A classic '80s action-fantasy -- tweens will love!

Kid, 10 years old August 8, 2011

Great, but some stuff in there, NUH UH.

This movie is VERY GOOD and what I'd expect from a Spielberg movie (this is a Spielberg movie, by the way), but some stuff in there, NUH UH.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written bysupermorgans February 9, 2010

Great movie--just not for kids!

Great story--I tell my 4 year old, but he'll have to wait til he's a lot older to see it because of the language, violence, and sexuality. I think common sense media must've forgotten about corey feldman's spanish interpretation to the housekeeper--bad language, drug themes, and lots of sexuality.
Adult Written byDisneyFan April 9, 2008

Great Pirate Fun

I loved this movie as a kid, and I still love it as an adult. There is a lot of colorful language in this movie---which I never noticed until watching with my son. So, if anything is going to be a bother to some parents, it will be that. Still, it is a lot of fun--just make sure your kids know not to repeat what they hear!
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byThoughtful Mom November 21, 2014

Boring and Offensive

Aside from being very hard to understand and having people yelling at each other throughout, it manages to use negative stereotypes about Asians, Jews, overweight kids, girls, women, Latinas, Italians, and developmentally disabled people. Commensensemedia didn't warn me about these negative messages it perpetuates. I didn't notice any positive messages. The kids and adults are often rude to each other, using bad language regularly and hitting each other. There is one scene of threatened torture to a child where they almost put his hand in a blender. There are scary scenes with a dead body, many skeletons, and other creepy things that would scare a sensitive kid under 10 or so. I did not find anything redeeming about this movie.
Parent Written byLetkidsbekids September 28, 2014

Super inappropriate

I wanted to like this. I never saw it as a kid but hear it referred to as a "classic." No way. We should have turned it off in the first five minutes, but we made it about 20 minutes and then did so. I haven't read all the reviews but a good number of them. I didn't see any other mention of the reference to "sexual torture devices." Serious???? The language doesn't even bother me--lots of sh*# mentions. Kids giggled. But references to heroin, speed, and cocaine??? I am lost how this is for young kids (I have boys, 8 and 10). Somehow we made it through that hoping it would get better. What finally made us turn it off was my kids' building anxiety and nervousness during the tense scenes with the bad guys. My kids were practically being tortured with anxiety. Turned off. I think this is the only time Common Sense Media has steered me wrong.
Parent Written byMinn Mama June 4, 2014

THE GOONIES ROCK

I think that the goonies is a really great movie and is very funny for kids.
Educator and Parent Written byAnexandros July 24, 2013

Goonies is a childhood must-watch.

We really liked goonies. Even still, it reminds us of our childhood. Great Film!
Adult Written bySirenStar November 4, 2011

Great movie!! Mild language and drug references

The first time I saw The Goonies, I was 10. I LOVED IT!! Nothing in the movie, like the dead person, bothered me at all. I know there are drug references and language, but I didn't remember or understand it until I watched it when I was older. I really don't think the statue scene is an issue, as it's just a piece of art and I thought nothing of it as a child. As long as the child doesn't scare easily, this movie will be a favorite for a lifetime!!
Kid, 10 years old July 11, 2010

Four Friends.....

go on an adventure to seek a old pirate's treasure before the bad guys.
Kid, 12 years old May 30, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written byerik252 May 1, 2010
this is one of my alltime faviorites
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviegeek97 February 26, 2010

One of the best movies ever

I personaly loved this movie, it is full of action, suspence, and full of laughs
Parent of a 13 year old Written bySadygen February 12, 2010

Excellent movie!

This is one of my favorite childhood movies. There are a couple instances of mild swearing, but I just adore this movie.
Parent of a 1, 6, and 9 year old Written bymamaginger August 26, 2009
We loved this movie! It made us laugh for days. We definitely agree that it is not for younger viewers, though.
Adult Written byPal101 April 9, 2008

A great movie

This is great for older kids. The only promlem is its overuse of the S word.
Adult Written bygitters April 9, 2008

baby ruth!

An adventure film aimed at children, but the character "Sloth" may frighten small children, and the "S" word is used quite often. It's appropriateness would depend on how you feel about bad language.
Educator and Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bymomwithkidsandcats August 14, 2016

I was not expecting this...

I had to turn it off after only 5 minutes. This was not an appropriate movie for my children. There were lots of curses, drug references and sexual innuendo. It really took me by surprise. I thought I was just introducing my kids to a great 80's movie and was very disappointed and shocked...
Parent Written by80sgreenblog August 11, 2011

You Gooone!!!!

One of the top 10 best movies ever made.
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written byacepal July 16, 2010
Fine for older kids (11+), but my 8-year-olds watched it with us and I regreted letting them see it. I had forgotten so much since I saw it as a young person in the 80's.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written bymoviemommy5 August 19, 2009

the movie that will never die!

love this movie, such a great family fun movie!!!!!