All member reviews for The Host

Teen, 14 years old Written byJTDB March 28, 2013

Some screenwriters are murderers.

*SPOILERS* This movie absolutely murdered the book. I loved the book The Host ( I have read it many times and know parts off by heart) and this movie almost ruined the book for me. I did keep in mind, and you should too, that this is a movie adaption of a book so it is bound to be lacking somewhere and in my opinion movies are never as detailed or in depth as the book but this movie was almost unacceptable. The director and screen writer missed IMPORTANT scenes and events such as Wanda's face getting half grazed off on the rock wall, they did a terrible job of covering her and Kyle's fight (when he tried to kill her), then there was no tribunal or soccer match to lift tension. There was no Wanda helping Walter as he was dying. There wasn't even a Walter in the movie. Also they missed the best quote/part in the book; when Ian says to Wanda something along the lines of "It's not the face but the expressions on it, It's not the voice but the words you say with it" There was nothing of that sort. Also the only characters actually named in the movie were: Wanda, Mel, Jared, Ian, Jaimie Kyle, Jeb, Maggie and 'The Seeker' or Lacey (who managed to wake up and remember her name straight away). Lily, Aaron, Brandt, Wes, Walter and all the other humans in the resistance weren't mentioned. So all in all, this is an amazing book and the film did not do Stephanie Meyer's work justice.
Teen, 13 years old Written by Swim3456 March 29, 2013

very good movie, but the book is better

I have read the book and absolutely LOVED it. I was so excited to see the movie. I was not too disappointed. It was very well acted and well done. it was true to the book, but did leave some good stuff out of it. I enjoyed it very much. There is very little violence, but there is some. Almost zero swearing and sex, only kissing. I could go on and on about the book and how i ship O'Wanda and Jelanie (lol sorry to people who are confused), and stuff like that, but that has absolutely no relevance to how appropriate the movie is. So, it is a very good movie, and definitely appropriate for anybody over the age of 10. But read the book first!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2013

Age Appropriatness

This movie has very little violence, but has some. I thought it was a really good movie. It has some kissing scenes but no sex, just some making out scenes. I think this movie is for kids 11 and up because of the kissing and violence scenes
Teen, 13 years old Written byKassidyC April 29, 2013

Yet Another Waste of Time

Please don't spend your money on this. I literally abandoned it after the first 18 and a half minutes. What killed it for me was the voice of 'Melonie' in 'Wanderer's' head. I understand that in the book they probably had more time to get to know each other. But in the movie, 10 minutes in Melonie said "I hate you." in such a childish way... as if that was supposed to be some deep, scary threat. The dialogue of Melonie and the way she said things was cringe-worthy and horribly directed. The movie's a waste of time for me.
Kid, 10 years old December 16, 2013

AWESOME

really good movie !
Kid, 12 years old August 9, 2013

Definitely different

Wasn't one of Meyer's best, but okay I guess...
Teen, 13 years old Written byCristian Ramos July 17, 2013

Amazing movie!!!

I am in total love with this movie but the only problem I see is sexuality. There is a lot of kissing and making out between teens including one with a man shirtless but that's as far as it goes. There might be a little issue with violence but I didn't really mind it. In one scene at the beginning a girl jumps off the edge of a building trying to save her brother but she dies in the fall. It isn't bloody at all but there is one scene that a girl walks through a desert and her skin looks very dry and disgusting because of how hot it is there.
Teen, 13 years old Written byinfinite-hope April 13, 2013

Worth watching!

This movie was absolutely incredible! Most movies ruin the book but I think it made the book even better! Most of the characters looked exactly like how I'd imagined them to look like and their acting were superb. It might be sort of confusing if you haven't read the book yet, though. I definitely recommend you to read the book, then go enjoy this amazing movie!
Teen, 15 years old Written byPride and Prejudice April 13, 2013

Dissapointed

I read the book and loved it. While comparing it to the book may be unfair, I found that it was pretty disappointing. I had such high hopes for the movie, but they changed too many details. Also I found that the movie was a lot more about the kissing and relationships than the story from the book. All the make out scenes make it extremely awkward to watch with family.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKaterina Maria April 8, 2013

First Movie that Lives up to the Book

This book from movie by Stephanie Meyer I think came out very fast and unexpected. I had read the book a while ago and then suddenly BOOM a trailer is on TV! Crazy....The movie and book is meant for adults but it apeals to teens I think more. This movie I feel is better than the Twilight series- this is coming from a TwiHard. The start of the movie is very fast and I recommend sitting in the back of the theatre otherwise your gonna be moving your head pretty fast. Wanderer- or Wanda- is a very strong "parasite" who does the right thing in helping Melanie- the human whom the worms are inhabiting- find her family in the middle of the desert. There are some passionate make outs but thats about it. There is a scene that I think was sex but its so fast and blurry I can barely tell. Some language but not bad. It is a very good movie and people that read the book will not be dissapointed. Might jerk a few tears though... :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byEpicKingKong April 6, 2013

Ignore the critics, this film was awesome!

Earlier this week I went to see The Host at the cinema with low expectations due to the fact that this film was based on the novel written by the same author who wrote Twilight. However, I found the film completely different to any of the Twilight films and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It had a fascinating plot, some really awesome action scenes and was very emotional. There was a lot of romance in it which I enjoyed, but it wasn't overly or unnecessarily romantic and it certainly contains more action than kissing. After I saw the film I decided I had to read the book. When I began reading the book I refused to stop reading it for 5 hours, it is a masterpiece! The book contains many details that weren't shown in the film which simply makes the story more interesting, however, I can understand that readers of the book would be disappointed that some of these details aren't mentioned in the film. The only other disappointing aspect of the film was that it went on for quite a long time, but other than that it's an excellent film and everyone should see it! As for the actual content in terms of what is and isn't appropriate for some children, there are some things that parents to young children should be concerned about. First off, there is some violence it this film that may be for a positive purpose but still doesn't give many positive messages. For example, there are various depictions of attempts at suicide. The film begins with a girl almost being killed from jumping out of a window and later on two men succeed in killing themselves by driving into a concrete wall. In another scene, a girl gives herself cuts on her arm and forehead with a knife in order to obtain medicine required to save her younger brother. Other depictions of violence include men being shot in the head at close range and some brief shots of blood-stained environments. Other than that there isn't very much inappropriate content in this film bar one scene which briefly and discreetly implies that two characters are having sex. In general I don't think this film would appeal to younger children (3-11ish) simply because they wouldn't enjoy or understand relevance of the plot nor would they like the romance which is key to the emotions this film generates. I think teenagers and adults would find this film much more engaging and with that said everyone in that age category should go see this film as soon as, BECAUSE IT'S AMAZING!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byaidanqm1996 April 5, 2013

Fine movies, but a little dry

Being based on a book written by the same author as the Twilight series, I was expecting audiences to be more than thrilled to see this movie. I was wrong, proven by its terrible opening weekend gross. The film was pretty good, but seemed a like it was lacking strength. The trailer made it seem like the film would have this big climactic ending that would give me chills and make me cry. But it didn't. The movie is decently clean, compared to most PG-13 movies these days. There is some mild language here and there, and characters share some sultry kisses. There is one scene where Melanie/Wanda has a flashback to her and Jared rolling around in bed. We don't see anything explicit, although the sheets are millimeters away from revealing a bit of Jared's bare rear end. Overall, it was a fine movie. A few of the effects were a bit cheesy, but it was enjoyable.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTJ101 November 7, 2014

Good Movie Different From the Book

It has a good storyline but there is some touchy subjects on suicide which will be intense for younger viewers (under 13) there is a fair amount of passion. Many sequences of kissing some very passionate and one with two charactera in bed. You see a bare backs and side of a tailbone and they are rolling around and kissing. Also sequences of violence (shooting punching choking etc.)
Teen, 13 years old Written bylibbykk April 6, 2014

Good... But not the best

If your child has not yet talked about sex, than this may not be the best movie. There are no real sex scenes but the scenes do suggest that it's leading up to that point.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzombee_babe August 11, 2013

Awesome movie

My friends and I couldn't wait to see the movie, since we had all read and loved the book. The movie did not disapoint, my friends and I were all in tears by the end. I would reccomend this movie to anyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKenzi333 July 24, 2013

The Host

I found this movie really compelling, and really disagree with the two star rating. This movie was super interesting and keeps you guessing. The ending took me by surprise. I also disagree with Melanie's Louisianan accent being annoying, most of the time I didn't even notice it. But that doesn't mean it was difficult to tell whether Wanda or Melanie was speaking, it was crystal clear. The most creative part of it was the love quadrangle. Stephanie Meyer's specialty is love triangles, and in The Host she adds a cool twist: Jared can't kiss Melanie without kissing Wanda, who is in love with Ian. Ian can't kiss Wanda without kissing Melanie, who is in love with Jared. And both Melanie and Wanda have conflicting feelings for both boys. It was a pretty cool little twist. I personally thought this movie was fantastic, and plan on reading the book!
Teen, 15 years old Written byBooks rule April 26, 2013

enjoyable

I really enjoyed this movie. It was close to the book, but there were moments that they took out or added things that I don't think were in the book. Also I recommend that you read the book first. You will be able to understand the movie, but you might be confused in the beginning. I would see it again.
Teen, 14 years old Written byN1K343V3R April 23, 2013

Lot's of Buzz, but not a lot of Good Content

Whenever there is a new Stephanie Meyer film that comes out, there's typically lots of buzz, but not a lot of good content. The Host is just your stereotypical love story of someone disappearing then coming back, and of course, there are obstacles in the way. I felt that the Host was on okay movie overall. Jared, one of the main characters wasn't even shown that much in the movie. There wasn't much showing of Jared and Melonie/Wanda together which made it slightly disappointing/unfinished. I felt like there were missing pieces to the story as well. As for kissing, not too much, but there are a few scenes that scream "wow!". I as a 13 year old girl who happens to love romance, this wasn't very fulfilling. It's an average movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCHLOE OLIVER7 April 22, 2013

THE HOST

i think this is a really good film, i knew what was going to happen from the trailer. i didn't mind the romantic bit as there was that much. when this film comes out on dvd i'm definitely the one who is getting it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMisANNAKelly April 8, 2013

Plesantly Surprised...

I really enjoyed this movie and after reading the book i was pleasantly surprised. I would not say the movie is as good as the book but the director did a good job on this film. I thought each actor/actress suited their role perfectly and every character was played very realisticly. Although this movie covered the main story line the director/script writer missed out on a few very important details; Like the death of Walter, A lot of characters were not mentioned, the strong relationship that grows between Wanda and Melanie, The description that Wanda gives of her previous lives and worlds she has lived on and some important lines near the end. From reading other reviews from parents and viewers who have not read the book I can tell this movie would have been slightly confusing eg. At the start of the movie Melanie jumps through a window, many assumed she was commiting sucicide when infact she was protecting Jamie and Jared from being capured and killed. To understand this movie you must be willing to understand it and be willing to have to concentrate during this moving, the same with all sci-fi movies ,this movie is suitible for those who like this type of media and enjoy these types of books. Ofcourse there will be violence it's a sci-fi movie and the whole idea of the of this movie is that Melanie love is strong and she will do anything to protect those she loves, if it is fighting for them or expressing her love for Jared by kissing. I think this is a really good movie that i really enjoyed. It is teen/young adult aimed movie that i think is very appealing to that age group.