Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Goonies

Classic '80s adventure has lots of swearing, some scares.

Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written byshamashauna November 25, 2010

Not good....

We were excited to watch this with our kids but had to turn it off. Too many inappropriate situations and way too much swearing. Probably not a movie we will watch when they are older either...

Adult Written byunrob9 March 14, 2019

Sexual Torture Devices? Cocaine, Heroine and Speed References

Horrid. The s**t word occurs easily 20-30 times in this film. Corey Feldman's character references - Cocaine, heroine, speed, marijuana and yes "Sexual Torture Devices" to terrify the housekeeper.
Characters constantly insult each other, swear, and make sexual references. Entire scene surrounding a statue's penis.
CommonSenseMedia's rating on Language: Ultimate Fail! Again, "Sexual Torture Devices?" Says s**t is first word in movie -- sounds like that's it! Nope, over and over bulls**t.
Multiple flashes up Andy - the cute girl's skirt. One character trying to look down her top. Talks about slipping the tongue, giving her the tongue, multiple sexual gestures and references.
Wow, this was supposed to be a kids movie - Beware, Beware if you're a parent.

Adult Written bydocb June 21, 2019

Not what I remebered - Parent of 9,11, and two seven year olds

I have to say to the opening is not what I remembered. A lot of cursing, sexual innuendos and a part where one of the Coerys was telling the maid in Spanish about where to sort all the cocaine, marijuana and speed. He was also telling her not to go upstairs where all the sexual torture devices were. Rest of the movie was as I remembered.

Parent Written byLia R. June 18, 2017

Not appropriate on sooo many levels

This movie has every possible inappropriate topic/content I can think of!! Sexual comments (i took naked pictures of your mom, looking at teen girls breasts), twisted and violent scenes (pretending to hang/suicide, hiding dead bodies, holding knife to kids' face and threatening to cut tongue out, disabled man chained and taunted), lots of swearing, making fun of others, I don't even know how I would process/discuss these things with my son and I don't want to!
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byBennyZ July 25, 2010

Great adventure for kids! (If you know your little ones well)

I have two boys (4 and almost 6) who are very mature for their ages. They both LOVE this movie like anything else having to do with pirates. At this age, some of the more suggestive / inappropriate moments are over their heads and so are not a concern. As for the language, it's all in passing so if you don't make a big deal out of it they won't either. Introducing this movie to my young boys gives them a marvelous adventure to live through vicariously. It also shows them a good group of role models who decide to work together to protect their parents and families from rich snobs who care little about the people "beneath" them. As they grow, I'm sure they will begin to notice some of the more mature aspects of this film. Any parent who has open lines of communication with their children will welcome this as an opportunity to discuss these issues. I rate this movie as iffy for ages 4 and up because it can be a great movie for younger viewers if you really know your kids.

Adult Written byluckiemommie April 9, 2008

The PG rating on Goonies is a typo!

We only watch G and PG movies. (Our kids are 7 and 9.) This movie should've been rated PG-13, for sexual-themed language and lots of 4-letter words. And that was only in the first 15 minutes! We turned it off after that. We tried to ignore it that long because the movie was a gift from a friend who was watching it with us. She had bought it for the kids in good faith that the rating could be trusted, but she exchanged looks with us and we mutually agreed it was definitely NOT appropriate for children our kids' ages. And I'm not sure such gratuitous language is ever appropriate -- why do filmmakers think 4-letter words belong in films targeted to kids? They must live in a different world than that of most Americans.
Adult Written byMads1998 November 30, 2018

Too scary

Just so you know, I am very easily frightened... Nightmares for weeks after watching Psycho with my class, kind of easily frightened. I watched The Goonies for first time when I was at my grade 3 (8&9 year olds) camp, and was to scared to watch it. I've since tried to finish it about 5 times and gotten too scared. The last time I tried I would have been around 15 or 16, and now at 20 I've decided that it is just too scary for me. So if you have a kid who is easily scared like me, please think about that before showing them this movie. Also the swearing and sexual themes seemed a bit unnecessary and confusing for a "kids movie".

Parent of a 8 year old Written bySmokey Edwards March 20, 2011
It was a good movie, but there was too much swearing that may be OK for older kids. But otherwise, it was a good movie - some of the characters were really funny and it was an exciting story. There were lots of scary
scenes and a weird-looking creature.

Reviewed by 9-year-old boy.

Parent of a 2, 4, and 6 year old Written bykippy October 14, 2009
This is rated PG, my 4 and 6 year old have watched Harry Potter with us, also PG, which they loved (just closed their eyes for the scary parts) but we weren't prepared for the language, dead body and kissing scenes in this movie. The kids hated it, it was too scary and inappropriate for their age! I will check this site before letting them watch another PG flick!!!

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byHKitty4 August 15, 2009

Good for tweens

Movie was great for my 8 1/2 year old, but my 6 year old son was scared of the gun fire and the "monster" downstairs.

Adult Written byLcHavlin October 6, 2019
At the beginning of the movie there’s a scene where someone “commits suicide” by hanging himself. Turns out he was pretending to do it to escape jail and ends up killing a guard once he’ was cut down.
Adult Written byThysoakleysullivan May 18, 2019

A great film

I loved this film as a child and it didn’t disappoint my children either.
There are some questionable villains in the film, that chase them throughout. They had murdered someone but you do not witness this, you see the body in a freezer.
There is some language but nothing they would not have heard out and about, ( shit).
There is drugs mentioned but it’s done in a comical way - boy being mischievous when translating. My boys didn’t pick up on it.
Over all it’s a good light heartened adventure film.
I have added great message and great role models as it, depicts I guess misfits who except each other and stick together who become great friends. They achieved something their parents had lost hope in. Then there’s the new found love between sloth and chunk

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byJennifer C. April 18, 2019

Such a fun movie

My 8 year old is a bit more skittish and apt to have bad dreams. She was not ready for this movie until 8 years old. But my 4.5 year old was more than ready at this age. LOVES everything about this movie. It's a family favorite for us.
Parent of a 4, 5, and 9 year old Written byDebi W. December 5, 2018

Times have changed

My boys have watched this movie. Its one of their favourites. They are 5 and 9. Kids movies of the 80's were a lot more violent then movies for kids today, and this was a kids movie in the 80's geared towards the 6 and up age group. My 5 year is the most sensitive and he needed to have us talk him through it the first time and let him know ahead of time what was happening but now that he has seen it he has no issues with it at all and rewatches it all the time.
Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byAuge November 27, 2018

Goonies then and now

I loved this movie as a kid in the 80’s and couldn’t wait to watch w/my 8&10 year olds. It didn’t disappoint! Yes there’s some language but my kids know that using swears is unacceptable so I wasn’t concerned that this movie would send them off swearing left and right. Fun pirate movie!!!

Adult Written by80sbaby October 26, 2018

I think we pamper our children

I was really excited when this came on Netflix, we watch 80\90s flicks with our children as they in general seem more innocent without the cgi. This was listed online as a PG but Netflix said a 12 and this is most definitely a 12. Swear words such as bullshit, reference to sexual torture and drugs, very glad mine were 11 when they watched it, but had I remembered what was in it I would have held back for a few years. Whilst this may have been a PG in the 80s this is not what I would expect now.

Adult Written byparentoftwokids July 18, 2018

Too Relatable

My sons were both scared of this movie-- but not because of the scary criminals. In fact, it was the opposite! Since I in fact am a hardened criminal and they are on the path to be one as well, they thought the violence against the criminals was just too scary and thought that one day that could happen to them. I had to explain to them that most likely they won't slip and fall on a log, but more likely just be sentenced to life in prison for multiple bank robberies. In fact, I'm surprised that I haven't been arrested yet, lol. So it was a good movie -- until it got scarily relatable.

Parent of an infant, 3, 5, 12, and 17 year old Written byJohn T. May 16, 2018

A fun family adventure.

Yeah it was given a PG rating in a time before PG-13, but if my parents let my little bother watch it in theaters when he was four I'm sure the little 4 and 5 year olds today can watch it. Parents these days tend to forget that their parents most likely took them to see this movie when they were well below the age of ten. Give a classic some slack.
- Peace, John Torrance

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 27, 2017

Not thaaat good.

Adult Written bysusan b. November 4, 2017

Absolutely awful

"Sexual torture" has no place in a children's movie (try and explain what that means to a 9-year-old). The film is dated, with plenty of sexual innuendo and the typical male/female and cultural stereotypes. I cringed the entire 2 hours. A waste of time.