All member reviews for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Tolkien tale isn't as great as LOTR, but better for tweens.

Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2013

Great!

I love this movie and its 2012 one of best movie I'd recommend 10+ because I saw this in theaters when I was nine and there were some intense sene throughout and disturbing images of fantasy violins and gore violonce.so when I saw it again nothing was nothing disturbing and i was 10nothing gory and violent disturbing and I mostly payed attention to it more tan idid to it in theater I'd say 10+ and 5/5 stars
Teen, 13 years old Written byNature Kid April 30, 2013

Overall, it's pretty good and worth watching.

It's a great movie, but not for some of the younger audiences. While it may be true that eleven is slightly over the top, it isn't that far off. There are some scenes that wouldn't be appropriate for younger children. Even nine is pushing it. If you or your child have a fear of blood, heights, unfair animal treatment (even if they don't die), small dark crevices, or creepy little creatures that talk to a ring and call it "Precious", this movie might not be for you. It's not that it's an incredibly violent movie... it just has a few scenes that parents may want to speak to their children about after it's over. However, there are many good things to be learned from this. Since beliefs about what positive role models and positive messages refer to may differ, here are a few: - Loyalty - Friendship - Overcoming pride - Self sacrifice (This is definitely one to talk about to kids. Specifically the 'when' and 'where' part.) - Courage - Stepping out of your comfort zone (You could say this is another discussion starter.) - Going against tradition/refusing to give in to peer pressure (This is definitely one to talk about. It could be considered either, so you may want to try to convince the little ones that not ALL tradition is bad, etc.) Those are only a few of the positive messages/role models that pop up. Of course you'll take what you will from it, and what you take from it might be different from what I did. On the other hand, though, I do hope that you watch it and get as much out of it as I did! Have fun watching; it's worth it!
Kid, 12 years old April 25, 2013

Two Thumbs Up, But The Ending Is Wierd.

That is a great movie, the ending is kind of strange to me, and the violence can be disturbing to young children, but still a good PG-13 movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAnnieC April 23, 2013

as good as the book

Part one of the Hobbit is the beginning of Bilbo Baggins' adventure. Bilbo and the dwarves face many trials, both physically and mentally. One of the big lessons is trust. Thorin has to learn to trust and stop doubting Bilbo. Another lesson is in courage. Even though Bilbo is scared, he still faces his fears and enters dangerous situations. I hope the other two parts will be as good as this one. It's a great movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKayla502802 April 23, 2013

neardy movie

This movie is about a hobbit is who doesn't like to go out of his house (hole) and a wizard and dwarfs found him and they go on an journey to win the dwarfs kingdom back they do have a lot of violence but besides that it was a great movie
Kid, 12 years old April 21, 2013

NOT FOR YOUNG KIDS!!!

the movie is good, but not for kids under 7.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybranman894 April 14, 2013

The Hobbit movie would make J.R.R Tolkien proud

The Hobbit is one of the best movies of the year. It is exciting, it stays true to the book, and Martin Freeman is excellent as the hobbit. The special effects are great and so is the movie. Watch it.
Kid, 9 years old April 2, 2013

Rating

The Hobbit is a amazing movie. I do not agree that it is a 11 and older show. It is very good. There is no bad words at all. But at sometimes it could be intense for your children too see. Lots of fighting with swords in this movie. I saw this movie when i was nine years old.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhomealonefan123 March 25, 2013

Less violent than TLOTR, but very intense

Parents need to know that this movie is quite violent, but less violent than The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The sequences of violence are very intense, including prolonged battle sequences, some carnage, and lots more. There is no swearing or sexual content, but Gandalf constantly smokes a pipe, where people don't know what he is smoking.
Kid, 10 years old March 25, 2013

freakin awesome

cool movie!!!!!!! i love this movie and im hoping to see the other two!!!!!! watch it
Teen, 13 years old Written byJimmy Jimmy March 20, 2013

Excellent

Its a great film for tweens and up. It provides just what tweens want violence but not gore.
Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2013

the hobbit

epic just epic this movie was awesome very clean in one part they say a word that is supposed to mean the a word and violence that might be scary for some kids 9+ for sure!
Teen, 14 years old Written byLovelypopular123 February 28, 2013

Gollum and death

Gollum scared my child so bad and she is 14 years old. She has nightmares and she comes in my room and says " is Gollum gonna eat me". Plus there is way to much violence.
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2013

The Hobbit

I LOVE this movie so much! It really leaves you hanging at the end. It has some violence. Some scenes show blood so if you don't like blood don't watch this! It has no language that I can think of. Some of it might be a little scary. A village burns down and some people die. I would really recommend this if you like action and adventure!
Kid, 9 years old February 16, 2013

THE BEST

THE BET MOVIE EVER 3STARS WHY THAT I SAW IT ON THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS EVE
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Man Goose February 13, 2013

Great movie, bit of violence

A really good movie with breathtaking graphics and a robust storyline. Was a bit violent, with the aforementioned decapitation, but that does not compare with many movies. Anybody who liked LOTR or The Hobbit ought to see this.
Kid, 10 years old February 10, 2013

THE HOBBIT FROM A 10 YEAROLD'S EYES.

I went with my dad to see the hobbit when I was 10 and I loved it. Since I already read it, I was really excited to watch it. In the first scene my heart started beating a little faster than usual (because it was pg-13), but by the time they started on their adventure I really liked it. There is a lot of blood and gore I do have to admit, but if you go with someone my age don't leave right when you start to think the violence is to inappropriate for them, let them make the choice of staying and watching it, or stop watching it on their own, and tell them it's all a fantasy.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOrangepike January 29, 2013

What?

Why is this somehow okay for kids? This is surprising considering it rates medium in many categories. Many games I've looked at on this site have less demeaning factors, but rate "Not For Kids" anyway. Hello? I'm just pumping in some logic here. They also don't account for the tense or scary moments that occur throughout the movie that might put on edge these kids who are able to watch this movie but not play Halo, for example.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMaggieeg2 January 28, 2013

Beautiful, I cried... Twice

This is an outstanding movie. Althought it is 2 hours and 45 minutes, plus around 15-25 minutes of commericals it adds up to a 3 hour movie. I have sene this movie around 3 times, the first in 3D and 48 frames it was outstanding, the second was 2D but still managable (I was with my mom who can't stand 3D), and the third 3D. The movie does have a postive message, but with a little violence mixed in and a few pipe smokers but still great. But do warn if you bring children under 7 give them walking breaks because they will get jittery, I learn that the hard way with my brother. Others may dissagree with my out take of the outstanding film because I am a major LOTR fan but still. But, remember there is a outstanding cliff hanger! Plus, it beautifully stuck the the Hobbit story line. Can't wait for the second, and third!
Kid, 11 years old January 28, 2013

great movie but lots of violence and scary things

i am really sensitive and i really didnt like the gory action sequences. when it got closer to the end i got less scared. it has a great ending. just as a warning- if you take your sensitive child, dont take them in 3d. it intesifies it too much.