All member reviews for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2013

BEST MOVIE EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This movie is the best movie ever made so great just some violence but so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybranman894 December 14, 2013

The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey was better

The Hobbit the Desolation of Smaug is too long to start things off. I'm a Lord of the Rings fan so I'm okay with the run time but this one didn't have what the others did (including The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey). The special effects in the film are great and Smaug himself looks fantastic. Benedict Cumberbatch's voice is chilling and some of the acting is fun to watch. The actions scene's are done well too except they are too long. There are some things in the movie that do not happen in the book also. The story was also too drawn out. Now I'm against spoilers in reviews, because I feel like if your reading a review your deciding if you should see it or not, but I do have to mention one thing that is a spoiler. If you have not seen The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug you should not read this next part. I'm assuming if you are still reading this you have seen The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug or you just don't care about spoilers. The cliffhanger is basically the same exact cliffhanger they leave you with in The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey. Basically what happens in the first hobbit is Smaug's eye opens up and that is the end of the movie. In this cliffhanger Smaug fly's away into the land to kill people. They are the same because you think the same thing when you see them both. When you see Smaug open up his eye you think to yourself, okay so now he's going to get up and kill people. In this cliffhanger you see him go into the land to kill people. They both end with you thinking the same way. The cliffhanger doesn't move the story the cliffhanger just stays the same. If you go to see the cliffhanger be resolved then you should not see this movie. Overall the movie was on the lower end of okay.
Kid, 11 years old December 15, 2013

Good overall

I went to see this film yesterday for my 11th birthday party, and I must say, it was better than the Hobbit 1: The Unexpected Journey, which was boring and slow-to-start. This film should be fine for over 10s, but there are a lot of scary scenes: including fights with disgusting creatures, Orcs, in which a lot of slitting heads and arrows-through-chests take place, and one scene with huge, horrible spiders. This is maybe a bit intense: but overall, this is a good film which gives out the positive message of how good reigns over evil and how everyone is brave deep down despite how much others doubt this.
Kid, 11 years old December 15, 2013

Amazing.

This was the most amazing movie! There was some violence when Bilbo is fighting Smaug to get the Arkinstone, but it wasn't super bad. There also was this particularly long scene involving giant spiders, and I'm terrified by those so that terrified me, but after, it was okay. There isn't one single bad word in this whole 2 hour movie. I was impressed. Bilbo is a good character. When everyone else gave up, he kept on. He helped in so many ways and kept everyone alive. Overall, this was a fantastic movie! I recommend it to 10+.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAlreadyTaken December 14, 2013

Great

Peter Jackson delivers once more with his second installment of The Hobbit. Although this one departs farther from the book, much of the added content is well-produced action that entertains. The violence is probably a bit higher than An Unexpected Journey, with hosts of orcs being slain and several decapitations; however, there is little blood or gore. No issues with language, and despite the addition of the female elf Tauriel, sexual content is kept to a minimum. If your kid could handle the first one and enjoyed it, Desolation of Smaug will be fine for them to watch, and they'll definitely enjoy it.
Kid, 12 years old December 16, 2013

Much better job, Peter Jackson.

This was a great movie- much better than the first one. I particularly enjoyed the ending- hearing the groaning of the people in the theater. From giant spiders to the return of Sauron, this violent, yet positive movie about not giving up will be much more enjoyable and less boring than the first. Good for kids 10 and up.
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2013

BEST ACTION MOVIE FOR KIDS AND ADULTS!

This was so good but very long to watch in the movies! There are some scary images that will scare little kids and you have to watch the first movie before seeing this one but trust me that this one was better than the first one!
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah December 20, 2013

I hated the first and I genuinely like this.

I hated the first one. I thought it was a poorly-paced, borderline incoherent mess with abysmal visuals and its 48 frames per second made it look like a BBC made-for-TV movie from the '70s. But this one was a surprise. Thank God they fixed almost everything, because this was more fluid and cohesive with improved visuals and less distracting HFR. Why did I see it in 48 frames per second if the first looked like ass? Because I wanted to review what the filmmakers intended and envisioned. It's still intermediately distracting and I would definitely prefer 24 frames per second, but it didn't make me want to stab Peter Jackson, so I guess that's a plus. The pacing is way better but inevitably takes a jarring halt because the film is two hours and 41 minutes; I had to get up and watch the last 30 minutes while standing from the theater entrance because I was so antsy. But then again, the first Hobbit movie only had me involved for about 30 minutes total. Vast improvement. The visuals are way better, even though the orcs look fake as hell and they distracted me to no end, but Smaug looks very convincing, even if some parts look like a video game. The plot is fine, but this is a rare example of me being thankful for action sequences since they redeemed the screenplay's awkward trying to tie itself to The Lord of the Rings. All of the acting is good, the directing nicely balances drama and comic relief, and the action scenes are great, namely the barrel river sequence. The 3D is good and improves the immaculate set design. If they make the next shorter and tidy up the frame rate's looks more, it'll be even better. I'll just never be able to ignore how padded the Hobbit films are and how much better it could have been in one three-hour movie, not three. 7.1/10, good, one thumb up, above average, etc.
Kid, 12 years old December 26, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug- Review

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is a large step from the first movie. From the Peter Jackson cameo at the beginning to the cliffhanger at the end, this movie has no bag-packing and decision making unlike the first. This movie targets the LOTR fans as well as younger audiences. Parents could watch out for some frightening images and a couple hidden positive messages. A-
Teen, 13 years old Written byroborvisci December 18, 2013

Awesome movie. Don't watch if you haven't seen the first.

This is a pretty good movie. It is pretty violent, but that's what keeps it interesting. Numerous orcs get decapitated and at least two of the heads are in full view. A few orcs get arrows through the head, including one that, in 3D, looks like it's getting ready to go through yours. Thranduil, the elf king, looks like his face is melting off when he's talking to Thorin right after they're captured. Kili flirts with Tauriel. I just want to say one more thing... how does this get off with being 11 year old appropriateness?! No offense to 11 year olds, but this is pretty violent, and rated pg13 for a REASON.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLordoftheRings1997 December 17, 2013

AWESOME FILM!

THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING! If you loved the first one, then you will love this one! My one issue with the film was the violence. We see a few heads fly, and the spider sequence is very scary and violent. Great positive messages and role models! There is a bit of romance in this film, but nothing that parents should be concerned about. They don't even kiss or anything! There is some drinking, and we see one or two characters asleep from drinking too much. Some character's smoke as well. Overall amazing film. PJ has blown me away again! I love the book, but I am on the verge of loving the films more!
Teen, 15 years old Written byironkid21 December 16, 2013

Hobbit sequel has its moments including big webs of big spiders, and a really cool escape sequence, and a cliffhanger ending but otherwise, I found myself mostly bored throughout the really long running time.....

Kid, 11 years old December 16, 2013

Darker than the first one. More violent. Still another great Peter Jackson movie

Darker than the first one. They definitely put some stuff in the movie they shouldn't have. Jump worthy moments are included but nothing to scary. Smaug is a masterpiece. More violence than needed including a realistic decapitation with the decapitated body jerking. My dad didn't like that. Still a good movie.
Kid, 10 years old January 1, 2014

Hobbit

This movie is extremely dark and violent.This is just as dark as LOTR.The whole movie features orcs getting killed and decapitated.I think the first LOTR and the hobbit 1 are much more appropriate.My sister that is 8 had to leave the theater in the first 2 scenes.There is a half hour dragon battle that is realistic.In the third movie thorin dies.Not a good movie skip it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySnowyjoe January 2, 2014

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Review

This installment of The Hobbit was much more violent than the first. It includes four or five beheadings, and many orcs are stabbed or shot with arrows. Also one scene shows a orcs neck with an arrow through it pinned to a wall. But despite the excessive violence, no inappropriate content or swearing was used, which is hard to find in a movie. The Hobbit is nothing compared to The Lord of the Rings though.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFamilyTrek January 2, 2014

Contains more violence than the first.

Moderate violence. A goblins head is chopped off. One of the dwarves is shot in the knee with an arrow, until one of the villains saves him with a spell and soon turns good. A spiders legs are ripped off by the dwarves.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKin24 January 2, 2014

Great movie, but lots of violence

I absolutely loved this movie! Even though it did have some parts where I wanted to kind of jump out of my seat at times, this movie was well done. There is violence in this movie such as: Shooting with bows and arrows, dwarves fighting with the Orcs and elves also fighting against the orcs. There is also using swords to stab large sorta- scary spiders and the dwarves get wrapped up in webs. Also the dragon in this movie can be intense for some kids. Along with the dwarves drinking in some parts of the movie. It is suited for more pre- teens and teens ages: 11 and Up
Teen, 17 years old Written byshrekmaster December 26, 2013

It's Okay.

The Hobbit was good movie with some sexual innuendo but a whole lot of violence. The film had practically zero blood though, even with shooting arrows in the eyes, chopping heads off, getting shot in the legs brutally the film displayed not a lot of blood. If there was blood it would have been a guaranteed R-rating.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe age organizer February 7, 2015

The hobbit the desolation of smaug

12 and up
Kid, 8 years old January 30, 2015

It's ok

Too much violence for little kids and a little scary