definitely won't let my 2, 4, & 6yr olds watch it until they're older, but I love this movie and think it's a great and fun movie for 7 or 8 and up. It can get a bit scary, though.
Teen, 13 years old Written byschuymarch1 April 9, 2008

Great Movie

This movie is one of the best.