All parent member reviews for The Hunger Games

Parent Written byKHTWA July 30, 2012

Troubling - but with a good role model - conflicting opinions

Troubling messages yet a positive role model - this could be hard for a pre-teen or young teen to reconcile. We reluctantly took our daughter during a large group birthday party she didn't want to miss and we were able to talk with her about the themes and how it is fiction. She was fine and she loved the movie but if it hadn't been hyped so much we would have waited until she was older.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg July 19, 2012

From a 12 year old point of view

I am 12 and i really really love the hunger games. It took alot of convincing my parents to let me watch it but they finally did give in. Now as much as I loved the book and movie, i Have to say it has a lot of bad words. Also it is very VIOLENT, if tou think the avengers is violent...well thats kind of like barney compared to this. The plot is that 24 kids are sent into an arena to fight to the death... Well it really is up to you but if i was an adult i would say NOT FOR KIDS but since i really love fhis movie i would want YOUR kids to be able to watch it too...
Adult Written byKeepitreal13 July 13, 2012

13 and up

First of all this movie is all about and the topic of this movie is death and teens killing other teens. This is a wonderful movie but has a lot of violence and intense scenes. This movie really depends on what kind of kid you have because I can tell you not all of them can handle it. This movie also has some unessesary language that was not in the book. There is also kissing and the topic of katniss not wanting to have kids.
Adult Written byKatniss E8 June 14, 2012

The Hunger Games made me Wonderstruck

This was a fantastical movie, my favorite of all time. Yes, not so violent as to earn an R rating. The only romance is kissing and snuggling. It is appropriate for twelve plus, depending on how scared you get. It isn't quite as mild as Harry Potter, but not much worse. The movie itself is incredibly well made, detailed, and just entertaining to watch.
Parent Written byjrn June 13, 2012

Loved it

Fantastic movie! Moving,psi five role model, but violent. Not for you g children.
Adult Written byfriedch1cken June 9, 2012

Moderately gory

"You don't need to be gratuitous in order to be honest and capture the intensity of the book," Hunger Games director Gary Ross said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. "Is it violent? Yes. Do we back off from what it is? No, we don't. But I'm not interested in violence for violence's sake."
Adult Written byreddycakes June 4, 2012

11 and up

11 and up. At age 11, your children should be educated on what is right and wrong. THG teaches many deep themes that most parents don't talk to their kids about. Parents think they know what their children have learned/experienced, but chances are, your child is ready to read THG at age 11. Make sure they know what it's about those, since some kids would not want to read violent books.
Parent Written byJoe Davis June 2, 2012

MUST WATCH

This is a must watch. not as graphic as he book but still action packed. i believe at the end there is a positive role model and message being told to all of us. and it is to never give up on yourself and each other like when katniss makes an alliance with rue. rue saved her from the tracker jackers and katniss fed her. same thing with peeta katniss helped his leg and he helped her head.(hey that rhymes!) the blood doesnt even look real, only when cato has blood on his face does it look real. but it is still a good movie.
Adult Written byage 10+ May 27, 2012

This Is One Amazing Adaptation

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byAlliwoo May 25, 2012

Alarming, intense, Brutal and bloody.

Too bloody and brutal for Kids. In a 7 minute sequence of the film 8 young people die in gory detail. One teenager has his throat cut and bleeds out with much spurting gurgling and crying in front of two more boys fighting for their lives. It has some of the most desperate and brutally intense killing I have ever seen in a film directed at the young.
Parent Written byAdShun May 23, 2012

Great Movie Not for Young Children

I went with my wife and am a huge fan of the books. I agree with the review here that the violence especially kid on kid can be something that you need a certain level of maturity to handle. Even in our 40s this was disturbing but if you can understand the concepts of the film and what it is trying to portray it is a great movie and adaptation of the book. I wouldn't recommend the book for children under 13 or 14 either.
Adult Written byR.Richardson May 22, 2012

The Hunger Games

Katniss is a posative role model to her followers, as she risks her own life for her little sister primrose, when her name is selected at the draw for the hunger games. She is a great character. Watch out for the violence though, as the film and books are ascosiated with kids killing eachother. I give the film 5 stars because it deserves it and it was amazing to watch. It was quite tense at some points and theire is a bit of blood guts and gore, so I reccomend this film to children over the age of 13, as the films certificate was 12A.
Parent Written byhungergameslogan May 20, 2012

I think that you people are overreacting.

My son has almost finished the series and he LOVES it. Honestly, 80 percent of kids in his class are currently reading or have finished the series. His best friend adores the series and is all about it. If you are worried about them have violent thoughts, don't be. I think that if you are willing to let your child have any choice whatsoever, allow them to read this, it is a great book.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypaulhiggins May 20, 2012

Talk to your kids about child violence. See females as strong and courageous and not objects of desire.

It is good to see a female character as a strong, smart, powerful role model (and I have 12 year-old sons who need to see women this way as most young men should). It was hard to watch children murdering each other. I used this powerful theme as a jumping off point for a discussion about the moral dilemma faced by the characters and I also was open about the reality that in other parts of the world childhood can be dangerous and violent unlike the life my children have known.
Parent Written by12358574847 May 19, 2012

great movie for young kids

i took my 5 year old and he loved it he read the books and he tought the movie was evean better
Adult Written byFilmManiac May 18, 2012

A flawless, beautiful film, I am amazed.

This is an absolute fabulous film! I can't believe this is one of those teen fairs like "Twilight". People comparing it too that have no idea what they are talking about. This is quite a thoughtful and riveting film, and I almost wish it wasn't marketed for teens because people get this idea about it, but this is worthy of a best picture Oscar nominee. I'm not kidding. Starting off, the way they film it, is beautiful. Not glam super Hollywood at all. The violence was so artfully done, and the reason it my be to much for some Tweens is the thought provoking ideas, not the images themselves. The script is wonderful, much better than the book, and the way the film plays out is wonderful. This cast is one of the best ensemble I've ever seen. Famous actors, such as Cravitzs, Tucci, Sutherland and Harrelson are, of course, great. Hutcherson give a surprisingly good performance, and young newcomers are quite good, but it is Lawerence, that makes the film. She has too carry this movie and she couldn't have done any better. She gives an outstanding performance, is more than watchable, and plays Katniss flawlessly. Without Lawerence, this film couldn't come close to what it is. You will get sucked into this movie, which is never boring, emotional, thoughtful, artfull, and is everything I didn't think it could do, and more. Gigantic thumbs up Gary Ross.
Parent Written bytreat02 May 12, 2012

Great movie. Some kids want to watch it.......

I love the books, and there is a storyline. The book is meant to show what a terrible world we live in and what may happen. It's not about "OOhh I want to be all violent" and I think that the movie is excellent, well done, and is very close to the book.
Parent Written bymary22 May 9, 2012

Best movie in the world.!

This is the best movie I ever seen in my life. I cant stop whatching it, its just awesome.
Adult Written byPeeta'sWife May 9, 2012

Not as Bad as Parents Think

The violence in this movie is barely visible beacuse of the camera technique (bouncing around everywhere) and all you see is the dead tribute laying on the grass with eyes open. The only other scary part is for a second when a muttant dog jumps at Peeta.
Parent Written bycooksarah26 May 8, 2012

SIGN MY PETITON ON CHANGE.ORG

Personally, it was disturbing with the amount of violence and kid-to-kid murders. There is a moral underlying plot, however, teenagers are rarely so intuitive to absorb the morality when the object is to entertain with violence. The slaughtering of children in this movie made me sick. I have now started a petition to have the rating changed to 'R'. THIS IS NOT SUITABLE FOR 13 YEAROLDS!!!!!