All member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Tolkien tale isn't as great as LOTR, but better for tweens.

Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written bygandalf.the.white December 15, 2012

my girls loved it, but they're pretty hardcore

The violence is the biggest wild card here. If you've seen the LoTR movies, it's on the same level as that. There is plenty of swordplay, limbs chopped off, blood, and war scenes. The violence is never for it's own sake, even in the hands of the bad guys. It's always in battle. There is a reference to torture that will happen to the good guys including showing the instruments of that torture, but that never comes to pass. It is scary and there are scary looking creatures throughout. My younger one only got so nervous as to want an arm around her at the apex of action when it looked like we may lose a main character. Of course, there were messages of fealty to friends & family, empathy (especially in the Gollum story line), as well as nods to brains over brawn. There were a few potty humor jokes that I did not expect, but they were not so bad as to turn me off. They merely caught me off guard in this film.
Teen, 13 years old Written by1234fivemo December 14, 2012

Wonderful Movie for a Wonderful Fandom

For all the LOTR fans this is the perfect film. Only just coming back from the midnight premiere about ten minutes ago I can honestly say it was a wonderful film and great adaptation. The movie does end in a clifhanger awaiting a second film which was a little dissapointing bu other than that a wonderful, tween friendly film!
Teen, 15 years old Written byWayward Girl December 15, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is AMAZING!!! I CANNOT wait until Hobbit 2!!!

Just saw this with my family yesterday! My parents haven't let me seen the original trilogy, but they know I am a huge fan of the books, and they decided it would be okay. I am so glad they gave in- It was so much fun! The movie was beautiful, with gorgeous landscapes, and it was pretty funny, so younger viewers will enjoy too. There's tons of battle scenes that show violence through out the movie. One scene shows an "Orc" lifting up the head of the Dwarf King and another showed a Dwarf chopping the same Orc's arm off. The battle scenes may frighten some, but then the creatures who they fight with alone could be considered "scary." Things like the Trolls, the Goblins, the Orcs, The Wargs, and possibly the Rock Giants could bother those too young. There was as scene that disturbed my 12 year old brother, and that was the scene where the shadows of giant spiders could be seen on the windows. That didn't last very long however. And then of course, there is Gollum. Poor little Gollum tends to be very disturbing to younger and older audiences alike. That scene was amazing, by the way, and stuck very closely to the book. In fact, the entire movie stuck very well the the original novel. My dad disagrees, but I think it does. It took what was there in the book and stretched it, going further into details and character development. Lots of people are complaining that it was waaay too long (2 hours and 50 minutes!!) but to be honest? I didn't even notice. I was just hoping it would never end. This was a really fun movie, the best fantasy film I've seen in forever, and I am so excited for the second and third installments. The best part about it though, is that young viewers and old alike can love it.
Adult Written byThe Windlass December 15, 2012

More violence, NOT less

I disagree with the reviewer about this not being as violent as the LOTR movies; basically, Jackson has apparently decided to eke out the story into three movies by putting a fight or battle in every few minutes, and all of these fights were every bit as violent and gory as the "LOTR" movies' fights were. There was more of a sense of HUMOR in one or two places, but that doesn't make it less VIOLENT. It even STARTS with a massive, gory battle, rather than with the opening of the book, which is one of the most famous first lines in English literature (they stick it in later, but by that time, sheesh!). One thing we couldn't help noticing was that there were more moments in the fights that were obviously "video game violence," in that they didn't really seem to be obeying the same laws of physics that we have here, whereas there were only one or two of those obvious video game violence moments in LOTR (for example, Legolas' impossible actions on the oliphaunt). But parents should NOT take young children to this expecting it to be less violent than LOTR; if anything, there is definitely more violence per unit of time than in LOTR. Disappointing, since some of the scenes they replaced with fights or bizarre, pointless, violent chases would have shown kids the value of, for example, cleverness, courage, and persistence, rather than just bashing around non-stop action.
Adult Written bybanyanitis1 December 14, 2012

Not a disappointment! - Love it!

I was worried after the poor reviews that this got but had been so looking forward to it that I went anyway. This telling is very true to the original story it ends at the point that the eagles drop the troop off. The battle scenes are similar to the Lord of the Rings scenes with beheadings and slashings, etc but nothing terribly gory and scary. There are some tense moments when we were on the edge of our seats waiting to find out if the dwarves would make it through their latest scrape. I brought an 8 and 10 year old and they were laughing hysterically at some of the battle moments. I'm not sure why this got panned so badly by the critics. It had a different feel than LOTR, much funnier, but was awesome. Even the 10-year-old who had never seen LOTR or read the book loved it and followed it. Some really good lessons came out of it as we saw Bilbo make choices and live with the consequences.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJohnem95 December 14, 2012

The Lord Of The Rings prequel.

The Hobbit is the prequel to the Lord Of The Rings trilogy which is quite popular in kids and teens so don't be surprised if your son or daughter will be asking you to take them to this 170 minute epic... especially if they're fans of the original books and LOTR movies. Be aware that this first of three parts adaption of the book of the same same does feature some fairly scary violence especially involving trolls, orcs, and blood-thirsty wolves who are hot on our heroes' tails. However, none of our favorite characters get killed or severely injured, but they are in peril fairly frequently. The main character, Bilbo Baggins is a strong fellow who is weary of joining Gandalf and the dwarves on their wild adventure, but he decides to come along and winds up becoming a hero despite his size. Bilbo is a great example for young children and teens that even though you may be small doesn't mean that you can't be a hero like those bigger than you. Bilbo and Gandalf are good leaders and the dwarves are always seem to have the others' backs. Is the movie long? Yes. Is it painfully long? No. But it's a Lord Of The Rings movie, should you expect it to be an hour and a half? But don't worry, it's a fun adventure and your kids should enjoy it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytoemas626 December 14, 2012

Amazing! But some creepy and violent content. Maybe even more graphic than the LOTR

Personally, I thought this movie was better than the LOTR movies. I thought it was definately more graphic than them as well. During the goblin scene, while the dawrfs are running, there were heads flying everywhere. Also, in the opening battle scene, when the orc's arm is chopped off, some blood sprayed out. But, the story and effects were full of amazing detail and great messages, but the gollum scenes were rather..... frighting. I would be cautious but overall, i thought it was fantastic! Cant wait for the others!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byJesseVitu December 14, 2012

An Expected Delight

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a beautiful movie. It stays mostly true to the book, and once it jumps a couple of the small hurdles of the opening scenes, it is also well paced. Don't get me wrong, the early scenes are great, but don't expect to get started on the journey to the Lonely Mountain until a good 50 minutes into the show. There is much humor to be found in this adventure, however at times, the film doesn't take itself entirely seriously. I heard someone describe Radagast (The Brown Wizard...) as a sort of Jar Jar Binks, which I would somewhat agree with, although it is not as extreme; he does play an important role in the storytelling. I saw this movie in the 3D 48 FPS format, and let me tell you, it was visually breathtaking. Go see it in 3D; it's well worth the extra bucks. There were rumors that the high frame rate gave many people headaches, etc. However, not a single person that I talked to said that they were bothered by it. It truly made you feel like you were right there in the action. The CGI was also fantastic, although there are some parts that aren't completely polished. The action and violence is not quite as extensive as The Lord of the Rings, but it still earns it's PG-13 rating. Characters also occasionally smoke and drink. Overall, this movie would be fine for anyone 12 and up.
Kid, 12 years old December 14, 2012

The Hobbit

Great movie, sticks to the book pretty well. If you are a fan of the lord of the rings triligy, Go see it! I just saw it, and i think that it was epic and really funny!
Teen, 17 years old Written bytripp106 December 14, 2012

Epic

It was fantastic! I went to the midnight premiere, and saw it in IMAX 3D(best way to see it). It's jaw droppingly awesome! I don't understand why CSM only gave it 3 stars!! The story is awesome! The added decent amount to the book, and changed a lot of stuff around, but it made way better! The graphics were amazing! I just wanted to sit there and stare at it for the rest of forever! As a major fan of dwarves, I was giddy the whole movie! Kili is my favorite from the book and he definitely did not disappoint in the movie!! It's a major blockbuster movie that deserves it's hype! There's nothing in it of questionability, so the only concern is the violence!
Parent Written bySerendipity7000 January 6, 2013

NOT for children - 12A rating should be re-worded

This film is not like the book of The Hobbit, which is much gentler and more amusing. It is mostly violence, fighting (and very gory fighting with very frightening monsters - overkill on special effects). In particular, early in the film, we are shown a battle (a 'remembered' battle from a dwarf who is telling a story about the past - he should have just told the story and not had it portrayed as a scene) - in which the dwarf king's head is chopped off and then held high by an ugly scary, evil monster - held high for just a bit too long. The monster's arm is then hacked off with blood spurting everywhere. And that sets the tone for the rest of the film, which gets rather repetitive - same ugly monster chasing dwarf band, and scary tense moments and gory fighting. It is the tone which is inappropriate really. I feel the makers of the film have tried to be too clever in showing off their ability to make grotesque special effects. The rating should be UPPED to at least 15, and I quote from the description of a 12A censorship, regarding violence. "What sort of violence can I expect in a 12 or 12A ? At 12A, moderate violence is allowed but it should not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood, but occasional gory moments may be permitted if they can be justified by their context (for example brief sight of bloody injury in a medical drama)." It says it should not dwell on detail (erm holding a chopped off head up high for all to see for a bit too long?!) It says a brief sight of blood injury in a medical drama. This was no medical drama and blood gushing out of a chopped off arm is hardly a brief sight in a medical scenario! And seeing Thorin in the jaws of a giant evil warg, being shaken about, for just a bit too long also, and then dwelling on the fact that Thorin looks dead is also highly inappropriate. Basically the film is not what it should be - and the whole story is ruined anyway by the fact that we know that Bilbo survives because we see him at the start writing his memoirs as an old man! And this is not the case in the book. It is purely done to provide a 'link' with the Lord of the Rings films. Fact is, they should have filmed the Hobbit first! It was written first - instead of trying to turn it into some sort of prequel. It is far too long, and doesn't even tell the whole story in one film, dwelling too long on certain scenes, particularly the fighting. It is basically a film about grotesque scary monsters and fighting, with hardly any plot - and what plot there is, isn't explained properly. It was unnecessary to try and link it with the Lord of the Rings, as younger children may not have seen it anyway. What they should have done, was made ONE film - the story of The Hobbit, as more of a gentle, humorous story (as the book) then made two more about the Silmarillion (which WAS a prequel). Finally - 12A says that it is suitable for children aged 12 and over, but that younger children may be taken accompanied by an adult, at the parent's discretion. NOT ON! The parent's discretion is based on thinking this is a film about the book The Hobbit! So any parent who is thinking of taking a child younger than 12 needs to have read up about the film first - and as this is a Christmas/New Year film, people tend to go on impulse. A young child sitting behind us got very distressed and will probably have nightmares about scary monsters, and may never want to have anything to do with The Hobbit again! I feel the violence is gratuitous, particularly for any child under 12. Possibly a mature 10 year-old may handle it - but in general, I would say the 12A rating should be CHANGED. It should say NO children under 12 should be allowed to see it. And in that way, the makers of films would tame their violence if they want it rated as a PG.
Parent Written byjlmsmom December 16, 2012

My ten year old left about a third into the movie.

My ten year old had read an loved the book. He very much wanted to see the movie. He understood that there were scary parts, but having read the book he said it would be okay, because he already knew about the scary parts. And so he was devastated when he found he wanted to leave only a third of the way into the movie because they had added a bunch of scary parts that were not in the book and therefore he was unprepared for. He had been anticipating this movie for months and was very angry and disappointed. I am not sure why all the added plot, I can only speculate that perhaps that was necessary to stretch the movie into three thus enabling the producers to make more money. A bitter lesson in greed for my ten year old.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byjaywdet December 27, 2012

Battle Fest, with Little Appeal. -From a LOTR fan.

I am extremely disappointed with Common Sense's under estimation of the violence in this movie. Half of the movie is battle scenes. I saw one parent review this and say it's okay for 8 year olds. I figured it must be pretty tame. OOOPS. My 7 year old spent half the movie with his head under my arm. My 10 year old can handle it, but the whole POINT of the movie seems to be the battle sequences. I am a fan of Lord of the Rings, but I will not be forking out any more money on this. There was little dialogue, and the character development was poor. Of course, the special effects and action sequences are brilliant as you would expect, but they were the sum of the movie. I found myself wanting it to end, checking the time, and growing tired of the battle scenes. This is not a Fantasy adventure film. It's a fantasy blood fest designed to sell video games. I made a mistake taking my child. The last money I will put into Peter Jackson's pocket. I can't think of a better way to describe this, that to say it was simply an empty film, that will leave you 'feeling' emotionless, or worse. The worst film I've ever seen from Jackson. Thankfully, I went to the $5.00 show.
Parent Written byJCMAST December 16, 2012

LOVED THE HOBBIT!

Great movie!! This was a love letter to Tolkien & to New Zealand. I loved that Jackson added add'l material from the appendices, footnotes, etc. (No, I do not believe Jackson added these to make longer movies to make more money. If there is anyone on Earth who does NOT need more money, it would be Peter Jackson. He added the 'extras' to enrich the story and to widen the Tolkien universe, and I'm very appreciative of that). His respect for the source material is clearly evident and brilliantly executed. Martin Freeman was completely on-point as Bilbo Baggins...I thought his performance was brilliant and much more likeable than Wood's Frodo, whose wide-eyed glassy look really got on my nerves after a while. Gollum was perfection. Nothing more to say there. The dwarves started to be more distinct by the end of the movie, but obviously, Thorin stood out, as well as his nephews, Fili & Kili. I'm so glad I revisited this book with my kids, 9&11, via an audiobook before seeing the movie. None of us liked the narrator of the CD, but I'm glad we powered through it anyway. It really made me appreciate Jackson's commitment & dedication to the book. You can tell he's a true fan, a passionate aficianado, and his enthusiasm was catching. I didnt feel that the movie dragged on or could have used more editing...give me more! We are all looking forward to the next 2 installments, and if they're in the same vein as this one, we will have a house of happy campers!! Please note: this is definitely not a movie for sensitive kids! There are some harry & scary scenes for kids. The battle scenes were brutal, very much LOTR, no sugar-coating. My kids handled it all well but I think listening to the book on CD definitely helped since they knew exactly what to expect, so the visual component was the only surprise for them & less of a "shock" than if they'd gone in with no intro to the story. They're also naturally not the sensitive types but Harry Potter & superheroes probably didnt hurt in further desensitizing them. In the end, they both loved The Hobbit and really want to dig in to the LOTR trilogy next. You know your kids...use your discretion wisely...you dont want too much too soon to ruin a wonderful series for a child who may just not be ready for it in movie form. Better to wait for the sweet spot. Let them only read the book for now, but regardless of the medium, enjoy the journey!!
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byjendadsgrl December 20, 2012

Great Movie, Lots of Violence

I just saw this with my 10 year old daughter who had read the book. We both loved it, but there were definitely some very scary/violent images and scenes as well as some content that was pretty dark. She seemed to handle it well, but I would seriously think twice before letting a child watch the movie before reading the book to gauge how the content sits with them.
Parent of a 8, 14, and 16 year old Written bymomofvt December 20, 2012

Brilliant, but not for young kids

This is fantastic movie! It stays mostly true to the book, hardly ever taking out details and adding tidbits from Lord of the Rings in a way that makes it even more engaging to watch. Not only does this make an engaging action movie, it also sends a lovely message that greatness can be found in the smallest places. Please have your child(ren) read the book beforehand though; this movie is geared toward people who know and love Lord of the Rings. This is not a young child friendly movie, though. There is a lot of added violence that adds to the intrigue of the movie, but not the appeal for a family friendly movie.
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I thought this was better than the animated Hobbit, because it was easy to follow along and went into greater detail. I think this is along the same level as the other Lord of the Rings films, because the action and special effects were the same. I saw the midnight screening, and it looked AWESOME!!! I can't wait for the other films so I can see Smaug!
Teen, 14 years old Written byLadySarah December 17, 2012

Go see it - you won't regret it!

"Tolkien tale isn't as great as LOTR, but better for tweens." Really? REALLY? I would very much like to know who wrote this. On what basis can you judge the tale not as good as LOTR? They are not the same. They may be happening in the same world with same characters, but they are different. I think LOTR fans (such as myself) will enjoy it. Peter and his crew made an amazing movie! I went to see it and I was mind-blown. It ended too soon. I didn't find it "slow" as some others did, I was amazed and intrigued. I had shiver flowing through my body the entire film. I cannot describe the feeling with just words, so'll you have to go and see the movie for yourselfs. I think violence won't be a problem if you're mature enough. If you watched the LOTR trilogy and made it through without serious injuries, then you'll be just fine. :)
Adult Written byMovieMan26 December 14, 2012

A Triumphant Return to Middle Earth!

"The Hobbit..." What can be said? Tolkien wrote it in 1937, and people have been wanting to see it on the big screen since. It's been made into animated movies, but they weren't much of anything. And "The Lord of the Rings" was even filmed before "The Hobbit." Now, Peter Jackson returns to Middle Earth. Was it worth the price of admission to see a new adventure in my favorite world back on the big screen? Let me put it this way: my smile is still glued to my face. Seeing the Shire again brought joy I haven't experienced in years. It's not joy that's any better than recent enjoyment; it's just different. It's not the same as watching "The Avengers" or "Ted" (not slandering these; both very good movies). It's a true return to Middle Earth, and even thinking about it makes me happy. And, yes, I'll admit I got misty eyed. When, you may ask? Well, for about 166 minutes. ;) Where to start? That's a great question. There's no good place to start, so I guess I'll start with this: Go see this movie. And go see the next two. It's wonderful. Not just good, but life-altering (for movie-going's sake). I had SO many worries, and my hopes were so high. But this year has proven well for me. For many reasons, and only a few of the movies. I was worried that it'd be too familiar, that Jackson may repeat some feats made in the last films. Or maybe the adventure wouldn't be as deep or emotional. Or maybe the characters aren't as awesome as the Fellowship. If these are some of your fears, do not fret: NOT A ONE will come to pass. Let's break it down now: The cast: Amazing; Sir Ian McKellen is dazzling as Gandalf the Grey, an awesome wizard who preforms more than a few magic tricks in this one. Martin Freeman as Bilbo is pitch perfect, being skittish yet attempting bravery throughout. And, well, everyone else was, hm, what'd you expect? FANTASTIC! The direction: I'm surprised I even have to write this. Masterful, with simply gorgeous cinematography. The action: Breathtaking, and often clever. I am VERY excited for the next one just because of a certain action scene. And everything else is perfect. I found NO flaws. And another thing about this I enjoyed is that humor is a larger factor, but not so much that it interrupted the movie. Bottom Line: 10/10. A+ Perfect. Jackson, please, oh please, make the next two as brilliant as this one!! And I hope i didn't get your hopes too high. Who knows, you may find flaws that I didn't... but I SINCERELY DOUBT IT!!! :D
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byjillyme December 18, 2012

Great start to The Hobbit trilogy

I was expecting to be disappointed because of the reviews, but I enjoyed The Hobbit. All three of my kids loved it. My youngest is nine, and I didn't feel it was too violent for him, and he was interested in the film all the way through despite the long running time.