All member reviews for The Hobbit (1977)

Cartoon adaptation of famous book is a great intro for kids.

Teen, 14 years old Written byway245 April 25, 2011
The movie was just ok. It went along with the book though. It's great for any kid...you should just save the time and watch Shrek or something...
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Administrator April 22, 2012

The Administrator - Review

This animated short compacts the film, and is basically just feels like an audiobook with some visuals.
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2012

The Hobbit

The animated Hobbit is not as good as the live action Lord of the Rings movies. Everything happened so quickly, and I couldn't really follow along. But I loved the action, adventure, music and "magic", so it's certainly not a total loss.
Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2014

Scared me real bad at first.

This movie is based on the "The Hobbit" by J.R.R Tolkien. It's kind of embarrassing, the first few times I watched this I was so scared that when a part witch scared me came in I'd pretend to go to the bathroom so no one in the room would no I was scared. So if your a younger kid who scares easily you might want to do stay away from this movie. I don't remember any language at all. Characters smoke.
Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2015

sweet

this is a sweet movie if you have nothing else to watch or small kids.
Educator and Parent Written byjmarkc October 24, 2014
Educator and Parent of an infant year old Written byBatfan7 March 26, 2016

Something different

As animated fare, this definitely isn't Disney. It feels darker than most animated movies with many scenes of peril and times when a sensitive child might get scared (those spiders and goblins can be nasty!) The animation is pretty detailed and not 'cute/cartoony' (none of the characters would every be considered good looking - not even an elf). However, this definitely isn't the live-action movie(s) either. It's generally kid-friendly and quick-paced. Biblo is the star - the dwarves all blend together as a group and there's not a lot of emotional impact when *spoilers* any dwarf dies. This can be a positive thing (young kids won't come away in tears) or a negative thing (we don't really care that someone died?). Although the book is better, as a first introduction to Middle Earth, this is pretty good and well worth watching - especially for kids who are too young to see Peter Jackson's version. I'd include this on a must-see list.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydanny 7000 March 2, 2016

the hobbit is not for little kids

i think the hobbit is a amazing movie but its not for kids because its really vilonte a guy shoots and kills a dragon in the neck theirs a big battleground of dead bodies and a old guy is seen in bleeding bandages and then dies with that being said i dont reccomend the hobbit 1977 for anyone under the age of 13
Teen, 16 years old Written byjonathanw1 August 29, 2015

The hobbit

Very fun, very enjoyable cartoon. Very well matches the feel of the book. Best way to watch it is to read the book, then watch the movie
Adult Written byeduardow July 16, 2015