Grisly ghost story lacks plot; not for tweens.

Teen, 14 years old Written byIronZombie75 August 26, 2009

for tweens and up

Very good horror movie however this may be one of THE SCARIEST movies in history so think before leting your 9 year olds watch it. very disturbing images and theme.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiluvtheexorcist33 November 23, 2011

it was fine :\

SPOILERS!!! very confusing, i didnt know what was goin on half the time. there were some scenes that made me jump,but i jump in almost any movie (narnia,happy feet lol). A suggestion 4 a good horror movie is the exorcist or the shining ( they're my favs).But there wasn't really anything wrong with this movie other than alot of the scenes the scary girl looked fake, to me anyway and that it was confusing, i didn't understand the story very much other than this girl had a crush on this guy and then her husband killed her and whenever any1 goes in the house they die, kinda like the ring i think.
Teen, 16 years old Written byScooby79 April 23, 2013

It is a creepy, scary ghost movie

I watched this when I was 11 and I was terrified! The girl is very unsettling and so is the boy. The sounds she makes are disturbing! This movie is very creepy. There is a scene where you see a girl without a lower jaw. It's not bloody, but it is gross looking. My advice now your kid because depending on what kid you have this could either be another horror movie or your kids three day long nightmare.
Kid, 11 years old January 18, 2014

ok but could be better

just ok. pretty scary though. good for teens. if you want to watch something like this though i prefer you'd watch the ring.
Adult Written bydudelydad2 April 9, 2008

great

this is a very spooky movie i like this movie because it was more scary than bloody and gory this was very intresting and had a good ending
Adult Written bypoiuytrewq April 9, 2008
pretty freaky depending on who you are. its always different for every person. for examplemy 8 yearold son watched this movie without a problem and yet my 32 year old friends watched it at the same time and they went through the roof at every scary scene. a good movie altogether.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFaz April 28, 2014

The Grudge

Throughout this whole film series, the plot has too much going on and often causes confusion with characters.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycgrace304 March 23, 2014

It was confusing.

This movie is scary at some parts but I watched it when I was 11 and I was fine. If you are easily scared I suggest 13 and up but if not then 11-12 and up should be fine. The movie was really confusing and didn't make much sense at all. It basically had no plot just a bunch of scary elements jumbled together. If you are looking for an excited movie dont watch this because a great idea was poorly executed and this movie is a waste of time.
Adult Written bywonder dove April 6, 2013

Uh, boring much?

I saw The Grudge when it first came out (I love Sarah Michelle Gellar) and somehow enjoyed it because I bought it shortly after. But watching it recently (nine years later) was an extreme bore fest and I couldn't understand how I even got through it before. There's hardly any talking and a lot of finding and discovering which made it super boring, no action what-so-ever, the "scary" scenes were funny and they went a little over the top with the grudge sounds they try to scare you with. Just bad, really dumb storyline. The ending was ridiculous. Just scenes of people fiddling around in the dark and then get killed one way or another, by the Grudge. Violence is gory, disturbing images and scenes of torture & suicide. Sexual content should not be 3 stars from CommonSense, there's basically nothing except an off-screen scene of a couple going to bed. Language is not very frequent, but a few curse words. Some smoking. I recommend The Grudge 2, if you want more of a scary story. This film is okay for 15+ crowd for gory violence!
Kid, 12 years old June 16, 2011

The Grudge

I saw this movie when I was 11 and personally, if your child is at a sleepover, you know that usually that there's a scary movie. I saw this at a sleepover with my friends and I do have to admit it is a great scare, it's probably one of the scariest films of all-time. It's extremley fun to watch this movie with friends, as a lot of horror films. I think that if you have a mature 12 year-old it's okay to let them see it. If they're 13 then, its pretty okay. If they're 14 they can definitley watch it. This movie is unlike a lot of scary movie NOW, which usually have extreme sexual content, language, and gore. This movie has minimal sexual content. Doesn't have a lot of language, it's appropraite for a soft PG-13. The gore is not that gory this movie leaves a lot to the imagination about how people die. I think that if you're child wants to see it and you know that they'll be able to handle it, you should let them see it. Great film.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycarter0617 November 4, 2010

what i say

super scary never bring kids under 16
Kid, 12 years old September 17, 2010

Noooo...

This movie was scary so if you're just watching it to be scared you should watch it. If you're going to watch it to be scared AND see a good film that's fast-paced, well acted and has a good script don't even bother. It was scary but it was also very boring and just dumb. I just bought Ju-On, the original, so we'll see how that goes.
Adult Written byjdomke1 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byRyan Haramoto June 26, 2016

Just... Great!!

I think that this movie is great because it has a strong female lead. I think that this movie sets a great example for women and men. Besides that this movie was scary and I mean scary. I highly recommend it for horror movie buffs.
Adult Written byMartin_Canine June 22, 2016

Excellent Japanese-American ghost story captures the spirit of the original, but has some gruesome imagery.

"The Grudge" is a remake of the japanese movie "Ju-On", both by director Takashi Shimizu. While it surely had its update for Western audiences, mostly due to American actors portraying the main characters, it stays true to its japanese origins, perfectly capturing the Asian atmosphere and appeal of its Tokyo setting. You have to give credit to the director for perfectly merging what makes Eastern horror special and what Western audiences view as exciting. In many ways, this is even better than the original movie this was inspired by. The atmosphere is a whole lot darker, the imagery more terrifying and grotesque, but most of all, the interwoven storylines are easier to follow. It features all of the best scenes from the original, but adds several new ones, all of which are presented in a pleasantly disturbing, creepy fashion. This is chilling thrill ride including two of Asia's best known horror icons, Kayako and Toshio. Shimizu made the best movie he could out of the American screenplay, but not without incorporatinh all the Japanese charms of the original. //// "The Grudge" is filled with an immense feeling of suspense throughout and includes some gruesome and horrifying images throughout, like a girl walking through the corridors lacking her lower jaw (graphic, gory and on-screen in both the rated and unrated versions, but the latter has the camera focusing longer). This scene is foreshadowed much earlier as the bloody missing jaw is found in the cellar. Kayako, a female ghost who frequently makes gruesome rattling noises, is sometimes seen crawling on the floor, her bloody body twitching in impossible ways. A man jumps to his death in the opening scene, we see his body lying on the ground in a puddle of blood. A bloody corpse is found. Several people are killed off-screen by the ghosts. The graphic nature of this scenes, as well as the intense and frightning atmosphere and constant feeling of threat in the air, make this suitable for mature teens and up. But then again, horror, like humour, is a terribly subjective thing.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySlendyDaMan June 14, 2016
Dunno how it's pg-13.
Teen, 16 years old Written byiawesome513 March 6, 2016

The grudge was scary but it was really stupid

Teen, 14 years old Written byMarcelo14 December 10, 2015

Ummm...

It's definitely scarier than The Ring, but not as interesting. Not for anyone under 15.
Adult Written byGabriel Mohler October 31, 2015

Boring and stupid.

I can't believe everyone likes this movie so much. There are very few scary scenes in it. It's too gloomy and slow. Personally, I found it to be an irritating waste of time.
Adult Written byjkauto March 1, 2015

Nice japanese horro adaptation

Although the film has some cliches that are prevalent many j-horror remakes- the film stands its ground as a solid and fresh horror movie. It mainly gets its scare from a tense atmosphere but can't help refraining from the occasional jump scare. The storyline is somewhat more of a mystery with strong horror elements- and as far as the content for kids goes, its find for any mature teen. Pretty much bloodless with just some disturbing imagery. Recommended for any horror buff.