All member reviews for The Goonies

A classic '80s action-fantasy -- tweens will love!

Kid, 8 years old August 7, 2015

Its a good film for kids 12 and up I think they should just ignore s---

Good for people 12 and up should just ignore s--- and its a good old film PS my faverote characters sloth
Educator and Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written byMrsAbbott June 28, 2015

Goonie Fan!

I've been a Goonies fan since my tween years. But, I am not a fan of the language that is used throughout the movie for my children. There are several parts that could be scary for younger or sensitive viewers. Skeletons and guns are present several times. The "stiff" in the freezer is a yucky part. There is also some inappropriate parts at the beginning referring to drugs and a statue's male parts. However, it is a more mild PG movie from the 80's.
Educator and Parent of a 2, 5, 8, 10, 13, and 16 year old Written byhun June 7, 2015

Fast forward the beginning for younger kids

The opening scene is of a man in a jail who tricks the guard into thinking he hung himself. There is a chase scene that is fine but the next scene, the thr kids are coming together in the house, a statue of "David" falls and the private part breaks. There is a lot of focus on that broken part and putting it on upside down and references to that. Meanwhile, "Mouth" plays a trick on the mom and the Spanish speaking helped by purposely translating several instructions into where she is to but the drugs, name 3 specific drugs by name including cocaine and worse, and then he refers to the attic as where the s*xual torture devices, all of this is described with subtitles. Shortly after is a scene where the boy in the convertible is adjusting the rear view mirror to look at the girl in the passenger seat in an inappropriate way, and they show the reflection in the mirror. There is a lot of swearing in the beginning and overall a lot of using Gods name in vain. The lady criminal also says "kids suck" which I remember from when I was a kid as being hurtful.
Kid, 11 years old May 9, 2015

kid,age 11 (star trek)

I LOVE THIS MOVIE this movie is sooo funny i lauged a lot but my favorite part is a scene called data arivers that scene is so funny becasuse insteed of going throug the door he attched a zip-line from his roof to mikeys balacan so he starts to play secret agent music and flys acrose the road whe he disembarks which means he jumps he crashes into evereybodoy. but what is funny is that data has a coat whith inventtions that he made all overe it like slick shoes which means oil comes out of his shoes when he presses a button one time his inventions saved him from dying the invention was called pinchers of peril (by the way none of the main charters were over the age of 12 (mikey,data,mouth,and chunky) there were only three teenagers in the movie as charters (brandon,steph and andy) beacause this movie is foucsed on kids who go on a crazy adventure thourgh an underground passges finding a lot of traps along the way and skeltons and a old map and treasure and crooks and pirates and a once mighty pirate ship called th infore this is a epic movie especily with the giant octoupse and skeltons but if you want to see this movie wacth it)
Kid, 11 years old February 18, 2015

Im sorry goonies fans but this i can't give any respect to.

To give the workers of this film some respect, i gave this one 2 stars instead of one. This should've been rated R. I couldn't even sit through the movie. So many s- words! Sexual content to. And violence; well, I've seen many pg- 13 rated flicks that never went anywhere near a woman holding a knife near a boy's tongue. Even God was probably disappointed if he ever saw this.
Kid, 11 years old February 11, 2015

Goonies

Great movie. It has fun adventures and cool scenes the violence is cartoonish and not graphic in any way however some parents may be worried about a hanging scene where a man pretends to hang himself in order to escape jail however despite him escaping quickly it may be worrying there's frequent mild language and lots do peril but it's ok for older kids
Kid, 10 years old December 28, 2014

good movie but bad language

This is a good film but there are some scary scenes and some uses of "shit"
Teen, 14 years old Written byLunaWolf December 14, 2014

Okay although a little boring.

This movie was okay, me and my friend were pretty bored through out it asit was pretty cliched and predictable. There were some amusing bits, (The spanish translation for instants.) but the characters were very cliched (The fat kid, the gadget fanatic asain boy, the rebel, the jock brother, the screaming, helpless jock brothers love interest, the geek girl, the main heroic character who wants to keep his family together.) Some parts to watch out for is a scene with a naked statue and a scene where the rebelish kid purposefully mistranslates spanish, however those are quite early on in the movie and after that apart fro some swearing and a few kiss scenes it's pretty much okay. I'd recomend this movie for tweens but it can drag on and is awfully cliched. (From beginning to end.)
Adult Written bym.j.r December 10, 2014

Not for young kids

I remember loving this as a kid so got it for my adventure-loving 6 and 8yr old boys. Big mistake! I had to turn it off after about 45min following a series of questions about heroin and drug-dealers and why someone would want to sell naked pictures of their friend's mum... Some really inappropriate messages.
Kid, 10 years old November 30, 2014

LOTS OF SEX AND BAD WORDS

lots of sex and bad words, and some violence.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byThoughtful Mom November 21, 2014

Boring and Offensive

Aside from being very hard to understand and having people yelling at each other throughout, it manages to use negative stereotypes about Asians, Jews, overweight kids, girls, women, Latinas, Italians, and developmentally disabled people. Commensensemedia didn't warn me about these negative messages it perpetuates. I didn't notice any positive messages. The kids and adults are often rude to each other, using bad language regularly and hitting each other. There is one scene of threatened torture to a child where they almost put his hand in a blender. There are scary scenes with a dead body, many skeletons, and other creepy things that would scare a sensitive kid under 10 or so. I did not find anything redeeming about this movie.
Parent Written byLetkidsbekids September 28, 2014

Super inappropriate

I wanted to like this. I never saw it as a kid but hear it referred to as a "classic." No way. We should have turned it off in the first five minutes, but we made it about 20 minutes and then did so. I haven't read all the reviews but a good number of them. I didn't see any other mention of the reference to "sexual torture devices." Serious???? The language doesn't even bother me--lots of sh*# mentions. Kids giggled. But references to heroin, speed, and cocaine??? I am lost how this is for young kids (I have boys, 8 and 10). Somehow we made it through that hoping it would get better. What finally made us turn it off was my kids' building anxiety and nervousness during the tense scenes with the bad guys. My kids were practically being tortured with anxiety. Turned off. I think this is the only time Common Sense Media has steered me wrong.
Parent Written byjhoward516 September 24, 2014

Adult Written byushatch5 September 18, 2014

Magic

The best film ever made
Parent Written byParkeway September 5, 2014

A classic, but be cautious

Dusted off this olden goldie to show our sons, 9 and 10, how movies were made in the '80's. Funny, my recollection of the movie didn't include hearing s&^t 10-15 times. My children knew almost immediately that they were in over their heads when the first utterance landed no more than 5 minutes in. Couple this with a lot of dead-body screen time and an otherwise good story becomes unnecessarily dark and crude. There were many laughs however, and an eventual moral salvation when they each told us that they loved Sloth...of course, didn't we all. Parents beware, if you're thinking "PG", you'll get more "PG-13" with this one.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAJSS1234 July 3, 2014

A family friendly Classic

There is swearing and brief drug references but the drug references were used as a joke and the swearing used when a kid should swear. My uncle saw this movie when it first came out in 1985 and he was five or six then. My little brother also saw it when he was six, a few months ago, and I saw it in school and could have seen it before that, although I do not remember, but this is a classic that everyone should see.
Kid, 7 years old June 13, 2014

Goonies Are Good

I liked this movie and how all of the kids worked together as a team. There was a little to much cursing for the age of the children, for a child my age, as well as a little violence, but I still really enjoyed this film
Kid, 11 years old June 10, 2014

Swearing might be an issue

There Is a lot of swearing in this movie. The 80s thought that swears weren't such a big deal back then. Young kids should definally not watch this.
Kid, 10 years old June 9, 2014

you should see it

it is a good movie. i watched it yesterday, and it was awesome!!! it is a good family movie to see
Kid, 11 years old April 4, 2014

Not What I Expected

I expected this to be a nice family watch, a classic adventure story, but it was really disappointing. The acting sucked, the plot could have been a lot better, and the humor was crude and out of place. There where very few funny parts, and though it was supposed to be slapstick adventure, a lot of scenes where pretty creepy, showing torture and mutilated faces.Really, this movie just sucked, and i didn't even watch the whole thing is was so bad.