All member reviews for The Host

Lots of kisses, but "Twi"-fi thriller isn't that compelling.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJTDB March 28, 2013

Some screenwriters are murderers.

*SPOILERS* This movie absolutely murdered the book. I loved the book The Host ( I have read it many times and know parts off by heart) and this movie almost ruined the book for me. I did keep in mind, and you should too, that this is a movie adaption of a book so it is bound to be lacking somewhere and in my opinion movies are never as detailed or in depth as the book but this movie was almost unacceptable. The director and screen writer missed IMPORTANT scenes and events such as Wanda's face getting half grazed off on the rock wall, they did a terrible job of covering her and Kyle's fight (when he tried to kill her), then there was no tribunal or soccer match to lift tension. There was no Wanda helping Walter as he was dying. There wasn't even a Walter in the movie. Also they missed the best quote/part in the book; when Ian says to Wanda something along the lines of "It's not the face but the expressions on it, It's not the voice but the words you say with it" There was nothing of that sort. Also the only characters actually named in the movie were: Wanda, Mel, Jared, Ian, Jaimie Kyle, Jeb, Maggie and 'The Seeker' or Lacey (who managed to wake up and remember her name straight away). Lily, Aaron, Brandt, Wes, Walter and all the other humans in the resistance weren't mentioned. So all in all, this is an amazing book and the film did not do Stephanie Meyer's work justice.
Teen, 13 years old Written by Swim3456 March 29, 2013

very good movie, but the book is better

I have read the book and absolutely LOVED it. I was so excited to see the movie. I was not too disappointed. It was very well acted and well done. it was true to the book, but did leave some good stuff out of it. I enjoyed it very much. There is very little violence, but there is some. Almost zero swearing and sex, only kissing. I could go on and on about the book and how i ship O'Wanda and Jelanie (lol sorry to people who are confused), and stuff like that, but that has absolutely no relevance to how appropriate the movie is. So, it is a very good movie, and definitely appropriate for anybody over the age of 10. But read the book first!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2013

Age Appropriatness

This movie has very little violence, but has some. I thought it was a really good movie. It has some kissing scenes but no sex, just some making out scenes. I think this movie is for kids 11 and up because of the kissing and violence scenes
Parent Written byDan G. March 30, 2013

Not teen friendly!

This movie is not teen friendly, unless you want to expose your teens to somewhat explicit intercourse between unmarried young people, (no actual nudity). Besides that, there is significant violence, a few quick gory scenes, expressions of suicide, and a couple instances of rough language. The movie attempts to teach that tolerance is OK, but falls flat on its face as the main characters are fighting intolerantly of the situation they are in (zombies rule the world). Besides all that, it is a pretty dull and boring movie.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg May 25, 2013

Clearing up Misuderstandings

Ok, first off I want to clear off some misunderstandings I read when I was reading the reviews of other members: 1) It is aliens taking over human bodies NOT zombies. 2) Aliens are actually GOOD. (Protagonist and Antagonist) They are good because they thought they were saving the humans by taking over their world. Aliens are not violent. They trust each other. They made the world a PERFECT world. They are bad because they took over the human's bodies. And humans have a right to control their own bodies. Now.. What I thought about this movie. I really loved that the movie portrayed the characters and scenes exactly how I imagined them. However, what I did not like about the movie was that 1) it left out important scenes 2) it was boring if you already read the book. And FINALLY, I rate this movie for kids 12 and up because there is a lot of intensive kissing. Please note that this movie is more romance than actually adventure. It might bore you a bit. In conclusion, I think you would really enjoy this movie if you like romance but not so much if you like adventure! I would not recommend this movie for kids not allowed to watch kissing and this movie might be a bit hard to understand and get what's going on... even my mom could not understand and I had to keep explaining it to her because I read the book!
Parent Written bysurby April 11, 2013

no no no

very violent I dropped my older child and my 9 year old and they were very exposed to adult content
Parent Written byytydfhfghfgh April 16, 2013

Great movie!

Great sci fi! Only a few kissing.
Parent Written bynimswa April 8, 2013

Good Adaption of the Book

Portrayal of the book was on and I think they did a great job with the special effects. The little girl sitting next to me (aged about 10) couldn't sit still because she was bored. I liked it a lot.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKassidyC April 29, 2013

Yet Another Waste of Time

Please don't spend your money on this. I literally abandoned it after the first 18 and a half minutes. What killed it for me was the voice of 'Melonie' in 'Wanderer's' head. I understand that in the book they probably had more time to get to know each other. But in the movie, 10 minutes in Melonie said "I hate you." in such a childish way... as if that was supposed to be some deep, scary threat. The dialogue of Melonie and the way she said things was cringe-worthy and horribly directed. The movie's a waste of time for me.
Kid, 10 years old December 16, 2013

AWESOME

really good movie !
Kid, 12 years old August 9, 2013

Definitely different

Wasn't one of Meyer's best, but okay I guess...
Teen, 13 years old Written byCristian Ramos July 17, 2013

Amazing movie!!!

I am in total love with this movie but the only problem I see is sexuality. There is a lot of kissing and making out between teens including one with a man shirtless but that's as far as it goes. There might be a little issue with violence but I didn't really mind it. In one scene at the beginning a girl jumps off the edge of a building trying to save her brother but she dies in the fall. It isn't bloody at all but there is one scene that a girl walks through a desert and her skin looks very dry and disgusting because of how hot it is there.
Teen, 13 years old Written byinfinite-hope April 13, 2013

Worth watching!

This movie was absolutely incredible! Most movies ruin the book but I think it made the book even better! Most of the characters looked exactly like how I'd imagined them to look like and their acting were superb. It might be sort of confusing if you haven't read the book yet, though. I definitely recommend you to read the book, then go enjoy this amazing movie!
Teen, 15 years old Written byPride and Prejudice April 13, 2013

Dissapointed

I read the book and loved it. While comparing it to the book may be unfair, I found that it was pretty disappointing. I had such high hopes for the movie, but they changed too many details. Also I found that the movie was a lot more about the kissing and relationships than the story from the book. All the make out scenes make it extremely awkward to watch with family.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKaterina Maria April 8, 2013

First Movie that Lives up to the Book

This book from movie by Stephanie Meyer I think came out very fast and unexpected. I had read the book a while ago and then suddenly BOOM a trailer is on TV! Crazy....The movie and book is meant for adults but it apeals to teens I think more. This movie I feel is better than the Twilight series- this is coming from a TwiHard. The start of the movie is very fast and I recommend sitting in the back of the theatre otherwise your gonna be moving your head pretty fast. Wanderer- or Wanda- is a very strong "parasite" who does the right thing in helping Melanie- the human whom the worms are inhabiting- find her family in the middle of the desert. There are some passionate make outs but thats about it. There is a scene that I think was sex but its so fast and blurry I can barely tell. Some language but not bad. It is a very good movie and people that read the book will not be dissapointed. Might jerk a few tears though... :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byEpicKingKong April 6, 2013

Ignore the critics, this film was awesome!

Earlier this week I went to see The Host at the cinema with low expectations due to the fact that this film was based on the novel written by the same author who wrote Twilight. However, I found the film completely different to any of the Twilight films and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It had a fascinating plot, some really awesome action scenes and was very emotional. There was a lot of romance in it which I enjoyed, but it wasn't overly or unnecessarily romantic and it certainly contains more action than kissing. After I saw the film I decided I had to read the book. When I began reading the book I refused to stop reading it for 5 hours, it is a masterpiece! The book contains many details that weren't shown in the film which simply makes the story more interesting, however, I can understand that readers of the book would be disappointed that some of these details aren't mentioned in the film. The only other disappointing aspect of the film was that it went on for quite a long time, but other than that it's an excellent film and everyone should see it! As for the actual content in terms of what is and isn't appropriate for some children, there are some things that parents to young children should be concerned about. First off, there is some violence it this film that may be for a positive purpose but still doesn't give many positive messages. For example, there are various depictions of attempts at suicide. The film begins with a girl almost being killed from jumping out of a window and later on two men succeed in killing themselves by driving into a concrete wall. In another scene, a girl gives herself cuts on her arm and forehead with a knife in order to obtain medicine required to save her younger brother. Other depictions of violence include men being shot in the head at close range and some brief shots of blood-stained environments. Other than that there isn't very much inappropriate content in this film bar one scene which briefly and discreetly implies that two characters are having sex. In general I don't think this film would appeal to younger children (3-11ish) simply because they wouldn't enjoy or understand relevance of the plot nor would they like the romance which is key to the emotions this film generates. I think teenagers and adults would find this film much more engaging and with that said everyone in that age category should go see this film as soon as, BECAUSE IT'S AMAZING!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byaidanqm1996 April 5, 2013

Fine movies, but a little dry

Being based on a book written by the same author as the Twilight series, I was expecting audiences to be more than thrilled to see this movie. I was wrong, proven by its terrible opening weekend gross. The film was pretty good, but seemed a like it was lacking strength. The trailer made it seem like the film would have this big climactic ending that would give me chills and make me cry. But it didn't. The movie is decently clean, compared to most PG-13 movies these days. There is some mild language here and there, and characters share some sultry kisses. There is one scene where Melanie/Wanda has a flashback to her and Jared rolling around in bed. We don't see anything explicit, although the sheets are millimeters away from revealing a bit of Jared's bare rear end. Overall, it was a fine movie. A few of the effects were a bit cheesy, but it was enjoyable.

Violent,racy YA book based thriller is very disturbing.

My rating:PG-13 for sequences of racy content,some nudity,including some graphic violence.