All member reviews for The Goonies

A classic '80s action-fantasy -- tweens will love!

Teen, 14 years old Written bybrodytrinceTV May 30, 2011

THIS MOVIE IS GOOD ENOUGH

i received thisa film on my 5th birthday, and after nine years it is my favorite movie, this is some language, a deformed person who does have a shining ending, and yeah i bought a baby ruth after watching it
Teen, 17 years old Written byXemnasSuperior March 10, 2011

Kid, 8 years old January 17, 2011

great

this is a very good movie because I like how they search for one eyed willy in the caverns and its very interesting.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byjax412 October 7, 2009

Not a problem for kids in Middle School

By the time kids hit Middle School, they've heard far worse language from their peers, in music, etc., than they'll hear in this movie, and they're mature enough to know what is and is not appropriate for them to use in school or at home. They certainly enjoy the movie, but I do think that a good deal of the "sh**" stuff was not necessary. I do agree that, if this movie were released today, it would probably be PG-13.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byHighPlainsMom August 11, 2009

Would Probably Be Rated PG-13 Today

The action and adventure of this movie is entertaining (kids on a hunt for lost treasure -- shades of Indiana Jones for the younger set) but I was a little dismayed by the persistent use of foul language and some of the sexual undertones of the older characters. A young boy (mistakenly) kisses his older brothers girlfriend and there is a scene where the band of boys try frantically to reglue a broken phallus onto a statue. The older female character wears a short tennis skirt throughout the movie and there are climbing scenes where you can see her underwear. There were a few moments where I felt a little uncomfortable with my 9-year-old son watching but we discussed the movie afterward and acknowledged that the language was not appropriate for him to use. I found the movie more appropriate for my 12-year-old son although I still found the language unneccesary and over-the-top for a childrens movie.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byelaspir June 14, 2013

More sex talk than listed and some drug jokes

I watched this with my almost 10-year old and was shocked by a few things omitted from the reviews read here. One is that early in the movie, Corey Feldman's character throws out some funny lines about illegal drugs and S&M. I wasn't prepared for this and wouldn't have chosen for my kid to hear those things. Another surprise is where some teenage boys are asking one of the friends "how far he got" with one of the girl characters - that wasn't in the review. That is why I would rate it for a slightly older kid. However, it is still a fantastic movie. The scary parts were just right - thrilling but fun. The kids' loyalty to each other is great!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymagsmags April 22, 2011

My & yearold is now having nightmares!!!!

I loved this fil as a kid, when it first came out but when i let my 7 year old watch it , i knew i had made a big mistake as he has been having nightmares ever since. Three weeks on bedtime is a nightmare and he dreams about one eyed willie.So i cursed the day it was on tv and even more about my own excitment to share what i remembered being a good kids film with him. Saying all that age aside i still really enjoyed the film but not for the little ones at all !!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 14, 2011

haa i love this movie. its very interesting.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bydandy June 3, 2010

IT HAD THE S WORD MORE THAN 20 TIMES!

I did not let my kids watch this tell they were 9. But I turned it off after the first fifteen mins. It had the S word more than 6 times. I watched this movie after my kids went to sleep.IT HAD THE S WORD MORE THAN 20 TIMES! When they woke up in the morning I told them they couldn't watch it tell they were 12! One of the characters is scary looking but is really a nice man! They also say (d**n, and a**).
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written bysupermorgans February 9, 2010

Great movie--just not for kids!

Great story--I tell my 4 year old, but he'll have to wait til he's a lot older to see it because of the language, violence, and sexuality. I think common sense media must've forgotten about corey feldman's spanish interpretation to the housekeeper--bad language, drug themes, and lots of sexuality.
Kid, 9 years old August 8, 2009

very bad language
Adult Written byshansintx April 9, 2008

One of my favorites

Loved this movie at a kid (10 or 11? I think). Watching it now w/ my 9 year old, I seriously wish I would have watched it again before allowing him to view it. Should be rated PG-13. Several references to sex, drugs, and crude language. Not so bad that it should be rated R, but be cautioned about younger kids.
Adult Written bykissables April 9, 2008

Way to many cuss words and vulgar language, even for Dad.

I am watching one of my favorite childhood films with my 8 year old boy. They have said Sh*t, Omg,what-the-hell, balls,p*ss, *ss, shut-up,and damn. This was 20 minutes in. Not appropriate for elementary age kids.
Educator and Parent Written byAnexandros July 24, 2013

Goonies is a childhood must-watch.

We really liked goonies. Even still, it reminds us of our childhood. Great Film!
Parent of a 2, 6, 7, and 8 year old Written bygranata September 16, 2012

I didn't remember it being so crass! But that's okay.

I saw this when I was a kid so figured it'd be alright to rent. For the most part it was fine. But you should know that the S*** word is mentioned 20 times in the movie. Don't make a big deal out if it and your kids won't either. Other than that there is some violence (mostly cartoonish and gun firing), a couple of open-mouthed kisses I could have done without plus a reference to "sexual torture devices" and drugs (both in Spanish but subtitled). Oh, there is also a scene with a nude statue that some might find offensive, but it's about as tame as anything found in Rome. There is a joke made about the genitalia being the kids' mother's favorite part (and that's how they got there). Pretty funny but over my kids' heads.
Adult Written bySirenStar November 4, 2011

Great movie!! Mild language and drug references

The first time I saw The Goonies, I was 10. I LOVED IT!! Nothing in the movie, like the dead person, bothered me at all. I know there are drug references and language, but I didn't remember or understand it until I watched it when I was older. I really don't think the statue scene is an issue, as it's just a piece of art and I thought nothing of it as a child. As long as the child doesn't scare easily, this movie will be a favorite for a lifetime!!
Parent Written byGoonie@heart August 11, 2011

You Gooone!!!!

One of the top 10 best movies ever made.
Kid, 10 years old August 8, 2011

Great, but some stuff in there, NUH UH.

This movie is VERY GOOD and what I'd expect from a Spielberg movie (this is a Spielberg movie, by the way), but some stuff in there, NUH UH.
Kid, 10 years old July 11, 2010

Four Friends.....

go on an adventure to seek a old pirate's treasure before the bad guys.
Kid, 12 years old May 30, 2010