Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Hate U Give

Powerful, thought-provoking drama about race, activism.

Adult Written byLayauuu October 6, 2018

Amazing

I believe that the hate you give is amazing for kids but over 10 this is because people are being racist and a girl named Starr did some something about it by making a protest believe me parents , the movie is fine others are being overrated

Adult Written byKiwi Sun123 October 4, 2018

Very iffy for 14 and under - great movie!

I read the book some time ago, I LOVED it, Angie Thomas is a wonder. The movie, just as good! The acting is sensational as well. I rated it 14 plus because girls and boys under 14 could feel pretty uncomfortable watching a scene unfold with a guy pulling out a condom and sort of urging sex with the protagonist...not that the character is a bad guy or anything but it's iffy to show kids that, and by the time you're 14, you sort get the message and you're aware of what's good and bad (sorta). So 14 is a good age to watch this. There are some pretty intense and scary (for kids) themes too. A good chunk of violence, including MANY gun related scenes, a HELL lot of cursing, many references to drugs, and people are shown drinking alcohol. I do want to mention that there are some great role models here, though, like Starr, and some of others, but there's also some really nasty people here and that's one of the reason why I rated it 14+, because a lot of kids feel influenced by some behavior and this movie has some bad influences (alongside good ones). Watch it, but I recommend only mid-teens.

Adult Written byjasons72 November 7, 2018

Positive messages

Amazing movie, and gave out really good messages.

Adult Written byAlaysiaKeyonna November 6, 2018

Superlative

This is the best movie I’ve seen all year! The acting is great! The movie film has an extraordinary gist . The message is so clear and the actors show so much clarity while presenting it.

Adult Written byGrotla October 26, 2018

Powerful!

I can't remember the last time a movie moved me like this. This was powerful. The story starts out a bit slow, with a teen-aged girl exploring her place in the world. After that it blows up into an extremely emotional trip through the challenge of living in a world that sees your very existence as a crime. It explores the choices people make when they really have no choices. It explores the courage it takes to just live your life in a world that won't make space for you. See this movie. It will change you.

Adult Written byPopularReviewer October 22, 2018

Stay Aware

I believe the book and the movie both give out great messages on racism and activism. I think it would be great for older kids around 12 and 13. You should probably go over this with your children after they watch it though, for it has some more adult content. Despite the sexual content ( which there is that much of, except on part of talking of condoms) and language (including the f-word, s-word, and b-word, and many others), the movie is great!

Adult Written byHeidiE 1 October 22, 2018

Great movie - phenomenal book.

My 13 year old and I read the book together and then saw the movie together. The movie has some sexual scenes, but nothing that our kids aren't aware happen and all were handled pretty well. The most shocking part of the movie was the shooting. Everyone around me jumped, even those of us expecting it. The movie is also very emotionally intense. There is a LOT to unpack in the movie and a lot of good conversations to have about race, police brutality, code-switching, systemic racism, and "nice people" racism. I will say, the book was much better at tackling these topics. The movie did an ok job portraying the book's message, but it disappointed me because it watered down the viewpoint the book was conveying in a seeming effort to cater to a wider and whiter audience. I still thought it was good to see and my daughter and I could have an extra conversation about why the movie would do that and how we felt about that. The acting was phenomenal and MANY MANY necessary conversations were still portrayed.

Adult Written byjenn.pdx October 15, 2018

Great conversation starter

Some mild sexual talk in the first 30 minutes, but nothing that my 11 year old hasn't already seen or heard at middle school. It also shows a strong female character denying consent and the males acknowledging and accepting, which I found to be educational. This movie is a fantastic conversation starter about multiple subjects- sex, consent, racial subjects and white privilege. HIGHLY recommend for middle school and older. See the movie with your child so that you can have those conversations!

Adult Written byChezTru October 14, 2018

Powerful...well-rounding

This movie was powerful, like amazingly powerful in so many ways! It is one of the only films that authentically portrays so many points of view in such a powerful way in the short amount of time that a movie has. I think this movie is important for families who want to have real conversations with their children. The movie is graphic in some instances (a few gun shot scenes or threats of violence) because of the subject matter that it is discussing but if you are interested in your children having a very well rounded view on the this particular subject then we recommend it. There were two very short teenage kisses, one was a peck but no sex scenes or nudity. We took our 9 and 11 year old. After the movie we asked what they thought and they had very articulate eye opening thoughts on it. They said they were glad that they saw it and they thought it is important for young people like them to know what is really going on.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byBeckaAnderson October 9, 2018

Perfect for young teens

I loved this movie. There were a few sex scenes but no nudity. My 13 and 12 year olds loved it and it had so many powerful messages. 10/10 recommend this.

Adult Written byOliveee October 6, 2018

Really good! okay for young mid teens

It has a great message for teens and just as amazing as the book if you ask meee. I don't recommend it for 14 and under because of the violence, sexual innuendos and references, and some vulgar language. I noticed drug/alcohol stuff too. There are some great role models though! Some bad ones too haha but overall I enjoyed it.

Adult Written byAntiSky October 4, 2018

Outsanding

Amazing, it is just like the book! Just a bit violent for families though.

Adult Written bysasrza June 24, 2019

A very nuanced view of what it's like to be black in America.

Reading a lot of the reviews here, I'm a little puzzled about why anyone wouldn't want their kid to watch this movie. There's not much objectionable beyond the obvious shooting at the film's center which isn't necessarily shown in graphic detail. What the movie does very well is present a realistic and nuanced view of what it's like to be black and navigate America. Starr, the movie's main character, has to juggle code-switching as she basically lives in two different worlds: a white one in which her "friends" don't care to confront her reality and a black world in which she's somewhat of an outsider as well. Parents juggle the desire to keep their kids safe and get them a good education while attempting to help them navigate a neighborhood that's unforgiving and in which violence looms around every corner. A white boyfriend loves Starr but doesn't really try to empathize with her. Young men juggle the need to provide for their families while playing a dangerous game with real life consequences. A mother has to deal with the son her husband sired with another woman outside their marriage. A father has to keep his daughter safe from both the police and gang members. And of course, Starr has to manage the feeling that she's the most critical witness to a murder while dealing with the perception her classmates have. While the racial issues are probably going to weigh heavily on some viewers, there really isn't much bad language or violence here and the sexual content doesn't go beyond a few kisses. I was a little put off by the white boyfriend's "racial halo", I do understand the need for the movie to not present all white characters as bad guys. It just seemed too much like the typical "white guys are all knowing/all seeing/perfect/infallible" we've seen elsewhere. Making Starr's father momentarily look like a racist just didn't jibe well with the overall flow of the movie. What kinda involved father wouldn't know who his daughter was dating before prom night? It's a real movie that shouldn't just resonate with black viewers. It's a realistic portrayal of blackness that viewers of every color can learn something from and I highly recommend it.

Adult Written bymia_kapur.7 June 17, 2019

NOT FOR KIDS!

This has way 2 much language and violence and bad influences. That's all I'm going 2 say

Parent of a 13 year old Written byLmjonesamira May 31, 2019

Adult Written byPla10025 April 28, 2019

Excellent Movie

Truly a must see.

Adult Written byGiannasMommy35 March 17, 2019

Powerful movie, makes kids proud of who they are

I watched this movie with my 11 and 12 year olds. The movie is very thought-provoking, and there is no iffy vulgar language or sexuality. My kids did not get upset during the shooting or violence. There is some violence in this movie, but in the end, the neighborhood got justice. There is only a few instances of vulgar language, like f*ck (which you can cover the ears if you dont like it). The adults do drink a little but no one gets drunk.

Adult Written byconcernedparents2019 March 12, 2019

AWFUL!!!!!

Should be rated "R" and not "PG-13." NOT suitable for middle school children or younger teens. Full of vulgar language including several instances of "f*ck," 27 instances of "ass" or similar, teen girl discussion about condom and penis size, anti-law enforcement propaganda. Long scene of high school alcohol drinking party with simulated sex dancing in background. Hero of movie is drug dealer. South Carolina Fraternal order Police Departments said about it..."...indoctrination of distrust of police." School districts have banned book. Pill popping is also mentioned.