All member reviews for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Fans will approve of gripping, violent middle installment.

Teen, 15 years old Written bydoodlebuggy(: November 23, 2013

SO AMAZING IN EVERY WAY.♥

Catching Fire blew my mind to pieces. It was SO MUCH BETTER than the Hunger Games, so if you have any low expectations, I promise you those will be gone by the end of the movie. Francis Lawrence created such beautiful action shots and everything was real on set and it was fantastic. The graphics, costumes, makeup, and choreography--everything was executed beautifully. The best part was the ACTING, oh my goodness. I wish I'd brought a pack of tissues because I was bawling. GREAT MESSAGES: Katniss was great as always. Everyone, especially Katniss, faces problems to save their families and do what's in the best interest of the people. They set good examples of doing what's right and caring for others, despite their horrible governmental control. In the games, Katniss and Peeta and their allies all work together to save themselves and great examples of sacrifice are displayed. -VIOLENCE: It's the Hunger Games so of course there's some violence. I'd say the worst part was when Cinna was getting beat up and Gale was getting whipped. During the actual Games, however, there wasn't as much blood shown as in the first movie. There are some stabbings, arrow shootings, fire, and the other expected violence. -KISSING: There were multiple kiss scenes, yes, but nothing a 12 year old can't handle. They're a bit more than just "pecks," but again the kisses have to be somewhat real, right? There is one scene where Johanna strips down in the elevator, but no body parts are shown. No inappropriate scenes. -LANGUAGE: One character says "f--k you!" but it is bleeped out, and several other "unfriendly" words hahaha. As long as your kids know that these words are inappropriate, then they should be fine :) -ALCOHOL: Haymitch will be Haymitch. He's an alcoholic so he is constantly holding a drink, and Katniss joins in once. Most kids know that alcohol is a no-no so I don't think that's a huge problem. GO WATCH IT. It was amazing watching it on the big screen and I promise you, you'll love it, especially if you're a fellow HG fan. LOVED IT! :)
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2013

See the Movie!!! Already saw it twice

Love, love, loved the movie! Though I do not want to spoil anything, this was a satisfying installment to the movie series, keeping the good parts, but eliminating the other sections as to make it a PG-13 movie. There was mild language, more than the book, but Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Finnick, etc. are great role models, demonstrating bravery and selflessness for one another, sticking up for what they believe in. Other characters sacrifice themselves for others. There was some violence and gore, including a few severe injuries, but it shouldn't disturb most teens. Few kisses and a few alcoholic beverages during a celebration and with a certain character, but overall an excellent, emotional adaption for any fan!
Parent Written byEl Paso Counselor November 22, 2013

Better than the first!

It was such a fabulous movie! However, it was violent and disturbing, but then again, that is the point. A mature teenager would benefit if the right conversation is happening at home. An elementary kid has no business watching this film. Conversations about kindness, empathy, and moral values can easily happen regarding this movie. I felt this movie did not have as many disturbing killing scenes but the deaths that happened did tug at your heart. It was less ruthless than the first with more emotions involved.
Kid, 11 years old November 22, 2013

Great Movie: Mature Tweens and up

This was very incredible. It had more action, romance, and language. Language includes three use of f---, which are all bleeped out, one use of s---, d---, a--, and son of a b---- twice. Sex includes innuendo in an elevator, kisses, and marriage talk. Violence, which there is plenty of, includes gun shooting, stabbing, hand-to-hand combat, a scene of which a character is repeatably whipped, a scene of a morphing covered in gore, and scenes of blood and disturbing poison exposure. This does have good role models, though. I would rate this: PG-13 For intense violent action sequences, disturbing and frightening images, language, and innuendo.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymlee0607 November 21, 2013

AMAZING!! WATCH IT!

This is one of the best yet! It has such an exhilarating plot and amazing characters. The movie was ten times better than the first one and you will not be disappointed. It copied the exact things coming from the book, i've read it like five times and it captured the city, the glam, and the essence of the battles Katniss and Peeta go through. I love how the directors captured every growing scene. Good job!
Kid, 11 years old November 23, 2013

AMAZINGLY PERFECT I LOVE FRANCIS LAWRENCE NOW

Some swearing, some curses are "bleeped" out, which if not bleeped I probably wouldn't have been seeing the movie, so thank you, Francis Lawrence for the bleep. Anyway, there was a lot of violence so if you're not okay with blood and violent actions, I sadly wouldn't recommend it to you. In my opinion, IT WAS AMAZINGLY PERFECT. I've been going crazy about it so I'm so glad I got to see it. The end was great. So dramatic! AHHHHHHHHHH FINNICK WAS PERFECT I loved it and I hope you will too.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywinston2470 November 22, 2013

THE BEST!

This was a fantastic film! Amazing! Things to watch out for: LOT'S OF VIOLENCE. Characters are stabbed, impaled with tridents, shot with arrows, and more. Haymitch is drinking a lot, and Katniss drinks once in the movie, and she's only 17. Several swears. Overall, amazing!
Parent Written bySam Donder November 24, 2013

Catching Fire bring up important topics, is brilliant, intense, but violent

Catching Fire is an incredible movie that is full of thrills and important messages about class warfare. The movie’s plot has lots of twists and turns and it is very exciting throughout the 146 minutes. The violence in this movie is intense making it not appropriate for younger fans of the book. You see rebels including an old man beaten and sometimes killed by armed police several times, during the hunger games people are killed in hand to hand combat, and a man is whipped severally and bleeds. There is more romance the first, it is mostly kissing, but in one scene a women undress in an elevator (nothing is seen). Lastly the themes are mature and might fly over the heads of younger viewers. The movie tackles the issues of power corruption, class warfare, and police brutality. Overall this movie brings up great topics, but has too much violence for younger kids.
Teen, 16 years old Written byrebma97 November 24, 2013

Better Than The First (4.5/5 stars)

I saw Catching Fire with a friend Sunday and it was really good! It was better than the first one, which I thought was great, too! Of course they couldn't put everything from the book in the film, and I could have done without the love triangle, but overall I think they did great for what they had. The storyline's more political focus was better than the first film's more focus on survival. On a side note, there was no shaky camera in this one (yes!) Jennifer Lawrence continues to surprise me with her acting ability and almost made me cry at one point. The other cast was good, too. Violence: Tons, probably more than the first book. As the rebellion sparks in the Districts, an older man is shot (off-screen). Gale is shown being whipped in one scene and you see his wounds and hear him cry out in pain (it's kind of intense). Once the characters get into the Games, things get more brutal; scary monkey mutations come out of nowhere and attack. Katniss and other tributes are infected with a poisonous gas and receive nasty wounds from the poison. Some explosions are seen, and many characters are killed. Sex: Katniss kisses Peeta and Gale. A female tribute, Johanna strips naked in front of Katniss to make her feel uncomfortable (nothing sensitive is shown). Katniss wears a semi-revealing top (it's a bit see-through) near the beginning of the Games. Johanna asks Katniss how it feels to have the world want to sleep with her. Also, Finnick is seen flirting with Katniss and is shirtless. Language: "s--t" is used by Haymitch and "h-ll" and "son of a b*tch" are used by Katniss. Also, Johanna says the "f" word twice but it's bleeped out. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: Haymitch is an alcoholic and is seen getting drunk at times. Katniss also drinks in one scene. Some tributes in the Games are called "Morphlings" because of their addiction to the drug.
Kid, 12 years old November 24, 2013

AN EPIC THRILL RIDE WITH A MESSAGE (Sorry about the long review)

After reading the user reviews for the first movie, I was extremely disappointed at how audiences that hadn't read the books reacted at this movie. They kept saying it had no message whatsoever, and that it was just a horrible way of entertaining kids our age. I thoroughly explained that they just didn't understand the point of everything, and that they should read the books before giving an opinion. Other people said they got the message, but they just wished they had shown it without the violence. I explained that Gary Ross had to up the violence, in order to make an impact on the people who watched the movie. For the second movie, I feel like the users understand the movie better than Common Sense. I sat in the theater at 12:00, waiting for everyone to finally have their angry thoughts on the first movie replaced with emotional bundles of happiness, that hope is stronger than fear, that there is always a way to right the wrongs, that you must learn to stand up for yourself, and create your own mockingjay. I sit writing this review a changed person, because I feel like this movie was exactly what I wanted it to be. It included the emotional scenes that I loved, the gritty scenes that showed just how wrong the Capitol was, and even some of the funny scenes. (The elevator scene with Johanna was hilarious!) It showed that even if President Snow said that even the strongest couldn't defy the Capitol, that a single person with an influence could. It showed what our community could become, and that reality shows and entertainment were getting off hand. It showed that when you stand up for yourself, an entire nation can follow. Brilliantly acted and perfectly paced, the plot of this movie was a bridge from the first one, connecting the totalitarian government to the SPOILER ALERT! rebellion that will unfold in the third one. I am extremely disappointed that Common Sense Media gave this movie four out of five stars, because for the people who didn't read the books, it gave the first movie more meaning. It finally showed Katniss in deliberate rage, and Francis Lawrence allowed himself to go more in depth with the characters than Gary Ross ever did. I felt like this isn't a movie that deserves four stars like Common Sense did, and that it poignantly gave us a depth of the characters we'd never seen before. This is a hands down five star movie, and I feel ashamed for Common Sense that they didn't understand this one as well as the first. For example, from the very first scene, Francis Lawrence expertly showed us the aftermath the Games gave Katniss. SPOILER ALERT! (When she shoots at the turkeys and the arrow goes through Marvel) Another example of this is that we finally get to see the Capitol's reactions to the Games, like when we see Effie crying regretfully, and that she is so sorry she ever acted like a Capitol puppet. This is not a "really good" movie like Common Sense says, but a five star movie that gives a different point of view of life, than any other movie I have ever seen. So wake up Common Sense, like Haymitch would say, and watch the movie again. Sandie Angulo Chen, I encourage you to rethink the movie's themes, and compare this movie to the first in every single aspect possible. This isn't a movie that simply entertains, like the epic Harry Potter and the amazing Twilight Saga, but it is a movie with a moral aspect of life and standing up for what you believe in. Thanks, and I hope you liked my review. (Sorry it was so long :))
Educator Written byflower2011 November 23, 2013

Better Than the First But More Language

This movie overall was more intense and suspenseful compared to the first movie. I have read the entire book series and "Catching Fire" is my favorite out of all three books. The language is worse than the first movie. I went in tonight to the theater thinking that there was not a lot of language basing this off Common Sense Media's review. There was one clear use of s***, another kinda cut off, the f-word was bleeped out, h-word, d-word, and TWO uses of son of b****. The b**** word wasn't even mentioned in CM's review so I was shocked when I heard it. Please be aware that it is in there. Then there is a girl who takes off her dress in the elevator and all you see is her back. Other than that, there is no nudity. I didn't see any private parts, or anything like that at all. There seems to be some more violence between the actual game and the rebellions, but nothing too horrific. This movie will keep you on your seats and there are a lot of things you won't see coming.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykate317 November 21, 2013

ASTONISHING MOVIE

Brilliant movie! It was ten times better than the first one! Totally exhilarating and half the time you were crying and the other you were on the edge of your seat. Verdict for parents: It has tons of good messages, families can talk about war and doing what's right. It also has Katniss and she is an amazing role model. Sure she kills people but she does it to survive. She protects her friends and family and will do anything for them. Violence. Much more violence than the first. There is a lot of deaths but they are mainly shot fast and blurry. The only deaths I think we can worry about are Cinna's and the guy from eleven's. Also Gale is whipped. That science was probably the most violent. Not much sex. A few kisses. Nothing to worry about. Swearing. Sh-t is said once and f-ck is beeped out but yeah. Idk what that dollar sign stands for and there's quite a bit of drinking but that's not shown in a positive way so it's not a negative thing. Overall the violence isn't the issue but the mature themes are, the meaning behind it all is the real issue. SO YEAH 5/5! AMAZING MOVIE!
Parent of a 8, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byCloneslad November 23, 2013

Catching Fire, cathes fire.

This is a terrific film. Brought my 10 year old and 12 year old boy and girl respectively. The fourteen year old didn't want to go and the eight year old is too young for it. Tense "creepy" edge of seat stuff. Excellent, A rarity, up there with the book. Donald Sutherland is superb.
Parent Written byQuagmire Bling November 28, 2013

No, no, no!!

This movie is a nightmare for kids seeing it. Very disturbing to say the least. The whole idea gives me flashbacks of genocide and other war crime children need not be afraid of even as an adult I can't see the "message" or attraction. It's like Survivor mixed with America Idol but with a kill or be killed message. Also there is pointless killing etc Any romance is the least of a parents worries with this film.
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah November 23, 2013

Better than the first.

Amazing. So so so so good. I haven’t read any of the books, but I saw the first film opening day and loved it, causing me to see it three more times, and this is even better. This takes essentially everything that worked about the 2012 movie and betters it, and despite its excessive length, I was truly enthralled for a vast majority of the time. Instantly grabbing you, it deftly balances strong drama and contextually appropriate humor, with its acting enhancing it all. Jennifer Lawrence brought salty tears to my eyes several times, and I was highly entranced by its social commentary regarding exploitation and reality television, and I loved how it was depicted as subtly satirical at times. The characters are deeply developed and even shallow characters like Effie Trinket and Caesar Flickerman are deepened, all subtly, showing their small cracks in their seemingly superficial façades. It’s far more thought provoking than its predecessor as a whole. The costumes are amazing and the enlarged budget shows, but it’s far too long. Ironically, the titular Hunger Games are possibly the more expendable part. They go on for too long and are different in content that the hour and a half before it, making it to be almost (but not quite) slightly jarring, and sort of borders on repetitive. It’s better than the original, but it definitely should have been about fifteen minutes shorter. Regardless, I cannot wait for the next one, and the next one. 9/10, amazing, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bymarierm November 23, 2013

Disturbing and entertaining story of oppression and rebellion

The first time I heard about the concept of The Hunger Games I was horrified at the basic concept, not understanding that the story was on my side. That point becomes much clearer in this second film of the trilogy. Whereas the first film leaves you feeling mostly hopeless, as it was meant to, Catching Fire, with all of its brutality and heartbreak, drags you through and then lifts you up, just enough to forshadow hope for what Mockingjay will bring. The most compelling thing about The Hunger Games are the themes which coexist in the real world today: the duality and contrast of violence against and oppression of the citizens versus the wealth and disgusting excess of the Capitol. As is in our country today, the media tries to distract the citizens from the reality of poverty and inequality of distribution of wealth with celebrity fashion and romantic fairy tales, and as in many nations ruled by dictatorships, uses random brutality against its own citizens to try to instill fear to keep them under control. Although the early violence in this film brings to mind the genocide and torture that happens in middle eastern countries, there is little blood, and for the most part it makes its point and moves on to the horror of the Games. However those earlier violent scenes are otherwise realistic and definitely not for young children. As our protagonist tours the districts, she sees signs that the capital is losing control, and even as they are using her to keep it, she is becoming an unwitting symbol of hope and rebellion for the citizens. Only when President Snow realizes he can't stop the tide does he decide to send her back into The Games, determined to kill her this time by any means necessary. But as the opening ceremony begins, it becomes apparent that the rebellion is also coming from within the Capitol. Jennifer Lawrence shines the most when she is channeling unimaginable anguish and rage, (or fending off Jack Nicholson) and when Katniss realizes she has to go back into the Games while suffering from PTSD, you look at her face and you feel what she feels. The teasers tell us many times that this episode is all about knowing who to trust, which is very much true, but not apparent until the final scenes. The new characters are charming and mysterious. The new Head Gamemaker is immediately introduced as a possible ally; Philip Seymour Hoffman's quiet and focused demeanor could go either way, as is the case with former games winner Finnick, with Sam Claflin's sly smile impossible good looks, and gregarious personality. Woody Harrelson's alcoholic Haymitch is toned down and much less pathetic this time around, and Jenna Malone's Johanna provides spunky dark humor. Despite these questions, with this second installment the most important thing really is to "Remember who the real enemy is". And it's done; I'm officially a 45 year old fangirl.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMarc Fotley November 21, 2013

Take your kids, but READ this first.

"As Katniss kills with finnesse, Francis shoots with precision". I disagree with the above review however as I do not agree that it was more violent than the first. Sure, it had its moments but the one expected violent scene is not as you expect: The Cornucopia Bloodbath. Stabbings, bows, but all with no blood. If you let your child see the first alone, you have no problems with this such magnificent film. But perhaps if you are new to the world of Panem, you might consider watching the first by guidance and deciding yourself what is best. Minimum age is probably 12, and 11 is stretching it but when I went this evening I saw 5 year olds: (to each his own) as every child is mature to their own taste and only parents no. good things to know: NO MORE SHAKY PARKINSON'S CAM! This time, camera-work, and filmmaking is marvelous, cutting clean when violence is evident and leaving worse to imagination. Sexuality is not an issue as only kisses and the majority are not passionate except for perhaps one. Stabbings, one scene of an arm being cut but it is seen offscreen only blood is shown ( IMPORTANT TO STORYLINE), poisonous fog, menacing monkeys, and arrow wounds are the worst you are witness to see.Drugs are not as much of an issue as Peeta refuses a 'pink liquid to make him sick as to eat more' offered to both Katniss and Peeta at a Capitol Party. Expect high stakes, shockers, surprises, and a magnificent sequel in this edge-of-your-seat thriller. 5 stars!
Parent Written bylauralibby88 December 2, 2013

Catching Fire is Amped up Violence but Great Movie

As an adult I loved this film. It was a great follow-up to the first. I was hesitant bringing along an 11 year old with the parent's permission. That said, I know this kid and knew she loved the first and enjoyed this one too. However, I would say most children 12 and under shouldn't see it. It's like the first, but everything is amped up. The violence and sex are more prominent, as the contestants are all older. There are scenes that would have made me uncomfortable well in to my teens to watch. It's a great movie with a great message and a strong female role model. But there's no harm in waiting for the kids to start watching movies like this when there older.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 18 year old Written byMaureen62667 December 1, 2013

Not for young children

This movie is awesome for adults. it may be suitable for mature 12 year olds and 13 and up children, especially if followed by meaningful conversations with a parent. The movie is grim, contains violence, and a theme involving oppression along with children forced to kill other children in order to survive. I was shocked to see children ages 2-10 at this movie with their parents. Please do not take you young children to this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPeythepenguin November 24, 2013

Great!!

For the many fans of the book, it is quite important that the movie stay true to the novel. In this case it does..very well actually. There a couple things missing but only one or two of the events will be noticeably gone (unlike the previous installment with its many holes.) The acting is solid (Lawrence presents excellent talent, as always), the cinematography is much better this time around, and the visual effects and special affects makeup are high quality (wouldn't be surprised is it gets an Oscar nom for best make-up). no matter how amazing this movie is, there's no lying that is not for all ages. There is some drinking (mostly done by Haymitch), infrequent kissing, one suggestive scene, some profanity (two bleeped out f---s, b----, s---, h---, nothing too much) and intense violence. Violence is the biggest thing to be wary of. There is stabbing, drowning, attacks from animals, poisoning, torture, poisoning, threats, and-of course-deaths by arrows. Overall, 12-13 year olds should be able to handle it perfectly well