All member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Teen, 13 years old Written by1234fivemo December 14, 2012

Wonderful Movie for a Wonderful Fandom

For all the LOTR fans this is the perfect film. Only just coming back from the midnight premiere about ten minutes ago I can honestly say it was a wonderful film and great adaptation. The movie does end in a clifhanger awaiting a second film which was a little dissapointing bu other than that a wonderful, tween friendly film!
Teen, 15 years old Written byWayward Girl December 15, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is AMAZING!!! I CANNOT wait until Hobbit 2!!!

Just saw this with my family yesterday! My parents haven't let me seen the original trilogy, but they know I am a huge fan of the books, and they decided it would be okay. I am so glad they gave in- It was so much fun! The movie was beautiful, with gorgeous landscapes, and it was pretty funny, so younger viewers will enjoy too. There's tons of battle scenes that show violence through out the movie. One scene shows an "Orc" lifting up the head of the Dwarf King and another showed a Dwarf chopping the same Orc's arm off. The battle scenes may frighten some, but then the creatures who they fight with alone could be considered "scary." Things like the Trolls, the Goblins, the Orcs, The Wargs, and possibly the Rock Giants could bother those too young. There was as scene that disturbed my 12 year old brother, and that was the scene where the shadows of giant spiders could be seen on the windows. That didn't last very long however. And then of course, there is Gollum. Poor little Gollum tends to be very disturbing to younger and older audiences alike. That scene was amazing, by the way, and stuck very closely to the book. In fact, the entire movie stuck very well the the original novel. My dad disagrees, but I think it does. It took what was there in the book and stretched it, going further into details and character development. Lots of people are complaining that it was waaay too long (2 hours and 50 minutes!!) but to be honest? I didn't even notice. I was just hoping it would never end. This was a really fun movie, the best fantasy film I've seen in forever, and I am so excited for the second and third installments. The best part about it though, is that young viewers and old alike can love it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJohnem95 December 14, 2012

The Lord Of The Rings prequel.

The Hobbit is the prequel to the Lord Of The Rings trilogy which is quite popular in kids and teens so don't be surprised if your son or daughter will be asking you to take them to this 170 minute epic... especially if they're fans of the original books and LOTR movies. Be aware that this first of three parts adaption of the book of the same same does feature some fairly scary violence especially involving trolls, orcs, and blood-thirsty wolves who are hot on our heroes' tails. However, none of our favorite characters get killed or severely injured, but they are in peril fairly frequently. The main character, Bilbo Baggins is a strong fellow who is weary of joining Gandalf and the dwarves on their wild adventure, but he decides to come along and winds up becoming a hero despite his size. Bilbo is a great example for young children and teens that even though you may be small doesn't mean that you can't be a hero like those bigger than you. Bilbo and Gandalf are good leaders and the dwarves are always seem to have the others' backs. Is the movie long? Yes. Is it painfully long? No. But it's a Lord Of The Rings movie, should you expect it to be an hour and a half? But don't worry, it's a fun adventure and your kids should enjoy it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytoemas626 December 14, 2012

Amazing! But some creepy and violent content. Maybe even more graphic than the LOTR

Personally, I thought this movie was better than the LOTR movies. I thought it was definately more graphic than them as well. During the goblin scene, while the dawrfs are running, there were heads flying everywhere. Also, in the opening battle scene, when the orc's arm is chopped off, some blood sprayed out. But, the story and effects were full of amazing detail and great messages, but the gollum scenes were rather..... frighting. I would be cautious but overall, i thought it was fantastic! Cant wait for the others!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byJesseVitu December 14, 2012

An Expected Delight

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a beautiful movie. It stays mostly true to the book, and once it jumps a couple of the small hurdles of the opening scenes, it is also well paced. Don't get me wrong, the early scenes are great, but don't expect to get started on the journey to the Lonely Mountain until a good 50 minutes into the show. There is much humor to be found in this adventure, however at times, the film doesn't take itself entirely seriously. I heard someone describe Radagast (The Brown Wizard...) as a sort of Jar Jar Binks, which I would somewhat agree with, although it is not as extreme; he does play an important role in the storytelling. I saw this movie in the 3D 48 FPS format, and let me tell you, it was visually breathtaking. Go see it in 3D; it's well worth the extra bucks. There were rumors that the high frame rate gave many people headaches, etc. However, not a single person that I talked to said that they were bothered by it. It truly made you feel like you were right there in the action. The CGI was also fantastic, although there are some parts that aren't completely polished. The action and violence is not quite as extensive as The Lord of the Rings, but it still earns it's PG-13 rating. Characters also occasionally smoke and drink. Overall, this movie would be fine for anyone 12 and up.
Kid, 12 years old December 14, 2012

The Hobbit

Great movie, sticks to the book pretty well. If you are a fan of the lord of the rings triligy, Go see it! I just saw it, and i think that it was epic and really funny!
Teen, 17 years old Written bytripp106 December 14, 2012

Epic

It was fantastic! I went to the midnight premiere, and saw it in IMAX 3D(best way to see it). It's jaw droppingly awesome! I don't understand why CSM only gave it 3 stars!! The story is awesome! The added decent amount to the book, and changed a lot of stuff around, but it made way better! The graphics were amazing! I just wanted to sit there and stare at it for the rest of forever! As a major fan of dwarves, I was giddy the whole movie! Kili is my favorite from the book and he definitely did not disappoint in the movie!! It's a major blockbuster movie that deserves it's hype! There's nothing in it of questionability, so the only concern is the violence!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I thought this was better than the animated Hobbit, because it was easy to follow along and went into greater detail. I think this is along the same level as the other Lord of the Rings films, because the action and special effects were the same. I saw the midnight screening, and it looked AWESOME!!! I can't wait for the other films so I can see Smaug!
Teen, 14 years old Written byLadySarah December 17, 2012

Go see it - you won't regret it!

"Tolkien tale isn't as great as LOTR, but better for tweens." Really? REALLY? I would very much like to know who wrote this. On what basis can you judge the tale not as good as LOTR? They are not the same. They may be happening in the same world with same characters, but they are different. I think LOTR fans (such as myself) will enjoy it. Peter and his crew made an amazing movie! I went to see it and I was mind-blown. It ended too soon. I didn't find it "slow" as some others did, I was amazed and intrigued. I had shiver flowing through my body the entire film. I cannot describe the feeling with just words, so'll you have to go and see the movie for yourselfs. I think violence won't be a problem if you're mature enough. If you watched the LOTR trilogy and made it through without serious injuries, then you'll be just fine. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire December 23, 2012

Excellent

I loved this movie. I went to see it with my family at the 3D high frame rate version at midnight. I found it quite violent (for some reason it seemed worse than the original ones). A dwarf king is beheaded and there is a very scary orc. I didn't hear any language and there was no romance at all. This movie was a great deal funnier than the original trilogy which made it more fun to watch. It's different from the book but still amazing. They added two more plots to the story which makes the movie even more intriguing. Altogether, this is a great movie to take your teenager to.
Kid, 9 years old December 25, 2012

BEST MOVIE IN LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this movie is epic and ido not like lord of the rings 100%but ilove the movie the hobbit an unexpected journey. this movie shows little kids amajination and how to use it .the book sticks to the the movie pretty well to the possitivive message that team work makes perfect task . thank you peter jaxon that thers no sexual content or shootin because shooting is the most violont thing that can happen in a movie.people say that if you like lord of the rings go and see it but i disagree. when one of the dwarfs said jaxie it means the a word as in a--s.this movie is not innappropriate and its epic spectacular action comedy and my favorite movie.the hobbit is nice i kept on cheering and kept on saying snap the whole movie .this move has lees violence than lord of the rings but its still awsome.there are are alot of characters drinking eating and smoking on a pipe . bilbo baggans is heroic and brave like harry potter .this movie should be rated pg not pg13 because this has less intece than ithought would have i wanna read the whole sereise to find out what happens in the the next two parts .i feel bad for the author because he had diedin 1973 he was born on 1892 he died when he was 81 years old. the movie dosnt have any seual content . .idont know what people are saying when they say this is a bad movie.this movie is the best movieof 2012 and its the end of 2012 the movie im going to see is parental guidence and write a review about it .I LOVE THIS MOVIE .IT ENDED IN A GREAT WAY . THE BOOK CAME OUT IN 1931 BUT THE MOVIE WAS BETTER .THAN THE BOOKif children under 2 want to watch i seggust parents whatch it with them its out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY .THE SCENES ARNT THAT INTENCE IT SOULD BE RATED PG .COUPLE OF FIGHTS NO BIGGY.STILL GRAET MOVIE IVE EVER HAD SEEN !! DEFENETLY AGES 2AND UP
Kid, 11 years old December 15, 2012

Graphic

Way more graphic heads are cut off blood people cut in half but less vilonce then some films like kill bill and zombie land
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2012

Info parents might need about the hobbit.

This is a good film, despite being scared to death 5 times. It is quite scary, has a lot of blood in it added with lots of fighting. Even though im 9, to be safe, don`t watch it unless your in Year 5/Year 6! Also, if your children cant concentrate for 3 hours, dont bother watching it. But, it is by far the best film i`ve seen this year!
Teen, 16 years old Written byblank_disk January 4, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

This movie is one of the best I've seen personally. I thought that Peter Jackson did a superb job in amping up the standard 24 frames per second to 48 making the photography a treat to watch, as well as the special effects, because since I watched it in UltraAVX, 3D I found myself ducking a few times when the shrubbery was coming toward the screen. The acting cast was excellent. Martin Freeman nailed the part of Bilbo Baggins. Also the issues this film dealt with were very good. Honestly, though, I wouldn't take a regular 7-9 year old (of course this is based on maturity) to this flick. It's pretty violent, after my dad watched it he even commented that he thought The Hunger Games seemed small in comparision with the deaths of Goblins, Trolls, Orcs, those weird wolf things. I remember one scene when heads seemed to be flying off in every direction, (that's probably because I watched the movie in UltraAVX 3D) but still, young kids for sure should NOT be watching that. I personally loved the fact that they added a whole back story on Thorin, because that just seemed to make his whole demeanor in the book make sense. For foul language I don't exactly consider jacksy a swear. But if you guys consider that offensive and can watch a movie with 5-10 F-bombs in it, and not mind it, well then, I consider that double-standard. Also, Bilbo does smoke a pipe, but it's only really in one scene when he's talking to Gandalf, which was in the book. The scene with Gollum/Smeagle was pretty funny, but could creep out some younger audiences. There is a reason that this flick was rated PG-13 in the U.S. and not a children's rating. All in all, a movie worth watching several times. 5/5 stars for this one. But that's just my two cents.
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2012

This movie was pretty good, but very hard to sit through. (166 minutes)

I read the book and almost nothing in the book happened in this movie. Language: several uses of "ass". Sex: nothing at all except an embrace between Gandalf and ma'lady. Violence: a couple graphic beheadings, and this movie is one long sword fight. I can't wait for the second and third part to come out.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeziosbutt January 2, 2013

The Hobbit is a superfluity of intense storyline, heartwarming characters, and breathtaking scenery

This extremely enjoyable movie displays the same magic that Peter Jackson (director) was able to capture into the Lord of the Rings. The movie displayed many characters of noble heart and ambition, such as Bilbo, the homely, scared hobbit who faced his fears and confronted an adventure. Thorin, the prince of the dwarves, is a persevering leader as he eventually learns Bilbo's not so obvious heroic qualities. While they are violent throughout their quest, it is only through medieval weapons, which if your child begins to enjoy them, are a better path than automatic weapons such as guns and bombs, because with them it brings along qualities of chivalry and honor that is not present in the use of automatic weapons. This movie provides a plethora of heartwarming characters and awe-inspiring settings that combine in Tolkien's legendary tale as a wonderful movie. 5/5
Teen, 14 years old Written byHidalgo99 January 4, 2013

Bilbo's Adventure Is A Blast

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is based on The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and is one of three movies coming out over the coming years based on the novel. However this film heavily deviates from the book adding subplots as well as setting up The Lord of The Rings movies that take place after this film. In this respect Jackson does well even though it's an odd way to go about a story. It is a long movie and for a lot of kids may be boring throughout the first hour which sets up the story. After this the story whizz ws along with goblin battles, trolls and the magnificent Gollum who looks even better than in the LOTR trilogy. This character as well as most of the goblins and orcs will be scary to some children. This film is presented in a high frame rate in some theaters and can be nauseating and headache inducing for some and does not really effect the storyline so it can be skipped. Overall The Hobbit Part 1 is great fun and even if it starts slow it becomes a thrilling, fantastic ride
Kid, 9 years old February 16, 2013

THE BEST

THE BET MOVIE EVER 3STARS WHY THAT I SAW IT ON THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS EVE
Teen, 13 years old Written bycricketcat December 24, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Peter Jackson has done it again. I went to see this and it was amazing!!!! It just might be a little intense for some sensitive or smaller kids. Also, if you see it in the theaters, some of the previews can be inappropriate. SPOILER ALERT -> Some of the more violent things you might want to watch out for is: 1) At one point, it shows a dwarf king's head that has been chopped off. It doesn't show it actually happening, but it shows the head later. Although there is no blood, it might upset some kids. 2) There is one point where Smaug (the dragon) destroys a town with fire. It's kind of intense, but there is no blood or gore shown. 3) Bilbo and Gandalf are shown smoking. Also, the dwarves drink in a few scenes.Not very many people find this a problem, but if you do,it's good to know. 4) At one point, Radagast the Brown journeys to some creepy looking ruins. In a stone doorway, there are a bunch of creepy sounds and this silhouette of a man is just floating there. A statue of something that looks like a Nazgul (if you've seen The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, you know what I'm talking about.) drops a sword after some sinister whispering. I think this movie was awesome. You should so see this movie. I can't wait until the next ones come out. Good work, Peter Jackson!!
Kid, 11 years old December 18, 2012

Peter Jackson Has Done It Again!

Wow, this movie is just wonderful. Peter Jackson really knows how to make movies. Even though it wasn't LOTR it still was really good. Also,it was much less darker and scarier that Lord Of The Rings. It was very funny too. The visuals were really good and the acting too. But some parts were a little too long. But overall it is a must see movie.Can't wait for the next two.