All member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Teen, 13 years old Written by1234fivemo December 14, 2012

Wonderful Movie for a Wonderful Fandom

For all the LOTR fans this is the perfect film. Only just coming back from the midnight premiere about ten minutes ago I can honestly say it was a wonderful film and great adaptation. The movie does end in a clifhanger awaiting a second film which was a little dissapointing bu other than that a wonderful, tween friendly film!
Teen, 15 years old Written byWayward Girl December 15, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is AMAZING!!! I CANNOT wait until Hobbit 2!!!

Just saw this with my family yesterday! My parents haven't let me seen the original trilogy, but they know I am a huge fan of the books, and they decided it would be okay. I am so glad they gave in- It was so much fun! The movie was beautiful, with gorgeous landscapes, and it was pretty funny, so younger viewers will enjoy too. There's tons of battle scenes that show violence through out the movie. One scene shows an "Orc" lifting up the head of the Dwarf King and another showed a Dwarf chopping the same Orc's arm off. The battle scenes may frighten some, but then the creatures who they fight with alone could be considered "scary." Things like the Trolls, the Goblins, the Orcs, The Wargs, and possibly the Rock Giants could bother those too young. There was as scene that disturbed my 12 year old brother, and that was the scene where the shadows of giant spiders could be seen on the windows. That didn't last very long however. And then of course, there is Gollum. Poor little Gollum tends to be very disturbing to younger and older audiences alike. That scene was amazing, by the way, and stuck very closely to the book. In fact, the entire movie stuck very well the the original novel. My dad disagrees, but I think it does. It took what was there in the book and stretched it, going further into details and character development. Lots of people are complaining that it was waaay too long (2 hours and 50 minutes!!) but to be honest? I didn't even notice. I was just hoping it would never end. This was a really fun movie, the best fantasy film I've seen in forever, and I am so excited for the second and third installments. The best part about it though, is that young viewers and old alike can love it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytripp106 December 14, 2012

Epic

It was fantastic! I went to the midnight premiere, and saw it in IMAX 3D(best way to see it). It's jaw droppingly awesome! I don't understand why CSM only gave it 3 stars!! The story is awesome! The added decent amount to the book, and changed a lot of stuff around, but it made way better! The graphics were amazing! I just wanted to sit there and stare at it for the rest of forever! As a major fan of dwarves, I was giddy the whole movie! Kili is my favorite from the book and he definitely did not disappoint in the movie!! It's a major blockbuster movie that deserves it's hype! There's nothing in it of questionability, so the only concern is the violence!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoodreviews101 April 13, 2013

Peter Jackson deserves a kick in the ass

Having seen and loved all three Lord of the Rings movies, I thought this one would be as good. I was wrong. This movie is far too long. It isn't connected to the book at all. Peter Jackson struggles to fill the almost three-hour running time with garbage that doesn't belong. I almost could not stay awake and focused when I was watching the movie. The one thing that makes this movie watchable is the acting. People who enjoyed Lord of the Rings and the read the Hobbit book should see this movie, but don't be expecting anything like the LOTR movies.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycricketcat December 24, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Peter Jackson has done it again. I went to see this and it was amazing!!!! It just might be a little intense for some sensitive or smaller kids. Also, if you see it in the theaters, some of the previews can be inappropriate. SPOILER ALERT -> Some of the more violent things you might want to watch out for is: 1) At one point, it shows a dwarf king's head that has been chopped off. It doesn't show it actually happening, but it shows the head later. Although there is no blood, it might upset some kids. 2) There is one point where Smaug (the dragon) destroys a town with fire. It's kind of intense, but there is no blood or gore shown. 3) Bilbo and Gandalf are shown smoking. Also, the dwarves drink in a few scenes.Not very many people find this a problem, but if you do,it's good to know. 4) At one point, Radagast the Brown journeys to some creepy looking ruins. In a stone doorway, there are a bunch of creepy sounds and this silhouette of a man is just floating there. A statue of something that looks like a Nazgul (if you've seen The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, you know what I'm talking about.) drops a sword after some sinister whispering. I think this movie was awesome. You should so see this movie. I can't wait until the next ones come out. Good work, Peter Jackson!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire December 23, 2012

Excellent

I loved this movie. I went to see it with my family at the 3D high frame rate version at midnight. I found it quite violent (for some reason it seemed worse than the original ones). A dwarf king is beheaded and there is a very scary orc. I didn't hear any language and there was no romance at all. This movie was a great deal funnier than the original trilogy which made it more fun to watch. It's different from the book but still amazing. They added two more plots to the story which makes the movie even more intriguing. Altogether, this is a great movie to take your teenager to.
Kid, 11 years old March 22, 2014

THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!

THIS MOVIE HAS - ADVENTURE, ACTION, COMEDY, SUSPENSE, CREATIVITY, ORCS, HOBBITS, ELVES, DWARVES, WIZARDS, MEN, TROLLS, GOBLINS, DRAGONS, BEARS, ROCKS SHAPED AS BEARS, SPIDERS ENORMOUS EAGLES, AND A CREEPY CREATURE NAMED GOLLUM WHO IS ACTUALLY A DISTORTED HOBBIT... I THINK IVE SAID ENOUGH...PLEASE DON'T FORGET ALL OF THOSE THINGS I JUST TALKED ABOUT... BYE.
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2013

AWESOME!

THE HOBBIT IS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byeziosbutt January 2, 2013

The Hobbit is a superfluity of intense storyline, heartwarming characters, and breathtaking scenery

This extremely enjoyable movie displays the same magic that Peter Jackson (director) was able to capture into the Lord of the Rings. The movie displayed many characters of noble heart and ambition, such as Bilbo, the homely, scared hobbit who faced his fears and confronted an adventure. Thorin, the prince of the dwarves, is a persevering leader as he eventually learns Bilbo's not so obvious heroic qualities. While they are violent throughout their quest, it is only through medieval weapons, which if your child begins to enjoy them, are a better path than automatic weapons such as guns and bombs, because with them it brings along qualities of chivalry and honor that is not present in the use of automatic weapons. This movie provides a plethora of heartwarming characters and awe-inspiring settings that combine in Tolkien's legendary tale as a wonderful movie. 5/5
Teen, 13 years old Written byGumballu December 30, 2012

What.

To much killing. this is not for kids and I would recommend reading the lord of the rings,read the hobbit ect to understand the movie. It is very confusing
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 July 25, 2015

LOTR Prequel has exciting action, but overuse of CGI.

This Middle Earth Adventure is an expanded adaption of the first four chapters of the JRR Tolkien classic novel. It combines neat battle sequences, top notch acting and excellent cinematography and soundtrack. The main flaw is the visual effects, not so much the effects themselves, which hold up well for 2012 (although they're no where near as revolutionary as the effects for the LOTR sequels). The flaw with the visuals is that there is too much CGI; practical effects are few and far between, and this can distract. However, this is a more than worthy addition to the Middle Earth Franchise.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 24, 2015
Kid, 10 years old May 23, 2015

boring movie

this is the only hobbit movie i have seen so far and i HATE it i hope desolation of smaug and battle of five armies are better
Kid, 8 years old May 18, 2015

Great fantasy movie has some violence, but great for tweens.

My rating PG for: some violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter April 22, 2015

Not as great as LotR, but entertaining in its own right

The visuals are still top-notch, and the story is original and reliant to the source material. And the mountain fights are awesome
Kid, 12 years old April 8, 2015

As good as if not better than LOTR!

This movie trilogy is as good as LOTR! I love the characters and the action and adventure. I wouldn't say it's aimed towards younger kids though there is a lot of violence in it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe age organizer February 7, 2015

The hobbit an unexpected journey

11 and up
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2015

GREAT movie, but a bit violent.

I loved this movie! It was a really good one, but not my favorite of the three. I think it's for 12 and up. I'm 11, and I can handle blood, but the amputation of Azog was a bit.... freaky, in my ballpark... There is no swearing in this movie, and it's set place in a magical and mystical world! I thought Thorin's fight at the end was a bit vicious, and if I hadn't read the book, I would have said he was going to die at that point. That part and the amputation is why I set it for 12 and up. The tale teaches about loyalty, bravery, and courage, with Bilbo as a wonderful role-model! This was a GREAT movie, and a must-see!
Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2015

okish

not as good as the other hobbits.
Kid, 11 years old January 18, 2015

It was awesome!!!!

I think it was really great. It sticks to the book a little bit. It gets a bit boring in the beginning then the real action starts about 30 minutes into the movie. There was violence like chopping off heads and stabbing orcs and goblins. There were no swearing and drinking. The plot is really good. It is much better than the book. I didn't notice any consumerism.