All member reviews for The Grand Budapest Hotel

Witty, whimsical farce with some cartoonish violence.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydoubleE March 16, 2014

LEARNING

Wes Anderson's new film is Brilliantly Fantastic

This movie Is just... Wow. There is very brief sexual content that you'll probably miss because the scene is extremely short. There is a totally inappropriate painting but it's best not to look at it. The violence at time is a little gory but very cartoonish. If you kid is mature and dying to see this, take them. The Grand Budapest Hotel is an absolute marvel. It's a very mild R rated movie. It's hysterical and moving all at the same time.
Teen, 13 years old Written by150quail March 7, 2014

Hilarious! Old comedy style makes me laugh

The colors and style is gorgeous and let me tell you that this comedy is great. The main character and his lobby boy are great actors and it kind of brings old comedy styles back from the fad grounds. It contains language and shooting and sometimes gory violence. Overall, it's a great movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynanasomo June 28, 2014
Teen, 16 years old Written byRufusCharlie234 June 15, 2014

Great Movie with some suggestive content

Overall great movie, not very violent or sexual, unlike what some websites say, but still there is some of it. Very funny and artistic, like many of Wes Anderson's movies.
Teen, 17 years old Written byRustyShackleford June 21, 2014

Easily Wes Anderson's best film

There's something to make you smile in almost every scene of this whimsical adventure. Whether it's pretty sight, or a masterfully timed one liner by Ralph Fiennes' Gustave H., The grand Budapest hotel is a treat from start to finish. Ralph Fiennes again proves that he is one of the best actors of his generation. He is able to go on long, eloquent speeches, and can end them with beautifully timed profanity, that catches you so off guard that they get a laugh almost every time. He embodies what is likely the best character of the year so far, and brings a casual sophistication to it. At times, watching this movie is like looking at a beautifully iced cake that has come to life, which is fitting as cakes are used in important situations in the plot. I wanted to lick the screens at time, it looked so good. There are an almost endless supply of cameos and supporting roles, all of which are amusing, no matter how small. I won't spoil them because they are some of the best jokes. Going into the film, I assumed that it was just going to ride on the merits of it's smaller roles, but none of the cameos outstay their welcome. Most of them are gone as soon as they arrive, and they all serve a purpose. This is a movie that never goes for the cheap laughs; it instead rides on the merits of it's characters, and it's only flaw is that it is all over too soon. You will not be disappointed.
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah March 22, 2014

A hilarious, fun, zany film.

This is Wes Anderson, so you expect it to be incredibly stylish, and it is. Every single technical aspect is amazing and they all complement each other perfectly like clockwork. The quirkiness is still there and the performances are all awesome; Ralph Fiennes is actually hilarious. The jokes work and the physical and verbal humor go well together, and they're of course helped even more by Anderson's direction. However, the screenplay is probably the weakest part. Now that isn't really saying a tom because the production and costume designs are terrific and the cinematography has every single shot perfectly framed, but the script has far too many characters. It actually marginalizes some performances and other characters feel too skimmed over or like they were just in the movie for the sake of recognizable casting. Willem Defoe should have had a much larger role since he was just fun to watch but instead be barely qualifies as a supporting actor. The excess characters were my main (and only) problem, but this is still so much fun. 8.8/10, awesome, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCloudIsC00L723 May 4, 2014

Imaginative, hilarious Wes Anderson comedy with some iffy scenes.

First of all, this is easily my favorite movie of the year so far. A comedy this fresh and this quirky is very hard to come by in a large array of dumb, crude comedies. Ralph Fiennes does a fantastic job playing as Gustav H. or AKA what I'd like to say is the best hotel concierge in movie history. I could go on and on about how great this movie is but I'd just suggest seeing this movie for yourself. As far as inappropriate content goes, it's not as bad as an R-rating would allow, but there's still some stuff that I'd be aware of, some of which weren't mentioned in CSM's review. For violence, while comical in nature, the most shocking bits are when a man's fingers are chopped off by a sliding door and are shown close up, a cat is thrown out a window, shown dead on the ground with it's (obviously fake) gory remains for a few seconds, and eventually shown in a bag which a character carries with him out the door, and there's also a scene where a prisoner kills four guards in a hole with blood and some stabbing shown. A character (humorously) calls a regular kitchen knife a "throat slitter." For sexuality, there's a very brief scene (literally about a second) where a character is shown in bed with a topless elderly woman. It's implied that the same character has had affairs with many other elderly women. A painting depicting a lesbian couple having graphic sex is shown in multiple scenes as well as some black and white photos of naked women in the background in a prison cell. There's also some language to be aware of, especially f**k and a few homophobic slurs, but it's not constant nor used as tediously as other R-rated comedies. I don't recommend this movie for young teens. But older teens and adults looking for some great laughs will love this movie and will want to watch it multiple times.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bymerely_mere April 7, 2014
Written byAnonymous September 9, 2014

I don't know what's the matter

I think this film is just rated R for Swearing. There's nothing to worry about if your children is 12 or older
Teen, 16 years old Written byjb321678 October 5, 2014

Wes Anderson's unique and wonderful style at its best.

Wes Anderson is in many ways one of America's best modern filmmakers. He knows how to make a movie that is completely absurd and pull it off. When you think about it, that's not an easy task. However, with The Grand Budapest Hotel, Mr. Anderson proves that he knows what he is doing. The Grand Budapest hotel is an incredibly different but brilliant film. Once Budapest Hotel gets you familiar with it's characters, you know you're going to love them. They story revolves around a man by the name of M. Gustave (Ralph Fiennes) and his lobby boy Zero (Anthony Quinonez) at The Grand Budapest Hotel. Honestly, I don't want to give too much away about this movie so that's all I really feel I need to share about the story. Do know however, that is a great tale and Ralph Fiennes nails his role as M. Gustave and newcomer Anthony Quinonez is just as enjoyable. Of course, Anderson has his usual cast that make brief appearances such as Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, and Jason Schwartzman. Plus other notable performances are made by Saoirse Ronan, Edward Nordon, and Jude Law. As great as the as story and acting may be, the star of the show here is the style and world Anderson creates. Throughout the film, Anderson centers a lot of his shots. This is considered Anderson's most signature thing he does in his films. He also has a lot of great pans and even some zooms. On paper, this does not sound too great. However like Anderson has always been able to do, he makes it work. Another notable thing about his style is just the simple details throughout the film. The sets created for the film are stellar and it is clear much thoughtful detail was put into everything in this movie. In terms of presentation, I was blown away. The Grand Budapest does have an R rating so parents, watch out for this. The main thing to be concerned about is the strong language and edgy humor. There is language throughout the movie but it never felt excessive. There is also very brief but very suggestive moments of sexuality. However, it is so quick, you could possibly miss it in a blink. The only other concern would be its slapstick but sometimes disturbing violence. In one sequence a man's fingers are cut off by a slamming door. However, it does not feel graphic. Overall, The Grand Budapest Hotel is a great film that makes me realize that movies still have to power to deliver something fresh.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenageMovieCritic10 May 31, 2014

A great movie appropriate for mature teens!

I saw this movie when I was 13, and it was not a problem. There was a brief sexual scene, however it flashed by so quickly you'd miss it if you blinked. There was a brief scene with an old woman's breasts shown, and an explicit painting of two lesbians. There is also cartoonish violence and quite a lot of swearing, but as long as your child knows not to use those words, he or she should be fine. To be honest, I got rather bored at first but then after a few minutes really got into it, and loved it so much I saw it twice. I'd recommend mature teens at 13 and above to view this excellent movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byStevie111 April 17, 2014

Funny, quirky comedy

This movie was actually quite good, funny, and a fairly mild R. There was a very brief sexual scene and some comic violence scattered throughout, along with some stronger language, but compared to most R rated movies, this wasn't so bad. The movie I would definitely recommend. I laughed quite a bit.
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014

Sexual content a some violence a brief nudity a language a some drug.
Teen, 16 years old Written byuv7 June 8, 2014

Teen, 13 years old Written byKrazyreviews April 16, 2014

Silly, comical, mature

The grand Budapest hotel is a great film with changed aspect ratio the director did on purpose. This silly comedy has some violence but it doesn't look real. There is brief language and a brief sexual drawing in this movie. The movie shows a message about loyalty and also shows good role models. Overall I enjoyed it.
Adult Written bychristian2011 December 31, 2014

Quirky, flamboyant and brilliantly written script.

The Grand Budapest Hotel, what can I say really. It's definitely one of the most eccentric, yet highly imaginative yet poignant, movies I've seen this year. The plot is complex, yet not too overwhelming in it's complicated manner, and so creative - reminded me of the Three Stooges vibe. The characters had their own original intellectual quality. For a comedy drama genre, it does contain quite intense sequences of violence, which is frivolous and cartoonish in nature, which significantly lowers the intensity, yet still bloody and graphic. The language is the biggest concern in the film, multiple uses of f**k, god***n, and sh*t. There are images of a sexual nature and crude references, yet no actual sex revealed in the film.
Written byAnonymous October 10, 2014

Cartoonish tale is stunning and funny

My rating:R for sexual content,smoking and comic violence
Teen, 14 years old Written byRedfire August 5, 2014

Masterpiece

Everything about this movie is amazing. Including the acting, writing, story and directing. There is a brief scene of a topless old woman onscreen for literally half a second. A painting of a lesbian sex scene. Some sex talk, nothing to worry about, however you may want to tell your younger children to close their eyes when the painting comes up. The painting is when they go to see boy with apple, they hang it up. The language is mild and infrequent, if your child is past the third grade, they hear it less frequent at school. Only like ten or eleven uses of the f word. The violence isn't frequent, but when the violence comes, it can be pretty violent. I will not spoil it fr you though. The drinking is mild, only like one or two scenes. A man is scene smoking a cigarette in the begging though, he puts it away after a few puffs. This movie is a masterpiece you will love it. My suggested MPAA rating : R for language, incuding sexual references, brief nudity and some bloody violence
Adult Written by458540 May 25, 2014
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 December 27, 2014

Quirky, as per Mr. Anderson

This might be Wes Anderson's darkest movie to date, and perhaps one of his best! Though "Fantastic Mr. Fox" will always hold a near place in my heart, there are a lot of humorous moments and surprises onscreen for the whole duration. The fun and whimsy (a good word CSM!) he brings with nearly every scene is quite enjoyable. Among the ensemble of too many to name, Ralph Fiennes as lead M. Gustave is delightful, punctuating Anderson's words with a profanity or two to keep you on your toes. While the script's a bit complicated, it all unfolds rather like a colorful little piece of candy. The score is great, and the cinematography and art direction are so intriciately put together, like Anderson has OCD about his shots being symmetrical. It's a fun time, and there's only some swearing and a few sexual images.