All member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Tolkien tale isn't as great as LOTR, but better for tweens.

Parent Written bysadiedira January 16, 2013

Great Movie!!!!!!

Huge cliff hanger! Great dialog and camera angles! The story sticks to the book and Great acting! Coputer anime rocked!! highly recomend!!!!!!
Parent of a 10, 11, 13, and 15 year old Written byHighTechDad January 16, 2013

Another movie similar to the Lord of the Rings trilogy

This movie was entertaining but much longer than it should have been. It felt much like the three Lord of the Rings movies that came before it; if you liked those movies, then you will like this one. The movie was extremely violent, as you might expect. While I enjoyed the three LOTR movies greatly, and even enjoyed this one, I will feel no great need to see the next two installments of The Hobbit. The scenery and settings were fantastic. My tween and teen boys certainly enjoyed it.
Educator and Parent Written bymoderndaymom January 12, 2013

Beware of previews for younger children

The previews were much more violent than the movie, in a condensed in your face kind of way. My 11 year old had read the book and had no problem with the movie, but during the previews leaned over and said "I see why this is PG-13"
Teen, 13 years old Written byALFADAWG January 12, 2013

One of the best movies ever

This movie is fantastic. the action is great, the acting is great, the graphics are great, and the story is great. i liked this movie as much as the lord of the rings. it had more humor, but the action was more intense. with the last ten years things look even better than the lst movies. there are many violent scenes, including a high amount of death, paril, chases, and decapitation. there are about four or five times during fights that heads or arms are sliced off. things like dead bodies and a stomach that was sliced open are also shown. this movie ti amazing with so many good elements, but wait till your older to see it.
Kid, 12 years old January 7, 2013

Long, But Flies By

I watched this movie very recently, and I thought it was fantastic! The reason I rated it pause for my age is that some children might be sensitive to the violence, or just be scared of the orks and Gollum. Some might find the movie boring, since it is three hours long. It flew by for me, but then again; a relative of mine the same age fell asleep. It was still a very enjoyable movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat!
Educator Written byRbeaudrie January 7, 2013

Great movie, too scary for younger kids

Teen, 15 years old Written bybookee January 7, 2013

the hobbit: an unexpected satisfaction

Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. January 5, 2013

The Hobbit

I will be completely honest in my review. The Hobbit an unexpected was a little disappointing in my opinion. I loved the book when my fifth grade teacher read it to me and the class. When I first seen the trailer to the movie a year ago, it seemed impossible to wait that long. Well like every other movie it came. I just seen it today a few hours ago, and... Well, not the best. I was so eager to see it, and the first half is great, until it gets lost in all the mayhem. Don't get me wrong I did like the movie bust it just wasn't lord of the rings, and it tried so hard to be its own individual thing, instead of the traditional lord of rings storytelling. The main issue is that the run time is brutal, even for hardcore fans of Jackson's epic Lord of the rings trilogy. Where that trilogy made sense as 3 separate movies. That was okay because it was 3 separate books. The Hobbit doesn't pace good enough to be three movies. The hobbit easily could have been one movie, instead of part 1. But I think I was disappointed because it didn't really stay true to the book. Jackson easily could have made this into one long LOTR's type movie,and it would have been fine. But hey don't let my review stop you from liking it. However this is just as violent as the first lord of the rings, there are several decapitations, impaling's, stabbings, with swords and knives bashing with hammers, one characters head is held up high and then thrown, and its shown rolling. An orc is eaten by three wolves, and many characters being hit with flying arrows, in the face, head, chest. Orc's and goblins fall from great heights, and Gollum bashes a goblins head with a stone. Three mountain giants bash each other senseless in a colossal fight. But none of it is worse than the first LOTR's. I recommend this movie to LOTR fans, but fans of the book may mildly disappointed, like me.
Parent Written byLepida January 5, 2013

Stunning and full of fun

A gorgeous, exciting movie for fans of the series. Beware short attention spans, however - this first movie in a trilogy is nearly three hours long. Some violence but no gore, so safe for tweens. Fun dialogue and truly lovable characters. The family (predominantly teenagers) went to see it twice and absolutely loved it. Can't recommend it enough.
Teen, 16 years old Written byblank_disk January 4, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

This movie is one of the best I've seen personally. I thought that Peter Jackson did a superb job in amping up the standard 24 frames per second to 48 making the photography a treat to watch, as well as the special effects, because since I watched it in UltraAVX, 3D I found myself ducking a few times when the shrubbery was coming toward the screen. The acting cast was excellent. Martin Freeman nailed the part of Bilbo Baggins. Also the issues this film dealt with were very good. Honestly, though, I wouldn't take a regular 7-9 year old (of course this is based on maturity) to this flick. It's pretty violent, after my dad watched it he even commented that he thought The Hunger Games seemed small in comparision with the deaths of Goblins, Trolls, Orcs, those weird wolf things. I remember one scene when heads seemed to be flying off in every direction, (that's probably because I watched the movie in UltraAVX 3D) but still, young kids for sure should NOT be watching that. I personally loved the fact that they added a whole back story on Thorin, because that just seemed to make his whole demeanor in the book make sense. For foul language I don't exactly consider jacksy a swear. But if you guys consider that offensive and can watch a movie with 5-10 F-bombs in it, and not mind it, well then, I consider that double-standard. Also, Bilbo does smoke a pipe, but it's only really in one scene when he's talking to Gandalf, which was in the book. The scene with Gollum/Smeagle was pretty funny, but could creep out some younger audiences. There is a reason that this flick was rated PG-13 in the U.S. and not a children's rating. All in all, a movie worth watching several times. 5/5 stars for this one. But that's just my two cents.
Kid, 9 years old January 4, 2013

the hobbit is a good way to end 2012 !

the hobbit is less violint than lord of the rings . peter jackson worked hard on the movie . i told my to see it. its the best movie of 2012 to the begining of of 2013. bilbo is very caring for his home but he went because he relized that he has a home and the dwarvs dont.the only bad word is the a word . there are some carroctors eating and smoking on a pipe . it shoud be rated pg .and i recommend pause for ages 5 and under and good for ages 6
Teen, 14 years old Written byKatySpears58 January 4, 2013

Peter Jackson did it again.

This movie is very violent. There are quite a few scary fight scenes which might disturb young viewers including a fire and a main character almost dying There is also some smoking in a few of the early scenes but it's pretty mild. The movie is great and it has positive messages. Example: Thorin finally accepting Bilbo and Bilbo sparing Smeagol. I have been a Lord Of The Rings fan since I was 5 and I was able to handle all the violence. My father watched the movies with me though and told me we could talk about anything if we needed to. If a younger child wants to see it , I would suggest watching it with them and talking about it after. This is a quality movie though and defiantly worth watching.
Teen, 13 years old Written byadam8 January 4, 2013

AMAZING!!!!!!

This movie was amazing! We got to see this movie in 3D, and it was beyond words. This movie was MADE for 3D. But If you HAVE to not see it in 3D, It will still be very good. I would say that they were pretty much accurate to the book, other than a few parts that made the movie better anyways. I really liked all the dwarves personalities. There was some pretty cool stuff going on with the dwarves towards the beginning of the movie. If I had to compare it to LOTR, I would have to say that I don't know. They're both like my favorite movies of all time. I can't wait to see what they do with the next two movies! I definitely would tell you to get over to the theater as fast as you can and go see THE HOBBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, there is some violence, and some smoking. There is also a small bit of drinking. There is some consumerism, just with them trying to get the gold back. Nevertheless, GO AND SEE IT!
Kid, 8 years old January 4, 2013

not sure

i don't even know what it's really rated, some people tell me it's rated R, and most tell me it's PG-13. i'm confused. but the message i get it's either okay or not good. but it's mainly violence.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHidalgo99 January 4, 2013

Bilbo's Adventure Is A Blast

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is based on The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and is one of three movies coming out over the coming years based on the novel. However this film heavily deviates from the book adding subplots as well as setting up The Lord of The Rings movies that take place after this film. In this respect Jackson does well even though it's an odd way to go about a story. It is a long movie and for a lot of kids may be boring throughout the first hour which sets up the story. After this the story whizz ws along with goblin battles, trolls and the magnificent Gollum who looks even better than in the LOTR trilogy. This character as well as most of the goblins and orcs will be scary to some children. This film is presented in a high frame rate in some theaters and can be nauseating and headache inducing for some and does not really effect the storyline so it can be skipped. Overall The Hobbit Part 1 is great fun and even if it starts slow it becomes a thrilling, fantastic ride
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2013

the Hobbit is suprisingly scary

The Hobbit was FANTASTIC! There is no sex, barely any drinking, and tons of smoking but the main thing is violence. This movie was 10 times scarier then the LOTR trilogy. There are many jump scenes, intense moments, and scary creatures. Before you go see it, make sure you feel like you can handle that content. Overall its a must see!
Kid, 11 years old January 4, 2013

THIS MOVIE IS GREEEEEEAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the hobbit was a really good movie. It is good for basically the whole family! Their are no inappropriate scenes at all in the movie. The only flaw in the movie is that the man who acts Thorin Oakenshield happens to stand at 6'2'' while acting a dwarf. The violence is pretty mild other than a few scenes. It is very similar to the book besides a few things. One reason it is similar to the book is that Gandalf seems to make everything he has to deal with work out. I think the creators chose a very good actor to play Bilbo. He is very close to the way he is in the book If you have ever seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy and like it, I encourage you to see "The Hobbit." That and Lord of the Rings are definitely, by far, the greatest movies I have ever seen. You have to see this movie as soon as you can.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHeq073198 January 3, 2013

A great movie, but unnecessary series.

The Hobbit's lighter undertone makes it feel like almost a different world from LOTR. It was light, fun, and whimsical, but its length was arduous and after reading the book I was sitting there waiting for certain things to happen, thinking "Where in Middle Earth is Smaug?!" And then it just ends, and I found out that it was going to be a trilogy. Absolutely unnecessary. The LOTR books each got one movie, and they were each longer than the Hobbit. But, from a business point of view, I understand the motives making the Hobbit into a giant franchise.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEireLemon January 2, 2013

Hard to Understand

This movie is hard for kids to understand kids. I think it's a waste of money if kids can't understand the movie. If you feel your kid is very smart, go for 10 yo +.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 December 31, 2012

Bloated, but still enjoyable

This movie certainly isn't "Lord of the Rings," but it's an all right start to what will surely be an epic series. Some of it gets bogged down with the lame troll talk and the Dwarve's singing, but I hear "The Hobbit" is more children based than "LOTR" anyway. I'm hoping "Smaug" will be an improvement, but you still can't beat "Journey's" astonishing special effects!