All member reviews for The Goonies

A classic '80s action-fantasy -- tweens will love!

Parent of a 7, 17, and 18+ year old Written byhtcblondie January 3, 2011

classic for over 10 years old...

Was a classic movie from my older kids and my past...I decided that my 7 year old was ready to see it and not be scared..however after sitting through it and listening to the many "shut up" and other words used, I would definitely suggest waiting for other to wait until at least 10 years old.
Adult Written bykissables April 9, 2008

Way to many cuss words and vulgar language, even for Dad.

I am watching one of my favorite childhood films with my 8 year old boy. They have said Sh*t, Omg,what-the-hell, balls,p*ss, *ss, shut-up,and damn. This was 20 minutes in. Not appropriate for elementary age kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjames brown April 9, 2008

good but, not good at the same time

what all the adults say about the s-word is true. In a PG-13 or R movie I would of expected it and not mineded it as much, but it's kind of disturbing on a PG. A pretty lot of sex to. it is hularious tho. on for 13+ otherwise make em' wait.(it shoud of been PG-13. you've also got to realize that there was a time in the 80's were the s-word was ok in kids movies.)
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 14, 2011
haa i love this movie. its very interesting.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieWatcher0606 October 23, 2010

Great Kid friendly movie!

Swearing is not a big deal! I saw this when I was 4 and it is still one of my favorite movies today!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byjax412 October 7, 2009

Not a problem for kids in Middle School

By the time kids hit Middle School, they've heard far worse language from their peers, in music, etc., than they'll hear in this movie, and they're mature enough to know what is and is not appropriate for them to use in school or at home. They certainly enjoy the movie, but I do think that a good deal of the "sh**" stuff was not necessary. I do agree that, if this movie were released today, it would probably be PG-13.
Adult Written byshansintx April 9, 2008

One of my favorites

Loved this movie at a kid (10 or 11? I think). Watching it now w/ my 9 year old, I seriously wish I would have watched it again before allowing him to view it. Should be rated PG-13. Several references to sex, drugs, and crude language. Not so bad that it should be rated R, but be cautioned about younger kids.
Kid, 11 years old December 20, 2009

Even kids in Middle school need to be checked in maturity rate bedfore atching this

Thsi PG movie is a bit to much for kids.You should let your kids watch if their MATURE.Great movie though
Teen, 13 years old Written byschuymarch1 April 9, 2008

Great Movie

This movie is one of the best.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byelaspir June 14, 2013

More sex talk than listed and some drug jokes

I watched this with my almost 10-year old and was shocked by a few things omitted from the reviews read here. One is that early in the movie, Corey Feldman's character throws out some funny lines about illegal drugs and S&M. I wasn't prepared for this and wouldn't have chosen for my kid to hear those things. Another surprise is where some teenage boys are asking one of the friends "how far he got" with one of the girl characters - that wasn't in the review. That is why I would rate it for a slightly older kid. However, it is still a fantastic movie. The scary parts were just right - thrilling but fun. The kids' loyalty to each other is great!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybrodytrinceTV May 30, 2011

THIS MOVIE IS GOOD ENOUGH

i received thisa film on my 5th birthday, and after nine years it is my favorite movie, this is some language, a deformed person who does have a shining ending, and yeah i bought a baby ruth after watching it
Teen, 17 years old Written byXemnasSuperior March 10, 2011
Kid, 8 years old January 17, 2011

great

this is a very good movie because I like how they search for one eyed willy in the caverns and its very interesting.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 April 4, 2009

An absloute classic!

Salty language and sexual content surround the film, but it is always going to be on of my favorites!
Parent of a 2, 6, 7, and 8 year old Written bygranata September 16, 2012

I didn't remember it being so crass! But that's okay.

I saw this when I was a kid so figured it'd be alright to rent. For the most part it was fine. But you should know that the S*** word is mentioned 20 times in the movie. Don't make a big deal out if it and your kids won't either. Other than that there is some violence (mostly cartoonish and gun firing), a couple of open-mouthed kisses I could have done without plus a reference to "sexual torture devices" and drugs (both in Spanish but subtitled). Oh, there is also a scene with a nude statue that some might find offensive, but it's about as tame as anything found in Rome. There is a joke made about the genitalia being the kids' mother's favorite part (and that's how they got there). Pretty funny but over my kids' heads.
Kid, 10 years old August 8, 2011

Great, but some stuff in there, NUH UH.

This movie is VERY GOOD and what I'd expect from a Spielberg movie (this is a Spielberg movie, by the way), but some stuff in there, NUH UH.
Parent Written bytacit blue June 18, 2011

This should not be rated PG

I never saw this movie when I was a younger but I am aware that it is something of a classic. It comes from Steven Spielberg and was rated PG so we rented it for family movie with our seven year old. In the first few minutes one of the kids in the movie says "s**t", I thought maybe I misheard, so we let it slide, then moments later they say it again. Then one of the boys makes all kinds of lewd suggestions to the nannie and there is sight gag in which a penis is broken off a statue and then glued back on in an upright manner. The DVD was ejected just a few minutes in and we had to watch something else instead. This is more PG-13 than PG.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 6 year old Written bykippy October 14, 2009
This is rated PG, my 4 and 6 year old have watched Harry Potter with us, also PG, which they loved (just closed their eyes for the scary parts) but we weren't prepared for the language, dead body and kissing scenes in this movie. The kids hated it, it was too scary and inappropriate for their age! I will check this site before letting them watch another PG flick!!!
Kid, 9 years old August 8, 2009
very bad language
Adult Written byDisneyFan April 9, 2008

Great Pirate Fun

I loved this movie as a kid, and I still love it as an adult. There is a lot of colorful language in this movie---which I never noticed until watching with my son. So, if anything is going to be a bother to some parents, it will be that. Still, it is a lot of fun--just make sure your kids know not to repeat what they hear!