All member reviews for The Great Debaters

Inspiring true story confronts racism head-on.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJJT April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 November 6, 2009

One of the best movies of 2007

It looks like a real boring film just from the title and subject matter of it, but it truly is a fantastic film that shows racism the door, and proving that you can achieve anything if you put enough effort into it. Definitely not for children by any means.
Teen, 13 years old Written bys131313 April 15, 2009

Adult Written bymoviemadness February 1, 2009

Absolutely Phenomenal

The Great Debaters is without doubt one of the best movies ever made. The journey of the four young people as they confront the world is exciting and inspiring. The messages, of course, are excellent. Each character is intelligent and driven, and the themes of confidence, sticking up for what is right, and perserverence are superb. On a content note, the violence is phsychologically disturbing and deeply saddening. The sex scene is breif and romantic. Altogether, the film is best for teenagers, as younger kids won't really understand what's going on.

This was a great educational movie!

This Movie teaches a lot about how evil racism is. it lets you know how hard it was even for kids and teens. they language and violence in this movie is needed to make the viewers fully understand how terrible it is. Younger kids would not understand this so 11+
Adult Written byterra100 April 9, 2008

great movie worth paying money for

My husband and I saw this movie at a Hollywood industry screening before it was released to the general public. We thought it was a fantastic movie that leaves you feeling like it was worth your money. The story and acting are stellar. The movie makes you think hard about the type of person you are and the struggles of black history in the U.S. (I'm white and my husband is Mexican). As a parent, I probably wouldn't take my 13 year old girl, but I wouldn't disagree letting my 17 year old son watch this movie. Although this movie is rated PG-13, it has a lot of talking and the theme is for an audience that can handle more critical thought and get enjoyment out of it. There's one sex scene, but it doesn't show any nudity -- it's in dark lighting under the sheets -- but it happens. There's a lynching scene, which could be shocking for a younger person -- though the scene shows the end of the lynching, not the actual lynching. Letting an older teenager see this film could actually prove beneficial in demonstrating how unfair black segregation was -- lest we all forget.
Adult Written byChessMandingo April 9, 2008

This is a Must See Movie...for all Ethnicities...

My header says it all. Based on a true story in a time in history our country would like to forget, understandably so. This movie has a very strong cast to include some new faces like Denzel Whitaker (wonder who influenced his parents) amoung others. Sorry I'm tired and usually more elequant than this but as I stated in my opend sentence....The Header Says it All...
Teen, 15 years old Written byBlackSheep15 February 18, 2015

Phenomenal Film

This has been my favorite film for years. The acting is top-notch, the story is true and inspiring and it's just an overall amazing film. There is a short sexual scene and a few curse words, but other than that, it's totally appropriate! Everyone should watch this movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byben16 May 14, 2014

heroic

this movie is one the best and most heartwarming movies that I have ever seen. it is based in the time were blacks were discriminated for there skin color. there is a all black college with four amazing student that can debate there hearts out. there is a slightly gruesome seen were a black man was lynched but that scene just explains that even in the movie the debates are going great but there was still horrible times back then. the reason that I give this movie appropriate for ages 10 and up is because I personally would be okay watching this movie at that age and still know what was happening. over all it was a fantastic movie.
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... May 12, 2014

The great debaters

This is a great movie that presents good world views. This movie is about a black debate team that eventually has to debate Harvard. There is a graphic seen of a black person being lynched and a sex scene.the quality is amazing. Overall a great movie.
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2014

An inspiring movie

The Great Debaters takes place in the 1930's so there is a lot of racism in the movie. A very intelligent teacher named Melvin Tolson has his own debate team at a black college called Wiley College. They travel around debating against other colleges. It doesn't matter what color you are because all people were created equal. I thought that the movie was great. In the movie their is some disturbing parts like a bloody beat up guy and a man being linched. In conclusion, the movie is a must see movie and it was great.
Teen, 13 years old Written byellie_w23 May 5, 2014

An Excellent Film :)

The Great Debaters is a film that has a lot of racism only because the story line is based upon the early 1930's and as you know, that wasn't a very comforting time in history. In this movie, there is a African American man, who is not only a very intelligent teacher, but he also has his own debate team for Wiley college. The group of students on the debate team are very intelligent and they all know their facts very well! This film has some minor scenes that might disturb you slightly, and there is one scene with a tiny bit of inappropriate (adult stuff). The Great Debaters is a good movie not only because of the story line, but the way that the characters in the movie never gave up. They may have stormed when they got frustrated, but they didn't give up. All in all, this film is very inspiring and I would rate it 12 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMiami.heat23 May 5, 2014

Great debate

The great debate was an amazing movie. It was about a debate team that was undefeated. They get invited to debate with a wight collage named Harvard they struggle though that, but in the end the win. There's unpleasing scenes so I would be carful who you let watch the movie.
Kid, 11 years old May 5, 2014

Challenges of racism

The great debtors is a movie of three African American debaters debating big time American colleges on there way they see many forms of racism that make them work harder but show emotion. A great movie and life changing experience.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonkaylyn9110 May 5, 2014

LEARNING

The great debaters

The great debaters is a fantastic show where dark colored people go around to different schools to compete in debates. In the midst of all the debating thereis raciest influences including linching dark skinned people and hanging them. The teacher is involved in a group that is trying to stop the racism and almost gets caught. The world view would be that there was a lot of racism and hatred for dark colored people. They could see that people were cruel to innocent people.they would also see that debating was very stressful. If you were dark skinned back then it was really hard for them to debate because white skinned people would not let them on to their campus. The make of this video was great it was really cool how they made it seem as if there were no camera at all. The quality of the film was good it didn't glitch or blurr at all. In all I think that the great debaters was a great movie and everyone should watch it.
Kid, 12 years old May 5, 2014

The Great Debaters

This movie is spectacular, it shows how these group of college kids debate at several colleges and universities. This movie also shows the life of black people in 1930. These college kids become a great debate team and travel the county doing debates, and when they get invited to white colleges the team gets rattled. The one who was the youngest debate team member show the most integrity out of all the others, was Mr. James Farmer jr. He is a great role model, and sets a good example. When the debate team goes to Harvord they think they got it all planned out, but they choose a new topic which worries the team. But you'll have to see the movie to see how it plays out. The worldview of the movie is courage, integrity, moral disobedience, and to show the life of a black man in the late 1930s. It is a great life lesson even though it shows some sexual seems and drinking, it doesn't promote it. It has many funny scenes that I enjoyed, and important topics. The quality of the movie is really good the camera shots were great, the acting was amazing, it had a scene of a lynched man, and some other disturbing scenes, but besides that, the movie was great I enjoyed it, and I hope you do too
Teen, 13 years old Written byDaddy's girl May 4, 2014

Accept that we are all the same.. human wise

The Great Debaters was a Fantastic movie. It is about a group of black college kids on a debate team in the 1930’s. They debate at a bunch of different schools and learn that they are pretty good at it. After winner a lot of debates Harvard asks if they are willing to debate their team. Through all this the kids are dealing with racism, hatred, and life’s trials. At one point they come across white men lynching a black man. There is some swearing, drinking, partying, and sexual stuff. This is a mst see though. The Worldview of this movie is that all people are the same no matter what color your skin is. We are all human and we al were created by the same person. We all need to accept each other as we are. There is no right or wrong way of looking, but there is a right and wrong way of thinking. The quality of the film is Excellent. The director did an awesome job, the cameramen were great, and the actors were phenomenal! Overall Amazing movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJay876 May 4, 2014

The great debate

The great debaters is a very we'll made movie thats about a boy who goes to collage at the age of 14 he decides that he wants to debate he try's out and bazoob you have to watch it there's one seen that does not need to be thar but it is even though it's a great movie Are you great or not
Teen, 14 years old Written byFaith Andreasen May 2, 2014

Overcoming trials of life in the 1930s...

The Great Debaters is a great movie about African Americans overcoming racism and archiving a debate they'd never have a chance of winning. The movie has some sexual content and a few harsh words. But other than that it is a great lesson for people to believe in yourself and to always tell the truth. While they are working up to the top of the debates they go through something horrific and terrifying and an example is when they were going home from one of their debates they got to a road and a group of resist people lynching a black man. In the Bible it says that everyone is the same outside but it doesn't matter what you look like it matters what's in your heart and what you believe in. I give this movie a four good stars because it's story and worldview . I hope you enjoy and learn a lot by the movie...!
Teen, 13 years old Written byGrantmax18 May 2, 2014

I debate !!!!

the great debaters is a movie about an African American college in the north of Texas and a troop of African Americans come together to debate other colleges that African Americans should be allowed to go to white colleges and have rights.