All member reviews for The Great Gatsby

Teen, 16 years old Written bySean Broucek May 14, 2013

AWESOME

This gorgeous, brilliant hollywood update is sure to wow audiences with it's acting, lush style, and killer soundtrack, but may be too mature for 14-. There is excessive drinking, partial nudity, violent content, smoking, overwhelming parties, sexual material, and language. There is sexual intercourse, flirting, seduction, kissing, sme female buttocks shown during a sex scene, and a female breast flashed. Adults drink to excess, and there is two murders, one with a car, another with a pistol. Language includes one use of the N word. I would rate this PG-13 For Brief Violent Images, Sexuality And Some Nudity, Drinking, Language & Partying
Kid, 10 years old May 10, 2013

Cool

Teen, 14 years old Written byAbigail Fletcher May 11, 2013

The Great Gatsby- Spot On Perfection

*I DO POSSIBLY GIVE AWAY SPOILERS, SO IF YOU SO NOT KNOW THE PLOT LINE OF THIS STORY YOU MAY POSSIBLY LEARN THINGS YOU DID NOT PREVIOUSLY KNOW* I am a young person who read and absolutely loved this book, and I can most certainly say the same about this movie. I've discussed this book with a few others who have seen it, like my mom (who went with me to see the premiere of the movie I had talked about and anticipated for so long) and we both agreed Baz Luhrmann took a risk with the music, but we both agree that risk was well worth it. The modern music and soundtrack gave the movie (set in the '20s) a nice modern flair that younger people would most certainly be able to connect to. I have absolutely no complaints about this movie, and I have referred to it to many people as "spot on" to the book. I chose to mark the "positive role models " box, as Gatsby himself as well as Nick Carraway had qualities that inspire people to do kind things for people, and also to believe in themselves and in others. I also checked the "positive message" box, as this movie teaches children to believe in things out of the ordinary, especially things that aren't necessarily very common to believe in, and no matter what other people believe of those things. However fantastic I may believe this movie is, I felt the need to check the box for sexuality, as this movie is somewhat centered around a couple (Tom and Daisy Buchanan) who are each having an affair behind the other one's back, as well as the love between Gatsby and Daisy (which tends to become a bit graphic at times; something, although somewhat vulgar, the movie could not be without). The final thing I have chosen for this movie would be the drinking and smoking. To me, being a member of society's youth, the schools have done an amazing job of teaching us to beware these things, which is why I personally, do not have a problem with this concept of the story. Nick Carraway gives a small prelude to the story, and he says "New York, 1922. The world was changing~ Buildings were taller, parties were bigger, morals were looser and THE LIQUOR WAS CHEAPER". This raises a red flag to many parents, but it should not. After the prohibition on alcohol was lifted, liquor and drinking, as well as smoking, was a big part of nearly everybody's lives. Many characters, including Daisy, Jordan, as well as Tom and several others smoke, but this was common back then (before people knew the dangers of tobacco and alcohol), and Luhrmann chose to play this movie as true to the time as possible. However, I believe everyone should see this movie, and I believe it is a wonderful thing for people above the age of thirteen should defiantly see.
Kid, 10 years old May 11, 2013

Cool

Teen, 15 years old Written byiPunk May 11, 2013

Looking at a rich person negatively is something we don't normally do

People said that Gatsby murdered somebody, when he actually did not. But the thing was, Gatsby was very rich. There are stereotypes that say the opposite, like that the rich are snobs, or sometimes we let them get away with more. In real life, the lie about the murder might be about somebody who is homeless. Homeless people are looked at very negatively in real life. There are things like they always are alcoholics, or that homeless people don't have a life. There is one shooting scene. And a scene of a woman being hit by a car. There is some alcohol but no people being drunk.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovie loving teen May 12, 2013

A perfect adaption to one of the best american tales.

I was surprised by this movie I wasn't sure what to expect with the first remake being awful and all. But this was 100 times better and it followed the book very well. This movie is highly sexual and has partial nudity. Constant drinking and smoking and heavy partying. Not a lot of bad language and one pretty violent scene but still a hard PG-13. This has the positive message as in it proves that our image is what makes us who we are even though we are not what our image makes. The best movie of the year so far, 3.Oz: The Great and Powerful, 2.Evil Dead, 1.The Great Gatsby
Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE May 12, 2013

The Great Gatsby is a Phenomenal Movie but Hard to Tell if its Appropriate for a certain age

The movie was an AMAZING movie with a great soundtrack, storyline, and visuals and it's true to the book but there are some iffy scenes. There are two sex scenes but nothing is shown that is over the top. There's a scene in which many people get drunk and some have sex in an outrageous party scene but that is as worse as it gets. The entire movie is about couples having affairs, so their is many discussions about that. Also, there are some violent images such as people committing suicide. The party scenes are crazy and many people get drunk but its nothing a mature thirteen year old can't handle, such as my-self. If you tween or teen is mature and has read the book, I think its fine, though many people have different views on this movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 May 18, 2013

A dandy tale, old sport!

Amazingly, being a junior in high school, we haven't read "The Great Gatsby." We did watch half of the 1970s version with Robert Redford, which was dry toast compared to Baz Luhrmann's lavish, enormous American epic about the myth that is Jay Gatsby. With out a point of reference, I can tell you I wholeheartedly loved this film, with it's gigantic scope and rousing performances that seem extracted from the roaring 20s themselves!
Teen, 13 years old Written bydancer4life11 August 1, 2013

Great Gatsby - A Great Period Movie!

This movie was amazing. I just loved it, and so did my mom (who had read the book beforehand). I have to agree that it glorified drinking, smoking, and sex. But you have to remember that this movie is set in the Roaring 20's. This is a time when all the rules about marriage got looser. When it comes to drinking, this is the time of Probation, when alcohol was, for the majority, banned. Since this movie was based on the rich New York party crowd I'm the 1920's, this movie was very accurate. Language wise, there is quite a few d**n's and some h*lls but nothing more than that. There is some scenes that imply people are having affairs but nothing more than their shoulders up shown. For violence, a man beats his wife and another thing happens that I won't share because of spoilers. But nothing to intense. People drink and smoke (cigars, cigarettes) at the parties and some are shown to be drunk. This movie is very thought provoking and is so much more than a romance. You will leave the theater thinking, "What just happened." You get completely sucked into the movie and the ending leave you bewildered. I whole-heartily give this movie 5 stars!
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 June 2, 2013

Not even Leonardo Dicaprio could save this movie

“The Great Gatsby truly does have a good costume design and a truly convincing performance by Leonardo Dicaprio as Jay Gatsby; but overall there are a lot of problems with the movie. For one, the party scenes last way too long and the soundtrack (By Jay Z) that accompanies the scenes are way too modern and out of place (especially since they didn’t have rap music back then). Secondly the pace and length was overdone, drawn out and poorly conceived to the maximum capacity. Lastly the Directing, camera shots and character development were disappointing. The characters were two dimensional and not fleshed out (they were in the book). So in the end, The Great Gatsby is a visual feast, but it is a disappointment that is ultimately (very) forgettable. I do not recommend this movie.”
Teen, 15 years old Written byachilds13 August 6, 2013

Groundbreaking and Beautiful

DiCaprio is wonderful yet again!! In this beautiful classic remake, it shows viewers the bad (Daisy and Tom) and the good role models (Nick and Gatsby). There is a bit of language and sexual content, but older tweens and teens can handle it. Kids aren't as immature and oblivious as you may think. This movie really is magical...and great.
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2013

Gatsby gets updated well

I LOVED this movie. i went with my parents, and they wanted it to be more true to the book, with better music and such. me, I thought it was a clever adaptation to a fun classic, which i have not read. i thought some of the music was unoriginal, but i loved seeing the other side (the 20's side) of some of my favorite pop artists. i think the music narrated it well. there is some tricky plot confusion, but i do like the story. i liked Gatsby's eccentricity, the way people knew them, but they didnt, the way he appeared to be just another guest. the end was sad, though. i was a little confused by the way the story was told, it was like tony mcguire was mental, and gatsby had driven him to it. but overall, i loved this movie. i think that some of the concepts could be a little weird, such as the context of the affair, but once you understand all of the issues, it is quite a charming movie
Teen, 15 years old Written byCoolrockboy3 September 6, 2013

Great Movie, but may bore some People

"The Great Gatsby" (Based off of F. Scott Fitsgerald's Classic Novel) is an amazing movie, though may seem incredibly boring for some people. There is a lot of hard partying which includes a large amount of drinking, from both main and unnamed characters. One or two of the main characters smoke. Some sexual content which can easily be skipped through if a child under the age of 12 and wants to watch it. There is basically a love triangle throughout the movie that may concern parents, and bore kids. There is some of violence. Bloody aftermath of a car crash. All in all I give "The Great Gatsby" 4 Stars but I think maybe anyone 13+ could see it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybel8910 July 22, 2013

Brilliant Movie for Teens and Older

I thought this movie was absolutely brilliant, and did a very good job at sticking to the book. It probably isn't appropriate for children, but it's definitely a lovely movie if you're older.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoelopez June 23, 2013

Good in bits but overall boring

It is fine for kids. There is no sex, swearing and very little violence. But it probably won't interest kids and pre-teens . The movie was good in parts. But most of it was boring and slow paced. It's all costumes and special effects. All the characters are sad about their lives. Some parts it seemed like Baz was just trying to make up some story line that was semi interesting. The ending dragged on and on. But some parts were interesting. The parts with Leo were interesting. If you do see it, see it in 3d because it is worth 3d. Overall just Google images of the movie and see the costumes.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjm97 May 19, 2013

Beautiful, the newest masterpiece.

I am huge fan of the book, so I was nervous to see how this remake would turn out, as the 1974 version was terrible. It was fantastic. Luhrmann nailed all of the characters, especially Daisy. It was evident that he had consulted the book many times throughout the making of this film, because it followed the storyline of the novel incredibly accurately. I was also impressed with the imagery in the movie, every place looked exactly as I pictured in my head. One thing that I was especially appreciative of was how Gatsby's introspective towards Daisy was emphasized. He spends all these years building her up to the point that he is elevating her from a human being to an idea, so when he sees her again, all of his plans come crashing down when she does not live up to his expectations. Overall this is movie is ok for anyone to see other than one very subtle sex scene. One thing that must be pointed out though is that these people are not in any way role models. This movie is meant to showcase very flawed people, and that it does.
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

Dazzling

Violence- 3 (A man slaps a girl, a girl is run over and SPOILER ALERT, Gatsby is shot violently) Sex- 3 (Lots of sexual dancing and some rude scenes) Drinking, drugs and smoking- 2 (A character is very drunk)
Kid, 10 years old August 22, 2014

the great gatsby movie review

this movie is fine for 13 and older because of some swearing, partying, drinking. but a great movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byJimmy brew July 20, 2014

Emotional drama is for mature teens only.

My rating:R for violent images and sexuality
Teen, 14 years old Written byCurmagicwithin June 7, 2014

I hated this movie!

THis movie was just terrible, it was so long and the story was just on going, not even Leo could save this movie!