All member reviews for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Sequel bolstered by brave elves, scary dragon, big spiders.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybranman894 December 14, 2013

The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey was better

The Hobbit the Desolation of Smaug is too long to start things off. I'm a Lord of the Rings fan so I'm okay with the run time but this one didn't have what the others did (including The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey). The special effects in the film are great and Smaug himself looks fantastic. Benedict Cumberbatch's voice is chilling and some of the acting is fun to watch. The actions scene's are done well too except they are too long. There are some things in the movie that do not happen in the book also. The story was also too drawn out. Now I'm against spoilers in reviews, because I feel like if your reading a review your deciding if you should see it or not, but I do have to mention one thing that is a spoiler. If you have not seen The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug you should not read this next part. I'm assuming if you are still reading this you have seen The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug or you just don't care about spoilers. The cliffhanger is basically the same exact cliffhanger they leave you with in The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey. Basically what happens in the first hobbit is Smaug's eye opens up and that is the end of the movie. In this cliffhanger Smaug fly's away into the land to kill people. They are the same because you think the same thing when you see them both. When you see Smaug open up his eye you think to yourself, okay so now he's going to get up and kill people. In this cliffhanger you see him go into the land to kill people. They both end with you thinking the same way. The cliffhanger doesn't move the story the cliffhanger just stays the same. If you go to see the cliffhanger be resolved then you should not see this movie. Overall the movie was on the lower end of okay.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written bywillowtrees11 December 13, 2013

Finally a movie my kids can see.

Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2013

BEST MOVIE EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This movie is the best movie ever made so great just some violence but so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Written byAnonymous December 14, 2013

I loved an unexpected journey and somehow this is better in every possible way 9.4/10

This movie was just epic! It was better than the first one in every way and the first one was amazing. It ends in such a why? and no! way. I can't wait for the next part. This had quite a fair amount of violence for 12A and some blood. Decapitations are seen a few times. You must watch this if you liked the first movie. It is funnier, darker, just so awesome!
Teen, 14 years old Written byDorotea Dukovac August 19, 2014

I am dissapointed

It is OK, but it is not that what i was expected. My friends like it so much, but not me. The Lord of the Rings is much, much better than this.
Teen, 17 years old Written byshrekmaster December 26, 2013

It's Okay.

The Hobbit was good movie with some sexual innuendo but a whole lot of violence. The film had practically zero blood though, even with shooting arrows in the eyes, chopping heads off, getting shot in the legs brutally the film displayed not a lot of blood. If there was blood it would have been a guaranteed R-rating.
Parent Written byDJM45 December 16, 2013

Fun but too violent for my 10 year old.

I enjoyed the film very much. Its definitely a middle film of 3 and so a lot of loose ends to be tied up next year. It was a very violent movie with mostly bad guys getting killed through arrows, decapitation (One very graphic) and sword play. A lot of the action scenes seem to be setup to map to games more than the film making it cute. A very enjoyable 3 hours and I spotted the cameo from Peter Jackson!
Teen, 15 years old Written byironkid21 December 16, 2013

Hobbit sequel has its moments including big webs of big spiders, and a really cool escape sequence, and a cliffhanger ending but otherwise, I found myself mostly bored throughout the really long running time.....

Kid, 8 years old January 30, 2015

It's ok

Too much violence for little kids and a little scary
Kid, 12 years old December 6, 2014

What Happened to You Guys

As a movie, it's okay. As a book to a movie, WORST THING EVER. I mean a 300 page book into 3 movies. Uggggg!!!!!!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMoe-Z-Mom January 3, 2014

Bored with the Non-Stop Action & Violence

I was disappointed with the constant action and violence in this movie. Although I had not read the books, I enjoyed the story in the first Hobbit movie and was looking forward to being drawn into the fantasy. Instead I became bored with the constant special effects and grotesque characters that pushed the story along with a pile-up of facts but no depth. The special effects are well done but are mostly violent and depict demonic looking and sounding creatures. The most redeeming quality of the movie is that it has no bad language or sexual content. The loyalty and bravery of the dwarfs and elves were also positive.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byForPetesSake January 2, 2014

My kids aged 11 and 6 were surprisingly unfazed by this movie

My boys are a pair of scaredy cats when it comes to movies - my youngest age 6 whimpered through bits of Frozen and asked to go home! I would not normally risk a movie like this but they both enjoyed the Hobbit Part 1 on the small screen and were desperate to go. But they took this Hobbit and the previous one in their stride. There is not much Psycho style build up so it seemed violent but not scary if that makes sense. There was a lot of fighting action but the battles seemed unreal and it is hard to empathise with the orcs. The biggest challenge for some kids may be the length of the movie - nearly 3 hours which is quite long but it remained enjoyable even though I think they could have cut about half an hour
Adult Written bychristian2011 December 15, 2013

Another exciting sequel to the 1st. Yet slightly more violent and dark.

The Desolation of Smaug, in my opinion, was even better than the first prequel because the antagonist Smaug was brilliantly portrayed and highly relevant to the previous older works - his character, personality, and dialogue was brilliantly executed. This sequel contained more exciting and thrilling action sequences with the orcs, spiders, and the dark encounter with the dark lord Sauron. The violence is relatively graphic and intense, but there's hardly no blood or gore, some of it is partially humorous - due to the dwarfs. There's a few scenes and implications of drinking and drunkenness (dwarfs and the elves), but nothing graphic at all. The scenes with the ferocious and ruthless dragon Smaug and the giant spiders can be quite frightening and scary for younger, more sensitive viewers.
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2013

BEST ACTION MOVIE FOR KIDS AND ADULTS!

This was so good but very long to watch in the movies! There are some scary images that will scare little kids and you have to watch the first movie before seeing this one but trust me that this one was better than the first one!
Teen, 17 years old Written byAlreadyTaken December 14, 2013

Great

Peter Jackson delivers once more with his second installment of The Hobbit. Although this one departs farther from the book, much of the added content is well-produced action that entertains. The violence is probably a bit higher than An Unexpected Journey, with hosts of orcs being slain and several decapitations; however, there is little blood or gore. No issues with language, and despite the addition of the female elf Tauriel, sexual content is kept to a minimum. If your kid could handle the first one and enjoyed it, Desolation of Smaug will be fine for them to watch, and they'll definitely enjoy it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 24, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written bystrudelkitty827 July 21, 2015

Probably My Favorite Hobbit Movie

This is my favorite Hobbit movie, followed by Five Armies. Benedict Cumberbatch delivers as a scary, chilling dragon. The acting was fun to watch, and I really enjoyed it. You may not like it when you first watch it, but, when you read the book, you appreciate the second movie the most. Whenever I watch this movie I want to start reading the book, which is a great inspiration for kids. This has the least amount of violence in the Hobbit trilogy, but there is still plenty, so leave this movie for the older ones.
Teen, 14 years old Written byParkerSmykle July 5, 2015

a great hobbit movie

a great hobbit movie 5/5 stars
Teen, 14 years old Written bytoysorama. May 26, 2015

Pretty dang good

It's no Lord of the Rings, but out of all three Hobbit films this one's the best. It has some action and frightening imagery that may be scary for younger viewers but nothing too bad
Kid, 8 years old May 18, 2015

Amazing fantasy has violence, and brief language, but ok for Tweens.

My rating PG-13 for: intense violence, and brief language.