All member reviews for The Green Mile

Thoughtful, intelligent movie for older teens.

Teen, 16 years old Written byToTheEights January 2, 2010

If you can handle the fiery, prolonged execution of one character, you're fine.

A wonderful movie, moving, brilliant and subtle. It is violent and Percy's a horrible character-- honestly one of the worst I've ever seen-- but overall it's a very positive and surprisingly uplifting tearjerker that makes the viewer take a second look at their own lives.
Kid, 11 years old October 8, 2011

Best Movie Ever!

I just watched this film last night, and I was absolutely mesmorized. It is no doubt, my favourite film. It has got and extravagent storyline, brilliant acting and the script is awesome. Although, I don't think it is suitable for kids, unless they are very, very mature. There is one scene in which a certain character is executed, but a wet sponge was not placed on the victim's head, and so, he literally frazzled to death. There is just screaming for that whole 2 mins. Very graphic, I think that if you were to let your child watch this, definately leave out that scene. Some other violence, including a man being shot several times, bloody marks on his chest, and there is also an upsetting scene in which the main character ( well, one of them), is executed. There are some sexual references, and a sex scene, although it is heard, for about 10 seconds, and not seen. Some swear words, f*** about 7 times, the word n*gg*r is used against John Coffey, mostly spoken by 'Wild Bill'. There are some references to a man raping and killing two little girls, but the actual rape is not seen. Viewers, even adults, will probably cry at this film, as it is extraordinary at really making you feel a part of it. I reccomend for about teens, maybe younger if your child is really, really mature. Thanks for reading. :)
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul April 9, 2008

What a movie...

From the very beginning, this movie feels different-- which is a good thing. It can be hard to capture an audience so completely without action or whatnot, but The Green Mile delivers in spades. We are introduced to very distinct and realistic characters, and the acting is absolutely superb. Don't let the fact that this movie garnered none of the Oscars it was nominated for put you off-- this movie more than deserved all of them. All the way to the goosebump-inducing ending, The Green Mile is the most astounding movie of the year, and gets my vote for favorite movie ever. SEE IT!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byAdam K May 28, 2012

Intense But Brilliant Follow Up To 'Shawshank'

The film is incredibly intense. There a moments in it which made me cringe, and moments which made me weep. When the 'Mile' was first released stories of grown men crying in the cinema circulated widely, because they were true. Violent, but powerfully uplifting and excellent acting, direction and script. If you can handle it, it is a must see.
Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2009

Not recommended for under 11, or for sensitive people.

Apparently, this movie got a reputation for being better than the book. I can not say that, considering I have not read the book. But I can say that this is the best movie I have ever seen! It is my top favourite! Tom Hanks, David Morse, and Michael Clarke Duncan in their finest roles! However, there is some mild suggestive sexual content including parents finding there daughters raped and bloody in the arms of John Coffey. But that and the execution are the only really bad scenes. Not recommended for sensitive people (I cried at the end). This movie is surely a masterpiece, and I will kill the people who didn't give any awards! You hear that? NO AWARDS!
Adult Written byChris LP April 9, 2008

Very Intense, Moving Film

Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Perfectly good

Even if sometimes you can barely understand what the people are saying!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNicky0250 July 5, 2015

If you can handle a mouse getting stepped on, a brutal electrocution and a bit of blood, you're fine

Absolutely fantastic film , but when Percy shoots Wild Bill it contains Robocop levels of blood
Teen, 15 years old Written byeazy__breezy June 13, 2015

Great movie, but not for anyone under 14

This movie is really good, but emotional, disturbing, violent and hard to follow (mature). Its not a film that most teens can't handle, but it is very mature and deep, and also has a very disturbing death scene, which is why its probably best for 14 and up. 13 is borderline
Adult Written bymattbruns3 May 24, 2015

A very good movie but more for older kids and teens.

This movie is emotional to some people. I think that older kids would like it but the younger kids probably will not. However if they are under 16 they should be supervised.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoltenskull February 14, 2015

Show this to any kid/person who says that they don't cry during movies.

Parents, please note that if you show your kids this movie then prepare for a lot of crying because this is quite possibly the saddest movie ever made. In terms of iffy stuff this movie does not have much, accept for one incredibly graphic and terrifying execution scene (A man purposely sabotages it so that the guys death is much more painful and long) that I actually cried during. There is also some language and a couple racial slurs. A sadistic guard brakes a guys hand and stomps on another mouse, he is also the guy who sabotaged the execution. He gets his crotch grabbed by a death-row inmate. This movie is one of the greatest ever made and everybody needs to watch it at least once. 10/10
Teen, 13 years old Written byEl capitan waddles August 25, 2014

Excellent excellent movie with a compelling and beautiful storyline

Amazing movie truly beautiful I fine piece of art. Brigs a tear to most peoples eyes unless you have a heart of stone. There are a couple of disgusting execution scenes especially Ed's hated Percy so much so so much and was happy when he died and took out the other person hated but uh amazing storyline really beautiful and thoughtful I suggest this movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byJesse Butin April 29, 2014

Amazing

Great movie, but not for the easily disturbed.
Kid, 12 years old March 9, 2014

Made me cry like a baby

Its not everyday that I cry while watching a movie, but The Green Mile made me want to sob! It was one of the most emotional movies I had ever seen, but I even had to cover my eyes and mute the TV during the grueling electric chair scenes. The film had some really scary executions, I wish I could have watched this at an older age, but it taught a very valuable lesson that I keep in mind every day. The main plot is pretty depressing, but I don't regret watching this movie, at all. I'm glad that my parents discussed this movie with me, because I had to give them a big hug and cry on their shoulders after it finished. Take it from me, if kids can't take violent/death scenes, wait until they are older to show them this movie, it will teach them some really important messages.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe June 11, 2013

Fine movie

I watched the full movie and it was okay. I remember hearing a few uses of n***er in this movie. When I saw the execution of John Coffey, I wasn't startled; it took me a step closer to being ready for R-rated movies.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCarbarrawr March 8, 2013

Borderline 14 years old, language absolutely terrible.

Violence - This shows moderate violence including a man slowly getting electrocuted to death, a man getting shot multiple times, and some more. Sex - There is minor sex included once where it just shows the outside of the house and noises. Then they speak of it afterwards, but nothing major. Language - The language is absolutely horrific and if I could rate it 1-10 I would rate it a 9. The themes of this are kind of dark and watching the other prisoners can be a bit disturbing. Overall I would rate this borderline 14 years old, maybe 15.
Kid, 10 years old November 27, 2012

Good but violent and scary hard to understand language very hard words

Teen, 15 years old Written byCheetah-Licious0900 November 22, 2012

Scary Scenes....

I do not think this movie is appropriate at all because, it shows killing, raping and kidnapping. When the two young caucasian girls get kidnapped by that ugly guy, that scarred me for life because i dream about that happening to me, and i don't want that. Also when he takes the black girl and rapes her and then has the nerve to return her to her family, all busted and bruised!!! He should've never touched her in the first place!! Or anybody for that matter!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAceguy Reviews April 28, 2012

The Green Mile can be oh so long.

I read the book recently and I've seen the movie five times and it definitly is one of the best stories ever. The film is truthfully not very heavy in most areas. There is a lot of cursing including racial slurs and there are a few sexual references. The violence is not traditional prison violence. Their are few inmates so there is a different type of violence. There is a scene where a man tries choking a guard and it is one of the more violent scenes. Not a very heavy scene though. An inmate's hand is broken by a guard. It isn't a very violent scene. A guard shoots an inmate to death, and an inmate innapropriatly touches a guard, again, very brief. The violence is not heavy or explicit and worse is found in common video games and most modern movies, such as The Dark Knight. There are three execution scenes in the film an one can be very scary for most viewers. A man is burned to a crisp. The other two are mild. There is really no drug use. The most adult aspect of the story is the story itself. The story is a very dramatic story about a man with the power of healing. It is a very emotional film that takes a humane person to watch it. Young people can see the conflicts and discuss the problems and become attached to the characters and feel the emotions of them. I recommend that anybody that has an understanding of life watch this film. If your child can handle a dramatic film then I think they should definitly see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenHorrorReviewer October 20, 2011

This masterpiece is a tear-jerker for mature pre-teens and teens

The Green Mile is one of the best Stephen King's book-movie adaptions I have ever seen. It is very moving and intense, and can be very disturbing at times. Especially the execution scene. And I will admit, I did cry. The movie will move you, make you laugh, give you heartbreak, and will make you cry. But it is very mature. Young children will not be able to handle the execution scene. My suggested MPAA rating, R: Disturbing violence, explicit pervasive language, sex-related material, and strong thematic content