All member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Tolkien tale isn't as great as LOTR, but better for tweens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNature Kid April 30, 2013

Overall, it's pretty good and worth watching.

It's a great movie, but not for some of the younger audiences. While it may be true that eleven is slightly over the top, it isn't that far off. There are some scenes that wouldn't be appropriate for younger children. Even nine is pushing it. If you or your child have a fear of blood, heights, unfair animal treatment (even if they don't die), small dark crevices, or creepy little creatures that talk to a ring and call it "Precious", this movie might not be for you. It's not that it's an incredibly violent movie... it just has a few scenes that parents may want to speak to their children about after it's over. However, there are many good things to be learned from this. Since beliefs about what positive role models and positive messages refer to may differ, here are a few: - Loyalty - Friendship - Overcoming pride - Self sacrifice (This is definitely one to talk about to kids. Specifically the 'when' and 'where' part.) - Courage - Stepping out of your comfort zone (You could say this is another discussion starter.) - Going against tradition/refusing to give in to peer pressure (This is definitely one to talk about. It could be considered either, so you may want to try to convince the little ones that not ALL tradition is bad, etc.) Those are only a few of the positive messages/role models that pop up. Of course you'll take what you will from it, and what you take from it might be different from what I did. On the other hand, though, I do hope that you watch it and get as much out of it as I did! Have fun watching; it's worth it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byAnnieC April 23, 2013

as good as the book

Part one of the Hobbit is the beginning of Bilbo Baggins' adventure. Bilbo and the dwarves face many trials, both physically and mentally. One of the big lessons is trust. Thorin has to learn to trust and stop doubting Bilbo. Another lesson is in courage. Even though Bilbo is scared, he still faces his fears and enters dangerous situations. I hope the other two parts will be as good as this one. It's a great movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKayla502802 April 23, 2013

neardy movie

This movie is about a hobbit is who doesn't like to go out of his house (hole) and a wizard and dwarfs found him and they go on an journey to win the dwarfs kingdom back they do have a lot of violence but besides that it was a great movie
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 April 14, 2013

The Hobbit movie would make J.R.R Tolkien proud

The Hobbit is one of the best movies of the year. It is exciting, it stays true to the book, and Martin Freeman is excellent as the hobbit. The special effects are great and so is the movie. Watch it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhomealonefan123 March 25, 2013

LEARNING

Less violent than TLOTR, but very intense

Parents need to know that this movie is quite violent, but less violent than The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The sequences of violence are very intense, including prolonged battle sequences, some carnage, and lots more. There is no swearing or sexual content, but Gandalf constantly smokes a pipe, where people don't know what he is smoking.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJimmy Jimmy March 20, 2013

Excellent

Its a great film for tweens and up. It provides just what tweens want violence but not gore.
Adult Written bychristian2011 March 17, 2013

I would highly reccomend it for kids and adults of all ages.

The Hobbit is a fantastic fantasy action adventure which is the first of the trilogy, the violence is not too intense for some children, and the story is perfectly well - balanced and takes place 60 years before the events of the lord of the rings series and I would recommend it.
Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2013

the hobbit

epic just epic this movie was awesome very clean in one part they say a word that is supposed to mean the a word and violence that might be scary for some kids 9+ for sure!
Teen, 14 years old Written byLovelypopular123 February 28, 2013

Gollum and death

Gollum scared my child so bad and she is 14 years old. She has nightmares and she comes in my room and says " is Gollum gonna eat me". Plus there is way to much violence.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byZEMom February 24, 2013

Beautiful movie, true to LOTR, but VIOLENT in places

My 13 1/2 yr old son and I watched in the theatre. We were both shocked at the age 11 rating. While it is beautiful and magical and we both liked the movie very much, the violent battle scenes and the creepy head orc are very disturbing, fast-paced, and graphic so we would definitely NOT recommend for anyone younger than 13.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Man Goose February 13, 2013

Great movie, bit of violence

A really good movie with breathtaking graphics and a robust storyline. Was a bit violent, with the aforementioned decapitation, but that does not compare with many movies. Anybody who liked LOTR or The Hobbit ought to see this.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bySimpleSense2 February 1, 2013

First Read the Book!

A good, not great adaption of the JRR Tolkien's classic novel. If your children read the book first, this movie is fine.
Kid, 11 years old January 28, 2013

great movie but lots of violence and scary things

i am really sensitive and i really didnt like the gory action sequences. when it got closer to the end i got less scared. it has a great ending. just as a warning- if you take your sensitive child, dont take them in 3d. it intesifies it too much.
Kid, 12 years old January 27, 2013

the hobbit

some scary scenes the orc leader is a frighting sight positive role models like young bilbo baggins is scared to do the kourney at first but gets through it quite well the dwarves drink beer gandoff and bilbo smoke a smokers pipe in one scene language ass meaning jankie
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2013

An 11 year olds review of The Hobbit.

It is a great movie. I am 11 and it was a bit intense for even me. All in all, it was a very good action packed movie but was also very violent and I would not recomend it for anyone under the age of 10. The thing I was kind of bummed about was that it is only a third of the actual book.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 January 20, 2013

The Hobbit is okay, Not as good as The Lord of the Rings trilogy

The Hobbit was one of those movies that I was really looking forward to. After I saw it for the first time, I gave it four stars. But the second time around I decided to give it three stars. This is simply because the CGI was too obvious in parts. The trolls didn’t look real like they did in the lord of the rings. Another thing was that the pace was so dysfunctional. The Lord of the Rings had a steady pace. Maybe I’m being a little too critical because it’s better than most fantasy films. But when Peter Jackson sets the bar as high as he did with the lord of the rings series, you expect nothing less than perfection. On the positive side there is a lot of positive message and there is no nudity or language. The violence is not as intense as the lord of the rings series but is still light PG-13 type violence. I would say that you should see it, but just go with low expectations. :)
Adult Written bydarthsitkur January 18, 2013

better than The Lord Of The Rings

the hobbit was incredible, and it had even more crazy action than the lord of the rings movies lol
Teen, 15 years old Written byPrincessNoriBori January 18, 2013

Great, but a little scary.

I really liked this movie. Martin Freeman gave an amazing performance, as did every other actor in this film. It was both exciting and funny in parts. Though it could be frightening for more sensitive kids, it's very good and definitely worth taking your kids to if you think they'll be alright.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRedMercury January 18, 2013

Thanks New Zealand!

The First Hobbit movie is incredible. Although it hasn't entered any unfamiliar territory with the way the film was filmed or just the way the movie is making it similar to LOTR, the good thing is that is what makes it awesome! Whether it is three Mountain Giants fighting each other or the picturesque Middle-Earth (New Zealand) landscapes. Although it is a Slasher type of movie with many sword fights and intense battles between the trolls, orcs and goblins. At times it is gruesome but it is handled in a humorous kind of way. Overall, great prequel that I feel has handled all expectations if not more than what i expected.
Parent Written bysadiedira January 16, 2013

Great Movie!!!!!!

Huge cliff hanger! Great dialog and camera angles! The story sticks to the book and Great acting! Coputer anime rocked!! highly recomend!!!!!!