All member reviews for The Heart of the Game

Excellent high school sports documentary.

Parent Written bySeattle Mom October 10, 2011

A positive story with some grown up content, responsibly handled

I watched this with my 8 year old son because I went to the high school where it was set (2 decades before the documentary was filmed!!). I was cautious about letting him watch it because I read that it briefly discussed the sexual abuse of one player and the teenage pregnancy of another, and I was prepared for challenging questions at the end. My son's only question was, "Why did the girl cry when she won the game?" The main coach, though extremely competitive, had a very positive way of interacting with his players, which I was happy for my son to see. There was also open, honest, and positive discussion of race and socio-economic disparity which I think is also worthwhile for kids to view in this context. Overall I think it was a great film for teenagers for certain, and for younger kids too, if watched with parents who are prepared to discuss the questions that might be raised. Very entertaining and uplifting overall.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 22, 2012

heart game

Families can talk about the ways that Darnellia matures over the course of the film, transitioning form rebellious adolescent to responsible teammate. How does her coach describe these changes, as he encourages her to believe in herself? How does Darnellia come to depend on her family and teammates in order to become a great player?