All member reviews for The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)

Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 March 24, 2011

Easily My Favorite Disney Movie

I absolutely LOVE this movie. The visuals are phenomenal. The overall message, which is about accepting people, is very good. The outcasts win in this movie. This film is widely regarded as Disney's darkest movie, though. The antagonist, Frollo, is probably the most evil Disney villain out there. Frollo might be scary to little kids, seeing as he kills several innocent people, burns down houses, etc. Frollo has one of the best songs ever put in a Disney movie, called "Hellfire" in which he confesses his lust for Esmeralda and that if he can't have her, the fires of Hell will. Frollo's lust for Esmeralda goes right over little kids' heads. Quasimodo, the protagonist, is a very likeable character, and proves that looks aren't everything. Esmeralda, the female protagonist, is a strong character with a great personality. I like the narrator Clopin also. My favorite line in the movie is during the opening song:"Who is the monster and who is the man?" Overall, excellent movie that might be a little scary for kids.
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2011

This is the most terrifying Disney movie I have ever seen!!! 6+ is NOT ok!!!! Common Sense usually overrates, but this one is underrated!! This movie is NOT for little kids, even though it has a Disney label. Watch it before you let your kid see it;or it may scar them like it did me.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHiddenWolf May 4, 2011

Now this is the shitz! I love this movie! Its my favorite Disney classic as well as one of my favorite books. I just love dark childrens movies and this is one of the ones I love the best. It has one of the best openings other than the Lion Kings, strong and beautiful soundtrack with in my opinion the best villain song 'Hellfire'. This was back when Disney, mind me had balls. Sensitive parents will turn away in a heartbeat. I grew up with Disney and I love this. I watched it when I was about 5 years old and I wasn't scared. Now there is violence and sexual references (Quasi almost drowned in a well as a baby, Frollos lustful obsession over Esmeralda, Esmeraldas dancing scene, the scene in the church with Esmerelda and Frollo, plus alot more.) Plus I wouldn't look up to Frollo as a good role model plus in the song Hellfire I think they use curse words.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylimabeanzrule May 22, 2014

Easily the most adult G rated movie I've ever seen

There are quite a bit of things in this movie that could scare kids under 7... For example: People dressed up like skeletons, sneaking up behind the main character Hooded figures who's faces cannot be seen And houses being set on fire, by some deranged sadist BUT... The characters are well developed, the message is good, and it has one of the best Disney villain songs in history.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLittle Cupcake July 14, 2013

Thoroughly Enjoyable Film has Some Dark Themes

This is a very touching yet entirely entertaining and enjoyable film. Its characters are very lovable, and the villain is just easy to despise. However, it was not marketed to the appropriate age group and I don't know how Disney snagged a G rating for this. Little kids who watch it won't notice some of the darker, more mature themes in the film, but they are there. There is a whole song, "Hellfire", that describes the villain's lust for the lovely (yet sensually dressed at times) Esmeralda. However, Quasimodo is just too lovable to skip this film. Definitely watch it. The songs are amazing, the animation is brilliant, and you are sure to be entertained. Don't miss out on the quotes by Phoebus and Achilles! :-)
Teen, 13 years old Written byRoosterman April 16, 2013

One of my favourite Disney films of all time!

I love this movie! I've watched it since I was just 5 yrs old and loved it. Well, I didn't even get most of it until I was older. I'll start with the pros of this movie first and then the cons. Quasimodo (the protagonist) is a loving character who cares a lot for all things great and small. His friends (the comedians of the film) are gargoyles who try to help him out a lot. Their outrageously funny characters (in my opinion) but kids are sure to love them. Esmeralda is a caring woman who cares a lot for her people, who are gypsies, and she is caring for people who are different as well, such as Quasi. Frollo, who is the main antagonist, is definitely NOT a good role model. He continuously uses threats against others and tries to burn a house down with an innocent family inside of it (though they are rescued by phoebus). Frollo also lusts over Esmeralda and that may go over kids heads. But then again, it might not since little kids most likely won't understand it. He threatens her and makes her choose to marry him or burn her. Hell is used in the film, BUT it is referring to the place. Damnation is used once in a religious term, so nothing serious. Esmeralda is about to call Phoebus a Son of a- but phoebus tells her to watch it, since they're in a church. Esmeralda's dance scene features her wearing somewhat revealing clothes but no private parts are shown, so everything there is fine. There is a really dark song in the film called "Hellfire" sung by Frollo as he tries to fight his sexual desire for Esmeralda. This song may frighten little kids, but don't worry, because after that song is a fun, up-beat Broadway style song sung by the gargoyles. It is really fun to dance to. There is a really good message in the movie too, about not judging people by their looks and it's important to see who they are inside and not out. Overall, this is a really good movie and would be good to watch with kids who are about...say 5 and over.
Teen, 14 years old Written byferret lover March 16, 2012

two words, LOVE IT!

I LOVE this movie! I am a very big Hunch back of Notre Dame fan, Disney did an awesome job! It is pretty fair for young kids, but Frollo desires Esmeralda, and sings a song called Hell fire. In one part of the song he sings, "This burning desire is turning me to sin". Which means Frollo wants to have sex with Esmeralda.Pheobus gets injured, at the feast of fools people are shown lightly drunk,but not all people. Esmeralda dances a little iffy, and her dress shows a lot of cleavage. Over all this is a fantastic movie! one of my Disney favorites!
Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2012

G rated??? I think not.

This film is great with nice messages. But should be rated PG.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 May 11, 2011

Classic True Beauty Shines Within Movie

This is a wonderful movie for tolerance, but isn't as light hearted as other Disney movies. It's a fantastic story with a very realistic villian for Disney. However, Frollo is genocidinal and tries to murder all the gypsies, and has lust (not love actual lust) for Esmerelda and threatens to kill her if she doesn't marry him. Children won't understand this however, and will most likely enjoy the talking gargoyles. Hell is said several times by Frollo in religious manners. Such as I'm sending it back to hell where it belongs.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybwayboy January 19, 2011

Great Movie with overlookable concerns

OK: Parents stop putting it down!!! Personally this is my favorite Disney film. The violence is a little much: lots of fire and darkness, but the sex is like for five seconds: little kids aren't gonna get the meaning of Hellfire they just think it's a villain wanting to kill a girl and unless you're like Frollo and keep your kids locked away in a tower they see girls wearing less then Esmerelda does (altough her dance is suggestive) Despite these minor details it has comic relief through the gargoyles, absolutely amazing music, and a great moral. Watch this movie, it's amazing
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 November 8, 2010

Probably Disney's darkest film

Quasimodo's appearance always scared me off from watching this film, and I think I appreciate better now than I would if I was 7. Tons of adult themes like religion, righteous punishment, and choice of love and ostracizing others. It really is a rich film, you have to appreciate that great quality of animation. I'd say let kids watch it, but tell them to rewatch it once they're tweens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byheyjessie July 8, 2010

it scared a 13-year old.

I just finished watching this movie, and I have to say that it's the most mature Disney movie. Esmeralda wears revealing clothes for that time period. And then there's Frollo, who has to be the most terrifying Disney villain ever. The whole movie is intense, and there's also cursing. I was suprised they let "d-mn" into a Disney movie. The "H-llfire" sequence was intense and is about lusting after Esmeralda and hell, which is also a surprise for a Disney movie. However, it's a good movie, don't let it turn you off.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMariodude23 May 11, 2010

This movie is a masterpiece in every sense of the word and one of the best that Disney has ever produced. The animation is stunningly beautiful, same for the songs which also tell the story in the most effective way since the Beauty and the Beast. It's also as dark as the Beauty and the Beast, heck, it's as good as Beauty and the Beast. Frollo is (in my opinion) the best villain Disney has put in a movie. This is where the inappropriate stuff comes in. Frollo lusts after Esmeralda, attempts to kill her, offers her freedom to 'be his'. It also has the battle scene against Notre-Dame herself! All this mixed in with themes of the Catholic Church make this Disney's darkest tale, and not suitable for young kids. But if you do happen to show this film to the kids there is the extremely out of place gargoyles who try to lighten up the story with some pretty weak comic relief. Not for young kids, but above that age that you decide is too young, then they can enjoy.
Teen, 16 years old Written byGorilla G Swagger April 9, 2015

Just because it's disney does not means it's always for youngsters

Just because this film is disney does not make a film fine. Really scared me when I was little.
Kid, 12 years old February 15, 2015

"Destroy Esmeralda, and let her taste the fires of Hell!" Really? A very misunderstood film.

Sure it's Disney, sure it's usually found in the "kids and family" section. But Spike is here to tell you that it is FAR from it. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a very dark title. Think about it. Lust, Hell, death, religion, racism, and scariness all in a 1996 film. So don't pop the movie in the DVD player just yet. Make sure your kids are old enough to deal with this kind of stuff. A good start is viewing the "Hellfire" sequence first. It's on YouTube, and it's an excellent song, but scary for younger kids. Red hooded figures drag Judge Frollo into Hell during the song! But don't worry, the heroes win at the end. And hey, talking gargoyles! I'd say 12 or older for this movie. At the right age, it really can be a good, fun, and entertaining movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanimateddisneyfan December 13, 2014

it's a good movie! There are great messages, songs, and role models! For example Quasi is kind and caring for Esmeralda, his gargoyle friends, phoebes, and the evil Master Frollo. Esmeralda is similar and she can take care of her self and doesn't always depend on somebody to always be there for her. Frollo is evil and cruel he almost drops baby Quasi into a well but is luckily stopped and he also sort of makes fun of Quasi several times through out the film but he does have his good things to such as he did take somewhat good care of Quasi like feed him, dress him etc. But other than that I say this is a good film with great songs and messages like never judge a book by it's cover. FYI there is some violence but it's more funny violence then evil violence(but there is that kind of violence in the movie as well.) But GREAT film I really liked it! :)
Teen, 16 years old Written byCinemaSister November 9, 2014

Like Dark Chocolate...

I honestly disliked the film as a young child, and only watched it after discovering "Hellfire." The film, in one word, is a masterpiece; the height of the Disney Renaissance. Technically, the animation is stunning, and the attention to detail in Notre Dame is impeccable. The CGI crowds didn't age well, but the crane shot in the "Sanctuary" scene is one of the best in movie history. As expected in a Disney film, the voice acting is top-notch, with Tom Hulce's expressive, boyish voice providing a perfect contrast to Tony Jay's dark, sinister rumble. The score alone is enough to express the beauty of the film- the French Horn even graces the comedic "A Guy Like You" and the hysteric Latin chorus will send shivers up your spine. Truly, it is Menken's finest work and is sorely underappreciated. Personally, I was able to identify with Quasimodo and Esmerelda, the outcasts of the film, and their musical numbers, "God Help the Outcasts" and "Heaven's Light" are enough to bring tears to your eyes. Overall, the film is like dark chocolate; younger people tend to dislike it, and not all adults have a taste for it, but when put into the hands of someone who enjoys it, it is appreciated for the lovely thing it is.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKi-RBT August 29, 2014

The worst of it may not be noticed by the younger crowd

While this is a movie intended for kids, it is nonetheless dark, particularly for Disney. If a child is used to their princess movies, which tend to be on the lighter side, they may be shocked by some of the violence and other scary scenes in this film. However, the worst of it (in some ways) is probably the song 'Hellfire'. I personally love this song, but its subject matter (Frollo lusting over Esmeralda) may be a problem, though young children may not even notice it at all.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykiwisan July 29, 2014

Great but dark themes

This movie was shown to me was I was quite young and it gave me nightmares for days. Just if you are a parent and you want to watch this with your children preview it before hand.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMidori K. March 10, 2014

Fine For Kids - Mature Themes Flew Right Over My Head

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a really wonderful movie and the animation is beautiful. I watched it with my little sister (12 yrs) for the first time a few months ago and loved it. Kids over the age of 9 or so should be able to watch this unless they're unnaturally squeamish or overly sensitive. (Kids these days...) Great Messages - Acceptance, redemption, love, diversity, inner strength, optimism, self sacrifice, not giving up, facing adversity and a bunch of other stuff you'd be happy to see reinforced. Great Role Models - All the protagonists are basically good role models, especially Esmeralda and Quasimodo. Violence - Quite a bit for an animated flick, but it shouldn't be a problem. Nothing very graphic. Sexual Stuff - I'm a thirteen year old girl and the mature themes flew over my head. I didn't even know it contained those lustful, mine-or-you-die themes so I doubt littler kids will even notice. I just thought the guy hated gypsies so he wanted to kill her.