All member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Tolkien tale isn't as great as LOTR, but better for tweens.

Kid, 8 years old August 8, 2014

the hobbit

I loved the Hobbit; it was definitely not disappointing however there were a few negatives to this wonderful production which I found particularly annoying, since everything else was so brilliant. I was the most annoyed however by an irritating problem - being that there were too many tiring, complicated subplots and a too short and simple plot while the subplots just added unnecessary scenes. Another thing worthwhile mentioning is that you must be ready for a drawn out, but I must remind you action packed and exciting, film. I greatly advise you see it - and as soon as possible!
Kid, 12 years old July 22, 2014

Not Bad For A First

This movie is a great feel good movie for tweens. Most of the characters smoke pipes, and there is violence but it is a compelling movie.
Kid, 10 years old July 12, 2014

An unexpected pleasure!

This is a very fun movie for fantasy fans- however I won't call it a family friendly 'light' movie. There is quite a lot of violence and frightening fantasy scenes. The Orcs are quite scary for younger viewers and the goblins are just plain disgusting. Blibo Baggins is a fun character to follow throughout the movie, and a happy character is always a must for would-be scary movies. Gollum is a slightly frightening character, but I found his obsession with games quite cute, although the development of the character is quite sad. I say to watch the movie before you watch it with children, and to make sure your child is not sensitive to fires, dragons or Orcs, Goblins and Gollums of any kind. Thanks for reading my review, Gothilocks.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlex L H July 6, 2014

Read the book insted

I read the Hobbit before I saw the movie but I have not seen or read lord of the rings, So I cannot say if this was better of not. Whatever age your kid is I would recommend that they read or listen to the book first. And if they younger than 13 I would recommend they just read the book and hold off on the movie. The movie was much more violent than the book was because in the book the dwarves Bilbo was traveling with were not warriors at all, which made the story better. In the movie they were all warriors and there was a lot of fighting also the storyline was edited so that there could be even more violence and fighting. Also there are many moments that could be scary to kids, there is Gollum who is extremely creepy looking, and many weird looking creatures. There is also are giant spiders and a moment where someone is decapitated also a part where someone loses an arm. It is also a very intense movie. The book is far less intense and has less violence I would recommend reading the book instead. Or at least reading it first. It was a good movie just scary, violent, and intense. But it is ok for teens and hardcore tweens.
Kid, 11 years old June 29, 2014

The Hobbit: The Boring Journey

Hobbit 2: Desolation of Smaug was extremely good. I saw this one, the first in the movie theater in IMAX 3D, and the movie's 3D was very amazing like Avatar, but only the beginning and end were fun. The middle was very boring. I never fell asleep even in the boring movies of all time, but I did for two minutes in this! But the beginning and end were awesome.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysalagol May 1, 2014

the best movie of 2012

Teen, 14 years old Written byrating_guy April 29, 2014

hobbit

The first hobbit was bad, but is wasn't the best. It still is a great fantasy film that has laughs, action, and a good plot. PG-13: extended sequences of Intense fantasy action and violence, Some battle sequences and for Frighting images
Teen, 13 years old Written byNadra A'dia Lacey April 23, 2014

Amazing!

Literally one of my favorite movies ever. Absolutely amazing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck April 16, 2014

An unexpected journey (and 2 sequels.)

This movie is 1/3 of a story of bravery and excitement. Some violence (with no blood.) Things that they just kinda added even though it wasn't in the book and 20+ minutes of nothing but eagles flying around because they for some reason can't tell a short story in 3 hours. Don't get me wrong,it's still good, I think you should watch it, but seriously, they should've just made it one movie.
Kid, 12 years old April 8, 2014

AWESOME

GREAT
Kid, 11 years old February 20, 2014

Funny fun and a ring

Action packed and amazing! Peter jackson and co did their best and brought most the best! Some smoking drinking and a decapatation
Kid, 9 years old February 19, 2014

I couldn't sleep at night!

I didn't give this movie one star because the overall plot is fascinating, but I stuck with two because "The Hobbit" is only good for people who like the art of way-too-violent-for-PG-13 movies. I was honestly fine with 85% of this movie, but the final Hey-a-dragon-is-going-to-come-for-you scene really put some bad thoughts in my head. If you want to see this movie, just be prepared. You have been warned.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMr Blonde January 28, 2014
Lots of fun when it gets going but fans of these types of movies (epic fantasy movies) will like the start too. It does suffer from being too long much like the rest of the Lord of the Rings films even though this one is significantly shorter. The action can drag on for too long at times.
Kid, 11 years old January 20, 2014

Great, but much violence.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is definitely one of my favourite movies, but I watched it...well...by accident. You see, my dad and I, along with all my family assumed it was PG, because that is what we were told. My younger siblings weren't allowed to come - we weren't ready to take the chance! So it was just me and my dad. the movie started. It was fantastic!...until a dwarf's head comes off. Dad covers my eyes with his hand. I hear him whisper to someone nearby "This has to be PG-13." Anyway, dad was too hooked in the movie to take me out of the cinema, so we kept watching. The trolls weren't too violent, but goblin town was. The great goblin is sliced through the stomach with a sword - nearly in half. Bilbo Baggins, as the main character, is a peace-loving hobbit who knows of no monsters and certainly not adventures, but it goes to show that even little guys can go on big adventures. The whole movie is to reclaim the lost dwarf-kingdom of Erebor which was taken from them by the dragon, Smaug. Also, the main character smokes a pipe, along with a few of the thirteen dwarves. No need to fill your head with this sort of violence until you're about fifteen.
Kid, 11 years old January 19, 2014

BEST MOVIE EVER

I THOUGHT IT WAS A REALLY GOOD MOVIE WITH ACTION NOT TO MUCH VIOLINCE AND THEY GOT GOOD ACTORS AND ACTRES'S TO PLAY IN IT. PETER JACKSON DIDNT REALLY MAKE IT LIKE THE BOOK EVEN THOUGH HE MADE THE LORD OF THE RINGS GREAT.ANYWAYS ITS MY FAVORITE MOVIE OTHER THAN THE SECOND ONE AND HUNGER GAMES CATCHING FIRE.
Teen, 14 years old Written byilikepie367 January 5, 2014

Boring

I liked Lord of the Rings, but I found this boring... almost everyone I was watching with fell asleep, and my friend told me they fell asleep in the theater when they watched it.
Kid, 10 years old January 3, 2014

boring

This movie is not violent at all and so slow and their is no violence or scariness until the end of the movie when they fight the orcs. It has an ending that will make you dying for the next one. If they had more action sequences this movie would have been more exciting. This movie I thought was below okay and all three movies of lord of the rings are 10 times better than this disappointing boring movie. Fine for 8 years old.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFamilyTrek January 2, 2014

Really good but the second is better.

Mild fantasy violence: We hear a story about a Lord's head being chopped off. We briefly see a monster holding it up in the air for three seconds. A wolf comes to attack the dwarves but one of the them shoots it with a bow and arrow. We don't see the wolfs dead body or anything.
Kid, 11 years old December 28, 2013