All member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Teen, 13 years old Written by1234fivemo December 14, 2012

Wonderful Movie for a Wonderful Fandom

For all the LOTR fans this is the perfect film. Only just coming back from the midnight premiere about ten minutes ago I can honestly say it was a wonderful film and great adaptation. The movie does end in a clifhanger awaiting a second film which was a little dissapointing bu other than that a wonderful, tween friendly film!
Teen, 15 years old Written byWayward Girl December 15, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is AMAZING!!! I CANNOT wait until Hobbit 2!!!

Just saw this with my family yesterday! My parents haven't let me seen the original trilogy, but they know I am a huge fan of the books, and they decided it would be okay. I am so glad they gave in- It was so much fun! The movie was beautiful, with gorgeous landscapes, and it was pretty funny, so younger viewers will enjoy too. There's tons of battle scenes that show violence through out the movie. One scene shows an "Orc" lifting up the head of the Dwarf King and another showed a Dwarf chopping the same Orc's arm off. The battle scenes may frighten some, but then the creatures who they fight with alone could be considered "scary." Things like the Trolls, the Goblins, the Orcs, The Wargs, and possibly the Rock Giants could bother those too young. There was as scene that disturbed my 12 year old brother, and that was the scene where the shadows of giant spiders could be seen on the windows. That didn't last very long however. And then of course, there is Gollum. Poor little Gollum tends to be very disturbing to younger and older audiences alike. That scene was amazing, by the way, and stuck very closely to the book. In fact, the entire movie stuck very well the the original novel. My dad disagrees, but I think it does. It took what was there in the book and stretched it, going further into details and character development. Lots of people are complaining that it was waaay too long (2 hours and 50 minutes!!) but to be honest? I didn't even notice. I was just hoping it would never end. This was a really fun movie, the best fantasy film I've seen in forever, and I am so excited for the second and third installments. The best part about it though, is that young viewers and old alike can love it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire December 23, 2012

Excellent

I loved this movie. I went to see it with my family at the 3D high frame rate version at midnight. I found it quite violent (for some reason it seemed worse than the original ones). A dwarf king is beheaded and there is a very scary orc. I didn't hear any language and there was no romance at all. This movie was a great deal funnier than the original trilogy which made it more fun to watch. It's different from the book but still amazing. They added two more plots to the story which makes the movie even more intriguing. Altogether, this is a great movie to take your teenager to.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLadySarah December 17, 2012

Go see it - you won't regret it!

"Tolkien tale isn't as great as LOTR, but better for tweens." Really? REALLY? I would very much like to know who wrote this. On what basis can you judge the tale not as good as LOTR? They are not the same. They may be happening in the same world with same characters, but they are different. I think LOTR fans (such as myself) will enjoy it. Peter and his crew made an amazing movie! I went to see it and I was mind-blown. It ended too soon. I didn't find it "slow" as some others did, I was amazed and intrigued. I had shiver flowing through my body the entire film. I cannot describe the feeling with just words, so'll you have to go and see the movie for yourselfs. I think violence won't be a problem if you're mature enough. If you watched the LOTR trilogy and made it through without serious injuries, then you'll be just fine. :)
Teen, 17 years old Written bytripp106 December 14, 2012

Epic

It was fantastic! I went to the midnight premiere, and saw it in IMAX 3D(best way to see it). It's jaw droppingly awesome! I don't understand why CSM only gave it 3 stars!! The story is awesome! The added decent amount to the book, and changed a lot of stuff around, but it made way better! The graphics were amazing! I just wanted to sit there and stare at it for the rest of forever! As a major fan of dwarves, I was giddy the whole movie! Kili is my favorite from the book and he definitely did not disappoint in the movie!! It's a major blockbuster movie that deserves it's hype! There's nothing in it of questionability, so the only concern is the violence!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoodreviews101 April 13, 2013

Peter Jackson deserves a kick in the ass

Having seen and loved all three Lord of the Rings movies, I thought this one would be as good. I was wrong. This movie is far too long. It isn't connected to the book at all. Peter Jackson struggles to fill the almost three-hour running time with garbage that doesn't belong. I almost could not stay awake and focused when I was watching the movie. The one thing that makes this movie watchable is the acting. People who enjoyed Lord of the Rings and the read the Hobbit book should see this movie, but don't be expecting anything like the LOTR movies.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycricketcat December 24, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Peter Jackson has done it again. I went to see this and it was amazing!!!! It just might be a little intense for some sensitive or smaller kids. Also, if you see it in the theaters, some of the previews can be inappropriate. SPOILER ALERT -> Some of the more violent things you might want to watch out for is: 1) At one point, it shows a dwarf king's head that has been chopped off. It doesn't show it actually happening, but it shows the head later. Although there is no blood, it might upset some kids. 2) There is one point where Smaug (the dragon) destroys a town with fire. It's kind of intense, but there is no blood or gore shown. 3) Bilbo and Gandalf are shown smoking. Also, the dwarves drink in a few scenes.Not very many people find this a problem, but if you do,it's good to know. 4) At one point, Radagast the Brown journeys to some creepy looking ruins. In a stone doorway, there are a bunch of creepy sounds and this silhouette of a man is just floating there. A statue of something that looks like a Nazgul (if you've seen The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, you know what I'm talking about.) drops a sword after some sinister whispering. I think this movie was awesome. You should so see this movie. I can't wait until the next ones come out. Good work, Peter Jackson!!
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2013

AWESOME!

THE HOBBIT IS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byeziosbutt January 2, 2013

The Hobbit is a superfluity of intense storyline, heartwarming characters, and breathtaking scenery

This extremely enjoyable movie displays the same magic that Peter Jackson (director) was able to capture into the Lord of the Rings. The movie displayed many characters of noble heart and ambition, such as Bilbo, the homely, scared hobbit who faced his fears and confronted an adventure. Thorin, the prince of the dwarves, is a persevering leader as he eventually learns Bilbo's not so obvious heroic qualities. While they are violent throughout their quest, it is only through medieval weapons, which if your child begins to enjoy them, are a better path than automatic weapons such as guns and bombs, because with them it brings along qualities of chivalry and honor that is not present in the use of automatic weapons. This movie provides a plethora of heartwarming characters and awe-inspiring settings that combine in Tolkien's legendary tale as a wonderful movie. 5/5
Teen, 13 years old Written byGumballu December 30, 2012

What.

To much killing. this is not for kids and I would recommend reading the lord of the rings,read the hobbit ect to understand the movie. It is very confusing
Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter April 22, 2015

Not as great as LotR, but entertaining in its own right

The visuals are still top-notch, and the story is original and reliant to the source material. And the mountain fights are awesome
Kid, 12 years old April 8, 2015

As good as if not better than LOTR!

This movie trilogy is as good as LOTR! I love the characters and the action and adventure. I wouldn't say it's aimed towards younger kids though there is a lot of violence in it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe age organizer February 7, 2015

The hobbit an unexpected journey

11 and up
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2015

GREAT movie, but a bit violent.

I loved this movie! It was a really good one, but not my favorite of the three. I think it's for 12 and up. I'm 11, and I can handle blood, but the amputation of Azog was a bit.... freaky, in my ballpark... There is no swearing in this movie, and it's set place in a magical and mystical world! I thought Thorin's fight at the end was a bit vicious, and if I hadn't read the book, I would have said he was going to die at that point. That part and the amputation is why I set it for 12 and up. The tale teaches about loyalty, bravery, and courage, with Bilbo as a wonderful role-model! This was a GREAT movie, and a must-see!
Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2015

okish

not as good as the other hobbits.
Kid, 11 years old January 18, 2015

It was awesome!!!!

I think it was really great. It sticks to the book a little bit. It gets a bit boring in the beginning then the real action starts about 30 minutes into the movie. There was violence like chopping off heads and stabbing orcs and goblins. There were no swearing and drinking. The plot is really good. It is much better than the book. I didn't notice any consumerism.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJohn trevor December 26, 2014

The hobbit:an unexpected journey

Kid, 11 years old December 22, 2014

A Great Start For Another Great Trilogy

I loved this movie, as with any of Jackson's Middle Earth films. SPOILERS AHEAD- For this review, a quick recap: The films starts out with a narration by Bilbo Baggins telling how the dragon Smaug took over Erebor. It then transitions to Bilbo telling Frodo the story of his adventure. A younger Bilbo meets Gandalf who wants to take him on an adventure. Bilbo declines until he meets the dwarves. After hearing a spellbinding song about Erebor, Bilbo follows them into the wild. It is there the dwarves' leader, Thorin Oakenshield, is reminded of how he nearly defeated Azog, another one of the main villains. Then when Gandalf storms off, the company of Dwarves get captured by trolls. Gandalf then rescues them.They continue forward to Rivendell after finding swords, including the legendary Sting. The Dwarves, having hated elves, continue without Gandalf. After escaping a thunder battle, they get captured by goblins. Bilbo, however, is not with them. He meets a well known character: Gollum. He has a game of riddles and escapes with the One Ring. (see LOTR). Gandalf rescues the dwarves once again and slays the goblins' King. But Azog catches up and tries to use his wolf-like wargs to kill them. They successfully escape a burning forest and are carried away by eagles. Positive Messages: Some of the lessons within "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" are: -The dwarves' greed leading them to doom -Bilbo learning to be assertive -The friendships created between Bilbo and the Dwarves. Role Models: -Bilbo: He shows that even the smallest of people can do extraordinary things. He also shows that anyone has the power to change. -Gandalf: He sees every side of something and never acts unfair or evil. He rarely makes mistakes, and while not natural, it is good that everyone wants to be like him. -Thorin: Maybe… The thing is, Thorin is greedy at points and stubborn. But his leadership skills and bravery may make up for it. This also shows that nobody is perfect. Violence: Any good vs evil story is likely to have some. There are epic battle sequences and many deaths of evil characters. The major death of a good character was Thror's (Thorin's grandfather) death. The most violent scenes in the film were: -Smaug wrecking Erebor -Thror's Death -Azog's loss of a hand -The Dol Guldur Sequence (More about DG in "Desolation of Smaug" -The Goblin King's death -The forest fire scene Consumerism: Many toys were made after the release of this film. Nevertheless, the films deserves money.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew September 16, 2014

Book based movie has plenty of messages but violence and potty humor

My rating:PG-13 for intense fantasy violence and action and scary images
Kid, 11 years old August 23, 2014

Depends on child....great watch

Okay I LOVED the Hobbit when I watched it a few weeks ago, but I do have a couple of things to say about it. I'm guessing most parents are wondering if their child should watch it and it really depends on the child. If you have a 7 year old, (like in our family,) who doesn't get nervous at all around movies with more action and adventure then it would be GREAT for your child. A great test to see if your child is ready is to have them watch the Narnia series, it has a little bit of action and a couple of battles scenes, not gory at all, and if your child is perfectly fine with it, has no nervous bouts then its pretty safe to say the the Hobbit would be fine with some watching of the child. The Hobbit does have a lot of action and scary scenes, but it also has great messages. So really age doesn't count, it's the child in my opinion. One more thing about the Hobbit relating to violence was that the character, Gollum, is pretty scary at first. I was a little on edge because he's really creepy (more so than the Lord of the Rings) I got used to him later, but first time glimpse is.... not pretty. Curse words are not existent in the Hobbit, same with inappropriate clothing. No romance at all in this movie, though there is a little bit (nothing bad) in the Desolation of Smaug. There is the concept of magic, but not a whole lot, nothing like in the Lord of the Rings. And yes, there IS a little drinking and smoking, but I didn't notice it that much. Overall, it's a great movie though!