All member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Tolkien tale isn't as great as LOTR, but better for tweens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byanakin007 October 5, 2013

good but not for a tolkien book

I saw it it was off from the book especially the goblin azog pros no language, no sex cons seemed alittle to epic tolkien wrote the book for kids people smoke and drink but not always
Teen, 14 years old Written byNoa_iak September 25, 2013

Hated it, boring over-rated movie

A really boring movie. It is 3 hours long and gets kind of intersting only after 2 hours. My friend that set next to my kept complaining that there aren't even girls to look on, I don't know how much it mattrs to you though..
Teen, 17 years old Written byMovie fan HDR September 2, 2013

Good

I think it's great for kids .pg for intense sequences of battle scenes and action including scary images.
Kid, 11 years old August 27, 2013

good movie

this is a good movie. it is fine for kids ages 4 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byI am a completionst August 9, 2013

A good start to the hobbit trilogy.

My rating: PG-13 for fantasy violence, and brief smoking. Much tamer than the original trilogy that's for sure. I really liked the parts they portrayed that were in the book, however, I also didn't like the parts they portrayed that were not in the book. I know, the original trilogy added parts, but they did them so well. In the movie, there is a subplot involving this CGI pale white orc that just didn't interest me. Also there is "Rataghast the Brown" , who was important to the plot, but also acted like the Jar Jar Binks of middle earth. However,I felt like I've said that 100 hundred times now, the main cast kills it as their characters. I really liked the movie, it's just that some parts were a little unnecessary. Those parts are few and it really is a great movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovie Nerd August 4, 2013

COOL!!!

It's a good action packed adventure for any age group.
Teen, 15 years old Written byanoesis23 August 1, 2013

Nothing unexpected, both good and bad.

Action! I could hardly believe how much action was packed into this film; it felt as if it went past in an hour! Yet its viewing time is 3 hours. If you think about it, the book is tiny. Its amazing enough that Jackson decided to release The Hobbit in three parts, but still manages so much action in the first film - for three solid hours! I watched it in 3D, 48fps. Yes, I agree with the many others who say that it makes it feel as if you were right in the scene. More accurately, right in on the set, with computer layered backdrops surrounding you. I don't know if it is just me, but the lighting or set, or something, made it visually extremely unrealistic the whole way through, from the opening scenes with the candle lighting to the Thorin-Azog duel near the end (the exception being probably the Gollum scenes - and Andy Serkis was amazing, as expected). It wasn't so much the CGI and editing, but more the sets and lighting that achieved this negative effect Martin Freeman played Bilbo very well; his humorous character was a great reflection of the book's light-hearted storytelling. Of course, on the whole, the film was more serious and darker than the book, but a semi-detatched fairytale style would never work for a movie. Likewise, all the other characters were brilliant, the dwarves especially. I have read some comments on the differences between the portrayal of Gimli from LOTR compared to the portrayals of these dwarves in The Hobbit, how Gimli seemed more serious and felt to the audience as more competent, confident and knew what he was doing. This, of course, cannot be said for all the 13 in The Hobbit, "Bend the forks and smash the plates, that's what Bilbo Baggins hates!" and all. Do remember that Gimli was from a war clan, and most of these 13 were not, they were miners and blacksmiths, farmers even, perhaps, so do not expect the solid Gimli performance from them. A note on the portrayal of Erebor. Too grand, too showy, I reckon. And the dragon was disappointing. With movies like Eragon, though nowhere near this standard, the dragons were beautiful creatures. Smaug did not quite manage that terrible beauty aspect that would have made him the highlight he should be. Music. Absolutely amazing. Howard Shore is an amazing composer, and his themes ring with the essence of Tolkien. The main theme for the film series really brings to mind the grand caverns and massive mountain chambers of Tolkien's dwarven lords "in their halls of stone". The haunting, almost a capella Misty Mountains sung by the dwarven company was exhilarating to listen to, applause to Richard Armitage and the others who had to learn to "sing like dwarves", and made a great job of it. With the Lord of the Rings trilogy being 10/10, I would rate The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 6.5/10. Peter Jackson is an amazing director, Howard Shore an amazing composer, but some kind of apex was reached in LOTR, and I had always known that The Hobbit would not reach that standard of satisfaction for me, with or without new technologies. I cannot say it was bad, however - it wasn't. But neither did it impress much, to be honest. In any case, I am looking forward to The Desolation of Smaug.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLordoftheRings1997 July 23, 2013

Amazing Follow up to Lord of the Rings!

I am already a major fan of Lord of the Rings - as in a slightly obsessed fan - and The Hobbit only makes me love the world of Middle Earth more! The changes PJ made actually made the story easier to follow, and much more enjoyable! There is some violence, the worse being two different people having their heads cut off. One scene is shown with the persons head being lifted into the air by a VERY bad guy, the other shows it being knocked off the body. Neither scene is bloody, but not for young children. Smoking and drinking is shown, mainly because it is a part of the culture of Middle Earth, much like it was a part of the culture when Tolkien wrote the book! Bilbo is a great role model, and was wonderfully acted by Martin Freeman! Messages about loyalty, courage, honor, and right vs. wrong are infused into this film. And this movie is funny too, much lighter in tone than LOTR was! The only humor that I take issue with is in Bilbo's house when the dwarves hold a brief burping competition, though even I couldn't help but giggle at one of them! There are some concerns about the extended edition of the DVD, coming in November. The extended edition was rated PG-13, just like the original, but with the added problem of... brief nudity? Guess we'll have to see. I give this movie a 5 out of 5 stars! PJ has done it again!
Teen, 15 years old Written byRockAndRollKid July 19, 2013

Great movie! But very scary for kids under 11.

Its a great movie! Just about everything in the movie is fine for the kids.. Until the action and frightening scenes. Before I say why it should be for 12 and up I want to say what the movies about. So this movie basicly takes place a few decades before lord of the rings. It's about a hobbit who finds grand off and gandoff wants him to join his team to fight a dragon. The set off looking for the dragon that has terrorized villages and killed villagers including parents and kids. Gandoff and his group come through lots of monsters including trolls,these wild wolves that chase them down the entire movie,and Theese slimy ugly things I didn't even like. They end off not finding the dragon but that's why they are going to make a part 2. So the main reason the movie isn't for young kids is because it is scary and a bit to wild for young kids to see. They have sword fights,and fights, and just tons of intense scary scenes even though the movie isn't horror. It's also a bit sad because several people die in the movie and theirs a flashback in the beggining when you see a dragon attacking villagers and kids and doing lots of damage. They do tie this movie well into Lord of the rings like for example they had the character Gotham who prob aint in the next movie even though he was in this one and lord of the rings, Gotham is this crazy man eating creature that looks like he's a human but is very skinny and lives in a dark game. He is a little bit crazy though wich is saying hes mad because hes been in the cave for too long with out anybody to eat. Anyways besides the violonce and horror older teens and preteens would like this movie because they have a great story line and they tie it in well with Lord Of The Rings.
Kid, 11 years old July 13, 2013

Weird, creepy, gross movie not worth watching adults only

Extremely violent, I didn't like it, when I saw it I got grossed out. The king ends up decapitated, the dragon burns down the town, and the hobbit almost vomits! Also random people barged into his house! He was also talking about how clogged the toilet was! I say adults ONLY.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfreckledoll July 9, 2013

Action-packed magical prequel

Great movie to go see with your family. Bonus experience points if you see it in IMAX like I did. CGI was very well done with all the magical creatures throughout the movie (goblins, orcs, Gollum, dragon, giant eagles, etc.) Very loud and action-y. Bilbo is a very likeable character who relies on logic and cleverness to get through all the perilous adventures he has with the dwaves. Some creepy/scary scenes (especially with Gollum.) Very serene beginning that will tug at the heartstrings of major Tolkien fans. Thoroughly enjoyable movie that will leave you on the edge of your seat.
Kid, 12 years old July 1, 2013

Wonderful!

I loved this movie. It was a great storyline, it was funny, and had tons of intense action. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that in the book, the orcs were only in a section of it, but in this movie, they were the main antagonists.
Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

This was a pretty good movie. I really enjoyed it. There are many boring and dull scenes though. Also, the movie 169 minutes long, so if you tend to get bored and fall asleep during movies this is not for you! The movie is a great family film for tweens and up. I must warn you though, the violence is pretty intense including a decapitation and arm amputation and pretty scary orcs. Gollum is also very scary and frightening. The characters drink alcohol and smoke pipes, but I didn't find this an issue. Overall this is a very good movie. But if your child is easily frightened or has nightmares because of some scary monsters I would wait on this movie.
Kid, 8 years old May 30, 2013

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooovoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooovvoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooovvoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove this movie. but with some smoking and tons of violence.
Kid, 12 years old May 28, 2013

Part one

The hobbit is a movie about a hobbits adventure to help out his dwarf friends. It is a three part movie series and this is only the first and it was very good and I cant wait to see the next ones. It doesn't follow the book exactly, but pretty close. It is a bit more serious than the book and is a must-see. I really enjoyed the hobbit and think it is a movie for just about everyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydeJong May 28, 2013

Surprising

The Hobbit was a surprising movie. I was surprised because I thought it would be a nerd movie, but I ended up really liking it. There is some violence and might be a little scary for kids. There is a little bit of smoking, but not bad. Awesome movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byemcfa3000 May 27, 2013

OK

When I read some of the reviews of other movies, I was surprised at the amount of people who put the rating older than I am, but I saw the film a few years ago, when I was younger. Never cause any problems. This film is more suitable than all those films, but if you have a child or are a child that crys at everything, don't watch it, there are troll things. In terms of how good it is, it's slow, good at times but I wanted to leave the cinema at times. Wouldn't watch it again.
Kid, 12 years old May 23, 2013

The Hobbit

The Hobbit is a fun adventurous movie where dwarfs go on a "mission" to reclaim their mountain that was tooken by the orcs. The dwarfs go through some battles with a hobbit named Baggins who they don't accept yet as one of their on but the battles for instance are like fighting orcs, trolls, goblins, and rock wars. This movie is very 'tense' if your up for an adventure.
Parent Written byTee81 May 12, 2013

Very Disappointing

As a Tolkien fan, I was excited to rent this movie. I've read the book with my children, but decided to watch the movie alone first before showing it to them. I'm sure glad I did! In my opinion, the villains in The Hobbit are just as scary and gruesome as the orcs in LOTR. The viewer is also introduced to Radagast the Brown, a wizard, who plays a much greater part than he ever did in the book. At one point, Gandalf offers him his pipe and Radagast makes like he's getting stoned. Not appropriate. The dwarves make several off-color jokes and one of the fight scenes shows a dwarf hitting a baddie between the legs and the baddie falls over in pain. The Hobbit is a story for children, but I will not be letting my children watch this. The monsters are too scary ( I mean, they even gave ME the creeps), the fights scenes are too violent (decapitations and such) and there is just too much rude/inappropriate humor. I love the world of Tolkien, but in my opinion, this movie sullies that universe.
Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2013

Great!

I love this movie and its 2012 one of best movie I'd recommend 10+ because I saw this in theaters when I was nine and there were some intense sene throughout and disturbing images of fantasy violins and gore violonce.so when I saw it again nothing was nothing disturbing and i was 10nothing gory and violent disturbing and I mostly payed attention to it more tan idid to it in theater I'd say 10+ and 5/5 stars