All member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Tolkien tale isn't as great as LOTR, but better for tweens.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 April 14, 2013

The Hobbit movie would make J.R.R Tolkien proud

The Hobbit is one of the best movies of the year. It is exciting, it stays true to the book, and Martin Freeman is excellent as the hobbit. The special effects are great and so is the movie. Watch it.
Kid, 9 years old April 2, 2013

Rating

The Hobbit is a amazing movie. I do not agree that it is a 11 and older show. It is very good. There is no bad words at all. But at sometimes it could be intense for your children too see. Lots of fighting with swords in this movie. I saw this movie when i was nine years old.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhomealonefan123 March 25, 2013

LEARNING

Less violent than TLOTR, but very intense

Parents need to know that this movie is quite violent, but less violent than The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The sequences of violence are very intense, including prolonged battle sequences, some carnage, and lots more. There is no swearing or sexual content, but Gandalf constantly smokes a pipe, where people don't know what he is smoking.
Kid, 10 years old March 25, 2013

freakin awesome

cool movie!!!!!!! i love this movie and im hoping to see the other two!!!!!! watch it
Teen, 13 years old Written byJimmy Jimmy March 20, 2013

Excellent

Its a great film for tweens and up. It provides just what tweens want violence but not gore.
Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2013

the hobbit

epic just epic this movie was awesome very clean in one part they say a word that is supposed to mean the a word and violence that might be scary for some kids 9+ for sure!
Teen, 14 years old Written byLovelypopular123 February 28, 2013

Gollum and death

Gollum scared my child so bad and she is 14 years old. She has nightmares and she comes in my room and says " is Gollum gonna eat me". Plus there is way to much violence.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byZEMom February 24, 2013

Beautiful movie, true to LOTR, but VIOLENT in places

My 13 1/2 yr old son and I watched in the theatre. We were both shocked at the age 11 rating. While it is beautiful and magical and we both liked the movie very much, the violent battle scenes and the creepy head orc are very disturbing, fast-paced, and graphic so we would definitely NOT recommend for anyone younger than 13.
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2013

The Hobbit

I LOVE this movie so much! It really leaves you hanging at the end. It has some violence. Some scenes show blood so if you don't like blood don't watch this! It has no language that I can think of. Some of it might be a little scary. A village burns down and some people die. I would really recommend this if you like action and adventure!
Kid, 9 years old February 16, 2013

THE BEST

THE BET MOVIE EVER 3STARS WHY THAT I SAW IT ON THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS EVE
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Man Goose February 13, 2013

Great movie, bit of violence

A really good movie with breathtaking graphics and a robust storyline. Was a bit violent, with the aforementioned decapitation, but that does not compare with many movies. Anybody who liked LOTR or The Hobbit ought to see this.
Kid, 10 years old February 10, 2013

THE HOBBIT FROM A 10 YEAROLD'S EYES.

I went with my dad to see the hobbit when I was 10 and I loved it. Since I already read it, I was really excited to watch it. In the first scene my heart started beating a little faster than usual (because it was pg-13), but by the time they started on their adventure I really liked it. There is a lot of blood and gore I do have to admit, but if you go with someone my age don't leave right when you start to think the violence is to inappropriate for them, let them make the choice of staying and watching it, or stop watching it on their own, and tell them it's all a fantasy.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOrangepike January 29, 2013

What?

Why is this somehow okay for kids? This is surprising considering it rates medium in many categories. Many games I've looked at on this site have less demeaning factors, but rate "Not For Kids" anyway. Hello? I'm just pumping in some logic here. They also don't account for the tense or scary moments that occur throughout the movie that might put on edge these kids who are able to watch this movie but not play Halo, for example.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMaggieeg2 January 28, 2013

Beautiful, I cried... Twice

This is an outstanding movie. Althought it is 2 hours and 45 minutes, plus around 15-25 minutes of commericals it adds up to a 3 hour movie. I have sene this movie around 3 times, the first in 3D and 48 frames it was outstanding, the second was 2D but still managable (I was with my mom who can't stand 3D), and the third 3D. The movie does have a postive message, but with a little violence mixed in and a few pipe smokers but still great. But do warn if you bring children under 7 give them walking breaks because they will get jittery, I learn that the hard way with my brother. Others may dissagree with my out take of the outstanding film because I am a major LOTR fan but still. But, remember there is a outstanding cliff hanger! Plus, it beautifully stuck the the Hobbit story line. Can't wait for the second, and third!
Kid, 11 years old January 28, 2013

great movie but lots of violence and scary things

i am really sensitive and i really didnt like the gory action sequences. when it got closer to the end i got less scared. it has a great ending. just as a warning- if you take your sensitive child, dont take them in 3d. it intesifies it too much.
Kid, 12 years old January 27, 2013

the hobbit

some scary scenes the orc leader is a frighting sight positive role models like young bilbo baggins is scared to do the kourney at first but gets through it quite well the dwarves drink beer gandoff and bilbo smoke a smokers pipe in one scene language ass meaning jankie
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2013

An 11 year olds review of The Hobbit.

It is a great movie. I am 11 and it was a bit intense for even me. All in all, it was a very good action packed movie but was also very violent and I would not recomend it for anyone under the age of 10. The thing I was kind of bummed about was that it is only a third of the actual book.
Parent Written bydavidrox January 21, 2013

okay

It was okay. the plot line was good and the actors were, good and the special effects were FANTASTIC, but it dragged on too long for me and my son jack. no language, or sex, but the violence is intense sometimes. My MPAA Rating is: PG-13 for continuous fantasy violence
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 January 20, 2013

The Hobbit is okay, Not as good as The Lord of the Rings trilogy

The Hobbit was one of those movies that I was really looking forward to. After I saw it for the first time, I gave it four stars. But the second time around I decided to give it three stars. This is simply because the CGI was too obvious in parts. The trolls didn’t look real like they did in the lord of the rings. Another thing was that the pace was so dysfunctional. The Lord of the Rings had a steady pace. Maybe I’m being a little too critical because it’s better than most fantasy films. But when Peter Jackson sets the bar as high as he did with the lord of the rings series, you expect nothing less than perfection. On the positive side there is a lot of positive message and there is no nudity or language. The violence is not as intense as the lord of the rings series but is still light PG-13 type violence. I would say that you should see it, but just go with low expectations. :)
Adult Written bydarthsitkur January 18, 2013

better than The Lord Of The Rings

the hobbit was incredible, and it had even more crazy action than the lord of the rings movies lol