All member reviews for The Great Debaters

Inspiring true story confronts racism head-on.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 November 6, 2009

One of the best movies of 2007

It looks like a real boring film just from the title and subject matter of it, but it truly is a fantastic film that shows racism the door, and proving that you can achieve anything if you put enough effort into it. Definitely not for children by any means.
Adult Written byterra100 April 9, 2008

great movie worth paying money for

My husband and I saw this movie at a Hollywood industry screening before it was released to the general public. We thought it was a fantastic movie that leaves you feeling like it was worth your money. The story and acting are stellar. The movie makes you think hard about the type of person you are and the struggles of black history in the U.S. (I'm white and my husband is Mexican). As a parent, I probably wouldn't take my 13 year old girl, but I wouldn't disagree letting my 17 year old son watch this movie. Although this movie is rated PG-13, it has a lot of talking and the theme is for an audience that can handle more critical thought and get enjoyment out of it. There's one sex scene, but it doesn't show any nudity -- it's in dark lighting under the sheets -- but it happens. There's a lynching scene, which could be shocking for a younger person -- though the scene shows the end of the lynching, not the actual lynching. Letting an older teenager see this film could actually prove beneficial in demonstrating how unfair black segregation was -- lest we all forget.
Adult Written byAnthonyDMc April 9, 2008

A history of Americah vs Black

This movie was an hand up and all around great movie. It is a inspiring movie for kids and adults. It demonstrated how immoral people can be and it showed change. It was inspiring for American African to go to college and do well but realize it is not easy. Overall this movie is the best movie that both actors has done in their collection of flims.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlinaW. June 17, 2010

Tough subject matter and scenes of violence, sexual beheviour, don't take away from amazing lessons this movie teaches!

We watched this movie in school, that's how educational and powerful it is. Although there's a lot of violence, such as gun shots, lynching, and fist fights, as well as some sexual and squeamish scences, it doesn't take away from the powerful messages this movie presents about racism and acceptance. There are some great role models, such as Samantha, the first female member of the Wiley College debate team, and James Jr, who's attending college at the age of 14, and one of the brightest debaters on the team. Some stuff might be a little tough for younger kids to chew, like views on communism and scenes of rebellion and a barn burning resulting from it, but with a little bit of explaination and education on the topics, this movie proves to be very intresting and valuable in the lessons it teaches. This definetaly made my "Best Movies" list!
Teen, 13 years old Written bystinky April 9, 2008

Great movie

This was a great movie. I think kids should get an understanding of racism and know how they talked back then and realize how wrong it is. It is a great story line though. There are a few bad parts. When the man was being lynched and burned, I had to look away. I think that was the worst part of the movie. Other than that, the movie tells a lot about these African-American kids, their struggle against racism, and their struggle to maintain their friendship.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydavstern1500 October 11, 2011

Great, inspirational, sensational, must see

A little disturbing, violent images of African Americans. One was hung and burned. All in all, everyone over 12 should see it. The N word a few times.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJJT April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written bys131313 April 15, 2009

Adult Written bymoviemadness February 1, 2009

Absolutely Phenomenal

The Great Debaters is without doubt one of the best movies ever made. The journey of the four young people as they confront the world is exciting and inspiring. The messages, of course, are excellent. Each character is intelligent and driven, and the themes of confidence, sticking up for what is right, and perserverence are superb. On a content note, the violence is phsychologically disturbing and deeply saddening. The sex scene is breif and romantic. Altogether, the film is best for teenagers, as younger kids won't really understand what's going on.
Kid, 12 years old December 20, 2009

This did look like a boring movie but after I saw it I was very surprised.There are many parts many not be inappropriate for kids under the age of 12.

This was a great educational movie!

This Movie teaches a lot about how evil racism is. it lets you know how hard it was even for kids and teens. they language and violence in this movie is needed to make the viewers fully understand how terrible it is. Younger kids would not understand this so 11+
Adult Written bygray April 9, 2008

phenomonal movie-a keeper for sure

The acting in this movie is really great. Denzel does his usual excellent acting while the younger newer acters really do an equally convincing job, especially the young lady. I thought the movie was very accurate while being as tasteful as possible with the subject matter. This one will be at the top of my movie library.
Adult Written byChessMandingo April 9, 2008

This is a Must See Movie...for all Ethnicities...

My header says it all. Based on a true story in a time in history our country would like to forget, understandably so. This movie has a very strong cast to include some new faces like Denzel Whitaker (wonder who influenced his parents) amoung others. Sorry I'm tired and usually more elequant than this but as I stated in my opend sentence....The Header Says it All...
Teen, 15 years old Written byCinemaFanatic February 12, 2010

Incredible Movie for Mature Teens

This fantastic movie does deal with racism, and it gives you a clear understanding what African-Americans went through during that time. As for violence, there is an extremely disturbing scene of a lynched man, and some fighting. Plus, all in all, the movie is very deep and intense. The sex scene is very breif, so it's nothing too bad. The only language issues are the use to bad words to describe African Americans, but when you take the times into consideration, it's not too shocking. The movie is too mature for young children, but great for adults and older teens. Definately worth watching. The performances are fantastic too.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBlackSheep15 February 18, 2015

Phenomenal Film

This has been my favorite film for years. The acting is top-notch, the story is true and inspiring and it's just an overall amazing film. There is a short sexual scene and a few curse words, but other than that, it's totally appropriate! Everyone should watch this movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byben16 May 14, 2014

heroic

this movie is one the best and most heartwarming movies that I have ever seen. it is based in the time were blacks were discriminated for there skin color. there is a all black college with four amazing student that can debate there hearts out. there is a slightly gruesome seen were a black man was lynched but that scene just explains that even in the movie the debates are going great but there was still horrible times back then. the reason that I give this movie appropriate for ages 10 and up is because I personally would be okay watching this movie at that age and still know what was happening. over all it was a fantastic movie.
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... May 12, 2014

The great debaters

This is a great movie that presents good world views. This movie is about a black debate team that eventually has to debate Harvard. There is a graphic seen of a black person being lynched and a sex scene.the quality is amazing. Overall a great movie.
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2014

An inspiring movie

The Great Debaters takes place in the 1930's so there is a lot of racism in the movie. A very intelligent teacher named Melvin Tolson has his own debate team at a black college called Wiley College. They travel around debating against other colleges. It doesn't matter what color you are because all people were created equal. I thought that the movie was great. In the movie their is some disturbing parts like a bloody beat up guy and a man being linched. In conclusion, the movie is a must see movie and it was great.
Teen, 13 years old Written byellie_w23 May 5, 2014

An Excellent Film :)

The Great Debaters is a film that has a lot of racism only because the story line is based upon the early 1930's and as you know, that wasn't a very comforting time in history. In this movie, there is a African American man, who is not only a very intelligent teacher, but he also has his own debate team for Wiley college. The group of students on the debate team are very intelligent and they all know their facts very well! This film has some minor scenes that might disturb you slightly, and there is one scene with a tiny bit of inappropriate (adult stuff). The Great Debaters is a good movie not only because of the story line, but the way that the characters in the movie never gave up. They may have stormed when they got frustrated, but they didn't give up. All in all, this film is very inspiring and I would rate it 12 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMiami.heat23 May 5, 2014

Great debate

The great debate was an amazing movie. It was about a debate team that was undefeated. They get invited to debate with a wight collage named Harvard they struggle though that, but in the end the win. There's unpleasing scenes so I would be carful who you let watch the movie.