All member reviews for The Great Outdoors

Good cast can't help lame man vs. nature farce.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew February 19, 2015

A very goofy movie. Dumb teens only.

My rating: PG-13 for crude sexual humor
Kid, 12 years old June 14, 2014

hilarious

I watched this movie and I couldn't stop laughing. But there is a lot of bad words. There is a scene where a man is looking out his window and a giant bear is growling and snarling at the man. There is a few kisses and hugs. Two little girls fall down a mine and are trapped down in the mine with a bear. Watch this movie, it is so funny!
Adult Written bywonder dove November 24, 2012

SO funny!!!

80's films are so much fun! I first watched this with my family when I was pretty young (maybe around 7) and enjoyed it. We all love John Candy - so I own most of his films (Uncle Buck is another favorite!). I have to say, very hilarious movie! The laughs are continuous and the story is very fun and adventurous. It starts off with a family of four who are going on a summer vacation together in a remote cabin in the woods. When all things seem perfect, their rich in-laws and their two very awkward children pay them a surprise visit. Chet (John Candy) doesn't get along too well with Roman Craig (Dan Aykroyd) so his vacation nightmare begins with a number of hilarious events. This wouldn't be appropriate for kids under 10 because of language mainly, but everything is done in humor. Language has a lot of common name calling type words, but no "f" words that I recall. Sexual content is fairly mild and brief - two teens flirt and kiss in several scenes (like an innocent teen romance). A teen boy almost accidentally hits a girl in the butt with his pool cue stick. Chet humorously starts to undress his wife in the kitchen when the kids are at the lake, but are quickly interrupted. Two women talk about getting pleasure out of a washing machine during its spin cycle. A few funny jokes that will pass over young kids heads. Some smoking. Violence is mainly fantasy type frightening stuff - bears climbing on cars while people are inside them, a gun shot whisks the hair of a bears butt (the bear is not hurt, just distraught), bear chasing scenes, and a very scary bear story that Chet tells his family (he tells it so realistically!), a scary storm has two sisters missing and later found in an underground tunnel where a bear lives. A bat invades the cabin and has everyone running. Roman smashes Chet in the face with a weapon while trying to catch the bat. A man who stutters says he got hit by lightening 66 times (one lightening scene shown). Chet water ski's and runs into a few things. That sort of thing - very funny stuff! A must watch when you need a good laugh or cheering up. Ages 10+ for language and frightening situations.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byBret Friend January 28, 2011

Hilarious!

My son said there is no way that you could watch this movie without laughing. It was hilarious!!!
Kid, 10 years old December 12, 2010

Not Good

It was a very stupid movie, but I saw it when I was 9 and didn't really care or anything. There is one scene where a couple is hugging and the husband unclips her bra, which is shown hanging off her finger when a group of people come in. A man talks about twin sisters as 'expecting their heads to spin around and for them to puke pea soup', obviously referring to the Exorcist.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper October 31, 2010

This movie is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, but if it came out today it would definately be PG-13. Mild to moderate swearing shows up like every 5 minutes including one scene where variations on the phrase "blow it out of your @$$" was said a dozen or so times. There is also some mild sexual discussion such as a lady describing pleasuring herself with a washing machine.
Kid, 11 years old April 9, 2010

Surprising

The Great Outdoors is a funny movie that my dad recommended for me. We bought it at Blockbuster and we were surprised at the amount of language. There is everything but F-words in this movie. Also, in the beginning there is a scene of foreplay that is interrupted by Aykroyd's family. There is some teen kissing, too. It is a VERY funny movie, but be aware of the language before you let kids watch this movie.